[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I'm here to report a lack of bugs in 1.9.1 with the latest Tant and TantLV.  My crafts load up, the N1 still flies smooth, the green stain coming out of the closet hasn't gotten bigger.  So if anyone want's to keep going 1.9.1 till other mods update to 1.10.1, you have a yay for now!

IbWJktB.pngrQxvEtF.png

Welcome to page 772!

Edited by MashAndBangers

9 minutes ago, Danny88 said:

I'm having an issue with the BLOK-D Engine, it's not appearing as an engine, but a fuel tank. 

The BLOK-D is separated into 2 parts iirc. The fuel tank and the engine. There's nothing wrong with your install. 

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The BLOK-D is separated into 2 parts iirc. The fuel tank and the engine. There's nothing wrong with your install. 

It's two separate parts, yes, but the BLOK-D Engine itself is for some reason in the tank section, and not functional.

Spoiler

LGnVsuX.png

23 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Well... that is a problem. @Beale

Found the issue: in the CGF file.

MODULE
  {
    name = sFX
    EngineType = LiquidFuel
    engineID = MainNozzles
    runningEffectName = running_closed
    allowRestart = true
    thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
    exhaustDamage = True
    ignitionThreshold = 0.1
    minThrust = 0
    maxThrust = 41
    heatProduction = 200

Should read 

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleEnginesFX
    EngineType = LiquidFuel
    engineID = MainNozzles
    runningEffectName = running_closed
    allowRestart = true
    thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
    exhaustDamage = True
    ignitionThreshold = 0.1
    minThrust = 0
    maxThrust = 41
    heatProduction = 200

Anyway: She's a beaut:

Spoiler

uUIBuA5.png

Edited by Danny88

6 hours ago, Zarbon44 said:

I have been trying a lot of variant adding tonight, i think these look great. Great work on the N1 revamp!
rRv0XkG.png

Amazing

5 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

I'm here to report a lack of bugs in 1.9.1 with the latest Tant and TantLV.  My crafts load up, the N1 still flies smooth, the green stain coming out of the closet hasn't gotten bigger.  So if anyone want's to keep going 1.9.1 till other mods update to 1.10.1, you have a yay for now!

IbWJktB.png

Welcome to page 772!

Awesome, great to know!

3 hours ago, Danny88 said:

I'm having an issue with the BLOK-D Engine, it's not appearing as an engine, but a fuel tank. 

Fixed for this patch, many thanks.

50 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@Beale The Github download for the Spacecraft isn't updated to version 0.23. It's still on 0.22.2. Doesn't look like 0.23 is even on Github.

Should be fixed now, many thanks.

TantaresLV 13.1

Fixed issue with Blok-D engine.

tOfwPqZ.png and kTa33GP.png

BXXVYIe.jpeg

1 minute ago, Beale said:

Amazing

Awesome, great to know!

Fixed for this patch, many thanks.

Should be fixed now, many thanks.

TantaresLV 13.1

Fixed issue with Blok-D engine.

tOfwPqZ.png and kTa33GP.png

BXXVYIe.jpeg

Awesome.

Also, could we get the Libra Size 7.5 Rocket Engine Cluster without the engines so we can manually place all the engines? I use TCA, and I would like to make a hovering stage 1 of the N1, hard to do when all the engines are locked to one throttle. 

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Awesome.

Also, could we get the Libra Size 7.5 Rocket Engine Cluster without the engines so we can manually place all the engines? I use TCA, and I would like to make a hovering stage 1 of the N1, hard to do when all the engines are locked to one throttle. 

Not feasible, engine sounds are additive, unless there's a config fix it would brick the game audio while the stage is running (and probably give you tinnitus).

The part should have "fake TCA" anyhow, there are invisible gimbals behind each nozzle.

Not feasible, engine sounds are additive, unless there's a config fix it would brick the game audio while the stage is running (and probably give you tinnitus).

The part should have "fake TCA" anyhow, there are invisible gimbals behind each nozzle.

TCA works on thrust, not gimbal. 

And how is it not feasible? People build 50 engine crafts all the time.

Hmmm. What about giving the part multiple thrust transform modules? Four groups of them, for each side of the part?

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

TCA works on thrust, not gimbal. 

And how is it not feasible? People build 50 engine crafts all the time.

Hmmm. What about giving the part multiple thrust transform modules? Four groups of them, for each side of the part?

Misunderstanding, not that TCA works with gimbal - but this part has gimbals which give it a fake "TCA" like control. So currently the engine does have 30 separate thrust transforms - so if this is compatible with TCA that should work.

It's "feasible", but not something I would be happy to do from a QoL and polish perspective, the sound of a cluster like this would just be horrible, and I don't currently know a way to fix that.

14 minutes ago, Beale said:

Misunderstanding, not that TCA works with gimbal - but this part has gimbals which give it a fake "TCA" like control. So currently the engine does have 30 separate thrust transforms - so if this is compatible with TCA that should work.

It's "feasible", but not something I would be happy to do from a QoL and polish perspective, the sound of a cluster like this would just be horrible, and I don't currently know a way to fix that.

Hmmm. Give us two versions of the NK-15. A regular version and a "Silent" version. No sound. 

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Hmmm. Give us two versions of the NK-15. A regular version and a "Silent" version. No sound. 

I don't think that's a good solution. Put yourself in the shoes of somebody who just downloaded this for the first time to try it out, first thing they see in the VAB is:

• NK-33
  • NK-33 (No sound)

Doesn't that seem a bit alienating to you? Not stockalike?

That would also destroy one of the main perks of separating this out, the option of using different engines, without making a soundless version of every KSP engine.

I'll freely hand the assets to anyone who asks (nobody has, so far) to modify and distribute their own "engine-less" cluster part. Just have to ask.

Edited by Beale

I don't think that's a good solution. Put yourself in the shoes of somebody who just downloaded this for the first time to try it out, first thing they see in the VAB is:

• NK-33
  • NK-33 (No sound)

Doesn't that seem a bit alienating to you? Not stockalike?

That would also destroy one of the main perks of separating this out, the option of using different engines, without making a soundless version of every KSP engine.

True, hmmm...

Well, I'm running 30 Nk-33's and the game is holding fine. Of course, I do have the audio reduced. 7% master volume, 5% for everything else. Kind of sounds like the videos of the N1 I've seen. Game isn't lagging either. 

Well, the only other options I can think of to deal with the supposed audio issue is to either:
1) Reduce the audio on the Nk-33 from the start so it isn't ear r*pingly bad
2) Create a plugin that reduces the audio levels based on the number of engines you have on a craft. 

Third possible option, leave some empty spots in the Libra engine cluster for us to fill in with Nk-33's manually. 2 on each side. That would give us 9 engines in total. The cluster + 8 engines. 

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

2) Create a plugin that reduces the audio levels based on the number of engines you have on a craft.

I think this is the go-to solution, and would be widely appreciated by the KSP community at large - you should pick up this idea and run with it.

If you can get this, or provide a config fix for the engine noise, I can consider making a naked mount - keep in mind very few people will be running at 5% volume.

Just now, Beale said:

I think this is the go-to solution, and would be widely appreciated by the KSP community at large - you should pick up this idea and run with it.

If you can get this, or provide a config fix for the engine noise, I can consider making a naked mount - keep in mind very few people will be running at 5% volume.

Yeah... I have no coding skills whatsoever... :P

2 minutes ago, Beale said:

Yeah... thanks, but nah. I'm good. 

Honestly could could give us the part and put it in a separate folder calling it, "Use at your own risk."

I guess I'll just manually place the NK-33's on the current plate and just have the manually placed engines running from inside the cluster. 

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Yeah... thanks, but nah. I'm good. 

Honestly could could give us the part and put it in a separate folder calling it, "Use at your own risk."

I guess I'll just manually place the NK-33's on the current plate and just have the manually placed engines running from inside the cluster. 

Like I said, the assets are free, do it yourself and redistribute it as you please, it's just not something I want to do.

The offer for assets is completely there,  there is plenty of help and support in part modding and we help each other out.

Take the mesh

G0Lnbfa.jpeg

Remove engines

QYaU9oc.jpeg

Configure up in Unity and add either surface or sunken nodes.

O5Rs2cF.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Beale said:

Like I said, the assets are free, do it yourself and redistribute it as you please, it's just not something I want to do.

The offer for assets is completely there,  there is plenty of help and support in part modding and we help each other out.

Take the mesh

G0Lnbfa.jpeg

Remove engines

QYaU9oc.jpeg

Configure up in Unity and add either surface or sunken nodes.

O5Rs2cF.jpeg

I mean you could do that, 

or yknow

Spoiler

just use the engine as a whole dumb dumb

21 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. :) Looks like there's market for the naked mount. In my case, it's also about Kerbalism failing single engines and not the whole cluster (admittedly, the latter is more historically accurate :) ). Also, differential throttling with MJ.

I might look at the plugin someday, admittedly that does sound useful. Count the number of engines currently running, override the volume on each to be 1/n. Now just to get that running on that crock of a game engine that is Unity. :) 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. :) Looks like there's market for the naked mount. In my case, it's also about Kerbalism failing single engines and not the whole cluster (admittedly, the latter is more historically accurate :) ). Also, differential throttling with MJ.

Hey, it's hard getting 30 engines to work together. I just hope SpaceX can get 31 engines to work together on their Super Heavy. 

Edited by GoldForest

Yeah, that reminds me, might be worth talking to the guy making the SpaceX mod, as well. Would be nice if he got rid of clusters, too. Remember that SpaceX actually flew a 27-Merlin Falcon Heavy, which would have the exact same issue in KSP if done with discrete engines.