[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, for real.

54a4008daad4565a9b5db1b94e59c74c.jpg

Just to be clear, I'm just making fun. I really love the N-1 IRL and your various versions of it just keep getting better!

Just look at that little tiny Soviet superman scurrying about the base!

N1_1M1_mockup_on_the_launch_pad_at_the_B

Edited by captainradish

8 hours ago, Beale said:

YARRR, THAR SHE BLOWS

I've run multiple studies on the LK and LOK, and I intend to do her justice. An Impressive beastie she is. Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

12 hours ago, MOARdV said:

That's a start.  When can we expect the launch gantry? :)

(and, to make sure I'm clear: I DO NOT expect Beale, or anyone else, to make a launch gantry.  It's Friday afternoon, my time, and I'm being a smart aleck because I'm ready to be done with work for the week)

And now to grab the Github snapshot and enjoy some rocketry dialed to 11.  Or, at least, 10.625. :)

Back in the day @SnowWhite who sadly has been gone for a real long time made an incredible N1 launch tower.

The great and talented AlphaMensae made some great launch towers which you can kitbash to get something similar.

xTqJZSm.png

How did I forget the Github Link lol, here it is, very rough WIP but flyable :)

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresLV

FX and sounds are a little janky right now, so be a little carefully if you are clustering a lot of the NK engines, the audio can be loud (This is more of a general KSP problem, but I will try to mitigate it).

screenshot373.png?width=1084&height=610
screenshot380.png?width=1084&height=610

10 hours ago, captainradish said:

Just to be clear, I'm just making fun. I really love the N-1 IRL and your various versions of it just keep getting better!

Just look at that little tiny Soviet superman scurrying about the base!

N1_1M1_mockup_on_the_launch_pad_at_the_B

The size is crazy for sure, Kerbal is about the same size relatively:

aIu43m7.jpg

2 hours ago, prinjrius said:

square fins are visible in the first step, will they be added? Sorry for my English.

yeah that's planned for sure.

NK-39 engine WIP

Not really anything special, and lack of sources means it's a little bit messy in the piping, but getting closer to finishing the main N1 stack.
Blok-G will have to use this engine also.

CW0GBD5.jpg
XDeNqaY.jpeg

Its size is certainly impressive, it pleases. The sound is excellent, but the volume of the second stage will have to be reduced. I have not been able to find overhead rings for the first and second steps. it must be huge. And of course square stabilizers must be made.

Super-quick feedback - most of this you're aware of, since this is all bleeding-edge new development and not official release.  Hopefully these aren't something I did wrong, since I would hope I've got this "download from GitHub and install" thing figured out :)  On the other hand, the Block D and a couple of other parts showed up all-black, so maybe there is something screwy with my test installation (1.9.1, should not be any mods that interfere).

No localization yet (I don't expect any)

There is a large visual gap between Block-A and the Block-A engine cluster - the bottom node on Block-A is too far down.  I double-checked that the module manager cache node positions match the original part's config file.

No decoupler for Block-A to Block-B. (I assume there should be decouplers, since the fuel tanks don't have decoupler functionality).  I used the 'old' N-1 decoupler for B/V.

Block-V has no mesh on the top - but it's easy to cover with a 3.75m fairing base.

Engines don't generate power.

I like the pixel density - I wasn't sure that a lower-density was going to look as good, but this thing is so huge that closeups aren't as useful.  One should bask in all the glory of the rocket, not just a few side panels.  Visually, it looks good.

Fuel burn rates felt okay (meaning, the time I spent flying each stage felt okay), although I think Block-B (2nd stage) T/W may be a bit low.  I'll have to go double-check - with a minimal payload, I think it was slightly above 1, which seems awfully low for a Kerbal 2nd stage, since that wasn't a full L3 launch complex or something like that.

Sorry this is fairly brief, and I don't mean for it to sound negative, since this isn't the final config for the parts.  I really like what you've got so far, and I look forward to integrating it into my play-through installation once it settles down.

47 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Super-quick feedback - <snip>

Great feedback, many thanks. Most things in the pipeline (I should reall update the github project tracker though), but good to keep in mind.

I think balancing is going to be a boot to the head, with along way to come, but feedback like this is very useful indeed.

Back to 200 pixels per metre land, with the Blok-G.

This a little switchable fuel tank / mount you can put the engine in.

74xmrBa.jpeg

4 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Beale:  Build N1F

Me:  No

4vM77On.png

Great to see these used so soon!

Spoiler

There are a few NK-33 centric rockets I want to see.

Edited by Beale

I will be adding N1 and Energia-Buran launch bases and towers for v2.2 of Modular Launch Pads, which I will get to after v2.1 is done. It will be part of a "Big Rockets" update, as it will also have a remake/revamp of the Saturn and Shuttle pad parts...which will be done first. :D 

The N1 base and tower will be designed around the Tantares N1 as the default, so it's a good thing Beale is remaking it :P 

A whole bunch of the craft files that are downloadable from the OP of this thread are made out of now deprecated parts. Is there an updated download somewhere? I don't know how to make any of them unless @Friznit wants to add all the Mir modules to the excellent build guide.

7 hours ago, oniontrain said:

A whole bunch of the craft files that are downloadable from the OP of this thread are made out of now deprecated parts. Is there an updated download somewhere? I don't know how to make any of them unless @Friznit wants to add all the Mir modules to the excellent build guide.

I have a sneaky repository of (unofficial) craft files on the same github as the wiki (look on the code tab).  I think the Mir files are in need of an update though.  The pictures on the Mir page should be a fairly good reference for now - they're mostly fairly straight forward to build.

15 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I want to take a break after N1, so I will probably get around to updating all of those, some fall out of date.

Redone all decouplers, 0.625m to 7.5m

MIz6jVF.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Beale said:

I want to take a break after N1, so I will probably get around to updating all of those, some fall out of date.

Redone all decouplers, 0.625m to 7.5m

Really nice. 

Also, TBH, I really don't see the need to update the Proton/Soyuz rocket. They still fit nice with the aesthetic of Stockalike/Restock

Time for screenshots:

2Kt3JIp.png3K9pGN9.png

rf3qlS2.png2zQSPZ9.png

evW0WAs.pngWlxxyGb.png

f9pnoGl.png

Abort systems work.  Comrades can into space.

Notes:  Block G needs more fuel, probably on the list.  The N1 stages need less fuel with the current engine configs. 

1st stage engines:  Hello darkness my old friiiend!

2nd stage engines:  CRAAAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!

Squad:  Lower volume with more engines?  Never!

Edited by MashAndBangers

2 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Time for screenshots:

2Kt3JIp.png3K9pGN9.png

Abort systems work.  Comrades can into space.

Notes:  Block G needs more fuel, probably on the list.  The N1 stages need less fuel with the current engine configs. 

1st stage engines:  Hello darkness my old friiiend!

2nd stage engines:  CRAAAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!

Squad:  Lower volume with more engines?  Never!

Awesome mission, I love how LOK looks with the new colours.

Balancing is off, one giveaway is that the NII cannot lift off without emptying half the fuel, which isn't great, need to spend time redoing all that when all the 3D assets are made (almost there).

Sound is... awful... Trying to pool it somehow.

Revised Blok G

RcBKa68.jpeg
YLPom1C.jpeg

old Blok G

mIyFDvt.jpeg

Edited by Beale