[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

The Soyuz craft file that you put up won't open. It says I'm missing some parts. I'm assuming those are the fairings? Is it made using ProceduralFairings?

EDIT: I have ProceduralFairings installed, and yet it still says it is missing "strutConnectorMedium". Does anyone know what this is?

Pretty sure that's a KW rocketry pack strut

I finally had some time to properly test the R7, excellent work :)

Though I did have to extend the boosters and first stage slightly to get a Soyuz to orbit in 6.4x, it still looks really nice (thanks to that procedural texture, yay!).

Just one nit to pick - the soyuz engines are arranged rectangularly (see), while the Tantares engines are diagonally oriented. It is a small matter and I would still sleep calmly if it never got fixed, but if you want a better match, Beale, you could rotate the models by 45°.

I think the Lyappa arm (if you get round to it) should use the claw module, so that we don't have to stick more parts to the stations and it would have more versatility.

The Shenzhou looks great (from the pictures) and it seems to have excellent functionality. I like how it would provide more features while increasing weight, so I'd be forced to upgrade my lifter to account for it once I decide to get that far in the tech tree. And since it's a command module, I'm sure it will find plenty other uses.

The R-7 (Soyuz Rocket, Tavio in this pack) and UR-500 (Proton, ALV in this pack) are now my standard workhorses, I can see how they are so useful to Roscosmos, Sergei Korolev and Vladimir Chelomey were geniuses!

Thanks! Great to hear!

Korolev had a very interesting life for sure, from the Gulag to sending men and women into space. Amazing.

Here is the latest picture of Kenzou 1(My shenzou type mission).

http://i.imgur.com/e0JgAUp.jpg

The probe at the top is a simple probe with a kerbal engineering system part put on as well as a hoop antenna. In rp it essentially gives the kerbals access to the internet and stuff, so the kerbals have something to do while sitting around up there. I would have posted this earlier actually, but I got distracted by stuff on imgur. I also discovered Kiwis (The bird from New Zealand type, not the fruit type) are really cute.

Good stuff! I love seeing people do stuff to extend these modules!

I really like the shenzhou OM.

It looks really nice!

On that note, are you going to release that chinese capsule that you were working on in the eyes turned skywards thread?

Thankyou!

The Longxing capsule... Yes it was actually textured a while back. Sadly with pressing work commitments and other stuff I never could have the time to work on it.

A shame as the Eyes Turned Skywareds pack will surely be a great community mod, when the ball gets rolling on it. I just need to find the time.

Also does sentient bread have natural enemies?

Only time. #2deep4me

The Soyuz craft file that you put up won't open. It says I'm missing some parts. I'm assuming those are the fairings? Is it made using ProceduralFairings?

EDIT: I have ProceduralFairings installed, and yet it still says it is missing "strutConnectorMedium". Does anyone know what this is?

Ah. I confess I didn't make the craft files you get on the page, and I don't think I tested the R-7 in my own game. It is possible it uses some parts from another pack. Apologies on that, I'll have a look.

As another person have pointed out, I think that is a KW rocketry pack part that can't be loaded.

Please do! :)

Okay! Done.

Well, not done, but started.

faba7d92ca.jpg

I finally had some time to properly test the R7, excellent work :)

Though I did have to extend the boosters and first stage slightly to get a Soyuz to orbit in 6.4x, it still looks really nice (thanks to that procedural texture, yay!).

Just one nit to pick - the soyuz engines are arranged rectangularly (see), while the Tantares engines are diagonally oriented. It is a small matter and I would still sleep calmly if it never got fixed, but if you want a better match, Beale, you could rotate the models by 45°.

I think the Lyappa arm (if you get round to it) should use the claw module, so that we don't have to stick more parts to the stations and it would have more versatility.

The Shenzhou looks great (from the pictures) and it seems to have excellent functionality. I like how it would provide more features while increasing weight, so I'd be forced to upgrade my lifter to account for it once I decide to get that far in the tech tree. And since it's a command module, I'm sure it will find plenty other uses.

Thanks for the feedback there!

I didn't notice the correct orientation of the engines. Yeah, that is a quick fix (Or it should be).

The Lyappa arm: I am interested in using the claw module. I've not looked into how it works yet, buy maybe :)

I made that craft file. Yes, the craft uses Procedural Fairings, but I'm pretty sure I used the stock medium struts. It's how I secure the boosters to the core stage. Then again, I did have KW installed when I made the craft file, and it's possible I incorrectly took a KW strut, so I'll double check.

Edited by AppleDavidJeans

Quick question: What is the "Kontact" docking port meant to dock with? It doesn't seem to have a female counterpart.

It should dock with any Size0 docking port. So, the stock 0.625m ones, or the any of the Soyuz ports.

I know it's a bit unusual looking... And not exactly a great match with the circular ports.

To be honest I never put much thought into what the "Transfer" stage for the Fobos should look like. It's mainly an improvisation per mission

I'm open to suggestions if people have ideas for a female port design :)

I guess we need a Long March now :wink:

You can build a fairly reasonable Long March with the TLV parts, IMO.

But, yeah it is a pretty different looking rocket, maybe some day. :rolleyes:

The one in HGR is pretty great too!

I made that craft file. Yes, the craft uses Procedural Fairings, but I'm pretty sure I used the stock medium struts. It's how I secure the boosters to the core stage. Then again, I did have KW installed when I made the craft file, and it's possible I incorrectly took a KW strut, so I'll double check.

Thanks!

F U J I 富士

d00aa21bd5.jpg

1f69af8065.jpg

Edited by Beale

I just want to ask a maybe obvious question, are the docking ports compatible with stock parts or are they only usable with other parts from this pack?

But yeah thanks a lot for this, it looks absolutely amazing and it should make for some epic stations.

I had to start a modular Chinese-style station. Tianzhou included on the right, pretty pleased with it :)

38813E825374DED172B824E16784CB0E470F76F4

However, my node glitched and all its docking ports are hovering above the nodes. No idea what could have caused it, I tried launching again and at least on the launchpad it looked okay.

(see detail here).

I found an interesting blog for old proposed designs: https://falsesteps.wordpress.com

That blog was linked the first time Beale redid the Fuji! (Although, maybe you were the guy who linked it)

I think you guys might be interested in the japanese site the False Steps writer said he used as a source: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A//web.archive.org/web/20040604021404/http%3A//giken.tksc.nasda.go.jp/Group/sentan/mission/2/1.html

Edited by billbobjebkirk
Clarification

Yay! Thank you! It's one of my favorite what-if ships.
Fugi... The spaceship you can toss into orbit like a frisbee. ;)

Looks good (again) so far!

Thanks!

Worth mentioning also, the texture is tiny.

I suspect the entire Fuji (Minus the orbital module) will fit on one sheet.

90bb087758.jpg

This method of texturing limits the amount of greeble I can stick on it (arguably a good thing). But generally, it's looking okay so far.

I've been having tons of fun with your old Fuji. Can't wait to see this new one!

EDIT: also, will we ever see the D2 again? that is a really nice one too.

I wouldn't mind seeing the D2 again. And that Fuji looks so great!

Thanks!

The D2: The reason it is never resurrected is a game-breaking bug associated with Capsules with Fairings, that I could never quite pinpoint correctly...

So I'm afraid not, for the time being :(

This is probably my favorite part pack that i've EVER had. It fits in so nicely with vanilla KSP, it almost seems like it should be stock. Not to mention that it makes for gorgeous orbital constructs.

http://i.imgur.com/mLK1DZb.png

Wow! Thanks! Nice station :)

Well, I guess it's time to make a Tiangong-alike. :D

http://imgur.com/a/p5eCf

Great stuff! :)

I just want to ask a maybe obvious question, are the docking ports compatible with stock parts or are they only usable with other parts from this pack?

But yeah thanks a lot for this, it looks absolutely amazing and it should make for some epic stations.

Yes they are compatible with stock "tiny" docking nodes (the 0.625m ones). :)

I had to start a modular Chinese-style station. Tianzhou included on the right, pretty pleased with it :)

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/537382458704401810/38813E825374DED172B824E16784CB0E470F76F4/

However, my node glitched and all its docking ports are hovering above the nodes. No idea what could have caused it, I tried launching again and at least on the launchpad it looked okay.

(see detail here).

Looks great! I like the cargo bay Tianzhou a lot! :)

The docking node issue:

It looks like the "Hub" part has been scaled down... Erm, not sure what can cause that. Can I ask what mods you use?

hey beale , long time not seen.

just cheking out your new updated stuff ... and i have to say: AWESOME R-7 ! :)

reallyl ike how this pack is developing

You're back!

Many thanks :)

I didn't know about the Fuji spacecraft. Any illustration of the internals ? The shape is totally weird ! :confused:

I found an interesting blog for old proposed designs: https://falsesteps.wordpress.com

That blog was linked the first time Beale redid the Fuji! (Although, maybe you were the guy who linked it)

I think you guys might be interested in the japanese site he said he used as a source: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A//web.archive.org/web/20040604021404/http%3A//giken.tksc.nasda.go.jp/Group/sentan/mission/2/1.html

Thankyou!

Maybe I did use these sources in the past, but they have faded from memory.

They will come in handy :)

Edited by Beale

The D2: The reason it is never resurrected is a game-breaking bug associated with Capsules with Fairings, that I could never quite pinpoint correctly...

So I'm afraid not, for the time being :(

Perhaps, instead of a Capsule Fairing, you could make a shroud that mounts in between the capsule and the Orbital module? It could also serve as the decoupler.

Maybe I did use these sources in the past, but they have faded from memory.

They will come in handy

Always glad to help!

It's not me who originally posted the link to this blog, but this thread start to be difficult to follow with 258 pages (that explains why i was not aware that this link had been already posted, but it's good to post it back as it is interesting).

As I said, i'm curious to know how the Fuji capsule was supposed to be arranged internally. Either the capsule is extremely larger than what i think in regards with other spacecraft (as Orion), either it is really tight inside, because the capsule is surprisingly flat !

A part that no-one ever proposed, but that has been already made by someone else for another reason, I can suggest the Columbus module. In its current form, it is part of the ISS. But initially, it was supposed to be part of the Columbus MTFF.

As reference, Columbus has the same diameter as the ATV (already done by Beale).

Is there any chance in getting subassemblies made for the LV's? I keep messing something up when i try to put the R7 together...

I'm sure it has already been said at some point, but no matter how much I search I cannot find it...

Seconded. It'd be nice to get crafts for these lifters built as Beale intended them. Maybe leave out procedural fairing base for people who aren't using them?

On a semi-related note, I have yet to have a catastrophic failure that wasn't clearly my own fault with Beale's R7 design. When assembled how I'd logically assume that it's supposed to be put together, the R7 is incredibly stable and reliable, even with FAR. The booster design keeps the CoM really low on the rocket, which is essential when running FAR or NEAR. With scaled down, short-fire sep motors, the boosters will "korolev" every time, beautifully, without fail.

Beale, one issue I've run into now that I've started using Tantares parts much more frequently in my vessel designs, is the probe and drogue docking rings. I believe the acquire range and magnetism s much too strong. I've had spacecraft get ripped apart due to the torque and oscillations of the docking nodes mating together violently. Any way we could get this tuned down a bit closer to stock levels? I like the wide acquire angle that the probe and drogue design allows, but not the force and acceleration with which they align and mate.

As I said, i'm curious to know how the Fuji capsule was supposed to be arranged internally. Either the capsule is extremely larger than what i think in regards with other spacecraft (as Orion)

A size chart! http://www.shokabo.co.jp/author/8758/fujicapsuleC1.jpg

(or) it is really tight inside, because the capsule is surprisingly flat !

That's the reason for the ridiculously big Mission Module.