[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 4/12/2018 at 9:16 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

Non-functional Polyus, courtesy of a few other mods.

NSeKIhw.jpg?1

Though we do not yet have Polyus parts, that is really awesome! I love it! 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, kremonia said:

Loved the work you've made. Are you interesting on some LS patches. I'm typically using USI-LS and can made a support patches to contribute.

I would love it, if you open a pull request on Github I will merge it for the next release.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:48 PM, ddavis425 said:

be438c8bae.png

Here's an OPSEK inspired station I'm building, the Russian segment is done and now I'm building an American segment to sort of make it into an ISS 2. Really can't wait for that updated VA capsule

Wow! That's a great build! 

ga9hlSg.jpg
o5cneoH.png
wCFRwxx.jpg
NtOThvp.png

The Zenit should be a little taller than Proton (And it will be when the engines are complete).

Edited by Beale

11 hours ago, Derb said:

Bottom tank is going to be very, very useful being so much larger than a stock orange tank.

Yep! For reference, the middle tank of the top row is almost equal size to the orange tank.

17 hours ago, Beale said:

Though we do not yet have Polyus parts, that is really awesome! I love it! 

I would love it, if you open a pull request on Github I will merge it for the next release.

Wow! That's a great build! 

The Zenit should be a little taller than Proton (And it will be when the engines are complete).

It looks great, but isn't 2.5 m diameter too large for use as an Energia booster? And IRL Proton's diameter is nearly double that of Zenit... (7.4m vs 3.9m)

4 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

It looks great, but isn't 2.5 m diameter too large for use as an Energia booster? And IRL Proton's diameter is nearly double that of Zenit... (7.4m vs 3.9m)

That is the diameter of the Proton's first stage, the core is 4.1m. 

CICS7tl.png

Secret  meme.

RUTZWYx.png
uW4zC0E.png

Energia Balance

This is a problem that needs to be taken on - the current 5m parts are huge, and very heavy. In turn, the RD-0120 parts are very powerful to compensate.
Would it be better to keep it as it is? Or scale mass and fuel amounts by 75% or 50% ?

Edited by Beale

30 minutes ago, Beale said:

Energia Balance

This is a problem that needs to be taken on - the current 5m parts are huge, and very heavy. In turn, the RD-0120 parts are very powerful to compensate.
Would it be better to keep it as it is? Or scale mass and fuel amounts by 75% or 50% ?

I might be misunderstanding your question...If you're considering scaling the Energia differently (compared to IRL) than other rockets, I vote "no"

I think it's better to keep to consistent size/mass scaling across all vehicles in your pack. A 5 meter rocket is pretty OP for a stock solar system anyway. Still better to keep parts all consistently sized/balanced so they are interchangeable with each other and Stock. If the RD-0120 is a huge monster of an engine, that's cool as long as it's stats are in line with other engines. Someone will find a use for it  :)

42 minutes ago, Beale said:

One solution would be to use LH2 instead of LF like irl RD-0120. It'd decrease the anmount of fuel in the tanks by mass and allow nerfing the engines' thrust...

But if you aren't planning to do that it's probably best to just keep it as it is. 

Edited by notJebKerman

On 16.04.2018 at 12:56 AM, Beale said:

Already done this via simple and generic Module Manager config. It has now about 75 supplies per 1 crew member on board and 1 kerbal month per crew member it is definitely  too much. So let me know what you as a mod maintainer prefer: realism or kerbalism.

10 hours ago, Beale said:

Energia Balance

As in reduce the values to 75/50% of stockalike scaling? I would say no - should be scaled consistently with all your other parts. It would feel very off to have normal scaling for smaller parts and impotent 5m, especially with other stock balanced 5m part mods also installed. Why use Beale's Energia tanks when SpaceY/KW/NF 5m tanks are twice the fuel for the same size? Because they are real pretty of course. But beautiful, not as useful tanks would just make people angry I'd think.

As for engines, I see where you come from with the 1.25m diameter being more powerful than the stock SSME, but one must realize that engine is part of a larger assembly that is engines+engine mount - I don't see myself using it on 1.25m stacks on its own, probably just in various clusters for larger stacks. Using it on a 1.25m stack may seem "overpowered," but it's down to the player whether they want to do that or not. It drinks fuel and is heavy anyway, so it really isn't the best choice for a size 1 stack even with the power.

In any case, consistency is key - all parts should be balanced by the same standard, whatever it be.

EDIT: RE: Possible LH2: If you do go the LH2 route, it would be very generous to implement an included extra patch to allow the engines/tanks to run on LFOx or LH2Ox per user preference. Personally I find LH2 kinda ehhhh.... Often I don't have fun dealing with the restrictions imposed by not being able to mix and match tanks and engines to my heart's desire due to multiple fuel types, especially when running with few mods and perhaps just one that even has an LH2 engine at all.

Edited by Derb

11 hours ago, Beale said:

Mod Energia Balance

Scale your Mod to 75% :wink:

14 hours ago, Beale said:

Secret  meme.

RUTZWYx.png
uW4zC0E.png

Energia Balance

I would suggest balancing the energia relative to your other rockets. All of your rockets work well in a 2.5x system, as do BDB, Commonwealth, reDIRECT, and the Shuttles (with the 2.5x config). I hardly play with stock scale anymore.