[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

9 hours ago, Beale said:

Vega Node A is deprecated (should be in release notes).

Vega_Crew_B should very much still be there, can you check re-installation?

Next version! 

Great stuff! :) 

I reinstalled it and it works great :)

Edited by [MG]Atlas
Wrong Word

Hello. From what I have seen this is an impressive pack, however when I installed it. Only a few parts showed up instead of the full layout. I do have other mods installed (KAX, Mech Jeb, B9, KSI, and Dark Multiplayer), would having these mods cause a conflict?

9 hours ago, Zoltar98 said:

Hello. From what I have seen this is an impressive pack, however when I installed it. Only a few parts showed up instead of the full layout. I do have other mods installed (KAX, Mech Jeb, B9, KSI, and Dark Multiplayer), would having these mods cause a conflict?

Double check your installation (or better yet, completely reinstall the mod) to make sure everything copied correctly. That's usually the biggest thing that goes wrong.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Double check your installation (or better yet, completely reinstall the mod) to make sure everything copied correctly. That's usually the biggest thing that goes wrong.

Deleted the mod. Looks like everything went through on the download. Just to be sure I simply put the Tantaras folder into game data? Or do I also throw in the alternate textures? Another note, I did replace my settings.config with astro improvement, could that be a problem as well?

2 minutes ago, Zoltar98 said:

Deleted the mod. Looks like everything went through on the download. Just to be sure I simply put the Tantaras folder into game data? Or do I also throw in the alternate textures? Another note, I did replace my settings.config with astro improvement, could that be a problem as well?

Take the GameData folder from the zip and put it in your KSP folder (so the gamedata from Tantares merges). You do not need to throw in the alternate textures.

Also, the rocket parts are in the separate Tantares LV download that is linked in the first page. The normal part pack only has the 'payload' parts, capsules and station parts etc.

I don't know what the astro thing is, sorry. I couldn't say if that would make a difference.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Take the GameData folder from the zip and put it in your KSP folder (so the gamedata from Tantares merges). You do not need to throw in the alternate textures.

Also, the rocket parts are in the separate Tantares LV download that is linked in the first page. The normal part pack only has the 'payload' parts, capsules and station parts etc.

I don't know what the astro thing is, sorry. I couldn't say if that would make a difference.

Ah gotcha, downloading the LV file now as well. the Astro configure was a altered settings config to try and boost performance, playing this game on the Mac.

3 hours ago, Zoltar98 said:

Ah gotcha, downloading the LV file now as well. the Astro configure was a altered settings config to try and boost performance, playing this game on the Mac.

Another Mac-user here! Short off-topic: where's that astro config? Google didn't help ;) .

On 1/26/2016 at 0:08 AM, tjsnh said:

Re: No-door crew compartment for TKS - thank you - this part will be very valuable, moddable as a fuel tank.

On 1/26/2016 at 3:40 AM, DGatsby said:

Maybe just one little window? So we visually know what it is? 

Interesting feedback, but I think a window is needed. Maybe too confusing it is a crew part without that kind of identification?

19628482a9.jpg
a4aeaa39f1.jpg

5 hours ago, Beale said:

Interesting feedback, but I think a window is needed. Maybe too confusing it is a crew part without that kind of identification?

Exactly. This is a game with many grey cylinders; a little window helps to visually separate it from the other parts and is a perfect little minimalist touch. 

3 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

@BealeSo how do you get crew into or out of those new FGB parts with no hatch and no IVA? They do look amazing though!

ps: where did you get those sweet solar panels on the Shenzhou?

Everything has a placeholder IVA now :)

But, also, since the latest version, you can right-click the part to transfer crew.

For solar panels, you will have to ask @curtquarquesso.

2 hours ago, tjsnh said:

Very excited about that new decoupler!

All we need is that 1.875 nosecone! ;)

Done!*

*Not done.

06696a8481.jpg

Spektr

3edb907e7b.jpg
36de24ea99.jpg

Edited by Beale

39 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

But the real Spektr wasn't that... what is it... curved. It went straight down to a point.

You're right!

But, the current part exists and I want to replace it without breaking saves.

There can be a correct Spektr part without breaking saves :)

It also was non-symmetrical? 

Mir_Spektr_module.gif

The current part is based from this (wrong? / earlier?) design.

4253bdc393.png

Edited by Beale

I'm pretty sure that last picture of Spektr is based on the original design of Spektr, before the Soviet Union fell and it was discarded and redesigned. Why don't we ask a good friend of mine, @Niemand303, who will totally know the answer to that.

And on asymmetry... I don't think so.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

On January 27, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Beale said:

19628482a9.jpga4aeaa39f1.jpg

I'm not totally sure if the window is the best way to define that a module is or isn't a crew module, but I don't have a better idea, so it'll probably have to do for now. Beats me...
I've took a look at the current parts and matched them to orthographics, and so far, they all look really good!

TOgHtf7.png

otn5VCt.png

I threw together two parts out of existing parts that fill some gaps, and make it work perfectly. At the end of the TKS docking module, I took the Vega_NodeSupport_A structure, and turned it into a shorter cylindrical structural part. Could be handy, or not, but it does fill the gap quite literally. 

Even though it's a placeholder, you'll need either an adapter plate, or a module with a curved or sloped bulkhead to adapt the 1.875m working compartment to the 1.25m tunnel. Also, either you'll need to shorten the current Vega_Control_C module, or make another one entirely that's shorter in length to make it look reasonable.

I laid it all out next to TKS orthographics as well, and it all works really well.

3 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

ps: where did you get those sweet solar panels on the Shenzhou?

Near Future Solar by Nearta. Make sure you install the WindowShine patch that makes them reflective. 

7 hours ago, Beale said:

Cygnus.

@curtquarquesso has continued to work on the Cygnus, with beautiful results!

I forgot to post this earlier :wink: 

snip awesome album here

CYGNUS

Yep. It's true. I've taken on Cygnus again. The best is none too good. Unfortunately, the best usually yields the much-dreaded off-size. The front node is a comfortable 1.25m as expected, the main body of the PCM is more or less 1.875m due to it's lumpiness, but the service module is where things get ugly. 1.25m is definitely too small, as is 1.5m really. Best I could do was ghastly 1.7m. Anything bigger or smaller just looks stupid. The solution may be to do what I did on the previous revamp, and chop the bottom of the PCM off and stick it onto the SM so that the top of the SM is 1.875m at the top node much like the current one. Also like the current one, the bottom of the SM will have a 1.25m fairing that will sit onto the Castor 30XL and it's decoupler. Thoughts? Sound logical?

It all scales pretty well I believe with the Antares/PLV. We just have to decide on if the Antares/PLV should become a 2.5m rocket or not. 

WbYmYPo.png

The RCS bits will have to get worked in somehow. I've made some great options made specifically for mounting at 45º, as well as for the ATV. I don't think we need all of them, but I'd like to know which ones you'd all find useful, and which ones are meh. 
G8Bo4VC.png

As for the circular solar panels, I confess they're not mine. They're from Lionhead Aerospace. As it stands, @Yogui87 has been AWOL from the forums for nearly 9 months, so I don't think it'd be crazy to just give them a Tantares retexture, and re-write the configs, most of which I've already done. Moreover, Yogui had all his work under the same license Beale uses, so that'd be one less thing to worry about. Might just give that add-on a bit of new life. 

1JtZigj.png

The only thing left to do are a bit of balance, some smoothing out of the RCS thrusters in Unity to get the multi-nozzle thing to work, and a good texture pass by Beale when he has the time. Surprisingly,  the existing texture wrapped to the all-new model fairly well. I can't even imagine what it'll look like with a proper texture, let alone some PBR SHADER GOODESS... All of this is beyond my ability for the moment as I don't have a copy of Photoshop.

Let me know what you all think about it. It's only worth releasing if there's actually a need or want for it. 

5 hours ago, Beale said:

You're right!

But, the current part exists and I want to replace it without breaking saves.

There can be a correct Spektr part without breaking saves :)

It also was non-symmetrical? 

Mir_Spektr_module.gif

The current part is based from this (wrong? / earlier?) design.

4253bdc393.png

Actually, the lower print isn't an early version of Spektr, it looks different from what early version supposed to look like.

The early Spektr had no conical upper part, it had an instrumentation mount on top. So that could be an erroneous drawing. I'd check the photos of Mir made from STS for that.

1 hour ago, Niemand303 said:

Actually, the lower print isn't an early version of Spektr, it looks different from what early version supposed to look like.

The early Spektr had no conical upper part, it had an instrumentation mount on top. So that could be an erroneous drawing. I'd check the photos of Mir made from STS for that.

Neither are totally correct. I have what I think is a correct scan here somewhere on my hard drives. Give me a few minutes to find it. Some drawings outline just structure, and she include the thermal fabric that smoothed out the shape to what it looks like externally. 

All I know is that the conical section isn't manned or pressurized, it's simply a structure housing the motors for the solar panels and the science instruments present. That isn't to say that we can't have a manned pressurized module, but the real deal was just structure. 

EDIT:
Here's all I've got at the moment.
 http://ciudad-futura.net/mir/

Spektr Module Unpressurized Section: (wire grating is a stand-in for the solar arrays)

Spoiler

fig11.jpg

Older Spektr and Priroda Configurations that ended up being altered:

Spoiler

WnM29Tv.png

Edited by curtquarquesso

9 hours ago, Niemand303 said:

9 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

Neither are totally correct. I have what I think is a correct scan here somewhere on my hard drives. Give me a few minutes to find it. Some drawings outline just structure, and she include the thermal fabric that smoothed out the shape to what it looks like externally. 

All I know is that the conical section isn't manned or pressurized, it's simply a structure housing the motors for the solar panels and the science instruments present. That isn't to say that we can't have a manned pressurized module, but the real deal was just structure. 

EDIT:
Here's all I've got at the moment.
 http://ciudad-futura.net/mir/

Spektr Module Unpressurized Section: (wire grating is a stand-in for the solar arrays)

Older Spektr and Priroda Configurations that ended up being altered:

Thanks for the great information!

It seems what I have been modelling as a window is actually a mount for solar panels, stupid mistake on my part!

c0eb9e35ea.png

I think the Spektr has a very interesting top shape, it is not a point, or not close to the current shape, it is a little like this (but  more short):

Best comparison I can think of... Iced juice holder.

Silicone_Ice_Pop_Mold_and_Freeze_Pop.jpg

Edited by Beale

Beale, if you have any good webpages or other sources for reference on TKS + Functional Cargo Block can you please forward them to me? My Big G project has developed some interesting political sympathies... :P

(Same for Salyut, though I think I can just trawl through the Salyut update pages on the thread)

Edited by CobaltWolf