[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

All Rights Reserved

Tantares (For Kerbal SpaceProgram 1.12.X)

t6wBM6y.png?1gNY1OqD.png?1

Description

Tantares is four mods! All of them standalone, and with minimal dependencies:

• Tantares: Soviet crewed spacecraft, space station, and LEO spacecraft *Requires B9PartSwitch
  • TantaresLV: Soviet launch vehicles and upper stages *Requires B9PartSwitch
  • TantaresSP: Soviet interplanetary probes *Requires B9PartSwitch
  • TantaresSAF: Soviet Aerodynamic Fairings *Requires Simple Adjustable Fairings, B9PartSwitch

The parts are made with the "LEGO" frame of mind - they fit together to make certain craft, but are flexible and generic enough to be used in many creative ways, just like vanilla KSP parts.
If you're using TantaresSP, I highly recommend using one of my other mods, Neptune Camera, which adds camera functionality to probes.

Screenshots TantaresLV

Spoiler

Kosmos 2I, Kosmos 3M, Soyuz, Zenit, Tsyklon.

l2Qa9Np.jpgS2Qz490.jpgWFwBFRv.jpgE7Xh1OG.jpegDBkchqy.jpeg

Proton, Energia-M, Energia, Energia-Buran, N1.
1kmhsUF.jpegda0Gvxo.jpegTBhRgX6.jpegiaoFZwE.jpgFzrkYeZ.jpeg

Briz-M, Briz-KM, Blok-D, Fregat.
AKEEUw6.jpgKbFoLn6.jpg9da5hXr.jpg

Screenshots Tantares

Spoiler

Polyus, Meteor, Progress (new and old), Pirs/Poisk, Rassvet, Mir Docking Module

75zSmmZ.jpgCcNmfde.jpegS83E396.jpegdYLvqVl.jpeg
bklcRcg.jpgJC1pq3p.jpgA06ZD37.jpg

Vostok, Soyuz (Many versions), LOK. (White Soyuz provided by Zarbon44).

qvGGkc9.jpegTz0SCAk.jpgdyKtCEh.jpgQuq6lh2.pngyg8732F.pngLIsnVOM.pngdTYxcfG.png

ASTP Soyuz, LK Lander, LK-700 lander, TKS, LK-1.
cza0oL8.jpgI5JektC.jpg9665suw.jpgRip4HlT.jpgsJeNRU1.jpeg

Mir, Almaz, Salyut 1, Salyut 7, Salyut 6, Mir Complex.
kOUfoJz.jpegNuCi4cA.jpg8WORUNP.jpg
uRUHrG3.jpgMLu654Q.jpg
9u9E8Q2.jpeg

Sokol flight suit (Provided by Benjee10), Orlan EVA suit.

deoocxK.jpgqOqokaC.jpg

Screenshots TantaresSP

Spoiler

• Sputnik,
  • Luna 2,
  • Luna 3,
  • Venera 1,
  • Venera 9,
  • Venera 9 Lander,
  • Fobos 2,
  • Lunokhod 2,
  • Luna 16

1AROHMm.jpegQ2BZR6s.jpegtQzi5jk.jpeg
uK3XZn4.jpegYULhRbB.jpgeiNd3W7.jpg
P1pYWRi.jpeg
AFQZx40.jpegPxRa5UV.jpg

unknown.png?width=1440&height=363

Screenshots TantaresSAF

Spoiler

Progress, Polyus, Zenit

DOJXViv.jpegiFbOGu3.jpegsPP9i7D.jpeg

Download Links

You need B9 Part Switch for all Tantares mods.

B9 Part Switch

You can get Tantares on both GitHub, Spacedock, and CKAN.
Craft files are included in Tantares and TantaresSP.

Tantares - GitHub
(Earth Orbit Spacecraft)

TantaresLV - GitHub
(Launch Vehicles and Upper Stages)

TantaresSP - GitHub
(Interplanetary Space Probes)

TantaresSAF - GitHub
(Simple Adjustable Fairings)

Updating? Keep in  mind that parts are sometimes deprecated (removed) when moving to newer versions of the mod.
Though they will still load on existing crafts for at least one version after they are deprecated, they will not appear in the VAB and will not have textures.

Frequently Asked Questions

What's the situation with IVAs?
Crewed capsules will get IVAs, unfortunately I just don't have the time to do IVAs for the large station parts.

What's the balancing like?
Parts are balanced against vanilla KSP parts to not be intentionally uselesss, this means the launch vehicles with accurate to RL proportions might seem pretty powerful, a Soyuz putting 14 tons into LKO, etc. Really the best solution for this is to use a 2.5x~ system rescale, JNSQ, or just enjoy the big payloads.

I only want one thing, not the whole mod, can I prune it?
Yes, when placed inside the GameData folder, open the Tantares (or other mod) folder, and within the parts subfolder, delete the spacecraft you don't want parts for.
For example, if you don't want a Soyuz, delete the folder SOYUZ from Tantares/parts.

Compatibility

Tantares, TantaresLV, and TantaresSP have minimal dependences, but have patches to kOS compatibility.

The parts in Tantares are balanced against the stock game parts. This might leave rockets feeling a bit overpowered in the vanilla KSP system.
Playing in a rescaled solar system 2 to 3 times larger will make them feel much more true to real life.

TantaresSAF requires Simple Adjustable Fairings.

If you're using TantaresSP, one of my other mods, Neptune Camera, will add extra functionality to the camera parts.

Recolours and Extras

Special thanks to everyone who has contributed and helped out with this!

Friznit's Tantares Wiki (Additional Craft Files)

Roger's Methalox patch.

Well's IVA patch.

Credits and Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has helped! Special thanks for:

@Zorg - Waterfall Development
@benjee10

• Sokol Flight Suit
  • SSVP Docking Port Male
  • SSVP Docking Port Female
  • Texturing and design assistance.

@Well

• IVA Props
  • Internal IVA design.
  • Feedback and assistance.

@Zarbon44 - 7K Soyuz texture, and beautiful screenshots!

Thanks to the below for some great screenshots in usage:

@EM23

Edited by Beale
Thread of the month!

All of it looks awesome; textures and models are both high quality. That command module on the Fuji/Polaris does strike me as a little small though. I can't really imagine 3 kerbals fitting in there just based on its limited volume. I don't want to come across as rude or demanding; I just wanted to give you some feedback.

All of it looks awesome; textures and models are both high quality. That command module on the Fuji/Polaris does strike me as a little small though. I can't really imagine 3 kerbals fitting in there just based on its limited volume. I don't want to come across as rude or demanding; I just wanted to give you some feedback.

By no means! I like any feedback.

It is based off this concept:

220px-Fuji_spacecraft_standard_system.jpg

The real one seems very flat and small and seated a crew of three, but that would be four metres rather than the Kerbal one's two. I think you are right and I am probably having it only a two-Kerman capsule.

With RasterPropMonitor these would be _awesome

I'd be interested in doing an optional version of IVAs with it, but I don't really know where to begin with it :( .

Edited by Beale

uhh i seem to have a problem with the mun base...

problem

Hi!

It looks like environmental scatter is random between games? (Or maybe you don't have it turned on?) That means the housing that was on the rock is now floating in your game.

I would just scrap the current buildings and place your own (CTRL+K - FYI) :) . For setting the launchpad to work correctly, refer to the KerbTown dev thread.

Hey Beale, are you planning to cooporate with orionkermin?

Because his homegrown rockets also some kickass soyuz parts, only diference is that your parts looks more "Soviet like".

He can be found here:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60974-23-Feb-12-HGR-New-spherical-pod-available

Those are some beautiful parts, (makes me want to re-do mine from scratch :D) I hadn't seen them before. But, sadly, I really doubt I would have the free time to work on any kind of cooperation :( . It looks like the "Soy-Juice" in that pack is a new size category? Hopefully that keeps things different enough between these mods.

This is awesome stuff! Thanks!

And, as awesome as RPM is, I like that there's a screen-free IVA, since I plan to use this stuff for RftS.

Quick question: what's the license on these parts?

Added the same one as near future propulsion, hope it's okay is I don't really understand how they work.

Nice but how do you have something sitting on that rock in the random screens section?

Kerbtown!

Also, better make subassemblies instead of crafts.

Maybe soon. Personally I play with the crafts like this and the launchers are the sub-assemblies. The root part on the Libra at least is the docking port, so that should be use-able.

Edited by Beale

Beale: basically, whatever license you select is ok. The main point is, a license lets you control what happens to your work.

If you don't want anyone doing anything, or want full control, you can use "all rights reserved."

If you don't mind people using your work as a basis, as long as they give credit and release their own derivatives under an equally-open license, you can do the common CC-BY-SA license. BY means any rereleases and derivative work must credit you; SA means share-alike: any of those must retain the same "give credit to original author, allow derivative works" stipulations.

If you further don't want people to make money from your work, you can add "non-commerical" (the CC-BY-NC-SA license).

Beale: basically, whatever license you select is ok. The main point is, a license lets you control what happens to your work.

If you don't want anyone doing anything, or want full control, you can use "all rights reserved."

If you don't mind people using your work as a basis, as long as they give credit and release their own derivatives under an equally-open license, you can do the common CC-BY-SA license. BY means any rereleases and derivative work must credit you; SA means share-alike: any of those must retain the same "give credit to original author, allow derivative works" stipulations.

If you further don't want people to make money from your work, you can add "non-commerical" (the CC-BY-NC-SA license).

Hey, a great thanks for this, very helpful. From reading this I think I'll stick with the current licence :) .

why is there no monoprop in the service stage

I'd prefer it, but there is a current bug with the game for parts with more than two resources. There are some fixes, but I don't want to add dependencies for using this mod.

Edited by Beale

I'd prefer it, ma c'e a current bug with the game for parts with more than two resources. There are some fixes, but I don't want to add dependencies for using this mod.

If you mean "exploding" icons in SPH\VAB, look at fix from NovaPunch (2.5m lander tank and service modules). Basically, you need to add a dummy RCS thruster.

The issue is that any part with

>2 RESOURCEs

0 MODULEs

will have that bug. The solution is to add a dummy module (I prefer ModuleSAS), or use ModuleFixer (which adds a real dummy [does NOTHING] module).

I see!

This has fixed it, thanks!

The new version is up! :)

742b2aa81f.jpg

I have totally re-done all the models and textures. Including a few more "stock" texture elements I think they're looking the real deal now.

Balancing might still be off, I think they should both still be capable of their intended use.

As always, feedback is very helpful, especially for balance (which I'm terrible at)!

Thanks for all the support!

c0bf7cc887.jpg

2cd41dcee2.jpg

I think next I'll work on some alternate colour schemes.

Edited by Beale