[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

11 hours ago, Deltac said:

RIP Voskhod hype, 8/17/2018

let IsVoskhodBeingReleased post = 
    match post : string with
    | a when a.Contains("voskhod hype") -> true
    | _ -> false

Oh on a similar note

let IsBrizBeingMade = false
4 hours ago, Tyko said:

@Beale wow...you're amazing! You keep cranking out these high quality parts at an incredible pace. Thanks so much for doing this!

Many thanks. 

Actually the new layer setup allows extremely fast work, so I would love to see if anybody can pick up and run with this technique also?

r4WwuUW.png?width=707&height=613

wYa2hdo.png

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Actually the new layer setup allows extremely fast work, so I would love to see if anybody can pick up and run with this technique also?

r4WwuUW.png?width=707&height=613

Yeah this is neat.

If only I had time to get back into this. I haven't even had a chance to play the game properly in months, let alone work on recolours or finish my own stupid parts mod.

Edited by Fly Angry

58 minutes ago, Deltac said:

Salyut 1 hype

ngFspaa.png

And bug report!  The Tantares RCS are making big plumes in KSP 1.4.5.  Tested in fresh install with nothing else installed, and big plumes still happen.

9Z7IE7D.png

Urgh, confirmed issue - thanks for finding that.

It had been reported before but maybe I tested wrong, I see the same in 1.4+
I will look into it soon.

ctQboRf.png
dIXMSXs.jpg
Zcg4pEj.png
3czebTv.png

1 minute ago, Drakenex said:

Sorry to interfere, but what docking compartment are you talking about?

On Salyut-era DOS hulls, there was the tiered work module and a forward 'docking module' which tapered at the end, where Soyuz crafts would dock. It was replaced with the node on Mir's core and Zvezda.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:33 PM, Beale said:

The plan is to deprecate the part "gracefully" so that crafts will load - but the names, descriptions, etc will tell you to get rid of it.

Important to note, it will not appear in the VAB, you will only see it on old craft.

It seems like Beale accidently removed the part, crafts containing it can't be loaded from the VAB.

10 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

On Salyut-era DOS hulls, there was the tiered work module and a forward 'docking module' which tapered at the end, where Soyuz crafts would dock. It was replaced with the node on Mir's core and Zvezda.

It seems like Beale accidently removed the part, crafts containing it can't be loaded from the VAB.

Nope, is deprecated, look at "zDEPRECATED1.cfg" on the Salyut folder, it's category is set to 0, so it loads the part but is not shown at the VAB. He don't want us to use, that's why it's deprecated.

1 minute ago, Drakenex said:

Nope, is deprecated, look at "zDEPRECATED1.cfg" on the Salyut folder, it's category is set to 0, so it loads the part but is not shown at the VAB. He don't want us to use, that's why it's deprecated.

The part doesn't load at all for me, though I haven't tested the latest commit.

10 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Beale Just wanna check, does the latest commit have the old Salyut docking compartment? It seemed as if you had inadvertently removed it altogether.

It "should" be there, but I have no older craft files to check. 

13 hours ago, Drakenex said:

Noice!!! I'll wait for that before releasing the skins.

Question! Almaz main module doesn't have any resources, it is supposed to have because it have fuel spheres?

That is correct, I think 12 (?) or so of the larger fuel spheres. So quite a lot of propellant.
Actually the bottom section of the crew section could be split of as a bonus 2.5m monopro tank. 

2 hours ago, Beale said:

That is correct, I think 12 (?) or so of the larger fuel spheres. So quite a lot of propellant.
Actually the bottom section of the crew section could be split of as a bonus 2.5m monopro tank. 

Yeah, speaking of which... The Almaz engines now use LF/O, not monoprop. Will this stuff be aligned somehow?

13 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Yeah, speaking of which... The Almaz engines now use LF/O, not monoprop. Will this stuff be aligned somehow?

Doh!

Yes, the little spheres hold LFO.

Speaking of, do people want those engines to use LFO or Monoprop? 

Okay, I haven't submitted a mission report here in a while, so might as well do that. Here goes...

CzJWHuk.jpg

The Vega-VA station was a novelty in many respects. The first military space station out there just had to be, bringing tons of new opportunities. More experiments (the shooty kind), new camera-telescopes (the military guys definitely shared Bob's sentiment for BIG lenses)... More new stuff to fly it all.

Ah, the new stuff. There's a reason why they say: "The more novelty, the bigger the fireball".

The first problems with the new station started even before the assembly was finished. After the engines got shipped to the wrong end of the globe for the third time, it was decided to use a couple of the long-mothballed O-10 monoprop engines (better known by their trademark "Puff" noise). They were big. They were overpowered. They barely fit between the airlock hatch and the solar panels. Yet they had to do.

Then it turned out that half of the station - the one with two-thirds of fuel tankage - had multiple flaws in the piping. Normally that would be nothing but a reason to postpone the launch until it's done, but with all those unfortunate engine shipments the dates were starting to look borderline obscene. Wernher suggested they launch the station as it is - with all the bugs found in the process it was easier to make a new unit for actual service while using the prototype to test the autopilot.

And so up it went - the station, the weight mockups of equipment inside and a VA lifeboat on top. Sure, the prototype was never meant to be visited, but on Kerbin you never know for sure.

The launch vehicle decided it was the best of times to remind everyone why it still wasn't man-rated, flashing a "Warning: second stage engine failure" halfway through the first stage. The KSC was silent for a moment.

"Carry on", - Gene Kerman commanded.

Half of the kerbals around thought Gene had balls of steel to risk the possibility of dropping the flying eco-disaster the Alnair LV was into the ocean. The other half thought that maybe someone should have installed the range safety charges.

The alarm, however, was a false one - or maybe whatever valve was jammed got unstuck by the rocket's vibration while the first stage was burning. Whatever the reason, the second stage ignited and burned without problem. Everyone exhaled. Too early.

The third stage put the station's apoapsis to 90 kilometers - from here the station would go with its own engines. By design, it would. But that design did not suggest that a) the engines, having not liked the mothballs, would both fail and b) it would happen when the station's fuel supply was limited to one-third of its nominal. It was, of course, expected that c) the brand-new MRCS control system would act up in some way, being new and untested, but it wasn't making the life of the mission control crew any easier.

"So what do we have?" - Gene asked.

"Engine A is busted" - came the report. - "The cameras show the nozzle is just blown off. Maybe a mothball got stuck it the catalyst bed, or whatever. Engine B is mostly functional - the throttle is stuck, but the backup valves on the tanks work, so we can control thrust that way. But the thrust vector is now off center, we'll have to compensate with RCS. That'll up the fuel consunption rate by five to ten percent. Nothing fatal, but only if A isn't leaking".

"Good. And the controls?"

"The roll controls are not responding, and the FBW system is acting erratic. But the autopilot still responds correctly to four of the preprogrammed commands - hold prograde, hold retrograde, hold attitude and kill rotation".

"So... We're down to four buttons and a valve to put the thing in orbit?"

"Yes, sir. And to turn the station around to reorient it solar panels up. Without roll control. Sir".

The mission commander smiled. "Just like the good old times".

Edited by TK-313

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Speaking of, do people want those engines to use LFO or Monoprop? 

LFO or Monoprop, i don't care, but please make just the sphere to match with the engine LFO Or monoprop

Edited by Well

@Beale is there a simple way to swap out the exhaust effects you use to the stock ones? I was digging through the configs and didn't see anything obvious. Nothing at all wrong with yours, I just want the engines to have a more consistent effect for similar engine types.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Okay, I haven't submitted a mission report here in a while, so might as well do that. Here goes...

-snip-

I love these :) 

Awesome craft also! (I hope there is a station recovery mission)

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

@Beale is there a simple way to swap out the exhaust effects you use to the stock ones? I was digging through the configs and didn't see anything obvious. Nothing at all wrong with yours, I just want the engines to have a more consistent effect for similar engine types.

Thanks!

All FX are defined in the engine config, under the EFFECTS block, e.g.

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
            modelName = Tantares/FX/FX_Tantares_Engine_1
            transformName = thrustTransform
            emission = 0.0 0.0
            emission = 0.05 0.0
            emission = 0.075 0.25
            emission = 1.0 1.25
            speed = 0.0 0.5
            speed = 1.0 1.2
            }

Where  Tantares/FX/FX_Tantares_Engine_1 is the reference to the FX used.

Hope this helps.

Github

Solar panels Almaz. There is not yet a tilted version so far,  so you might struggle to put these in a 2.5m fairing.
The crew module also has fuel now - but still has changes required.

51ukrjK.png