[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

19 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Beale, any chance of improving the fairings? When building them, they're "sticky", I can't right-click to delete them 99% of the time and sometimes they don't autocomplete around parts that they did a second ago.

Their force is being increased to 500 by default soon. Currently it is only defaulted to 100, I recommend pushing it higher if you don't already.

100 is quite weak, so it will fall away slowly.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:07 AM, TK-313 said:

Just to make sure, do you right-click the fairing base or the fairing itself? Because only the fairing bases are clickable, just like the stock ones

Huh, that's also how stock fairings behave?

12 hours ago, Beale said:

Their force is being increased to 500 by default soon. Currently it is only defaulted to 100, I recommend pushing it higher if you don't already.

100 is quite weak, so it will fall away slowly.

Fairings in-flight work fine, I just seem to have more trouble trying to construct them in VAB than I do with stock fairings, or maybe I'm just dreaming that I am.

1 hour ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Fairings in-flight work fine, I just seem to have more trouble trying to construct them in VAB than I do with stock fairings, or maybe I'm just dreaming that I am.

Oh!

I misunderstood. This one is very annoying yes. I don't think it's any different from the stock fairings though? Maybe I am wrong.

I will take some time to investigate.

1 minute ago, Derb said:

@Beale: Did you revamp the Soyuz rocket colors? Looks good, though I do miss the orange stripe.

100% honesty, I forgot I even did that :wacko:
Still work to be done on the paint scheme, but it should have a little more meat by the next full release of TantaresLV.

Hello Beale, and thank you for your work making and maintaining this mod!

I'm having an issue with the current Github version linked on the last page.

The N1 1st stage engine immediately detaches from the 1st stage tank when staged and is completely unusable as a result. I don't know what's causing this ( autostruts and rigid attachment don't help ) and it happens even when Tantares is the only mod installed.

Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

It seems like the joint is breaking ( either from the weight of the rocket or from the force of the engines ), so perhaps the strength of one of the 2 parts is too low?

Edit: Using a bunch of manually placed, external struts does fix it, so it's a strength issue somewhere.

Edited by Mudwig

12 hours ago, woeller said:

You're almost there @Beale! Will they get Texture switching? You know, for a Buran Launcher to look like one. :D

I'am sure @Pak would like it too.

Lg7z5GX.jpg

OHu4gGV.jpg

KwUe3F8.jpg

Awesome craft! No nosecones is brave of course.

Re: the texture switch, which do you mean?

12 hours ago, Mudwig said:

Hello Beale, and thank you for your work making and maintaining this mod!

I'm having an issue with the current Github version linked on the last page.

The N1 1st stage engine immediately detaches from the 1st stage tank when staged and is completely unusable as a result. I don't know what's causing this ( autostruts and rigid attachment don't help ) and it happens even when Tantares is the only mod installed.

Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

It seems like the joint is breaking ( either from the weight of the rocket or from the force of the engines ), so perhaps the strength of one of the 2 parts is too low?

Edit: Using a bunch of manually placed, external struts does fix it, so it's a strength issue somewhere.

First thing to try is turn rigid attachment off. Despite the name, this can actually make joints a lot weaker (It works better for other use-cases).
That alone, autostrut should be fine, never had any problems at all.

With these steps it is so solid you do not even need clamps, but I would still recommend those! :D 

Qn4oD3G.png

5 minutes ago, Beale said:

Awesome craft! No nosecones is brave of course.

Thank you! I'am waiting for your nosecones ;)

6 minutes ago, Beale said:

Re: the texture switch, which do you mean? 

I mean the upcoming cones. Maybe something greyish like this?

block_Apara.jpg

3 hours ago, woeller said:

block_Apara.jpg

Those grey bits are actually landing gear if you can believe it

launcher, rocket, russian, soviet, vulkan, Energia M, Energia, Zenit, Russian lunar rocket, N-1

6 hours ago, woeller said:

block_Apara.jpg

Aaaah okay - well, I think the Energia needs more contrast as it is? It is pretty washed out overall. So yes! Maybe it will become more like the above.

Github

Two shiny new nose-cones for your Energia rockets.
There are a few more 5m parts to make, but I am firmly looking to polish and improve the parts as we move, so please! Give feedback on balance, etc.

kjIyeGv.png

On 4/29/2018 at 10:33 AM, Beale said:

First thing to try is turn rigid attachment off. Despite the name, this can actually make joints a lot weaker (It works better for other use-cases).
That alone, autostrut should be fine, never had any problems at all.

With these steps it is so solid you do not even need clamps, but I would still recommend those! :D 

Thanks, that fixed it. 

The Blok D has some issues with RCS effects pointing the wrong way also, but you may already be aware. It works fine, it just looks weird.

Do you have any plans to update the Blok D to be more in line with the refreshed Proton and the new Zenit?

You recommend playing with 2.5x scale, which doesn't play too nicely with MechJeb. Would you, or anyone else who may read this, have any suggestions for Mechjeb settings in 2.5X scale ( if this has previously been discussed, being pointed in the right direction would be much appreciated )? I am having issues getting efficient ascents without having to fly manually, which I don't like doing all that much. Soyuz, in particular, ascends far too steeply and I can't find a good balance that doesn't waste a ton of Delta V.

Again, thank you for your time.