[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

4 hours ago, TheRedTom said:

Those look excellent @Beale, cracking job as always

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Deltac said:

So I noticed this on Tantares Github:  "Non so più dormire, Non so più mangiar, Mi farai morire, Mi fai disperar"

You okay Beale? :P

Ahaha!

We are all ill at home, so sometimes you have to put a little frustration into Github, not the first time! :)

Latest GitHub

Really nice complete "older Soyuz" now. Almost close to wrapping up an resuming work on the rocket.

XBKPCqs.png

So to ask a dangerous question, what do people want to see after that? :P 

Edited by Beale

52 minutes ago, Beale said:

Have all the other parts organized and updated to match the new pork-alike style you seem to be going for, re-add the vostok upper stage rocket and fuel tank parts (waymaker, waykeeper, fuel tank that goes with them). Make the mod feel clean and complete before you start adding in new stuff.

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Mir module radiator - a single small part wich is essential to make these modules look really aww-some. The stock one looks too off anyway

The one under the solar panel
kvant-2__1.jpg

3 hours ago, Abrecan said:

Mars Train components would be a good start

How was it even supposed to look like? I've read about it but haven't seen any images

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Well, originally N1 was designed for something else... :wink:

btw, the new Soyuz 7K-T parts look amazing

Edited by notJebKerman

7 hours ago, Beale said:

Many thanks!

Ahaha!

We are all ill at home, so sometimes you have to put a little frustration into Github, not the first time! :)

Latest GitHub

Really nice complete "older Soyuz" now. Almost close to wrapping up an resuming work on the rocket.

XBKPCqs.png

Really amazing job!

7 hours ago, Beale said:

I'm probably going to be the only person to say this, but I'd like to see angara and PPTS :blush: 

Other than that, probably energia (and therefore zenit :P) or TMK

And here I remembered there was one beauty of a ship that never flew... The 7K-VI Zvezda (Star).

7k-vi3.jpg

7k-vi1.jpg

7k-vi2.jpg

Also, 3D artist's impression:

890.jpg

The images show that this was, in fact, a Soyuz with the habitation pod moved to the middle and made larger. This midsection would be accessed via a hatch in the heatshield, just like on the Gemini-MOL. The ships also shared the same purpose (both being manned photoreconnaissance military craft) and the same fate (being made obsolete by photoreconnaissance satellites). The notable differences? 7K-VI was smaller, remaining a ship and not a station. And much more aggressive - although VI in the ship's name means voyenny issledovatel', "military researcher", supposed "research programs" included, apart from photorecon, rendesvous with NATO spy satellites and shooting them with a gun. A modified gun from a bomber's rear turret. And the power source - those two cylinders on the back of the service module are RTGs. Oh the sixties and their nuclear optimism. 

Zvezda's life was even shorter than MOL's - the project was started in 1965 and scrapped in 1968, never getting to the test flight stage. This looks even more strange if you take into account the fact that the ship was viewed as a replacement for the 7K-OK - the Soyuz as we know it AND the craft that killed Vladimir Komarov. This doesn't look strange at all if you also note that it was scrapped by the very same man whose brainchild 7K-OK was. Rival projects are rival projects. How he pulled that off? Him becoming the chief designer after Korolev's death may have had something to do with it...

But enough history. What didn't take off for real takes off on Kerbin - this ship included. Here's my first (rather hasty and not quite accurate) take on it...

Spoiler

FT65wNF.jpg

6OXNChK.jpg

XMBDnC0.png

PjvCevx.jpg

On a side note, the heatshield refuses to separate. There is the sound effect when you click the button, but it remains on the ship. Can something be done about it?

Edited by TK-313

On 21/11/2017 at 3:56 PM, Deltac said:

Energia!  :P

On 21/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, Third_OfFive said:

Have all the other parts organized and updated to match the new pork-alike style you seem to be going for, re-add the vostok upper stage rocket and fuel tank parts (waymaker, waykeeper, fuel tank that goes with them). Make the mod feel clean and complete before you start adding in new stuff.

On 21/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, Abrecan said:

Mars Train components would be a good start

On 21/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, Legcutter said:

Mir module radiator - a single small part wich is essential to make these modules look really aww-some. The stock one looks too off anyway

The one under the solar panel

21 hours ago, Hay said:

Energia/Zenit

20 hours ago, Chimer4 said:

Really amazing job!

I'm probably going to be the only person to say this, but I'd like to see angara and PPTS :blush: 

Other than that, probably energia (and therefore zenit :P) or TMK

On 21/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, notJebKerman said:

How was it even supposed to look like? I've read about it but haven't seen any images

Well, originally N1 was designed for something else... :wink:

btw, the new Soyuz 7K-T parts look amazing

Many thanks for the nice words and feedback. Lot's of good ideas here!

On 21/11/2017 at 6:13 PM, DJ Reonic said:

Are you still planning to do the reversed IGLA antennas and the orbital module with the blister window thingy?

Yes, but it needs the model switch fuctionality.

18 hours ago, TK-313 said:

And here I remembered there was one beauty of a ship that never flew... The 7K-VI Zvezda (Star).

7k-vi3.jpg

Also, 3D artist's impression:

The images show that this was, in fact, a Soyuz with the habitation pod moved to the middle and made larger. This midsection would be accessed via a hatch in the heatshield, just like on the Gemini-MOL. The ships also shared the same purpose (both being manned photoreconnaissance military craft) and the same fate (being made obsolete by photoreconnaissance satellites). The notable differences? 7K-VI was smaller, remaining a ship and not a station. And much more aggressive - although VI in the ship's name means voyenny issledovatel', "military researcher", supposed "research programs" included, apart from photorecon, rendesvous with NATO spy satellites and shooting them with a gun. A modified gun from a bomber's rear turret. And the power source - those two cylinders on the back of the service module are RTGs. Oh the sixties and their nuclear optimism. 

Zvezda's life was even shorter than MOL's - the project was started in 1965 and scrapped in 1968, never getting to the test flight stage. This looks even more strange if you take into account the fact that the ship was viewed as a replacement for the 7K-OK - the Soyuz as we know it AND the craft that killed Vladimir Komarov. This doesn't look strange at all if you also note that it was scrapped by the very same man whose brainchild 7K-OK was. Rival projects are rival projects. How he pulled that off? Him becoming the chief designer after Korolev's death may have had something to do with it...

But enough history. What didn't take off for real takes off on Kerbin - this ship included. Here's my first (rather hasty and not quite accurate) take on it...

Reveal hidden contents

FT65wNF.jpg

6OXNChK.jpg

XMBDnC0.png

PjvCevx.jpg

On a side note, the heatshield refuses to separate. There is the sound effect when you click the button, but it remains on the ship. Can something be done about it?

Nice! A lot of information I didn't know about before, and some new images!
I like the craft file!

On the subject of weapons, I considered making USB-type  anti-satellite parts

dospeiso.jpg

But wait! Isn't there something we are forgetting?

polyus-burnup-art-adastra.jpg

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Me and @Beale should have a race to making flyby crafts. I'd have to find something more complex/interesting than the single-new-part design I was working on the other day, but we'd wind up with whatever I find AND a TMK.

Time to get crazy?

lighter_and_tanker_callisto_orbit_by_william_black-d84h5nk.jpg

Progress continues, creeping closer and closer to release.

d2jCVy0.png
ebCRD7d.png Oh man, a shame this doesn't work right in-game.

Currently there is only 1 part left to replace, the IGLA antenna.
But, I have a question / challenge - How did the IGLA fold?!

lPDLKYG.png

Finally, the beautiful @Pak has created a new logo, which will replace the old tired logo :) 

tgHZJRM.png

13 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

I'm not going to boss you around

*cracks knuckles*  But I am!  I want pictures of Spiderman on my desk yesterday! >:O

(Don't post spiderman pics, focus on Soviet Space pics!  SpiderSoyuz?  O.o)

Edited by Deltac

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Currently there is only 1 part left to replace, the IGLA antenna.

lPDLKYG.png

Finally, the beautiful @Pak has created a new logo, which will replace the old tired logo :) 

tgHZJRM.png

That's a sweet logo!

In terms of IGLA, does this help?

Spoiler

Related imageshrouds.gif

mik_no_rails_B_2.jpgmik_no_rails_2.jpg

It looks like it is flattened in those pictures, so I would assume it pops up and then the sides fold in to provide stability. Just guesswork on my end though

Edited by Chimer4
More references

18 hours ago, Beale said:

lPDLKYG.png

I hate to make suggestions based on a 10 out of 10 jackals quality photo, but it probably looks like the antenna is folded inwards

157.jpg

@Chimer4 got a good set of references with the folded antenna facing upwards, but it's probably a ship model dependant thing - note that big old non-passable docking port at @Chimer4's pics and the later model with a passable one on mine

Edit: @Chimer4's right, it's a Salyut photo

Edited by Legcutter
I guess I needed some sleep

5 hours ago, Legcutter said:

I hate to make suggestions based on a 10 out of 10 jackals quality photo, but it probably looks like the antenna is folded inwards

157.jpg

@Chimer4 got a good set of references with the folded antenna facing upwards, but it's probably a ship model dependant thing - note that big old non-passable docking port at @Chimer4's pics and the later model with a passable one on mine

That's a good picture, but it's confusing me. At first I thought that it was the DM rather than than the OM (that could just be a perspective thing though) and is that zvezda or similar that it's mated to? Also, why are there solar panels on it. I thought it was only shenzhou that had solar panels on the OM. Finally, that would be the wrong type of docking port for a Soyuz, as that is the drogue rather than the probe.

Edit. Sorry to say @Legcutter but it appears to be a picture of Salyut 1

Edited by Chimer4

2 hours ago, hraban said:

After my knowledge the best photo which reflects the folding mechanism of the active IGLA component.

soyokfem.jpg

Just got sniped by @hraban :D was going to post that exact picture. 

Just thought, in reference to @Legcutters post, I may have been a bit hasty (and tired) in my reply. We may need 2 different IGLA antennas based on what we have seen. There is indeed a version that folds back as pointed out by @Legcutter that is placed on stations (iirc that is usually the transmitting antenna on the passive vessel) and there is the collapsible one that folds forward found on Soyuz up until Soyuz TM (I think)

soyuz32.jpg

Edited by Chimer4

23 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I never realized how cool the Igla antenna was...

... and that is only one type of three known moving trusses of the active part. There are many more for the passive parts! :)

Model_of_Salyut-7_with_two_Soyuz_spacecrafts-e1474993665488-1024x527.jpeg

Edited by hraban

7 hours ago, Chimer4 said:

That's a good picture, but it's confusing me.
(...)
Edit. Sorry to say @Legcutter but it appears to be a picture of Salyut 1

There's no need to be sorry, friend.

Today it's me rofling about yesterday's half-conscious posting after spending 20-hrs without sleeping. I should probably quit that :huh:

Edited by Legcutter

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

I'd miss the old Cygnus crafts ^^

You know I wonder if these would work very well in Tundra Aerospace, not Spacex but we have some private enterprise.

Slide the smuggled .obj files across the table.

3 hours ago, hraban said:

Only a set of screens out of Wings3D to demonstrate the basic moving parts of truss structure for active IGLA radar.

Screen-005,large.1511444501.png

2 hours ago, hraban said:

... and that is only one type of three known moving trusses of the active part. There are many more for the passive parts! :)

Model_of_Salyut-7_with_two_Soyuz_spacecrafts-e1474993665488-1024x527.jpeg

Thanks for all the information @Chimer4 and @Legcutter also! Wow, this is perfect! I need to work on this right away.
Now, you have me curious, what are the three known variants of this?

Edited by Beale