[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

oh, uh, I forgot to mention it earlier, and don't know if you've since fixed it, but the second LIBRA antenna (the one with the star on) has no ModuleDataTransmitter, which means it doesn't actually work as an antenna. just though you ought to know. (I fixed it in my own game, but don't know what you'd do for power.)

18 hours ago, Legcutter said:

I'd vote for both too.
Of course, it means double the work, but alongside with that - double the variety. These nice screenshots by @Mechtech above show us that not only the Mir station can be built with Tantares parts.

3 hours ago, Mechtech said:

well, speaking as someone who likes finding creative uses for parts;

tumblr_mkws36UgVu1ry10fwo1_400.gif

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It depends on how smartly you can use the textures/UVs. You might be able to do both for maybe only 20% more work. The question is, what purpose does the realistic one serve..?

Thanks for the feedback.

The realistic version would basically be... structural? I don't know really.

2 hours ago, Mechtech said:

oh, uh, I forgot to mention it earlier, and don't know if you've since fixed it, but the second LIBRA antenna (the one with the star on) has no ModuleDataTransmitter, which means it doesn't actually work as an antenna. just though you ought to know. (I fixed it in my own game, but don't know what you'd do for power.)

Thanks, fixed.

single-kerbal pod for Early Fun.

also, remember that Munar station I mentioned a few posts ago?

66UM6e9.png

core module- basically just a can with docking-ports, and some basic systems.

ZNGu0DO.png

Now we're getting somewhere! a Koyuz-IIL (Longranged variant with droptanks) delivers the station's lab module and a second scientist.

wHGC0kz.png

finally, a second Koyuz-IIL delivers a Science module and an Engineer to man the station's core module, completing Phase I.

On 3/10/2017 at 3:55 PM, Legcutter said:

Kurs docking system has a target detection range up to 400 km in narrow 7 degree sector in front of the ship, but usually ISS is locked at 180-200 km. Spherical detection radius is 50 km in case the spaceships were not aligned properly.

I can't really get what's the meaning of "parking", but after locking on target the Soyuz ship is usually closing up to ISS until the distance reaches 400 meters, then performs a fly-around near the station to align with a targeted docking port and then the final closing up is done.

Thank you for the explanation, with “parking” I meant at what distance it performed the fly-around. Or at least so I would have you believe. Truth be told, I was wrong in thinking it “parked” anywhere, doesn’t make any sense as you rightfully point out.

For people that play with both the old (pre-GitHub) and new version of Tantares I've created a ModuleManager patch that adds some text to the old parts. The text reads "Part of old Tantares". This is to help you select the newer part in case of duplicate parts, or if you want to transition to only using the newer parts.

This also includes a patch that puts all the old files in the correct categories and some early TAC LS support.

Tantares Patches 1.1.4

• Added text to indicate parts of old Tantares
  • Renamed version file from TantaresCategories to TantaresPatches
  • Optimised Module Manager queries for some category patches
  • GitHub version number now aligns with KSP-AVC version number

Get Tantares Patches 1.1.4 on GitHub.

Suggestions for a better "indication" text are welcome :).

Edited by Moiety
Updated the patch while you were away.

5 minutes ago, Moiety said:

For people that play with both the old (pre-GitHub) and new version of Tantares I've created a ModuleManager patch that adds some text to the old parts. The text reads "Part of old Tantares". This is to help you select the newer part in case of duplicate parts, or if you want to transition to only using the newer parts.

This also includes a patch that puts all the old files in the correct categories and some early TAC LS support.

Tantares Patches 1.1.3

• Added text to indicate parts of old Tantares
  • Renamed version file from TantaresCategories to TantaresPatches

Get Tantares Patches 1.1.3 on GitHub.

Suggestions for a better "indication" text are welcome :).

Has this been tested? Are there any known bugs? Great idea though! :D

13 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Has this been tested? Are there any known bugs? Great idea though! :D

I tested it myself if that is any consolation :P. There is one known bug that I'm working on. Because @Beale used different authors for some parts they're not picked up by my ModuleManager query. The only part affected is one engine, but that should be fixed as soon as I get a reply in the MM topic.

For what it's worth, the way it works is it selects all parts authored by Tantares that end in *_A through *_G, *_Y & *_Z, and some manually listed parts. This does mean that as soon as Beale adds a new part that meets those requirements it'll get tagged as old. I'm keeping a close eye on Tantares development so will make necessary changes if it comes to that. The new version currently only has parts ending in *_1, *_2, *_N, *_O, and *_P.

You can see the MM query here: Old.cfg on GitHub.

Note: I have "fixed" this in Tantares Patches 1.1.4 by duplicating the query with Beale as author instead of Tantares. Will update when I figure out how to do it with one query.

Edited by Moiety

20 hours ago, Moiety said:

I tested it myself if that is any consolation :P. There is one known bug that I'm working on. Because @Beale used different authors for some parts they're not picked up by my ModuleManager query. The only part affected is one engine, but that should be fixed as soon as I get a reply in the MM topic.

For what it's worth, the way it works is it selects all parts authored by Tantares that end in *_A through *_G, *_Y & *_Z, and some manually listed parts. This does mean that as soon as Beale adds a new part that meets those requirements it'll get tagged as old. I'm keeping a close eye on Tantares development so will make necessary changes if it comes to that. The new version currently only has parts ending in *_1, *_2, *_N, *_O, and *_P.

You can see the MM query here: Old.cfg on GitHub.

Note: I have "fixed" this in Tantares Patches 1.1.4 by duplicating the query with Beale as author instead of Tantares. Will update when I figure out how to do it with one query.

Stunning work Mr. Moiety! 
I had no idea of the different author names, whoops :blush:

On part suffixes:

• No pattern to _1, _2, _3 etc, just whatever works best in the context.
  •  _N, _O, _P, etc - I have used these on generic parts to make clear the size. Starting with N at 0.625 and so forth

7 minutes ago, kopapaka said:

minimus0.jpg?ver=0

Awesome!

It reminds me of the early lunar lander concepts:

lktksles.jpg

21 hours ago, Mechtech said:

single-kerbal pod for Early Fun.

also, remember that Munar station I mentioned a few posts ago?

core module- basically just a can with docking-ports, and some basic systems.

Now we're getting somewhere! a Koyuz-IIL (Longranged variant with droptanks) delivers the station's lab module and a second scientist.

wHGC0kz.png

finally, a second Koyuz-IIL delivers a Science module and an Engineer to man the station's core module, completing Phase I.

The endless fun of a lunar station! Nice work with the Kvant-1 + radiators :) 

New node part for Zarya / Kristall

hz2e5Z0.png
DfelkDy.jpg
Zarya-module.jpg

12 minutes ago, Beale said:

Github

Zarya Node.

j4IajAm.png

Somebody forgot to bring a wrench :wink:.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Stunning work Mr. Moiety! 
I had no idea of the different author names, whoops :blush:

On part suffixes:

• No pattern to _1, _2, _3 etc, just whatever works best in the context.
  •  _N, _O, _P, etc - I have used these on generic parts to make clear the size. Starting with N at 0.625 and so forth

Thank you very much Mr. Beale :blush:. The names aren't really a problem, hopefully I can still work it into one query at some point. And that additional information is helpful. Hope to get some work done on TAC LS support this weekend.

Expedition 1 to Kerbinium-M

A quick snapshot of some career fun!

30Li2hB.png The launch was a little boring.
zbHTKdF.png Also was the docking.
MfMx4FE.png No time to rest, there was work to be done.
kBsuP4h.png Sidmun draws the short-straw and begins a very lengthy EVA.
fBtOjux.png First task of the day, deploy the stuck solar panel. 
4DP0vXh.png Second task? what else? Sidmun begins construction of a VDU truss.
r0i5pu9.png It's been six hours already!
udkP83n.png The thruster in place and piped-in - finally the station can orient itself correctly.
AqRytAu.png Task number three! The mid-section RCS thrusters were less useful than Sidmun's engineering degree - they had to go!
9sxZQM7.png "What's kessler syndrome btw?"
BrGJzSx.png 
For the fourth and final task, the visiting Tantares would have to shift its butt.
f1ebhoY.png How much RCS was wasted for this?
htZVf9G.png The core module's main engines were blocked for weeks by the arrival of the node module. Sidmun relocates them.
nqmSthz.png "Where did you put them?! Are you trying to kill us all?!" - The station completes a 10m/s burn to circularize.
VaBEsP6.jpg Kerbinium-M safe in its new fine form... Time for some science.
infinite_scroll.gif

Edited by Beale

Github

@steedcrugeon Many thanks to - docking ports are now restricted to 45° 

Interested to find feedback on this, too wide an angle? Too narrow? 
Some other angles that might work

• 45° 
  • 22.5° 
  • 30° 
  • 60° 
  • 90° 
  • No restrictions?

It makes things a lot easier for station building, as you can "soft-dock" first, then fix your alignment :) 

7PxwnWU.png

Edited by Beale

10 minutes ago, Moiety said:

What does this mean exactly?

The docking ports will try and snap to 45 degree increments, meaning when you dock two things together they'll align to eachother, rather than being able to dock at any old angle. Makes station assembly in particular much easier.

9 minutes ago, Moiety said:

What does this mean exactly?

The docking ports will attract each other, but will not connect at angles not in 45 degree increments.

So you are pulled in, but then, nothings happening? You are in the wrong angle that's why - so hit the Q & E keys to rotate into a correct rotation.

Clumsy explanation, does that make sense?

5 hours ago, Beale said:

The endless fun of a lunar station! Nice work with the Kvant-1 + radiators :)

thanks! I hit on that look pretty early as a way to round out the module without looking bad, suffering Krakens, or other oddness- and it's useful, since I use OPM and having a lab that I can stick a Nuke Reactor on top of for outsystem work is hilariously useful.

... it also looks like the sort of thing the soviet and later Russian space program would whip up, they've always had something of a habit of just making minor alterations to existing stuff wherever possible.

honestly, at some point someone needs to do a heat realism mod so that stuff like space stations need at least SOME radiators to shed waste heat.

unless there's already one out there? I may not use LS mods (with how many mods I have finding one that is both useable and co-operative with all my other mods is... problematic.) but I do like some realism widgets. I'd been using FAR until the stock areo model got updated, as an example- just little things, that add to the 'feel' without massively upping the difficulty.

anyhow, I think it's time to move Kovidr into Phase II.

Kovidr is essentially serving as my Kerbal's 'proof-of-concept' testing station. phase II involves getting an expanded crew quarters, a prototype nuke reactor, and the 'cooperation' module, which mounts a number of regular docking ports. I envisioned Kovidr as being 'The ISS, only based on MIR instead of built whole-cloth.' or, perhaps, 'the ISS as built in a world where the USSR continued to dominate the space-race rather than flagging near the finish line.'

though I generally prefer higher orbits- Kovidr sits at about 250km, though its orbit is slightly eccentric, thanks to docking errors ('oops I forgot to turn the engine off') and the loss of communication with the core module when the included antenna broke- since it was completely unmanned at the time, I had to complete its final circularization manually, and, well, there's a reason I tend to leave piloting to the computer. I'm a decent enough hand to not crash (much) but precise I am not. it didn't help that ZAVA (the automated orbital tug used for initially positioning Kovidr's core module) didn't exactly have a huge margin for error.

honestly, for all that it's in Munar orbit, the KMLS station was far simpler to construct. if only because I had decent computer guidance and larger lifters. Kovidr had to make do with a mostly 1.5m launcher since I didn't have fairings or engines in 2.5m when it launched, while all of KMLS launched with Koyuz-IILs on an N-1 stack for Munar insertion. even KORVIS had a 2.5m launch vehicle thanks to a ground test of the SEP finally paying off.

honestly, I'm gearing up to start a permanent ground base on Minmus- my plan is to eventually build a station there locally as a sort of 'test case' for a manned base on Duna. using OPM without OPM's antenna configs and with the KSC antennas set up to barely cover Kerbin's SoI is a whole new kind of challenge, honestly. I've taken to making any automated probes capable of acting as relays. I had a very amusing moment when KMLS did a data-dump and actually bounced it to the Sabercat lander I had parked at the Mun's highest point (near the south pole, on this save) since it had one of Akron's big Torekka dishes on it.