[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Are you talking about the base between the rocket and the spacecraft?  I'd imagine that would not be too much extra work,  BUT I've barely thought about this beyond the point of thinking it might be something I'd like to tackle at some point.

The main "real world" part of the way this thing works that I see maybe being a problem is that during an abort-escape the fairing splits along the plane of the bottom of the descent module, while in a normal "jettison the shroud" scenario it does the usual clamshell thing after the tower part has already left 45 seconds ago.  I'm not sure I can imagine how to accomodate both scenarios unless there is some mechanism in the game to dynamically show and hide different parts of a mesh during flight and then you're probably back into writing a plugin DLL.  It's been about six years since I wrote PEBKAC and I don't know what's possible.

4 hours ago, Kurld said:

Are you talking about the base between the rocket and the spacecraft?  I'd imagine that would not be too much extra work,  BUT I've barely thought about this beyond the point of thinking it might be something I'd like to tackle at some point.

The main "real world" part of the way this thing works that I see maybe being a problem is that during an abort-escape the fairing splits along the plane of the bottom of the descent module, while in a normal "jettison the shroud" scenario it does the usual clamshell thing after the tower part has already left 45 seconds ago.  I'm not sure I can imagine how to accomodate both scenarios unless there is some mechanism in the game to dynamically show and hide different parts of a mesh during flight and then you're probably back into writing a plugin DLL.  It's been about six years since I wrote PEBKAC and I don't know what's possible.

I do mean the connection between the rocket and the spacecraft. There's an alternative version of the Soyuz rocket with a 1.5m diameter at the top.

As for the fairing, if it's not possible to create the real-world behaviour (which sounds like it's quite complex), I think a reasonable compromise would be to have the upper part (the launch escape shroud) be a normal solid part and not a "fairing" as far as the game is concerned, and have it separate as a single piece regardless of whether a launch abort is occurring or not. The lower section can then work as a regular clamshell fairing. Perhaps not ideal, but probably a practical option.

Tantares 25.1 For KSP Version 1.12.X

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares/releases/tag/v25.1

@benjee10has done an incredible (and from experience, difficult) job of making Zarya solar panels, with accurate scissor unfolding mechanism AND the ability to do a partial deployment, for accurate ISS recreation.

Huge thanks to the guy! And give him your cheers.

These are a new part.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/206472058228572162/1075851107382861855/screenshot499.png

https://i.imgur.com/XxUltVH.jpeg

(Images refuse to embed :( )

You can complete the ISS build with Habtech:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/133501-112x-habtech2-stockalike-iss-parts-026/

In other news
I expect some will be waiting for news on the recent soyuz revamp, and I must say that development of this has moved to KSP 2. Sorry if you were waiting for this in KSP 1. But hopefully it will be more to show soon.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Tantares 25.1 For KSP Version 1.12.X

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares/releases/tag/v25.1

@benjee10has done an incredible (and from experience, difficult) job of making Zarya solar panels, with accurate scissor unfolding mechanism AND the ability to do a partial deployment, for accurate ISS recreation.

These are a new part.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/206472058228572162/1075851107382861855/screenshot499.png

https://i.imgur.com/XxUltVH.jpeg

(Images refuse to embed :( )

You can complete the ISS build with Habtech:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/133501-112x-habtech2-stockalike-iss-parts-026/

In other news
I expect some will be waiting for news on the recent soyuz revamp, and I must say that development of this has moved to KSP 2. Sorry if you were waiting for this in KSP 1. But hopefully it will be more to show soon.

That’s ok. I’m more than satisfied with the current Soyuz parts. Look forward to your stuff in KSP2!

On 2/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, Beale said:

It's funny, sometimes I think, hmmm maybe one day I'll try to solve this or that part and then a few days later turns out @benjee10 has already done it.

Nice work, as always!

Edited by Kurld

Here's my Progress M1-4 moving itself to free space so that STS-97 can dock at PMA-3.  Anybody know why didn't they dock at Zvezda's nadir, either here, or to start with?  Seems like that would have left plenty of room.

2puXKCH.png

On 2/25/2023 at 4:27 AM, Kurld said:

Zvezda's nadir, either here, or to start with

Because those ports used hybrid SSVP-APAS docking port. That is SSVP porbe and drouge with APAS colllar, which is bigger and a better choice to dock modules.

If you want it just grab latest HabTech2 it has it. Nauka also uses it and to dock ships to it they supplied it with an adapter ring which was removed by undocking craft prior to Prichal arrival.

Edited by ra4nd0m

Looks like you're trying to load a craft from Modular Launch Pads but don't have the right parts to do it.

I think those come out of the Tantares Lift Vehicles mod.  Try installing that if you haven't.

It's also possible the craft file is outdated and references obsolete parts from earlier versions of Tantares.

I've been fooling around with "hot-staging" the third stage engine of the Soyuz rocket.

The "Circinus Staging Plate" doesn't really seem to be up to the task.  I'm not sure what to tweak in the config to make it not explode within a second or so.  It looks like there are two maxTemp entries in the config one is 3000k and the other is 6000k..... but either of these should be more than adequate to withstand rocket exhaust.

EDIT:  I think maybe it was having two entries in the config file was confusing things.  I got rid of the 3000k one and left 6000k and the part survives just fine.

Edited by Kurld

I have a question, is there are plans on adding the Russian Science Power Platform Module for the Russian ISS side?  Forgive me if this has already been asked before.

undefined

Edited by Jim123

31 minutes ago, Jim123 said:

I have a question, is there are plans on adding the Russian Science Power Platform Module for the Russian ISS side?  Forgive me if this has already been asked before.

undefined

For Tantares-1 99.999999% No. For Tantares-2 its if Beale wants it or not

You could make one using kitbashing Though

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife

On 3/5/2023 at 7:16 AM, Beale said:

Yeah I am happy to support critical bugs etc, but any further "new" things for now no.

Looking forward to modding KSP2 when it gets in a better state, until then I have other projects.

Hope this helps,

So I'm guessing the new Soyuz update has been halted? 

What about the fix for the bug with Priroda's SAR Antenna? 

On 3/10/2023 at 7:33 AM, GoldForest said:

So I'm guessing the new Soyuz update has been halted? 

What about the fix for the bug with Priroda's SAR Antenna? 

Yeah as I mentioned above it was moved forward.

I don't remember if SAR fix was done, but there was a recent patch, maybe it made it in.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:50 PM, Blufor878 said:

I realized today that I don't haunt the Tantares forums enough. So here is my contribution.

Behold, Long Zarya.

52741246025_96a12dfd17_o.png

immensely cool, megalove!

hoo hoo hoo hee hee hee.
A shiny sphere, just in time for tea.

qobQmlY.png?width=600&height=603
aNM9xBR.png?width=640&height=603
ox26UY0.png?width=1077&height=603