[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

My first post ever on KSP forums!

I have been a fan of your work for a long time and used your parts to make really good and reliable crafts. I haven't seen the Excalibur Almaz cislunar spacecraft in the infinite tantrum of awesome replies that is this thread so I thought I'd post mine.

I used this craft so many times to bring various mission crew around Mun and Minmus, never gets old.

Basically, Excalibur Almaz bought what could be salvaged of the Almaz program, even corrupting a module out of a museum, and redesigned it as a lunar transfer station to pair with the Excalibur wich is an odd mix of a TKS with an ATV service module (The service module is the only part Excalibur is actually building so it doesnt exist yet).

Excalibur has reserved a crew rated Falcon 9 launch from SpaceX schedule and this craft might become the first civilian spaceflight to the Moon :D

knrpP6W.png

7eHmb8P.png

It is a very straight forward design;

Vega: put an Almaz (V-C1, Capella RCS tank, V-C2) module upside down with 2 V-MNP panels close to the top. Strap any equipment you need on top of the V-C1 next to the docking port. Put 4 TK monopropellant thrusters at the bottom of the V-C2 (wich is upside down) and a Hypergolic engine (it makes the burn 2x faster but burns too much fuel to allow for recovery of the Vega.) Launch it with the ALV Proton rocket or your favorite 2.5m launcher.

Excalibur: Build a VA capsule (TK descent engine, TK chute + 2 radials, TK decoupler, adapter) with 2 Capella RCS tanks and a Capella engine, put any equipment on the structural plate adapter. Launch and dock with 1st module using the Capella rear docking port (it can be tricky as DPI still thinks your docking port is forward)

It might be slow but it gets the job done, you can ferry some crew with a soyuz first to fill the Vega module or run an extended duration mission.

Oh! and thank you for this awesome mod, if you could fix the Capella rear docking port it would make this much easier :)

Hey anyone got time for an almost certainly dumb question? I recently acquired access to a KSP-capable computer, but after installing RO, and Tantares and Tantares LV via CKAN, almost every single part (except Proton and R7) are "non-RO"! Anyone know why and how to fix? .~.

Have you installed RP-0?...that sounds like that (which just means it hasn't been added to RP-0 yet) also check your realism overhaul folder for a Tantares config file, theres a folder for supported or recommended mods that should contain all the config files for RO for each mod.

A little Munar station I set up:

http://i.imgur.com/SUHEa0T.png

In addition to the station module, it has a TKS-like return ship, a fuel/cargo ship, and a lunar lander.

Love the look of that! What crew can are you using on that lander?

Beale, please, is it possible if you find the time to make a Tantares like texture pack for Procedural Parts? It sure hurts my eyes when I use procedural parts tanks and their textures do not match those of your awesome mod.

I think planeguy was already working on procedural fairing textures. I tried them once, and have yet to try the latest. Link.

Hey anyone got time for an almost certainly dumb question? I recently acquired access to a KSP-capable computer, but after installing RO, and Tantares and Tantares LV via CKAN, almost every single part (except Proton and R7) are "non-RO"! Anyone know why and how to fix? .~.

I think Niemand does the RO configs. I think Beale and he are waiting for Squad to fix aero before doing a sweeping balance update.

Stuff.

http://puu.sh/hVjgW/e3653c2cfc.jpg

http://puu.sh/hVjii/20247ef541.jpg

http://puu.sh/hVjuF/f1be2ead9b.jpg

So yeah, naturally the old Soyuz crafts are unaffected (MOSTLY!).

http://puu.sh/hVjJU/dc157c1466.jpg

Still one texture sheet, I apologise in advance planeguy - the wonderful TMA textures will be broken.

http://puu.sh/hVjUi/5972b54f7c.jpg

Hmm, those passive docking ports don't look right. Probably the absence of a drouge.

I have to agree with pTrevTrevs. I prefer the old style drogues. For it to be a drogues, it really has to be able to guide the probe into the center, as long as the probe hits inside the cone. With that design, Much of the benefits of a probe and drogue system are lost. I know it seems really nitpick, and is definitely is. I can understand though that having a relatively deep cone means the passive port needs to be deeper, which could be a problem. Have you considered indenting the top of the Soyuz OM to allow the docking port to be deeper, or does that break the design criteria of being "LEGO-like?" I feel like it would.

My first post ever on KSP forums!

I have been a fan of your work for a long time and used your parts to make really good and reliable crafts. I haven't seen the Excalibur Almaz cislunar spacecraft in the infinite tantrum of awesome replies ...

...this much easier :)

First of all, wow. Hell of a post. Great looking craft. Hope it flies as great as it looks. I'll definitely be looking to add to add an Almaz/Excalibur to the craft files. It totally slipped my mind.

Sneak-peak at the N-1 craft file. Got the fairings to behave like the ones on the IRL N-1 supposedly did.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Does anyone have any ideas on an accurate launcher for the Gemini capsule? OMSK doesn't have anything for it really, and the the Proton just doesn't totally look the part. Any ideas would be much appreciated. :)

Does anyone have any ideas on an accurate launcher for the Gemini capsule? OMSK doesn't have anything for it really, and the the Proton just doesn't totally look the part. Any ideas would be much appreciated. :)

TVR-200L and a couple of powerful 1.25m engines would make a nice LR-87. You can also use a dual-nozzle 2.5m engine from KW Rocketry.

Hey, curtquarquesso, I was using those craft files for Mir and I couldn't get Kvant-1 to dock on the correct docking port for anything. It docked just fine on the docking hub of the core module though. After I went into the VAB I noticed that all of the values for the bottom port on the core module were set to 0 (forces, etc). I'm guessing that's what the problem was, going to relaunch it now. Thought you'd like to know. Love all these craft files you've made, by the way.

Edit: Yeah, that fixed it.

Edited by bsimms606

TVR-200L and a couple of powerful 1.25m engines would make a nice LR-87. You can also use a dual-nozzle 2.5m engine from KW Rocketry.

That KW engine isn't powerful enough. Until either Tantares or OMSK makes a Titan we don't really have a good rocket. I was using the OMSK Atlas II (Called Atlas Centaur in OMSK.) but it just doesn't have the performance anymore. It isn't hard to make a rocket that is either overpowered or underpowered for the Gemini, it is just hard to make an appropriate rocket. Doubly so if you want it to look the part.

Heh, I was actually considering trying to model a Titan II as a beginning project with 3D modelling/part modding. I'm not a total beginner to 3D modelling, I just finished a course in which I extensively used the Autodesk Inventor program.

Actually, I do have the option to get Inventor on my computer and model with it, but it is quite a hefty program, and isn't very easy to use, so I will likely choose Wings3D for modelling the Titan or whatever I choose to start with.

Oddball idea but...

tweakscale the gemini down to a 1.25 footprint and use two PLV tanks and a PLV engine

Or scale up the PLV tanks and engine

Or if that looks a bit long..use the lower core tank from the R7 instead of the two PLV tanks

Oddball idea but...

tweakscale the gemini down to a 1.25 footprint and use two PLV tanks and a PLV engine

Or scale up the PLV tanks and engine

Or if that looks a bit long..use the lower core tank from the R7 instead of the two PLV tanks

At the moment, I have no plans to allow scaling for the Gemini capsule in my config. It just doesn't seem humane to squeeze two Kerbals in a scaled down Gemini, no matter how solid the friendship is of the two Kerbonauts. However, you're spot on with scaling up the LV parts. I've already started. :)

Heh, I was actually considering trying to model a Titan II as a beginning project with 3D modelling/part modding. I'm not a total beginner to 3D modelling, I just finished a course in which I extensively used the Autodesk Inventor program.

Actually, I do have the option to get Inventor on my computer and model with it, but it is quite a hefty program, and isn't very easy to use, so I will likely choose Wings3D for modelling the Titan or whatever I choose to start with.

Heh, you and me both. SolidWorks, I can do. Blender is throwing me for a loop though. I feel like a blundering fool.

That KW engine isn't powerful enough. Until either Tantares or OMSK makes a Titan we don't really have a good rocket. I was using the OMSK Atlas II (Called Atlas Centaur in OMSK.) but it just doesn't have the performance anymore. It isn't hard to make a rocket that is either overpowered or underpowered for the Gemini, it is just hard to make an appropriate rocket. Doubly so if you want it to look the part.

HAH. Yeah. I don't think I could submit my computer to KW. Lots of clutter in my inventory, even though some of the parts are really well done. The one thing you didn't mention was AB Launchers. That I may have to look at as an option for a lifter, though I don't think hooj has put out a fix for 1.0.2. node orientation. I'll just disable it in debug.

Hey, curtquarquesso, I was using those craft files for Mir and I couldn't get Kvant-1 to dock on the correct docking port for anything. It docked just fine on the docking hub of the core module though. After I went into the VAB I noticed that all of the values for the bottom port on the core module were set to 0 (forces, etc). I'm guessing that's what the problem was, going to relaunch it now. Thought you'd like to know. Love all these craft files you've made, by the way.

Edit: Yeah, that fixed it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! TweakScale does something weird with the magnetism of docking ports that I don't fully understand. I think that when a docking port gets scaled, the magnetism and range gets scaled up, so to compensate, TweakScale ends up assigning negative values to the ranges, which makes it behave like normal. Also, I know there has been a lot of issues with TweakableEverything lately. That could be a big factor. Make sure you're up to date with that, or not, depending on what the discussion is over on that thread. I'll investigate. :)

I tried scaling up the 1.25m engines, and they just didn't fit great, and I don't have the memory for KW really. I might look to AB Launchers.

Thanks for the ideas and input everyone. :)

Have you installed RP-0?...that sounds like that (which just means it hasn't been added to RP-0 yet) also check your realism overhaul folder for a Tantares config file, theres a folder for supported or recommended mods that should contain all the config files for RO for each mod.

No I didn't install RP-0 (sandbox best!). I looked and the configs are definitely there. Could the actual Tantares files just be in the wrong place, and the configs aren't referencing them correctly? I really don't understand coding and junk

I've cherry picked the Gemini capsule for my game and I notice today during a trial flight that the "Ablator" doesn't "Ablate" the resource is still 100% after landing... Have I found a bug?

I've cherry picked the Gemini capsule for my game and I notice today during a trial flight that the "Ablator" doesn't "Ablate" the resource is still 100% after landing... Have I found a bug?

Have you tried a more aggressive descent profile?

Am I missing something or Almach Return Chute just not working? It opens, but falls down even better than an ordinary brick.

Also, RealChute MM patch isn't applied to this chute.

UPD: same for PP+ Docking Parachute.

Edited by Horus

Am I missing something or Almach Return Chute just not working? It opens, but falls down even better than an ordinary brick.

Also, RealChute MM patch isn't applied to this chute.

Delete the PartConfigs.cfg in the KSP Rootfolder. I had the same problem.

The Tantares Gemini has so much drag/lift/etc. in the stock atmosphere that it doesn't really pick up heat unless you fall straight down through the atmosphere. Even if you do go straight up and back down, it should survive with minimal use of the ablator.

The stock atmosphere is pretty silly right now.

You ain't gonna believe... :) Still digging into the matter. Trying to pinpoint the source of the issue.

Are the parachutes part of any subassemblies or stored crafts? If so, remove them and add a fresh/new one from the parts list.

Also delete the PartConfigs.cfg file, and any cache files if you're using mods that create them.

Seems that latest FAR is the "brick chute" issue source.

Oh. Hm. :rolleyes: The latest FAR uses RealChutes lite by stupid_chris. I will take a look at this tonight.

I have some free time tonight. I'll finish up the FAR config for Tantares and LV. I have almost everything working on my own install with FAR.

Oh. Hm. :rolleyes: The latest FAR uses RealChutes lite by stupid_chris. I will take a look at this tonight.

I have some free time tonight. I'll finish up the FAR config for Tantares and LV. I have almost everything working on my own install with FAR.

Now I'm sure - the problem is using FAR and RealChutes at the same time. Removing RealChutes - solves the problem. Funny.