[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

IIRC there's no monopropellant on KOSMOS, so I guess you've added some. It's not needed as the little verniers are sufficient for turning so strip that out. Remember every kilo added to the second stage is payload lost.

Haha, that ULA pack does still exist if you hunt for it, but it's going back 4 years :o 

there is a secondary reason for the monoprop.

backup..in case I kark up the initial ascent, I've got a backup. so..I THINK I can strip it down to two tanks and have enough to limp if limping is needed.

and on the ULA pack...if it was current, I'd love to play with the parts in that. finding decent modern parts like what's used by ULA has proven to be a bit of a pain.

You shouldn't use any monoprop, it's less efficient than LF/O so you'll probably end up losing more than you gain. 

What I suggest is build the rocket as is (payload/decoupler/fairing/probe core/second stage tank/second stage engine/decoupler/first stage tank/first stage engine) nothing else added. For the payload just use a couple of monoprop tanks to make up a 2 tonne mass simulator payload. Fly that and see how it goes

48 minutes ago, Chimer4 said:

IIRC there's no monopropellant on KOSMOS, so I guess you've added some. It's not needed as the little verniers are sufficient for turning so strip that out. Remember every kilo added to the second stage is payload lost.

Haha, that ULA pack does still exist if you hunt for it, but it's going back 4 years :o 

You just reminded me, there is a low thrust system on the upper stage :) Maybe I need to finish that...

Minor revamps:

b7g8803.png

14 minutes ago, Beale said:

You just reminded me, there is a low thrust system on the upper stage :) Maybe I need to finish that...

Minor revamps:

b7g8803.png

It's an interesting system that's KOSMOS has. From what I can tell, those small tanks powered the gas generator for the 11D49, and the exhaust was used in those verniers for final orbit correction

1 hour ago, Chimer4 said:

You shouldn't use any monoprop, it's less efficient than LF/O so you'll probably end up losing more than you gain. 

What I suggest is build the rocket as is (payload/decoupler/fairing/probe core/second stage tank/second stage engine/decoupler/first stage tank/first stage engine) nothing else added. For the payload just use a couple of monoprop tanks to make up a 2 tonne mass simulator payload. Fly that and see how it goes

the probe and mono are probably about at the one and a half ton mark, to be honest.

loading up ksp now to check that to be sure.

@Beale small issue I noticed with the second stage, running the engine does not charge the electrical system..is this intentional or an 'oops' moment?

@Chimer4 yep...just the mono, fairing, and probe, 1.4 tons. well within launch capabilities.

that said, adjusting my initial ascent profile does help somewhat.

Edited by RaiderMan

further reduced from 4 to 2 monoprop tanks. extra fuel left after now at 100 units each, of fuel and oxidizer.

the booster doesnt have monoprop itself, and the control unit isnt strong enough to turn even the second stage with payload, on its own....

Edited by RaiderMan

20 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

small issue I noticed with the second stage, running the engine does not charge the electrical system..is this intentional or an 'oops' moment?

Not an issue, a lot of the base-game engines do not have alternators either.

19 hours ago, Drakenex said:

I'm getting massive lag with the TLV/Soyuz on the launchpad, during launch then everything goes back to normal when only the spacecraft remains. Even after engine ignition. Anyone else or just me? (Running 1.3.1)

Interesting, is this the very latest version of the mod?

Soyuz!

poMHFQb.png

Super Soyuz?!

bb2JxYh.png

15 minutes ago, Beale said:

Not an issue, a lot of the base-game engines do not have alternators either.

Interesting, is this the very latest version of the mod?

Soyuz!

poMHFQb.png

Super Soyuz?!

bb2JxYh.png

I am not asking for a timeline..but please tell me this is going in the next update..I LOVE having new boosters to play with.

on the lack o alternator..thats why I needed to put batteries of some kind on the second stage. once decoupled from the payload, one then has an otherwise altogether too short a time to work the stage into position for a self deorbit burn.
is there perhaps a slim battery pack or something you're aware of that I could slot into position on the second stage booster?

2 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

on the lack o alternator..thats why I needed to put batteries of some kind on the second stage. once decoupled from the payload, one then has an otherwise altogether too short a time to work the stage into position for a self deorbit burn.
is there perhaps a slim battery pack or something you're aware of that I could slot into position on the second stage booster?

I don't really know,, the second stage is not intended to be de-orbited - so you may need to use different parts.

41 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

I am not asking for a timeline..but please tell me this is going in the next update..I LOVE having new boosters to play with.

You don't need extra batteries. Any probe has enough power to last till the deorbit burn. Just wait for half an orbit and burn. That way you won't even need to engage SAS, because the stage will already be facing retrograde.

1 hour ago, tomkpunkt said:

Please update CKAN link or version :wink: , Thx.

That's nothing to do with me, responsibility is the CKAN people, ask them.

@Drakenex Thanks, anybody else having problems?
I can try to push this new Soyuz out as fast as I can :) 

Edited by Beale

On 22-10-2017 at 8:53 PM, RaiderMan said:

here's the launch I just recorded.

I did actually start to notice some friction heating during my first test launch with this stack, so, I do tend to throttle down a bit.

Nice launch, question, from what mod is the "Pioneer 5 solar panel"? Thx :)

16 hours ago, Beale said:

Soyuz!

poMHFQb.png

Super Soyuz?!

bb2JxYh.png

Looks awesome. Beale, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Really excited for an orange Soyuz, and the Kosmos is perfect, keep up the hard work. Between this mod and BDB I am a happy man.

Also have you ever considered the white and drab green paint scheme from Vostok? It's one of my favorites, and might look nice (with a few artistic changes) on the lower stages and boosters of your r-7. Just a thought.