[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

1 hour ago, DiscoSlelge said:

I love the second stage engine looks, great adding for LV ! :)

Many thanks!

31 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

@Beale is there a recommended combination of parts for the new launcher, when one wants to put together and launch a small satellite?

Just search "Kosmos" or "CLV" in the VAB search, all the parts will appear there.

27 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@Beale In what form? There are no parts for them...

Zarya & Nauka are FGB modules, a lot of parts for them.
Zvezda is the same as the MIR core, also have parts for that.

15 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

let me rephrase...what combination of the parts would make a decent launcher? I can find the parts just fine..just cant get a booster worth anything put together...

Sorry I don't really understand,

Something like this is typical:

vqec7MZ.png

Edited by Beale

10 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

barely managed to get a heavily stripped down satellite into orbit. then again the sole specific purpose is as a comm relay.

Are you playing 2.5x? I am wondering how big this comm satellite is! :D

bWHX0zO.jpg

I dont know what you mean by 2.5 x....

utilizing parts from both bluedog design bureau mod, and tantares mods..

from the bottom up..

booster:
c-14u motor
c-765 fuel tank
1.25m stack decoupler
c-s3m motor
c-162 fuel tank
rc-001s remote guidance unit(to deorbit spent second stage remotely)
x4 hlr-15 solar batteries
x4 pioneer 5 solar panels
x4 per stage at the bottom of stage t-ma1 mooring and orientation engine(3 groups)
x4 per stage t-5id illuminator (for visibility during night launches)
0.625m decoupler to release payload from second stage

edit:
replaced originally equipped monoprop orbital fuel tank with x4 A-s10 small monoprop tanks (0.1575 tons) to save weight. original tank was a fl-r-a185 monoprop tank(0.84 tons)

payload:
top down here:

ra-2 relay antenna(0.15 tons)(primary long range transmitter to outbound craft)
probodobodyne okto(0.1 ton)(primary body of satellite)
lunar orbiter probe core(0.22 ton)(used as structural element)
X4 l-r90 folding high gain antenna(0.0085 ton) (primary transmitters to/from control station on kerbin)
x4 pioneer 5 solar panels(0.0045 ton)

total mass of payload: 0.602 tons. LIGHT as a blooming feather. so I must be doing something wrong, particularly as I havent even given the satellite a propulsive system of its own(which would see me easily exceeding the max est payload weight of 2.5 tons).

note: all weights do not include weight of fuel itself.

Edited by RaiderMan

I'm Loving the KOSMOS @Beale :) Just a small bug to report on it though, the main engine bell on the upper stage engine appears to be showing no emissive, the verniers are fine however (this is using the latest from the github repo)

In regards to @RaiderMan, what is your ascent profile like? I was able to throw just over 1 tonne into LKO (93x95km) in 2.5x (planets and orbits are 2.5x bigger, orbital velocity for LKO is ~3.7kms-1) with some fumes left in the tank. I feel like 1.1 tonnes may be possible given a more efficient launch, mine was good but not perfect

35 minutes ago, Chimer4 said:

I'm Loving the KOSMOS @Beale :) Just a small bug to report on it though, the main engine bell on the upper stage engine appears to be showing no emissive, the verniers are fine however (this is using the latest from the github repo)

In regards to @RaiderMan, what is your ascent profile like? I was able to throw just over 1 tonne into LKO (93x95km) in 2.5x (planets and orbits are 2.5x bigger, orbital velocity for LKO is ~3.7kms-1) with some fumes left in the tank. I feel like 1.1 tonnes may be possible given a more efficient launch, mine was good but not perfect

Many thanks! Yep, strange problem (I swear it was working).

Investigating the fix now.

By the way, really nice to hear it works well in 2.5x!

In other news:

hpRY4i1.png

zL07pHm.png

Edited by Beale

shooting for roughly 100,000 to 120,000km apogee/perigee, typically nose over a couple ticks once at 200 meters per second speed, and at 5k meters off the deck, throttling down gradually once the atmosphere begins thinning, with throttle up to full power on hard vacuum, to use whats left of the first stage to push as high as I can. had a curious issue when mounting srbs for a mercury capsule version where it seems to want to self destruct my fins. fixed that by repositioning above the pad's hold down clamps.

nose over to the 45 line on the nav ball once midway up, and all the way to the divide when out of atmo, which is when I usually make my final first stage push to orbital speed.

with the relay satellite, I had something like 20-30 units of liquid/ox left in the second stage, which is a closer shave than I'd like. am debating reducing the monoprop bottles from two to four. only need a little bit for ascent/on orbit maneuvering.

I'm not the most graceful flier to ever play kerbal, but given my successes with the proton-k(ended up with way the hell more fuel than I needed for kerbin orbit) and the soyuz stack(ended up throwing away an entire stage's worth of fuel), I was expecting similar performance with kosmos.

p.s. when I say throw away..I mean every launch, I end up tossing away fuel.

I'll put together a video of the next launch attempt, show you what I mean.

26 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

shooting for roughly 100,000 to 120,000km apogee/perigee, typically nose over a couple ticks once at 200 meters per second speed, and at 5k meters off the deck, throttling down gradually once the atmosphere begins thinning, with throttle up to full power on hard vacuum, to use whats left of the first stage to push as high as I can. had a curious issue when mounting srbs for a mercury capsule version where it seems to want to self destruct my fins. fixed that by repositioning above the pad's hold down clamps.

nose over to the 45 line on the nav ball once midway up, and all the way to the divide when out of atmo, which is when I usually make my final first stage push to orbital speed.

with the relay satellite, I had something like 20-30 units of liquid/ox left in the second stage, which is a closer shave than I'd like. am debating reducing the monoprop bottles from two to four. only need a little bit for ascent/on orbit maneuvering.

I'm not the most graceful flier to ever play kerbal, but given my successes with the proton-k(ended up with way the hell more fuel than I needed for kerbin orbit) and the soyuz stack(ended up throwing away an entire stage's worth of fuel), I was expecting similar performance with kosmos.

p.s. when I say throw away..I mean every launch, I end up tossing away fuel.

I'll put together a video of the next launch attempt, show you what I mean.

These are my personal tips for launching, I was just able to get an equivalent of your payload into 350x350km in 2.5x.

• Start pitching slowly at about 70ms-1 to the 10o mark aiming to hit it at around 140ms-1 (This usually differs depsnding on TWR, pitch sooner if its high, later if its low. TWR on KOSMOS is pretty good)
  • Hit follow prograde on the SAS and keep max throttle all the way up
  • Stage sep and keep following that prograde marker, ditch the fairing at around 45km (can probably get away with ditching it lower at normal scale)
  • Space

The biggest problem I can see with your ascent is that you are throttling down. This means you are losing way more than you should to gravity losses. To minimise gravity drag you want to be thrusting at maximum for the shortest period of time (paraphrasing wikipedia here). The only time you consider throttling is if you have a high TWR in the lower atmosphere in which case you would be losing more to atmospheric drag than gravity, but this is not a problem with beales KOSMOS.

Gives these tips a bash and see how it goes :) hope I can be of help

Also packs like Tantares and BDB are better played in something in something like 2.5x (personal opinion, I'm used to the delta-V budgets of pre 0.90) as they are balanced for the vehicle, not for Kerbin, resulting in them being overkill for standard scale ( @Beale correct me if this is wrong)

Edited by Chimer4

13 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

here's the launch I just recorded.

I did actually start to notice some friction heating during my first test launch with this stack, so, I do tend to throttle down a bit.

As I mentioned, don't throttle back. The "friction heating" is largely visual only so keep giving it full throttle. Also it looks like you are pitching over too slowly. My rule is 45° by 10-15km

could well be what I'm doing wrong. wish the gauge at the top of the screen gave it to me in km, rather than me having to find that out by flipping to the map and back like a loon XD

how's the rest of the stack look to you? reasonable hardware load for what I'm asking of it?

Personal opinion, you don't need all the gumf on the second stage. It doesn't need separation motors or solar panels. Any probe you slap on it will have enough charge to see it to orbit. Anything you add to the second stage directly subtracted from the payload capacity, and the added drag won't help either. 

I'd say you're losing upwards of 1kms-1 more than you should be to gravity. KOSMOS should be able to throw 3 if not 4 of those satellites into LKO

Also @Beale, this is going back a bit to old tantares, but are there any plans to polish fuji or maybe expand on the Japanese side (H2/H3) :wink:

right, lets strip some kibble off, see if that helps, along with a better pitchover. 45 degrees by 10-15k right?
should I change the monoprop capacity or leave it as it is presently?

also, your signature..the ULA pack, that page does not exist

Edited by RaiderMan