[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Please consider adjusting 4MV's pressure limits for KSRSS. The probe explodes while flying mid-Venusian atmosphere in 2.5x rescaled system due to, well, exceeding pressure limits.

Edited by biohazard15

16 hours ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

Q96zbP2.jpg

Loving the part revamp! Fantastic Job!

Incredible! Among the best mir builds I have seen. Would be delighted to use it for the thumbnail this release if you don't mind.

12 hours ago, Raqnick said:

What about a paraschute on Luna 16 capsule ?

Unfortunately last minute issues made the parachute untenable due  to stock-game bugs.

But, the capsule is reinforced to not require a chute.

BqTlN6s.jpeg

11 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Please consider adjusting 4MV's pressure limits for KSRSS. The probe explodes while flying mid-Venusian atmosphere in 2.5x rescaled system due to, well, exceeding pressure limits.

Sure, if you have some suggested numbers I can include these in the next version.

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Sure, if you have some suggested numbers I can include these in the next version.

staticPressureASL = 7.09275E+03 (that's from KSRSS' Venus.cfg. Rescale config does not change atmospheric pressure).

How exactly pressure limits work in KSP? Is it possible to have things fail after some time? Or it's just plain "you go over a certain limit, you die on the spot"? Would be cool if probe worked for a limited time before succumbing to environment, just like the real thing did.

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

.... shouldn't it, though...?

Only early landers (Venera 4-6). Later landers were designed to withstand up to 180 bar.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:16 PM, Beale said:

Are you using the WIP version from GitHub maybe? Official releases should not have deprecated parts installed - I recommend a clean install.

Copy paste the folder "N1" , then in the config files - you will need to make sure the paths pointing to the models are correct.

TantaresSAF Version 1.0

This took a while, but this mod is finally no longer a weird secret download.
Should be available on CKAN soon.

TantaresSAF - GitHub
(Simple Adjustable Fairings)

To use these, you need Simple Adjustable Fairings!

ivpBfyN.jpg
VNt4zmj.jpg
OVOur2w.jpeg

Hey, with the SAF Progress fairing, would it be possible to make variations for the soyuz parts to make them look like the Soyuz 2.1 boosters/core and a white staging plate? Intercolor has gray core parts but its just not dark enough, Would be very cool.

6441704897.png?width=450&height=676

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

staticPressureASL = 7.09275E+03 (that's from KSRSS' Venus.cfg. Rescale config does not change atmospheric pressure).

How exactly pressure limits work in KSP? Is it possible to have things fail after some time? Or it's just plain "you go over a certain limit, you die on the spot"? Would be cool if probe worked for a limited time before succumbing to environment, just like the real thing did.

Only early landers (Venera 4-6). Later landers were designed to withstand up to 180 bar.

Many thanks.

Re: "How exactly pressure limits work in KSP?"

Unfortunately I think it's just a flat number, rather than any cool mechanic for crunching over time.

1 hour ago, CardZLol said:

Hey, with the SAF Progress fairing, would it be possible to make variations for the soyuz parts to make them look like the Soyuz 2.1 boosters/core and a white staging plate? Intercolor has gray core parts but its just not dark enough, Would be very cool.

6441704897.png?width=450&height=676

I would very much like to add some colour options for Soyuz at some point, so i will put this in mind for definite.

If you have a possibility to open a GitHub issue on the TantaresLV repo, I will have a better chance to remember.

yorb

RjO0Kkn.jpeg

On 6/9/2014 at 4:23 AM, Beale said:

The new version is up! :)

742b2aa81f.jpg

I have totally re-done all the models and textures. Including a few more "stock" texture elements I think they're looking the real deal now.

Balancing might still be off, I think they should both still be capable of their intended use.

As always, feedback is very helpful, especially for balance (which I'm terrible at)!

Thanks for all the support!

c0bf7cc887.jpg

2cd41dcee2.jpg

I think next I'll work on some alternate colour schemes.

My how this wonderful collection of mods has changed since back then.

screenshot343.png

3 hours ago, Beale said:

yorb

RjO0Kkn.jpeg

also, VOSTOK!?

22 hours ago, Beale said:

Incredible! Among the best mir builds I have seen. Would be delighted to use it for the thumbnail this release if you don't mind.

Unfortunately last minute issues made the parachute untenable due  to stock-game bugs.

But, the capsule is reinforced to not require a chute.

BqTlN6s.jpeg

Oh,hello.Could you please add Luna parts(1,2,3,9,10,11) and Molniya satellite ?

On this episode of the VA meltdown saga:  M&B discovers spooky heating!

So I decided to boot up KSP and look into the VA and it's heatshield.  But you know what?  I'm lazy.  So I use the cheat to orbit option then do my normal re-entry... only this time the VA stays cool as a cat on bread.

Well now I'm stumped.  So normal launch just to be sure.  VA esplodes upon re-entry.....

WELP now I'm stumped.  If you cheat the VA/TKS and Proton to orbit, the VA doesn't heat up.  If you do a normal launch, VA heats up and explodes.

Here  is my craft file.

I'm in JNSQ, 150x150km orbit at 45 degrees inclination.  I de-orbit until Mechjeb landing guidance says 4.4g.  And yes, I have cheat orbited the whole proton stack to see if it's a part interaction with the fairings or the Launch Escape Tower, but it might be KSP's buggy heat system.

On 7/1/2021 at 1:52 AM, Kuiper_Belt said:

Look whos back!

tMdaIkU.jpg

If only we could have a Shuttle Buran Mir combo... Hmmmmm... That gives me an idea...

Consider the challenge accepted (in a friendly manner)

On 6/30/2021 at 10:40 PM, KeaKaka said:

My how this wonderful collection of mods has changed since back then.

screenshot343.png

also, VOSTOK!?

What a journey! So happy to see so many familiar faces still checking in!

Great shot!

On 6/30/2021 at 11:52 PM, Kuiper_Belt said:

Look whos back!

tMdaIkU.jpg

If only we could have a Shuttle Buran Mir combo... Hmmmmm... That gives me an idea...

lovely shot! I highly support Shuttle Buran (Or Shuttle Salyut? :P )

On 7/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, Raqnick said:

Oh,hello.Could you please add Luna parts(1,2,3,9,10,11) and Molniya satellite ?

no plans currently

20 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

On this episode of the VA meltdown saga:  M&B discovers spooky heating!

So I decided to boot up KSP and look into the VA and it's heatshield.  But you know what?  I'm lazy.  So I use the cheat to orbit option then do my normal re-entry... only this time the VA stays cool as a cat on bread.

Well now I'm stumped.  So normal launch just to be sure.  VA esplodes upon re-entry.....

WELP now I'm stumped.  If you cheat the VA/TKS and Proton to orbit, the VA doesn't heat up.  If you do a normal launch, VA heats up and explodes.

Here  is my craft file.

I'm in JNSQ, 150x150km orbit at 45 degrees inclination.  I de-orbit until Mechjeb landing guidance says 4.4g.  And yes, I have cheat orbited the whole proton stack to see if it's a part interaction with the fairings or the Launch Escape Tower, but it might be KSP's buggy heat system.

very strange - this could potentially be a kopernicus thing too? But I have noticed strange behaviour sometimes with hyperedit position.

When in a normal launch, the ablator is not somehow sapped on the way up right?

Mystery Ball, could be anything

3NEKSwD.jpeg
m5zRiE4.jpeg

11 hours ago, Beale said:

Great shot!

no plans currently

very strange - this could potentially be a kopernicus thing too? But I have noticed strange behaviour sometimes with hyperedit position.

3NEKSwD.jpeg
m5zRiE4.jpeg

Looks great! Would you consider making a SAF fairing with a hole? Would be such a unique addition to the *ahem* mystery remake

See the source image

On 6/29/2021 at 8:30 PM, Kuiper_Belt said:

Q96zbP2.jpg

Loving the part revamp! Fantastic Job!

Your screenshots are amazing. What graphic  mods and screen resolution are you using? Thank you!

18 hours ago, Beale said:

Great shot!

no plans currently

3NEKSwD.jpeg
m5zRiE4.jpeg

Do you have a plans to add Soyuz 2 parts(RD118,117,bigger fuel tanks)

Edited by Raqnick

8 hours ago, Hatattack said:

Looks great! Would you consider making a SAF fairing with a hole? Would be such a unique addition to the *ahem* mystery remake

See the source image

I love the idea.
Maybe an SAF Soyuz fairing too? With the drag brakes and all
Doesnt need to be functional (IMO) but it would just look so cool!

20 hours ago, Beale said:

I double checked that last night, the Ablator sits nice and cozy on the way up.  I also downloaded a fresh 1.11.2 and installed JNSQ and other mods, and the problem persists.  I'm using Kopernicus 1.11.1-43

11 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Will there be two and three kerbal versions of this mysterious orb, by any chance?

two for definite, three is a strong maybe

9 hours ago, Hatattack said:

See the source image

I will definitely look into that, *could be possible*

4 hours ago, Raqnick said:

Do you have a plans to add Soyuz 2 parts(RD118,117,bigger fuel tanks)

no plans - nothing post soviet typically (with a few exceptions)

17 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

I double checked that last night, the Ablator sits nice and cozy on the way up.  I also downloaded a fresh 1.11.2 and installed JNSQ and other mods, and the problem persists.  I'm using Kopernicus 1.11.1-43

hmmm unfortunately not sure what more can be done - unless somebody else has the same issue it is hard to pin down as a Tantares specific one :/

If it can be pinned down a little more I'm happy to make any changes to fix it, but it's a bit of a mystery if only happening to one person.

32 minutes ago, Jcking said:

I wonder if SAF even supports holes like that. The other option if SAF doesn't allow that is to make the faring actual parts with a decoupler for them (like the BDB GATV fairing).

yeah definitely possible in SAF

Vostok build parts is basically unchanged, pic unrelated

5wwIevi.jpeg
vHGF4ki.jpeg

Edited by Beale