[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 6:10 AM, Kunosheru said:

@Beale if so, can I... try to "continue" it? 

I loved this mod and always wanted to be part of something like this... I have a lot of free time and live in Russia, which can help in further development... if you don't mind, please, answer

I'd love to see more probe parts for the different MV series, you should be able to make an add-on mod that fits the style if you want to add more stuff

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

They (and most of the RCS in Tantares) use LiquidFuel and Oxidiser rather than Monopropellant, so that might be the problem if your spacecraft uses Monoprop or LH2/Oxidiser

This is not the problem. I'm aware of the fact that Tantares RCS don't use monopropellant. I built a test article Polyus with Energia; it only has liquid fuel and oxidizer (and LH2 in the Energia tanks), and only Tantares parts besides separation motors and decouplers, yet the RCS pods will not activate. I have checked the settings on the pod and all activation toggles should be active, additionally the RCS is enabled so that can't be the problem either. I have not yet looked through the config files to search for an error.

Edited by septemberWaves

5 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

confirmed, same here. I had a theory since the transforms were named differently than all the other working rcs transforms, but alas that didn't help.

Hmm. I'll take a look in the config file and see if I can post a fix. Might make a thread for Tantares patches like this.

7 hours ago, billbobjebkirk said:

When I try to use the Venera lander probe, as I enter into Eve's atmosphere the heat shield survives but the probe inside is destroyed. How do I prevent this?

As far as I know you cannot, it's a known issue as far as know but at this rate it may never get fixed, just turning down the reentry heat is the only solution I am aware of sadly.

On 2/27/2022 at 4:06 AM, septemberWaves said:

Has anyone else had trouble getting the Polyus RCS pods to work? They're definitely enabled but they won't fire no matter what I do.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:25 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

They (and most of the RCS in Tantares) use LiquidFuel and Oxidiser rather than Monopropellant, so that might be the problem if your spacecraft uses Monoprop or LH2/Oxidiser

On 2/27/2022 at 9:55 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

confirmed, same here. I had a theory since the transforms were named differently than all the other working rcs transforms, but alas that didn't help.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:15 AM, septemberWaves said:

Hmm. I'll take a look in the config file and see if I can post a fix. Might make a thread for Tantares patches like this.

12 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

As far as I know you cannot, it's a known issue as far as know but at this rate it may never get fixed, just turning down the reentry heat is the only solution I am aware of sadly.

6 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

same

Apologies for issues,

This is a config error, to fix, open:

Tantares\GameData\Tantares\parts\core_polyus

Throughout the config file, you will see the name:

rcsTransform

for example:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCSFX
stagingEnabled = False

showToggles = true
currentShowToggles = true

thrusterTransformName = rcsTransform

Everywhere you see this, change it to

thrustTransform

for example:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCSFX
stagingEnabled = False

showToggles = true
currentShowToggles = true

thrusterTransformName = thrustTransform

20 hours ago, billbobjebkirk said:

When I try to use the Venera lander probe, as I enter into Eve's atmosphere the heat shield survives but the probe inside is destroyed. How do I prevent this?

I did do a few test runs with it, should in theory work :wink:

I think its tolerances are not very high though, a shallow entry is best.
Sometimes KSP occlusion is not perfect and heat may sneak around shields.

Behold, Polyus (now with working RCS (thanks Beale))!

0mPsrb2.png

5veUcYu.png

Energia flies extremely well at all parts of the launch.

MLYWxEL.png

Cr9ozpm.png

Booster cutoff and separation.

FBhcam3.png

I'm extremely glad that Mechjeb's Primer Vector Guidance works for this, otherwise i get the sense it might be a pain to determine the correct angle of flight manually.

JyVcAsN.png

Fairing separation at 60km.

1n9VM4g.png

There was a failure of one of the first stage engines late in the burn, but fortunately the engines have good enough gimbal to compensate if any one of them fails.

XpI4eXQ.png

Main engine cutoff, and separation of the Energiya rocket from the payload.

ADqFtiR.png

FJTiNXF.png

ErBP69t.png

The powerful RCS thrusters flip the spacecraft 180 degrees once at a safe distance from the launch vehicle.

FQa271e.png

Ignition of the FGB engines for the orbital insertion burn.

22Jrfmf.png

It's a very long burn.

T1iV83Y.png

Seriously it's like a four minute burn.

Q87Gf26.png

And Polyus is successfully placed into orbit, where it cannot function as a space station in this configuration because that capability was removed during the development process.

All in all this the Tantares version of Polyus is a nice recreation, and I'm glad the RCS works now. It does, however, have one of the strangest launch profiles I've ever used. Quite why they designed it this way is beyond me.

Edited by septemberWaves

37 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Will the Wiki be updated with Nauka and Prichal?

At some point, when I get around to it for sure.  I'm in the middle of updating all the BDB Saturn stuff for the next release so will get back to Tantares when that's done.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:25 AM, Anachro said:

Not have KSP installed but still think of Tantares in real life all day...

YXI9B0H.jpg

xFrBhXf.jpg

Pretty incredible stuff, keep at it!

On 3/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, septemberWaves said:

Behold, Polyus (now with working RCS (thanks Beale))!

ErBP69t.png

Very nice, happy to see it working :cool:, hopefully I will patch it soon.

2u7TBVb.jpegq1g0VTp.jpeg

Want to be clear recent events really sicken me, so I will be returning to modding to do a one-off project of the rocket Tsyklon.

If you are in the United Kingdom, you can donate for humanitarian aid at:
https://www.dec.org.uk/

I can't promise the same kind of pace as old Tantares updates, but I will see what I can do, patches and the 2MV may finally be fortchcoming too.

7 minutes ago, Beale said:

2u7TBVb.jpegq1g0VTp.jpeg

Want to be clear recent events really sicken me, so I will be returning to modding to do a one-off project of the rocket Tsyklon.

I can't promise the same kind of pace as old Tantares updates, but I will see what I can do, patches and the 2MV may finally be fortchcoming too.

YES!!!

4 hours ago, Beale said:

2u7TBVb.jpegq1g0VTp.jpeg

20 hours ago, Beale said:

2u7TBVb.jpegq1g0VTp.jpeg

Create meme "cat salutes, cats , cat salutes" - Pictures - Meme-arsenal.com