[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

1 minute ago, Dragon01 said:

Yeah, that reminds me, might be worth talking to the guy making the SpaceX mod, as well. Would be nice if he got rid of clusters, too. Remember that SpaceX actually flew a 27-Merlin Falcon Heavy, which would have the exact same issue in KSP if done with discrete engines.

Well, they ran 27 engines yes, but in reality they flew three separate rockets to do so. The 9 engines were known to work well together, and having them on 3 separate rockets helped matters. 

41 minutes ago, Beale said:

By the way, is there any desire in the future to make buran in the style Shuttle Orbiter Construction ??

there is energy, but there is no storm itself, it's a pity.

Why did the Russians use double fairings on the N1 anyway? I mean, they encaused BLOK G and D inside a fairing, then encased it again in the outer fairing. It's just taking up weight in my opinion. They could have done the Atlas V Centaur fairing technique. Just transfer the weight of the LOK to the fairings with some mount. 

440px-Nutzlast_N1.jpg

8 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

I'm here to report a lack of bugs in 1.9.1 with the latest Tant and TantLV.  My crafts load up, the N1 still flies smooth, the green stain coming out of the closet hasn't gotten bigger.  So if anyone want's to keep going 1.9.1 till other mods update to 1.10.1, you have a yay for now!

IbWJktB.pngrQxvEtF.png

Nice to know for those of us waiting for restock/stable kopernicus. Also, nice LOK! And does no-one realise that the Soviets were very Kerbal? They could have called it lunar orbiter craft, but it's lunar orbiter kraft!:) (not to mention n1+ur-700)

As for the engine mount thing: let's not pester @Beale about it, it's a lot of work to redo it, but do know that individual engines are better for the part faliure crowd to accuratly simulate failiures on independent turbopump structures.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

On 8/3/2020 at 9:33 AM, Beale said:

Additional Question Time

A while ago - all engines were switched to Monopropellant, this was to:

• Unify the fuel supply in craft, closer to IRL and more importantly easier to balance well.
  • Prevent scenarios where craft don't have the manouvering fuel but main engine fuel (too much LFO, not enough monoprop for example).

But, this might not have worked so well.
Personally, I don't have too much time to play KSP, but when I do, I can get a bit frustrated by the change - especially being unable to not use Restock engines / fuel tanks / mix and match.

So might it be better instead to unify all the fuel to LFO, and also switch the RCS thrusters to use LFO?

I don't have this problem, because i use a self-redacted verion of CryoTanks patch to add Monoprop configuration to all LFO tanks. I'm not nesssarily suggesting exactly that, but maybe you could do a LFO/Monoprop switch in Tantares tanks? The switch was very logical and besides - added Monoprop engines and tanks. I very much dislike having the same fuel in a rocket and a spacecraft and having separate fuels in a spacecraft, and it seems to be so with a lot of other people - Nertea keeps his spacecraft engines monoprop, Well uses monoprop as well (pun intended). Also a lot of people see LFO as RP1-O2 and monoprop as hypergolic fuel mixture, so, if I am allowed to suggest, you can, on the contrary, switch Proton to use monopropellant - soviet love for hypergolics rarely gets reflected in mods.

49 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Почему русские вообще использовали двойные обтекатели на N1? Я имею в виду, они заключили BLOK G и D внутрь обтекателя, а затем снова заключили его во внешний обтекатель. На мой взгляд, это просто набирает вес. Они могли бы сделать технику обтекателя Atlas V Centaur. Просто перенесите вес LOK на обтекатели с помощью некоторого крепления. 

440px-Payload_N1.jpg

probably it was necessary.

installed the updated LV mod, but I can't see it. H-1 went into the folder with it and there seemed to be no textures there.

I have this. Is that how it should be? iQF2xq6__b4.jpg

17 minutes ago, NiL said:

I don't have this problem, because i use a self-redacted verion of CryoTanks patch to add Monoprop configuration to all LFO tanks. I'm not nesssarily suggesting exactly that, but maybe you could do a LFO/Monoprop switch in Tantares tanks? The switch was very logical and besides - added Monoprop engines and tanks. I very much dislike having the same fuel in a rocket and a spacecraft and having separate fuels in a spacecraft, and it seems to be so with a lot of other people - Nertea keeps his spacecraft engines monoprop, Well uses monoprop as well (pun intended). Also a lot of people see LFO as RP1-O2 and monoprop as switch Proton to use monopropellant - soviet love for hypergolics rarely gets reflected in mods.

I personally think of monoprop as a hypergolic mixture too, and would prefer to stay in line with precedent. It could be a patch, though, if anybody actually wants it. 

Regarding hypergol proton: YES! I've always thought it was a bit op, especially if you just add another tank above s1. Switching to mono would help. This would also have a home in the upcoming bdb update for titan. Maybe @CobaltWolf @Jso @Zorg could take a look?

13 minutes ago, prinjrius said:

But why?

38 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I personally think of monoprop as a hypergolic mixture too, and would prefer to stay in line with precedent. It could be a patch, though, if anybody actually wants it. 

Regarding hypergol proton: YES! I've always thought it was a bit op, especially if you just add another tank above s1. Switching to mono would help. This would also have a home in the upcoming bdb update for titan. Maybe ___ could take a look?

But why?

The Titan update for BDB has been out for some time. We arent interested in switching it over to Monoprop. We feel LFO covers an abstracted Kerolox or Hypergolic biprop mixture while mono represents, well monopropellant such as straight up hydrazine. We therefore use mono only for rca and various small OMS systems like Gemini, and probe engines. Even Apollo runs on LFO.

For people who are interested in having hypergolics distinguished from LFO without going full realfuels, we have a tentative optional Az50+NTO patch in the issues section of BDB github.

Functionally my understanding is the in game LFO has a mixture ratio and density that is in fact relatively speaking closer to biprop hypergols than kerolox actually and without a boiloff mechanic for stock Oxidiser to make it behave like liquid oxygen doesnt make much difference if you abstract both Kero and hypergolic biprop into one. In BDB we do distinguish the fuels with the choice of plume effects and the titan engines come in both flavours for each generation.

Edited by Zorg

56 minutes ago, prinjrius said:

installed the updated LV mod, but I can't see it. H-1 went into the folder with it and there seemed to be no textures there.

I have this. Is that how it should be? iQF2xq6__b4.jpg

Looks like the old N1, you should see a new folder called ANY_FUEL_TANK

1 hour ago, prinjrius said:

By the way, is there any desire in the future to make buran in the style Shuttle Orbiter Construction ??

there is energy, but there is no storm itself, it's a pity.

No plans right now.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Why did the Russians use double fairings on the N1 anyway? I mean, they encaused BLOK G and D inside a fairing, then encased it again in the outer fairing. It's just taking up weight in my opinion. They could have done the Atlas V Centaur fairing technique. Just transfer the weight of the LOK to the fairings with some mount.

Must be a valid reason, if a source can be found I'd like to know.

Thanks all for the feedback re:balancing, sounds like LFO is the best bet.

Blugh! What a mess I made of things :confused:

46 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Regarding hypergol proton: YES! I've always thought it was a bit op, especially if you just add another tank above s1. Switching to mono would help. This would also have a home in the upcoming bdb update for titan. Maybe @CobaltWolf @Jso @Zorg could take a look?

But why?

Probably this is a protective case for blocks. To protect against overheating. maybe some fragments of asteroids and the like.25-4219990-peregruzka-7k-l1a.jpg

15 minutes ago, Beale said:

Похоже на старый N1, вы должны увидеть новую папку под названием ANY_FUEL_TANK

Планов сейчас нет.

Должна быть веская причина, если источник можно найти, я хотел бы знать.

Спасибо всем за отзывы о балансировке, звучит так, будто LFO - лучший выбор.

Blugh! Какой беспорядок я сделал из вещей:смущенный:

i downloaded the new version of spacedock

here is the name "TantaresLV_-_Stockalike_Launch_Vehicles-13.1"

I wana ask something i wanna help to translate the game i talk spanish and english,why did i wanna translate?

ok i was playimng in my original language (spanish) and is a little problem having many diferent languages in your game.

so that why why i wan to translate 

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

How'd you make the UR-900? Would love to see these on the Wiki.

I'll happily add anything that can be built out of Tantares parts (or with a reasonable amount of stock parts augmenting it).

If it needs other mods or tweakscale I'll need details on how to recreate it and can list in the "other (non Tantares)" bit. It would certainly be cool to round out the wiki with a complete set of Soviet/Russian/Ukraine rockets.

8 hours ago, GoldForest said:

It was a structural fairing to reduce stresses to the fragile LK Lander. In fact there was three fairings on the L3 Complex, one outer one, one between BLOK-G and BLOK-D and one between BLOK-D an LOK.

Why is the shroud on the N1 2nd stage 2-sector? It was trisector, which is pretty obvious when looking at the pictures (you can see two separation planes in one pic). 

Also, it would've been nice to have the pieces as separate parts. First, because of N11. Second, because those sets of boxes were separation motors. Yes, the N1 was so crazy it had separation motors on its engine shroud.

Oh, well, maybe when the mod gets reworked for KSP2...

7 hours ago, prinjrius said:

i downloaded the new version of spacedock

here is the name "TantaresLV_-_Stockalike_Launch_Vehicles-13.1"

try a clean re-install of the mod.

4 hours ago, Zarbon44 said:

Soviet rocket stronks.
raadGb0.jpg

Awesome, many thanks for making this.

2 hours ago, SovietGamer said:

@Beale did u have update in ckan i see and only there is there Tantares LV

Probably a spacedock problem.

2 hours ago, SovietGamer said:

I wana ask something i wanna help to translate the game i talk spanish and english,why did i wanna translate?

ok i was playimng in my original language (spanish) and is a little problem having many diferent languages in your game.

so that why why i wan to translate 

Sure if you want to submit a spanish LOC pull request it's welcome.

34 minutes ago, Danny88 said:

It was a structural fairing to reduce stresses to the fragile LK Lander. In fact there was three fairings on the L3 Complex, one outer one, one between BLOK-G and BLOK-D and one between BLOK-D an LOK.

That's interesting many thanks, probably explains why the Blok-G is not "naked".

Edited by Beale

7 minutes ago, Beale said:

That's interesting many thanks, probably explains why the Blok-G is not "naked".

The one between Blok-G and Blok-D was more like an outer covering than a fairing, really, added for structural support, I don't think it split apart normally, just when staging between G and D. It had the added bonus of protecting the tanks from debris. 

This image shows the different separation planes between the fairings.

Spoiler

dNbsQ.jpg

2 hours ago, Danny88 said:

I present to you, the first international thru-the-heatshield conference:

Hide contents

WrezAnJ.png

Aaaah awesome! What is this red antenna on the Big G? I really like that.

Spoiler

What?

s0cj4eP.jpg