[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

2409ffeb3e.jpg

Holy kerman it's wonderful ! :D

I am still trying to retexture the soyuz, when I measure out the technique I would like to try green / white zemiorka or N-1, that could be a great alternation :) ! Trying my best with gimp.

The pavonis should be named the bumblebee.

Oh and you deserve lot of cookies for your amazing work !

Edited by spacecookie

Aaaaand Squad broke it all again.

They've reversed MaxThrust - now it's max thrust in vacuum, not the max thrust ASL.

As tedious as undoing the changes is, the new 1.0.1 thrust value is much more modder-friendly IMHO.

Does anybody know if this works with 1.0.1?

Still waiting for KSP to update for me!

So, not for a while.

Ariane Test Flight

b410e1e5f4.jpg

No SRB FX eh.

92d3a5d0b4.jpg

Victim of 10km up and 45'degree turn

a61a42a574.jpg

Engine detail

31a69e08c0.jpg

Salyut

923e3cdb7b.jpg

As tedious as undoing the changes is, the new 1.0.1 thrust value is much more modder-friendly IMHO.

Still waiting for KSP to update for me!

So, not for a while.

Ariane Test Flight

http://puu.sh/hxTMf/b410e1e5f4.jpg

No SRB FX eh.

http://puu.sh/hxTOp/92d3a5d0b4.jpg

http://puu.sh/hxTPb/a61a42a574.jpg

Engine detail

http://puu.sh/hxTMQ/31a69e08c0.jpg

Salyut

http://puu.sh/hxTNq/923e3cdb7b.jpg

Looks great!

Also, please NEVER EVER AGAIN show stock "fairings" and your beautiful mod in one picture. This explosive abomination does not and will not deserve such honor.

Looks great!

Also, please NEVER EVER AGAIN show stock "fairings" and your beautiful mod in one picture. This explosive abomination does not and will not deserve such honor.

Thanks!

Fairings: Is PF updated? I admit I haven't been keeping up with things so much!

Yes I have the horrible itch to get rid of the stock awkward fairings (I like the idea in principle, but the texture and separation is hella awkward).

Edit: I'm on 1.0.1 now, so reverting thrust values to previous levels!

Edited by Beale

Ariane Test Flight

http://puu.sh/hxTMf/b410e1e5f4.jpg

No SRB FX eh.

http://puu.sh/hxTOp/92d3a5d0b4.jpg

http://puu.sh/hxTPb/a61a42a574.jpg

Engine detail

http://puu.sh/hxTMQ/31a69e08c0.jpg

Salyut

http://puu.sh/hxTNq/923e3cdb7b.jpg

Aggggghh, as soon as I have my last final tomorrow, I'm jumping into this head-first. Can't wait for the next Tantares update! To recap, the next Tantares version will likely include:

1. Ariane Core + SRBs
  2. Salyut Revamped (details? Unclear on what-all got revamped or added.)
  3. Heatshields
  4. Slight Soyuz texture polish
  5. ATV IVA fix
  6. VA Abort motor
  7. ???

Also, will the Soyuz capsule ever require a heat-shield to survive LKO reenrty? I'm unsure if the heat shield should be a separate part or not. As most of us know, the IRL Soyuz drops the heat shield after reentry, and it'd be nice to replicate that functionality in Tantares, but I'm not if you, or other people would prefer it that way. I usually end up clipping short-fire sepratrons into the bottom of the Soyuz capsule to imitate the soft-landing jets, and that's usually authentic enough for me. Just something to consider.

Agreed on the fairings. They'll likely be good for most players, but I don't understand their texture choices. I mean, wat? Plus, you can't make smooth-curved fairings. There's just no way to make them look good, even if you an get past the confetti behavior.

Aggggghh, as soon as I have my last final tomorrow, I'm jumping into this head-first. Can't wait for the next Tantares update! To recap, the next Tantares version will likely include:

1. Ariane Core + SRBs
  2. Salyut Revamped (details? Unclear on what-all got revamped or added.)
  3. Heatshields
  4. Slight Soyuz texture polish
  5. ATV IVA fix
  6. VA Abort motor
  7. ???

Also, will the Soyuz capsule ever require a heat-shield to survive LKO reenrty? I'm unsure if the heat shield should be a separate part or not. As most of us know, the IRL Soyuz drops the heat shield after reentry, and it'd be nice to replicate that functionality in Tantares, but I'm not if you, or other people would prefer it that way. I usually end up clipping short-fire sepratrons into the bottom of the Soyuz capsule to imitate the soft-landing jets, and that's usually authentic enough for me. Just something to consider.

Agreed on the fairings. They'll likely be good for most players, but I don't understand their texture choices. I mean, wat? Plus, you can't make smooth-curved fairings. There's just no way to make them look good, even if you an get past the confetti behavior.

I hope you'll enjoy!

Next update:

1. Yes

2. Yes - replacements for all existing parts, including the MIR node and Kvant panels not yet started.

3. Already available bub!

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Maybe

A strange update is true.

Soyuz heatshields: All capsules with shields will stay as they are currently. I know a separate heatshield is good for accuracy, but I'm not a fan of very thin parts (see Soyuz parachute!).

As most of us know, the IRL Soyuz drops the heat shield after reentry, and it'd be nice to replicate that functionality in Tantares, but I'm not if you, or other people would prefer it that way.

Would be a nice touch, although this would somewhat clog the part list.

Tantares 25 & TantaresLV 10

• New Salyut artwork (Aside from a couple of parts).
  • Fixed thrust values for 1.0.1.

Somewhat premature for the Salyut stuff, but they work fine AFAICS, and the new thrust (or old thrust) values are urgent to get fixed.

e52c85db33.jpg

Also, I think that V-2 needs a major overhaul. Looks like fins just doesn't work as fins - you'll probably have to make them as separate parts and add some lift rating to them in order to work with new aero.

That would make sense, BTW - we can get a large version of a new stock fin this way.

EDIT

Come to think of it, V-2 could be remade as a sounding rocket.

- Fuel tank: the same

- Engine: the same minus fins, also maybe less thrust

- Fins

- Probe nosecone is split to three parts:

1) Parachute on the top

2) Probe core itself

3) Service bay like the stock, with slide door to access the interior (just like the one on TKS). Place your experiments here. No heatshield or large heat resistance.

Oh, and some sort of decoupler.

All in all, it would be a great rocket to get some initial science around KSC using both stock and mod science parts.

Edited by biohazard15

Thank you very much Beale :) Now I can return to some serious business I left out with the 0.90.. It's time to erect a new space station !

Just a small edit, Is the green LK available yet ? :)

Edited by spacecookie

Also, I think that V-2 needs a major overhaul. Looks like fins just doesn't work as fins - you'll probably have to make them as separate parts and add some lift rating to them in order to work with new aero.

That would make sense, BTW - we can get a large version of a new stock fin this way.

EDIT

- Fins

1) Parachute on the top

2) Probe core itself

3) Service bay like the stock, with slide door to access the interior (just like the one on TKS). Place your experiments here. No heatshield or large heat resistance.

All in all, it would be a great rocket to get some initial science around KSC using both stock and mod science parts.

Still trying to get my head around some of the new aerodynamics.

Not at least the main launchers (Ariane flipped on my low in atmosphere), meaning the V2 will be neglected.

That said:

I do like these ideas, especially the service bay now!

And parachute.

Tonnerre engine, Glace LFO tank, Nez aero cone, Poincon (Sorry no accent characters allowed) SRB, everything is French...

6ef36fdfb2.jpg

c04b8aaec4.jpg

f7687fc235.jpg

a093217dd1.jpg

Thank you very much Beale :) Now I can return to some serious business I left out with the 0.90.. It's time to erect a new space station !

Just a small edit, Is the green LK available yet ? :)

Thanks!

Green LK, not yet I'm afraid, but of course DDS will now make things easier, once all the problems of 1.0 are gone and the dust settles.

Edited by Beale

EDIT

- Fins

1) Parachute on the top

2) Probe core itself

I think some form of heat resistance would be necessary because in order to go suborbital you could find yourself taking very steep ascent and descent angles. also the parachute should either go on the bottom segment or take some sort of radial form because the whole assembly will want to fall nose first and we can't expect to get away with high G parachute whips forever.

On the subject of the V2 has scaling the V2 down to .9375m diameter ever been considered? Since TKS makes that size a thing we might as well have more that fits the size. Also at the reduced scale the engine could be buffed isp wise to have the performance that the V2 is supposed to have in terms of feats despite the drop in size and incidentally become more than just a crude engine that you use early game and never again after (and if the fins get made as a separate part the V2 could become a rather stylish retro-scifi LFO booster or wing tip nacelle assuming the config is changed to allow the V2 tank to be radially attached)

Yikes, can't seem to reply fast enough!

Shaping up to be a great update! When you revamp the Mir node, it'd be nice to get something rounder around the edges. Ideally, it'd be really nice to get a node that supports .625 and 1.25m docking nodes. The current six-way node looks a bit smaller than I feel like it should. Not quite sure how to describe it. The proper scaling of KSP parts is always a tough thing.

Speaking of which, I agree with some opinions on the V2. I think it could be smaller. The IRL V2 was about 14m tall, and the Soyuz is around 45m or so. I think it'd make a neat sounding rocket if it had a small equipment bay with high crash tolerance and a drogue perhaps.

Just reporting a little issue I am having with your station hub where the texture is very low in comparison to other parts, I guess this part's texture is affiliate with salyuts, is this an issue caused by the texture revamp, or just me missing a file ?

QRCAoRz.png

Most of the parts can be attached to the hub, but some randomly may not.

Just reporting a little issue I am having with your station hub where the texture is very low in comparison to other parts, I guess this part's texture is affiliate with salyuts, is this an issue caused by the texture revamp, or just me missing a file ?

http://i.imgur.com/QRCAoRz.png

That blurry smudge! It's too ugly to look at! It's almost as ugly as the stock fairings and heatshields.

Not to derail the thread, but it's been a while since I last checked out KSP mods and I have to say that you've got some impressive work. I remember when I first saw your first couple of mods and have yet to be disappointed, especially now that I've seen all your work since then. Keep it up!

I just took a fast look on 25.1 release for Tantares...

... happily noticed some change at parachutes (... a previous Spica/Gemini-like launch endend so bad 'cuz parachute was unable to slow down past 40m/s)

Aside from that... it was just an edited change I'm making, for each release on my end: I find the Soyuz lanuncher a bit too much fueled.

When fully loaded with a Tantares-Soyuz, I always end in orbit using only the boosters+central core, NEVER burning at all the upper stage, that ends almost unused even if i need to rendevouz with an hi-altitude orbiting ship/station (+400km)...

... practically, my Soyuz are reall some sort of "space tanker" to refuel other ships, as I just use some RCS just during docking...

... or they have plenty of fuel for Mun fly-by/orbit...

... a bit too much, not using the LOK-analogue service module, neither a Proton/N1 rocket :P

(By the way: great work as always on updateds... :D)

I love these parts - they improve the game so much.

I am having a significant problem though. Most of the Tantares capsules aren't working properly - if you have Kerbals in them, they don't appear in the window view bottom right (the EVA/IVA view bit).

Is this known? Means I can't get Kerbals out once they're in. I've done this on a clean install with only Tantares and Tantares LV, on Win 8.1.

Specifically, the capsules are:

TK-DC03A

Almach Ballistic

V-C05 Operations Block

V-C2 Operations Block

V-C3 Operations Block

Spectre Crew Capsule

Maybe others too, haven't checked. Is this just because there's no IVA view, or by design (as in, there's no airlock)?

you can click on the hatch to eva or transfer kernels :)

Its not a bug..most of the IVA's aren't set up for 1.0.x yet I believe

I'm pretty sure Beale has it on his list somewhere..but at the moment its a pretty long list

On the subject of the V2 has scaling the V2 down to .9375m diameter ever been considered? Since TKS makes that size a thing we might as well have more that fits the size. Also at the reduced scale the engine could be buffed isp wise to have the performance that the V2 is supposed to have in terms of feats despite the drop in size and incidentally become more than just a crude engine that you use early game and never again after (and if the fins get made as a separate part the V2 could become a rather stylish retro-scifi LFO booster or wing tip nacelle assuming the config is changed to allow the V2 tank to be radially attached)

A 0.9375m, or perhaps even 0.625m diameter should be done yeah. You're right. :)

As for the engine, I don't know, I'm not against engines being objectively worse or better than other engines, but past early game it does become usless.

http://i.imgur.com/QRCAoRz.png

It's looking for a texture which doesn't exist anymore, not finding it, it reverts to its fallback 32x32 texture.

It'll get revamped soon! I'll have to say it'll be blurry for a while.

The node connections, yeah I noticed this, will try fix soon :)

Not to derail the thread, but it's been a while since I last checked out KSP mods and I have to say that you've got some impressive work. I remember when I first saw your first couple of mods and have yet to be disappointed, especially now that I've seen all your work since then. Keep it up!

I recognize the name, there's that :)

Many thanks!

The amount and quality of your work is amazing. Bravo!

Thank you! :)

I just took a fast look on 25.1 release for Tantares...

... happily noticed some change at parachutes (... a previous Spica/Gemini-like launch endend so bad 'cuz parachute was unable to slow down past 40m/s)

Aside from that... it was just an edited change I'm making, for each release on my end: I find the Soyuz lanuncher a bit too much fueled.

When fully loaded with a Tantares-Soyuz, I always end in orbit using only the boosters+central core, NEVER burning at all the upper stage, that ends almost unused even if i need to rendevouz with an hi-altitude orbiting ship/station (+400km)...

... practically, my Soyuz are reall some sort of "space tanker" to refuel other ships, as I just use some RCS just during docking...

... or they have plenty of fuel for Mun fly-by/orbit...

... a bit too much, not using the LOK-analogue service module, neither a Proton/N1 rocket :P

(By the way: great work as always on updateds... :D)

Balancing will be tricky (Especially as Squad are still actively tweaking things it seems).

But, thanks for the input, the launchers are currently overpowered.

I love these parts - they improve the game so much.

I am having a significant problem though. Most of the Tantares capsules aren't working properly - if you have Kerbals in them, they don't appear in the window view bottom right (the EVA/IVA view bit).

Is this known? Means I can't get Kerbals out once they're in. I've done this on a clean install with only Tantares and Tantares LV, on Win 8.1.

Specifically, the capsules are:

TK-DC03A

Almach Ballistic

V-C05 Operations Block

V-C2 Operations Block

V-C3 Operations Block

Spectre Crew Capsule

Maybe others too, haven't checked. Is this just because there's no IVA view, or by design (as in, there's no airlock)?

Welcome to the forums!

Some IVAs are missing, I'm making them for every part, but you will appreciate they take a while :)

For now, you can click on the hatch to EVA.

But, really, did you wait three years to make a single post? :P

2fb557773a.png

Edited by Beale

A 0.9375m, or perhaps even 0.625m diameter should be done yeah. You're right. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Some IVAs are missing, I'm making them for every part, but you will appreciate they take a while :)

For now, you can click on the hatch to EVA.

But, really, did you wait three years to make a single post? :P

http://puu.sh/hyGvU/2fb557773a.png

Ironically, I remembered you could click on hatches just after I posted...

And yes, I guess I did... I am the master lurker!