[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

54 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

Same! Just got back into this after a couple of years apart, and I am quite lost! :D 

But thankfully there is a trusty Friznit Build Wiki to help us out, though perhaps some of it is out of date?

It should be up to date with the latest official release.  Names often change in dev, so the github dev version of Tantares may differ.   If anything is unclear or you're struggling to build something from the guide, let me know and I'll update it.

Edited by Friznit

4 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Is there a real names patch for tantares like there is for BDB? 

I would make one myself before people ask, but I literally have no clue :confused:

No patch currently, but everything is tagged with irl names - so if you search you know, "Salyut" or whatever, you will get the parts you need.

8 hours ago, nothingSpecial said:

a question on this mistery orb that is clearly no based on anything

would, purely hypothetically,  that top thing include breaking motors for soft landing (not like anyone would want to land in this thing, just a silly thought)

It certainly would! ...hypothetically.

On 7/5/2021 at 8:12 PM, Kuiper_Belt said:

A Legendary Partnership

Bu3K53y.jpg

beauty! Got to love habtech.

screenshot74.png?width=1072&height=603
screenshot78.png?width=1072&height=603

3 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Also sorry, is the latest update released (The Mir parts one or something like that I can’t remember hehe)

I was under the impression it was, but I downloaded from the Spacedock link and it appears to still be old parts 

These are still a work in progress, (but very close to completion!) Not yet released.

Let's talk about seating,

One seat, nice and simple:

screenshot107.png?width=1072&height=603

Two seat (ignore the helmets) - doable:

sYonUW3.jpeg

Three seat, things get tricky.

Triangle pattern:

screenshot106.png?width=1072&height=603
couch:

screenshot108.png?width=1072&height=603

Obviously nothing is ideal, and there is clipping here.

So I would like to hear thoughts - two or three seats for the second sphere capsule?
Thoughts on gameplay balancing and not just historical accuracy would be really appreciated.

7gu89b5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Beale said:

I'm fine with just 2.  Voskhod 1 was the only 3 person mission for the Voskhod programme.  Voskhod 2 was of course 2 person, and the canceled missions were mostly 2 person, with a 1 person mission thrown in there. 

9 minutes ago, softweir said:

What, so he'd be face-down during liftoff? :0.0:

He is a kerbal, he will be fine. Actually, the three could start fighting for who gets to stay on the upper seat depending on their stupidity levels

12 hours ago, Beale said:

One seat, nice and simple:

screenshot107.png?width=1072&height=603

Two seat (ignore the helmets) - doable:

sYonUW3.jpeg

Three seat, things get tricky.

Triangle pattern:

screenshot106.png?width=1072&height=603
couch:

screenshot108.png?width=1072&height=603

Obviously nothing is ideal, and there is clipping here.

So I would like to hear thoughts - two or three seats for the second sphere capsule?
Thoughts on gameplay balancing and not just historical accuracy would be really appreciated.

7gu89b5.jpeg

i'd say go for two only. having three of them was insanity even in real context (i, uh, would say that voskhod-1 was the most dangerous spacecraft in the whole history). replicas needs aside, it will compete somewhat with tantares in career.

on the other hand, inserting three kerbals in a spherical tin can is so damn kerbal - i can imagine the line of reasoning here: "they can bear that so that's okay". its funny so maybe acceptable with a side dish of replica, but do not overstress yourself if you can't place all of them.

out of presented options id say couch is better, and small amount of clipping (if they wont like go through each other's cameras in first person view) is even good - it will look like they sit in cramped capsule, it's exactly what is needed?

but bottom line is do not overstress yourself.

personally i would be perfectly fine with two  crew voskhod-1 and one crew voskhod-2 (it's not like i have never done one kerballed evas, even on voskhods made of your previous incarnations of vostok).

btw, will it be named cassiopeia? pegasus? perseus? medusa?

tenor.gif

also, in the case you do choose to make a three crew capsule in a couch sitting, make the central seat be the last one taken. a little bit of comfort!

oh, and another thought: you can also try to place one kerbal in inverted position (head where legs of others are). not sure if it will give more space, but at least eyes wouldn't get pushed out of poor fella's eyesockets during liftoff...

Edited by nothingSpecial

19 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

@Friznit, I was gonna ask, since you do all the wikis, including Tantares, are we ever going to get wiki pages on Tantares SP?

Yes absolutely, it's on my To Do list.  I'm waiting for Beale's current dev cycle to get close to completion before reviewing and updating everything.

On 7/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, Beale said:

I personally feel like 2 seats is enough.  With 3 seats it would overlap with Soyuz too much, and 2 seats are not only plenty enough to recreate Voskhod mission profile, but would also make this into a sort of gameplay analogue for MH Gemini pod. 3-manned Voskhod will be essential only for EXTREME history nerds, and they could easily add a missing seat via .cfg editing... By the way, speaking of which, a 3-man IVA (seing as it is already sort of in-game) could be made into an extra option coming with github download. A triangle pattern is, IMO, better in this case as it looks more realistic (as realistic as THAT can look lol), and does not, again, overlap visually with Souz which has, as i remember, a "couch" layout.

4 hours ago, Mati1268 said:

Does Tantares work on 1.12 version of KSP?

Yes, mods that ad parts are generally not too sensetive to game versions. Problems can arise with plugins, or some mods with a lot of dependencies, but even they are usually fine if not specified othervise. Main mod-breaking updates (after which plugin mods made for earlier versions usually break) are 1.8 and 1.10, minor ones are 1.4 and 1.5 I believe.