[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

47 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Huh. I know that the CADS ports from BDB have collision meshes on the petals, and it functions flawlessly. Perhaps CobaltWolf did something different to make it work?

I was thinking the same thing. The Apollo ADM port does it as well.

30 minutes ago, Beale said:

We would have to ask @CobaltWolf :wink: 

My take on it, collision cause game breaking because you can extend the probe when docked - after you do that, then undock, you are in a situation where two separate colliders are "inside" each other, causing explosive physics.
(You cannot use the "shielded docking port" module for safetey, as this cancels out the magnetic force).

You would know WAY more about it than I would. :) I'm not too experienced with coding but it makes sense why it would result in RUD.

3 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Maybe you don't even need a plugin, try enabling it to be 'Set As Target' or a magnetic force like the docking ports can.

I believe what was meant was auto-alignment on roll axis, which "Set as target" doesn't do.

19 hours ago, Beale said:

We would have to ask @CobaltWolf :wink: 

My take on it, collision cause game breaking because you can extend the probe when docked - after you do that, then undock, you are in a situation where two separate colliders are "inside" each other, causing explosive physics.
(You cannot use the "shielded docking port" module for safetey, as this cancels out the magnetic force).

I like to trust my players to not be dumb, but results can vary. :)

True. I know that deploying the docking ring on the active CADS while docked is a bad idea. But, it's able to soft dock extremely well, courtesy of the petals and the ring having colliders, and as you retractable the ring, the magnetic pull of the ports draws you in to dock. I think that whole soft docking with the ports physically aligning you is what Beale is unsure what modelers black magic you used.

My new small station I'm testing the modular configuration in low orbit. First mission is the installation of an airlock - which is the Orbital Module. Next will be assembling the next truss segment. 

gO9Tbsp.pngOW8nGDD.png

Edited by Abrecan

On 2/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

True. I know that deploying the docking ring on the active CADS while docked is a bad idea. But, it's able to soft dock extremely well, courtesy of the petals and the ring having colliders, and as you retractable the ring, the magnetic pull of the ports draws you in to dock. I think that whole soft docking with the ports physically aligning you is what Beale is unsure what modelers black magic you used.

I missed that this was the CADS port. I didn't make those parts - they were made by CXG before he left and then adapted (read: resized to 0.9375m) for BDB. But, I can't imagine it would be particularly difficult or troubling to model the colliders for the fins. I believe there was also a line in the cfg that made it try to automatically snap to certain angles (ie the magnetic pull also will try to align the petals at whatever increment they are rotationally)

On 2/8/2019 at 12:13 AM, Abrecan said:

My new small station I'm testing the modular configuration in low orbit. First mission is the installation of an airlock - which is the Orbital Module. Next will be assembling the next truss segment. 

gO9Tbsp.png

This is a beautiful station! I really want to make something like this.

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I missed that this was the CADS port. I didn't make those parts - they were made by CXG before he left and then adapted (read: resized to 0.9375m) for BDB. But, I can't imagine it would be particularly difficult or troubling to model the colliders for the fins. I believe there was also a line in the cfg that made it try to automatically snap to certain angles (ie the magnetic pull also will try to align the petals at whatever increment they are rotationally)

yes when eventually making the APAS ports there shopuld be no problem setting those up correctly.

Github

Super-duper-close-to-release-we-promise edition.
Updated tags, IVAs, and a few balancing tech tree things.

ltNtKe0.png

BY THE WAY

If there was to be only one separate colour for TKS/FGB what do you prefer? Now that people have had time to mellow on it.

yrRnHwF.png
giphy.gif

Edited by Beale

14 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

It's been kinda quiet 'round here... wonder what Beale's up to, always excited for new progress.

Like I said progress will be slow for a while - currently getting the white variants for FGB (hopefully) to release an update tonight :) 

8 parts trickier than expected and to come later:

• FGB engine (inline)
  • FGB engine (radial)
  • Gyrodyne (inline)
  • Gyrodyne (radial)
  • FGB RCS (4 variants)
13 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Did someone say Apollo-Soyuz Test Project? No, not really but this looks rad! :D

tumblr_pmyeidjhJD1v11sjlo1_1280.png

Fabulous! I love these. 
One day we will share an actual ASTP adapter part.

Tantares 16.0

Big boy release, brand new FGB parts, with polished configs from the Github releases.

• - FGB revamp.
  • - Moved FGB solar panels to ANY subfolder.
  • - Moved Igla antennae to ANY subfolder.
  • - Additional nodes to Salyut/Almaz

Still to do:

• FGB engine (inline)
  • FGB engine (radial)
  • Gyrodyne (inline)
  • Gyrodyne (radial)
  • FGB RCS (4 variants)
  • Colour variant

Colour variant mentioned above was not really working for me. I think I will release a standard Green instead of white.
I would really like to hear your feedback on this! It is a medium/big release so deserves a lot of scrutiny.

Any craft using old part should be safe - using the new method of deprecation, but let me know of any issues.

x0egQCR.pngXiLeKzz.png

u1uwZkx.png
5NOgPLm.png7hKgmrh.jpg
Za0a4Qe.pngQlVj9yY.png

10 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

So I was looking through the orthographics that @TK-313 gave me, but I can't figure out what this is supposed to be. It's postion says rocket engine but its appearance says jet intake to me...

Cayyjypture.PNG

Two images point that it is a solar orientation sensor.

GKEl7Ms.png

fSgFfdz.png
fIoEa0R.png

3 hours ago, Well said:

A lot of beautiful parts, thanks @Beale

Many thanks!

10 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

So I was looking through the orthographics that @TK-313 gave me, but I can't figure out what this is supposed to be. It's postion says rocket engine but its appearance says jet intake to me...

Cayyjypture.PNG

The jet engine is actually the other end, these are sensors for solar orientation and orientation for orbit corrections, as @Beale has correctly pointed out.

472880_preview.jpg
870_653_fixedwidth.jpg

Edited by TK-313
added stuff