[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Ehm... I am not sure, in that case.

Vostok stage - not done yet.

I am more or less in a position to release, it all works right now.

Still need to do:

-part prices.

-LES.

-Verniers(Maybe not needed?).

Probes - I am interested, maybe in a science probe. Ehm, but maybe dedicated probe building packs provide a better experience :)

Thankyou :)

I agree, when taking other parts into consideration.

Interesting, you can see the colour really well there.

So, is it due to the storage of LOX, or the lovely Russian weather?

Probes are needed especially science ones because i dont know any probe building pack good enough.

Probes - I am interested, maybe in a science probe. Ehm, but maybe dedicated probe building packs provide a better experience :)

Talking about probe thingies, I'd suggest making a Fregat stage and probably Molniya, Luna-15/16 or something from Venera program. :)

That's definitely LOX, Russian weather is way overrated. :)

Especially, in Kazakhstan's deserts, where it's hotter than in Mediterranean. :wink:

BTW, I like the new colour scheme. :)

Probes are needed especially science ones because i dont know any probe building pack good enough.

Perhaps, probes do not take so long to make + I have a few ideas :)

Talking about probe thingies, I'd suggest making a Fregat stage and probably Molniya, Luna-15/16 or something from Venera program. :)

That's definitely LOX, Russian weather is way overrated. :)

Especially, in Kazakhstan's deserts, where it's hotter than in Mediterranean. :wink:

BTW, I like the new colour scheme. :)

Thanks!

It had escaped me that they are launched from Kazakhstan and not Russia :blush:

I think Venera would be interesting. I have never visited Eve's surface myself... It would be a reason.

Pretty stoked for the R7! Awesome!

Thanks!

Here is a Beta Download of R7

It is flight worthy, but lacks a certain amount of polish (Fairings, LES, Tech)

dc0ddf938c.jpg

Edited by Beale

It's kind of weird but I only get 2 parts in the game. The Tavio SA(1) and the CEM(B) engine, though all the files are in the folder.

I see now: The other parts' own folders have these two's .mbm files. Is that intentional cause of the beta?

Edited by Reddragon

Probably both. Cold tanks and lots of humidity to condensate on the tanks. Further speculation: less insulation than on H2 tanks used by many US ops, and color schemes that exaggerate the effect. Also, compare same rocket, but launching from French Guiana (more likely closer in climate/humidity to KSC?):

r845146_7925388.jpg

EDIT: actually, either that's very dependent on the weather, or the lighting in that photo is *not* first miliseconds of a launch, and therefore not fueled. See: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Launchers/Launch_vehicles/Soyuz.

EDIT: also, in unrelated news, soyuz assembled American-style: http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/images/esa_multimedia/images/2011/10/soyuz_on_launch_pad/9942240-2-eng-GB/Soyuz_on_launch_pad_medium.jpg

Edited by ModZero

It's kind of weird but I only get 2 parts in the game. The Tavio SA(1) and the CEM(B) engine, though all the files are in the folder.

I see now: The other parts' own folders have these two's .mbm files. Is that intentional cause of the beta?

Hi! All the other parts aside from the two you mention use model nodes to share textures. Thus, it is very important you place the TLV folder in the right place - direct alongside the ALV folder. :) hope this helps

Edit: Yes, it is intentional. the MBMs in the other part folders are ~4kB

Probably both. Cold tanks and lots of humidity to condensate on the tanks. Further speculation: less insulation than on H2 tanks used by many US ops, and color schemes that exaggerate the effect. Also, compare same rocket, but launching from French Guiana (more likely closer in climate/humidity to KSC?):

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201110/r845146_7925388.jpg

EDIT: actually, either that's very dependent on the weather, or the lighting in that photo is *not* first miliseconds of a launch, and therefore not fueled. See: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Launchers/Launch_vehicles/Soyuz.

EDIT: also, in unrelated news, soyuz assembled American-style: http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/images/esa_multimedia/images/2011/10/soyuz_on_launch_pad/9942240-2-eng-GB/Soyuz_on_launch_pad_medium.jpg

Interesting, and thanks for the info. I had no idea there were launches from French Guiana. I might take a look at the textures again, maybe add some darker bands

Edited by Beale

Hi! All the other parts aside from the two you mention use model nodes to share textures. Thus, it is very important you place the TLV folder in the right place - direct alongside the ALV folder. :) hope this helps

Oops! Thanks, it wasn't in the TantaresLV folder. Now it's fine.

Interesting, and thanks for the info. I had no idea there were launches from French Guiana.

Yes, there are! ESA is launching Soyuz rockets from Kourou independently.

Oops! Thanks, it wasn't in the TantaresLV folder. Now it's fine.

Yes, there are! ESA is launching Soyuz rockets from Kourou independently.

Great! :)

I herd U like ships....

Edit: but only unmanned, Kourou has a more equatorial location, but Soyuz descent module is not suited for sea landing. It once fell in a lake and it took 9 hours to retrieve it.

Wow, what a route!

I guess it is quicker to go Samara>St Petersburg and through the Fjords than through the Mediterranean? I would like one of those ships to come past my home country :D

Hmm... so Russian ships can sail through Scandinavia and Scotland. That's an astonishing technology!

Of course it can! It is a rocket ship! HueHueHue

Edited by Beale

Perhaps, probes do not take so long to make + I have a few ideas :)

Thanks!

It had escaped me that they are launched from Kazakhstan and not Russia :blush:

I think Venera would be interesting. I have never visited Eve's surface myself... It would be a reason.

Thanks!

Here is a Beta Download of R7

It is flight worthy, but lacks a certain amount of polish (Fairings, LES, Tech)

http://puu.sh/cV2qs/dc0ddf938c.jpg

Nice i l really prefer probes over manned thx!

Wow! That's wonderful! I hope, you'll chose "Vega" or "Mars-3" (I haven't seen these probes anywhere).

The main interesting thing in "Vega" is, of course, it's air probe. Interesting, that before visit Venus "Vega-1" and "Vega-2" performed the Halley comet flyby!

vega9.jpg

And what about "Mars-3"? That's realy interesting thing! Ermm... In plan. In fact this probe was working on the surface of Mars only 15 seconds. Why does this probe is interesting? It was equipped with the first martian rover! Or walker... Shortly, "PrOP-M". Here is an interesting film (If you want to see "Mars-3"- timecode is 1:23 and 8:00)

BTW, if you're looking for light satellite LV, then consider my favorite:

http://youtu.be/XwvNuZLASdE

It's silo-based, so not entirely practical in KSP, but the entirely ridiculous ejection system is worth it :-)

As you say, not very practical! But, yeah that is a pretty violent launch system.

The one thing I would love to replicate there is the sound.

Does the R7 work in 0.24.2?

It should... I cannot support it if it doesn't, however, sorry :(

Ever since i found this launchsite:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92535 I've been launching all Russian related rockets from there.

It looks very nice.

I do like Kosmodrome very much. I have done a few launches from it.

I think the models are directly taken from Orbiter, the Baikonur mod, which causes a few of the graphic assets (especially the launch trench) to look a bit blocky.

Still, it is great, and I think the only "complete" alternative to KSC.

Wow! That's wonderful! I hope, you'll chose "Vega" or "Mars-3" (I haven't seen these probes anywhere).

The main interesting thing in "Vega" is, of course, it's air probe. Interesting, that before visit Venus "Vega-1" and "Vega-2" performed the Halley comet flyby!

http://www.laspace.ru/rus/images/vega9.jpg

And what about "Mars-3"? That's realy interesting thing! Ermm... In plan. In fact this probe was working on the surface of Mars only 15 seconds. Why does this probe is interesting? It was equipped with the first martian rover! Or walker... Shortly, "PrOP-M". Here is an interesting film (If you want to see "Mars-3"- timecode is 1:23 and 8:00)

The Mars-3! Yes, I know of this only from playing "Take on Mars". The Prop-M rover (skid-walker?) is very cute also (Not sure how I could make that without a plugin).

Both a Generic "Venera-x" and "Mars-x" would be great to have really. That means you can take Tantares parts from Sputnik 1 > Vostok > Interplanetary exploration.

For those unaware of the Prop-M:

PrOP-M-green-x640.jpg

A tiny metal box with two "legs" on the side.

It would be able to depart from the lander (attached by a tether for power) and walk (or crawl) for a short distance taking surface sample.

Sadly it never saw action as Mars-2 was a failure and Mars-3 a partial failure (Prop-M not deployed). Meaning there were no other attempts at mars rovers until almost thirty years later with Sojourner.

Edited by Beale

Some feedback on the TLV: I think Engine A is glaringly overpowered (both too much thrust and too efficient) but the rest of the pack looks great to me and works just fine. My laptop appreciates the use of one shared texture too. :D

I need to work on getting a proper Korolev Cross with the rocket, so far it's proving a bit... messy. If I have any success I'll post a screenshot or two!

Edited by Tapejara

Some feedback on the TLV: I think Engine A is glaringly overpowered (both too much thrust and too efficient) but the rest of the pack looks great to me and works just fine. My laptop appreciates the use of one shared texture too. :D

I need to work on getting a proper Korolev Cross with the rocket, so far it's proving a bit... messy. If I have any success I'll post a screenshot or two!

Thanks for the feedback there! :cool:

I am inclined to agree, a TWR of 4.0 on liftoff, though very fun, is a little mad.

Efficiency is a strange point for me, currently the Engine A is comparable to the mainsail in efficiency, but perhaps it could be lower.

I'll need to experiment, but I'm thinking new figures in the region on:

Mass:unchanged

Thrust: 250-300

ISP: 300atm-340va?

The "Korolev mess" is a result of the still-broken radial decoupler module. Which is absolutely infuriating. I'll need to find an alternative.

I really like the powered decouplers seen in the SpaceY pack, so maybe something along those lines.

If you can get the first stage above 750m/s, you can see the decouplers magically work again and you can achieve a proper Korolev cross.

4259a98fa4.jpg

4e5b2d1f84.jpg

It's fairly hard with anything more than a Sputnik as the payload, however.

Boy I wish I knew Russian, cool video though

Hehe, I know that feeling!

Edited by Beale

I am inclined to agree, a TWR of 4.0 on liftoff, though very fun, is a little mad.

Efficiency is a strange point for me, currently the Engine A is comparable to the mainsail in efficiency, but perhaps it could be lower.

The "Korolev mess" is a result of the still-broken radial decoupler module. Which is absolutely infuriating. I'll need to find an alternative.

I really like the powered decouplers seen in the SpaceY pack, so maybe something along those lines.

If you can get the first stage above 750m/s, you can see the decouplers magically work again and you can achieve a proper Korolev cross.

Ah, now you mention it I remember hearing about that bug on another thread somewhere. I'll bear that in mind, thanks!

AFAIK Squad increased the Mainsail ISP recently so that it would remain useful alongside the NASA parts. I don't know if they succeeded with that, but either way I wouldn't use the Mainsail as a benchmark- it's not the overheating gas-guzzler it used to be.

To be honest, I don't think you should change the thrust that much or if you do, maybe to 300 rather than anything lower. Engines are tweakable so is somebody want to use them with lower thrust, they can just lower it in game. But to build a 3 stage rocket (Zenit, Dnepr...) without the boosters 250 max. might not be enough for moderately heavy payloads.