[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

41 minutes ago, Hay said:

Why on earth would you need that much CPU power

Vaporwave and Memes.

Sofora Truss 

Would a single deployable part, or a set of generic truss parts be prefered?

If you do not know, this module attached to the Kvant module and provided Roll control at the top of a large mast.

2shSghI.png

Here's some generic ideas and how they would attach to Kvant:

V5NrWSB.png

3 minutes ago, Moiety said:

When folded, would it be possible to launch the module with it without having a 4m ⨉ 4m fairing? If so, I’d prefer that as I play without KIS.

Do you mean the single deploy-able part or the generic part sets? I have a few ideas for how those without KIS can get something workable. And how the fairings will set up.

(Though I'd still say KIS makes everything just a little more enjoyable for space stations).

Edited by Beale

2 minutes ago, Moiety said:

Maybe I should just install KIS….

So, this would be separate parts that you can 'dock' together?

It's a very nice and lightweight mod :) 
Since so much of MIR construction is tied to EVAs, it's a lot of fun (And you can launch Kvant without the solar panels, attach later).

But yes, that is right - I think like this:

1. Launch Kvant with only the cube surface mount and docking port (see below).
  2. Launch the remaining truss parts and construct with some kind of tug (you can launch all 4x truss parts in a long fairing, or chain the cube docking ports to slowly build it).

V5NrWSB.png

Just now, captainradish said:

Question: I've been a bit out of the loop and just recently re-downloaded Tantares. Is there supposed to be a bunch of equipment missing? I miss my Vostok.

I'm re-doing everything so there is not much right now (if you are using the full release only).

Vostok will be revisited at some point in future, but all the other parts are much more interesting.

Just now, Beale said:

I'm re-doing everything so there is not much right now (if you are using the full release only).

Vostok will be revisited at some point in future, but all the other parts are much more interesting.

Ok, that's fair. The only issue is that you are the ONLY person who has a decent Vostok.

Can you run the new version overtop of the old? I'm trying that now and so far haven't seen anything wrong.

12 minutes ago, Beale said:

I just had my very own Progress - Spektr incident, an accident of losing comms after burning towards the station :D 

8NiaKim.jpg

Ha, I had something similar when I did Venera 7. Everything went pretty smooth until the landing, one of the legs broke and the craft toppled on its side. After I read up on the mission afterwards I learned that the real Venera 7 also fell over :P.

Edited by Moiety
Typo

4 minutes ago, captainradish said:

Ok, that's fair. The only issue is that you are the ONLY person who has a decent Vostok.

Can you run the new version overtop of the old? I'm trying that now and so far haven't seen anything wrong.

Yep, they should work fine side-by-side (different naming scheme).

4 minutes ago, captainradish said:

That is indeed possible, I also do this. If you want you can use this patch to fix the categories for the previous version.

Ok, no problems putting the two together and saving my sanity, but Beale, dude, you're STILL putting the R-7 rocket way too far along the tech tree! With Bluedog's parts, I'm unlocking the Gemini before unlocking the R-7. How can I lead the KSSP into space and beat the decadent westerners without my R-7?

In all seriousness, I do sincerely feel it's too far along the tech tree. I'm sure you have a good reason to have it as far along as you do, but I always have to move it at least to Advanced Rocketry. I honestly have a hard time launching my sputnik and vostok without the R-7.

Edited by captainradish

3 hours ago, captainradish said:

Ok, no problems putting the two together and saving my sanity, but Beale, dude, you're STILL putting the R-7 rocket way too far along the tech tree! With Bluedog's parts, I'm unlocking the Gemini before unlocking the R-7. How can I lead the KSSP into space and beat the decadent westerners without my R-7?

In all seriousness, I do sincerely feel it's too far along the tech tree. I'm sure you have a good reason to have it as far along as you do, but I always have to move it at least to Advanced Rocketry. I honestly have a hard time launching my sputnik and vostok without the R-7.

Well, there *is* a tech tree mod that is for just that purpose! CWP (Cold War Progression) is designed to let you live out the space race in KSP in semi-realistic detail! And it's fully compatible with BDB, Tantares, and other mods!

*shameless self-plug complete, we now return to your regularly schedualed programming*

(Also, @Beale gave me permission to clog up his thread advertise for testers here before, so I figured he'd be OK with it, but if he isn't I'll remove it)

5 hours ago, captainradish said:

If you're judicious about it. Then the Vostok is most certainly alive and well.

L6vH5RN.png

10 hours ago, Beale said:

Would a single deployable part, or a set of generic truss parts be prefered?

Would a single deployable part allow us to attach things like this when deployed?
fr_3.jpg

39b6e28bf517.jpg

If no - I vote for a set of generic truss parts)

5 hours ago, Legcutter said:

Would a single deployable part allow us to attach things like this when deployed?
fr_3.jpg

39b6e28bf517.jpg

If no - I vote for a set of generic truss parts)

What's the reflector experiment? It looks cool.

Generic truss parts (x4) 1.925m long each.

A7HfPYw.png
k5kxi0V.png

25 minutes ago, hraban said:

Hi Beale, what you think about a more realistic view of the truss parts?

RYO5It1.png

It's very nice, but vertex density too high compared to other parts. (Size only .3125m) :) 

B2kEnRf.png

Edited by Beale