[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

57 minutes ago, DylanSemrau said:

So I've been meaning to re-create Mir for a while now, but today I actually went through with it.

Honestly, the most fun I've had making a station in this game. Thanks @Beale you've done some pretty awesome stuff here!

Hide contents

iEaMaIo.png

Oh man, it's awesome! I love to see these builds. The shuttle is a very nice touch.

Would it be cool to use this image as the MIR example on the front?

rDqeuLk.png

40 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Made some direct mün mission with your lk stuff and almaz engines!

1541287251-20181104001113-1.jpg

Such a cute lander! The chain of engines is really nice, I had never thought to use them that way.

I see the little return stage :wink: 

Some parts in-game.

adIND5i.jpg
07HoYgw.png

So guys! Unrelated issue to Tantares,  but I imagine you are the correct crowd to ask this. 

Did 1.5 change a lot? Is it a completelly different animal from the previous iteration, or are parts mods still rated for 1.4.5 able to function fine with 1.5.x?

Edited by Daniel Prates

Just now, Daniel Prates said:

So guys! Unrelated issue to Tantares,  but I imagine you are the correct crowd to asl this. 

Did 1.5 change a lot? Is it a completelly different animal from the previous iteration, or are parts mods still rated for 1.4.5 able to function fine with 1.5.x?

Part mods work fine

5 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

So guys! Unrelated issue to Tantares,  but I imagine you are the correct crowd to ask this. 

1.5 wasn't nearly as big of an update as 1.4, it really only updated the EVA suits and textures of stock parts.

There is a long-standing stock bug in KSP which may make the FGB fairings a little tricky as intended, and can result in borked crafts.

I've opened a bug on the tracker here, and would really appreciate it if anybody could lend their experience with this issue.

The effect of this bug in practice is, you can have very sleek and cool fairings:

GxuLnqB.png

But without careful stage setup, you will probably arrive at a glitched interstage that cannot be removed.

CGbkivp.png

Edited by Beale

It's so cool to build a station like a MIR step by step using Tantares parts mostly! I had lunch 6 Protons and 4 Soyuzes in career mode with x6.4 rescale and SMURF. :cool:

By the way, why Tantares-LV Proton has so poor Delta-V in time? I couldn't lunch more than 7.5 tons of payload to the low orbit, 112 km upper. I can lunch 6.5 tons with Tantares-LV Soyuz easy. :confused: Or it's x6.4 rescale issue?

Spoiler

IcW2uOy7dB8.jpg

3 hours ago, StriZ said:

It's so cool to build a station like a MIR step by step using Tantares parts mostly! I had lunch 6 Protons and 4 Soyuzes in career mode with x6.4 rescale and SMURF. :cool:

By the way, why Tantares-LV Proton has so poor Delta-V in time? I couldn't lunch more than 7.5 tons of payload to the low orbit, 112 km upper. I can lunch 6.5 tons with Tantares-LV Soyuz easy. :confused: Or it's x6.4 rescale issue?

Hide contents

IcW2uOy7dB8.jpg

Awesome station! The accuracy is very nice.

Regarding the Proton, this sounds like a rescale issue most likely - the thing is usually way overpowered on the plain game (Maybe 40 tons or so to low orbit? :confused:).

On 10/23/2018 at 9:34 PM, Beale said:

Kind of to address all the middle points, the basic plan is to resize the upper stage to 1.875m (Same as the boosters), it looks pretty good in proportion. Options will be included for 1.25m and additional options for 1.5m (You can thank a certain plucky Canadian for this one). 

<snip>

Ak5BVJg.png (Soyuz with 1.875m upper stage)

I hope the "E for Exact" meshes will still be around? Because honestly, they're the best.

6 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Nice! By the way, that black thing in the middle is the unmanned control unit, as I understand... But is it a disc or a ring like the one on S-IVB?

Many thanks!

Well not to ruin the magic, but I don't know myself yet!

fOcsPC2.png

2 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

I hope the "E for Exact" meshes will still be around? Because honestly, they're the best.

Indeed yes :) 

Here's a little something in the form of subassemblies that I made to make my life easier and my launches better looking. Glory to @AlphaMensae!

R7 on launch clamp Soyuz on launch clamp Soyuz on launch pad Proton on launch pad Zenith on launch pad
sjKkeEq.jpg uaazwCh.jpg RUWEIRO.jpg ESWQyr9.png vTy3F5S.png
If you find it tedious to build your R7 out of little pieces, here is a ready-baked one on an early career launch stand. Press 0 to retract the fuel arm.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         What was said about the R7 on the left remains true for the Soyuz rocket. Here is a ready-baked one on an early career launch stand. Press 0 to retract the crew access tower, 9 and 8 to retract the fuel arms.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Same as previous, but now on a fancy launch pad (which also takes a ton of time to build). Press 0 to retract the service towers, 9 and 8 to retract the fuel arms.                                   If you ever get bored of building your Proton rocket out of those big pieces, here is a ready-baked one on a fancy launch pad (which also takes a ton of time to build). This is pure fiction, since real Protons are serviced from mobile towers, but this will surely come in handy if you decide to launch something crewed on top of yours! Crew access arm optimised for the Tantares TKS. If you find it tedious to build your Zenith rocket out of those four big pieces (highly unlikely) or want something nice to stand by its side for launch (waaay more likely), here is a ready-baked one on a fancy launch pad. This is pure fiction, since real Zeniths are serviced from mobile towers, but this will surely come in handy if you decide to launch something crewed on top of yours!

Edited by TK-313

I think you might be interested in this:
Rus_big.jpg

This is a list of various "improved Soyuz" variants proposed over the years. Most of them never went anywhere, but to me, this screams "KSP".  My proposal is to keep the "BDB-compliant" 1.5m Soyuz design and scale the spacecraft to it, while having the 1.875m setup as either a separate part or a variant. RD-0124 could have its skirt size changeable using the part variant system, as to work on either diameter. This could possibly be complemented by a 1.5m lower core with appropriate adapters, resulting in a nice, fully featured 1.5m lineup and a possibility to put the rocket together in any way one might want. Another variant, not listed here, is Yamal:
Yamal.jpg
Also a canceled project, but a cool one. The boosters would be 1.5m (same tank as the core, in fact). Engines on Yamal and most others are NK-33s, with the core also having the RD-0110R (a quad vernier derived from RD-0110) around it. Geos-Yamal, ex Yamal and Soyuz-M used RD-120, while Onega had the RD-191. The upper stage is typically RD-0124, except for the 3.7m ones, which are LH2 stages. There are three sizes in here, but for KSP purposes, I think that a single 1.875m size for "Soyuz-M" family would do just fine (none of them were ever built, anyway, except for Soyuz-2.1v).

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Here's a little something in the form of subassemblies that I made to make my life easier and my launches better looking. Glory to @AlphaMensae!

These are beautiful! Many thanks for sharing them. @AlphaMensae you did a really nice job!

15 hours ago, yuri_3a3rin said:

are you thinking about adding the Ur series

Just the UR-500 currently, but no plans for anything else.

I have worked on the grey variant some more.

hLUkyvZ.png
U6W5keS.png
TKusnEl.jpg

WIP

kfc7Dh2.png
v8HVgrj.png

Edited by Beale

@Beale Thanks very much!

The big Soyuz pad is the oldest one of mine, and while it was given a partial remake for the initial release of Modular Launch Pads, it's due for a full remake as it's still largely assembled in Unity out of custom-made small bits.  I also want to make the two main service arms that envelop the upper part.  And add a 6-way setup for Proton. :)

A moment of thought after reading the Wiki article about the Soyuz in Russian.

Older ships:

The engine setup consisted of 24 mooring and orientation engines <...> and the approach and corrections engine with 300 kgf (approx. 2.95 kN) of thrust . The ships 7К-ОК and 7К-Т were equipped with the corrections and braking engine unit KDTU-35 with 4 kN of thrust and 282 seconds ISP.

Newer ships:

For the Soyuz TM the new KDTU-80 engine unit was designed, with the same thrust power, but several thrust modes and 286—326 seconds ISP. The backup engine was removed and the mooring and orientation engines used the same fuel system as the approach and corrections engine.

TL/DR: the new Soyuz service module had the same thrust and higher ISP and the new RCS system ran, in kerbal terms, on LF/O instead of monoprop. Not sure if an appropriate config change would be really appropriate, but, IMO, that's at least something to think about for a moment.

38 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

TL/DR: the new Soyuz service module had the same thrust and higher ISP and the new RCS system ran, in kerbal terms, on LF/O instead of monoprop. Not sure if an appropriate config change would be really appropriate, but, IMO, that's at least something to think about for a moment.

A shame there is no UDMH / NTO analogue for KSP. But yes, this would be a nice option to have. Ideally every RCS block should have a Mono and LFO variant (separate nozzle colour maybe?).

96GsYtL.png
UjBQ09Y.png Notice anything? :wink: 
UkrMrFG.png
zm8hJSf.png

Edited by Beale

14 minutes ago, Beale said:

A shame there is no UDMH / NTO analogue for KSP. But yes, this would be a nice option to have. Ideally every RCS block should have a Mono and LFO variant (separate nozzle colour maybe?).

Well, there's always the option of leaving the RCS blocks to run on monoprop and the MOE ones to use LF/O. Plus, it will add some difference between them other than cosmetic. Plus, if we were to follow that road to the end, the service modules would change a bit: T-75K would carry (and use) both LF/O and monoprop instead of monoprop only, while T-85K would only have LF/O for both its engine and RCS.