[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I'd like to report the ckan upload of Tantares - Soviet Spacecraft is missing textures on most items except a few of the soyuz and almaz crewed parts. They're also displaying names starting with #LOC. 

A friend was having the problem, and I confirmed on my own install.

1 hour ago, Duhya said:

I'd like to report the ckan upload of Tantares - Soviet Spacecraft is missing textures on most items except a few of the soyuz and almaz crewed parts. They're also displaying names starting with #LOC. 

A friend was having the problem, and I confirmed on my own install.

I think those are deprecated parts for in case you were using parts from an older version. Double check, you should have all the updated parts. I noticed this recently too and it freaked me out until I realized many of these #LOC parts were repeats of existing parts.

Also if anyone is interested (and has the right mods for it), I've made Long Zarya and it's custom fairing N1-C available on KerbalX.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Long-Zarya-N1C

2 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

...those are deprecated parts...

Exactly! They aren't supposed to appear in the Parts List, but unfortunately Squad's search engine is ... flaky ... and these parts do appear when you use searches. And yes, the updated versions are there, though harder to find in amongst the deprecated versions.

16 hours ago, softweir said:

Exactly! They aren't supposed to appear in the Parts List, but unfortunately Squad's search engine is ... flaky ... and these parts do appear when you use searches. And yes, the updated versions are there, though harder to find in amongst the deprecated versions.

There is unfortunately no winning solution to deprecation, they all have drawbacks:

• Hard delete the parts
    • breaks user's crafts. Produces bug reports.
  • Leave old parts intact, but hide them (what the stock game does)
    • bloats mod size on disk significantly, prolongs loading times (sometimes by a lot). Though hidden, they may still get used in new crafts (since there is nothing *obviously* wrong with them), making transitioning away from using them harder.
  • Leave old parts mostly intact, but crush their texture and hide them
    • reduces bloat and load times (but not entirely), but many users may perceive the crushed textures as a bug and report it. Crushing the textures is also a pretty tedious and slow process (granted, you could definitely automate it with a little python script or the like).
  • Hide old parts, and delete their textures (what I've gone with)
    • Parts are mostly invisible, and the bloat is minimised (most model files are tiny). But unaware users will perceive missing textures as a bug, if they are not aware they are deprecated.

I think the removed textures is the lesser of all evils.
Better solutions for deprecating things exist, but they're not built into KSP  or supported by it, so would just lead to further headaches.

If I could go back in time, I would probably write a script to replace all the part names with "DEPRECATED, DO NOT USE".

You're right the, the VAB search is a bit crap, and really shouldn't show parts marked as "hidden".

Edited by Beale

Всем привет! Я помню, кто-то здесь делал мод IVA для тантаров. И специально вставил ИВА там, где его не хватало. Если кто знает, поделитесь ссылкой на мод?

5 hours ago, prinjrius said:

Всем привет! Я помню, кто-то здесь делал мод IVA для тантаров. И специально вставил ИВА там, где его не хватало. Если кто знает, поделитесь ссылкой на мод?

Hey hey! Not sure if this has been asked before, but the tooltip for the Luna sample return sphere (Sapphire parts set, I think) mentions it being equipped with a parachute, but I can't seem to find an option to actually use it anywhere! I tried looking in action groups, and looking in the right-click menu options both inside and outside the VAB but still can't find anything! I also know I'm not the only person this has happened to, but I was wondering if there was something I could change in the files that would let this work as intended, seeing as development has ceased for KSP 1.

Thanks in advance!

On 3/20/2023 at 9:39 AM, Hydragaming said:

Hey hey! Not sure if this has been asked before, but the tooltip for the Luna sample return sphere (Sapphire parts set, I think) mentions it being equipped with a parachute, but I can't seem to find an option to actually use it anywhere! I tried looking in action groups, and looking in the right-click menu options both inside and outside the VAB but still can't find anything! I also know I'm not the only person this has happened to, but I was wondering if there was something I could change in the files that would let this work as intended, seeing as development has ceased for KSP 1.

Thanks in advance!

This is totally my bad, the part did have a parachute during Dev, but it was too buggy due to constraints, so removed. The sample container is strong enough to survive any impact on a body with a thick atmosphere though, so you can go straight back to kerbin with it

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 8:37 PM, Spike88 said:

Is there a build guide for the mir modules? Unless I’m missing something the wiki just lists the modules but not how to make them. 

There should be craft files for them listed as [Mir] _____ in the craft files folder

Just a quick note for Beale, the version downloadable from Spacedock does not include the new solar panels to make it compatible with the craft files that come with Habtech2. The version from Github works just fine, and both sources have the same version number, so I would say it's probably caused some confusion lol

I've been trying to get the Soyuz rocket assembly to send a crewed Soyuz spacecraft into LEO, but the Soyuz rocket assembly seems under powered for the task. I start to lose speed once I drop the four liquid fuel boosters maybe around 20,000-30,000 meters up. I am thinking that one of these factors is causing this issue:
1. It's because I'm using the Realistic Solar System mod.
2. I'm not timing my gravity turn correctly.
3. I've constructed the rocket assembly incorrectly/rocket assembly is overweight.
Could anyone help solve the issue I am having? Thanks!

(Here is a link to a photo of how I have the Soyuz rocket assembly built)
https://imgur.com/a/tlAsXtx

On 4/4/2023 at 9:15 AM, Kerb24 said:

Tantares isn't meant for RSS, it's balanced for 2.5x scale (JNSQ scale).

It's not really balanced very well for scale 2.5x, either.  I had to take some fuel out of the Blok A (stage 2) and Blok I (stage 3) tanks in order for it to have enough TWR in stage 2 to achieve orbit with any substantial payload like a Progress or Soyuz spacecraft.  Good news is the Progress and Soyuz spacecraft seem to have ample delta V to get circularized, transfer, etc.

For a full scale solar system, since real-world data is widely available for this rocket you might try editing the configs for the engines and tanks to be in line with reality and see if it behaves any better.

Edited by Kurld
fix it

On 2/16/2023 at 1:37 PM, Beale said:

Tantares 25.1 For KSP Version 1.12.X

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares/releases/tag/v25.1

@benjee10has done an incredible (and from experience, difficult) job of making Zarya solar panels, with accurate scissor unfolding mechanism AND the ability to do a partial deployment, for accurate ISS recreation.

Huge thanks to the guy! And give him your cheers.

These are a new part.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/206472058228572162/1075851107382861855/screenshot499.png

https://i.imgur.com/XxUltVH.jpeg

(Images refuse to embed :( )

You can complete the ISS build with Habtech:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/133501-112x-habtech2-stockalike-iss-parts-026/

In other news
I expect some will be waiting for news on the recent soyuz revamp, and I must say that development of this has moved to KSP 2. Sorry if you were waiting for this in KSP 1. But hopefully it will be more to show soon.

I like Tantares mods for the historical.  But I have two things that just trip me up about them.  1. The R7 having standard KSP Radial decoupling.   One does not have an R7 without a proper Korelev's cross.

2.  Science integration.  BDB has made superb effort to include science.  I mean T's MIR doesn't even seem to have any science baked I to the synthetic apeture radar....

6 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

1. The R7 having standard KSP Radial decoupling.   One does not have an R7 without a proper Korelev's cross.

2.  Science integration.  BDB has made superb effort to include science.  I mean T's MIR doesn't even seem to have any science baked I to the synthetic apeture radar....

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.

Lets us know how you get on.

4 hours ago, tg626 said:

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.

Lets us know how you get on.

Ya, somehow when I had tabs open for both mods and refreshed the BDB, it loaded this one.  So, oh well, I *may* be able to be talked into things if it gets revived in KSP2; but, I will make do for now with having looks only from this one.

2 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Last I heard its cancelled for ksp-1 but will be in ksp-2

Well that's something to look forward to! KSP2 performance has already increased a lot since the initial release (for me), but it will probably have another 6 months to a year before I'm ready to really dive into it.