[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

more adventures with the tantares. this time, we're going home!

-snip-

Wonderful gallery! Pretty funny as well :) . The first caption is a reminder that my English (Scottish?) is still not so good :D .

must this legs be with suspension?

I experimented with static landing legs, but they seemed a lot more wobbly than the stock ones, so... For now, yes :(

I think the real LK had fixed (or at least very rigid) landing legs?

Just to show what I've built :D

-snip-

But guess I rescale the parts up to 2m diameter for my self. It's a litle bit to small for my taste.

Awesome to see it can be scaled up :) . Do the IVAs and stuff still work right?

The Tantares docked to Serenity Station

http://i.imgur.com/93sZY6l.jpg

It is still the first release, I should launch an updated craft

Nice station! It is weird to see the first release version, I've deleted all trace of it from my computer.

Maybe you have one of the last copies in existence!

I love this stuff, do make more.

edit: posted the question in the devthread.

Answered :)

Edited by Beale

...Nice station! It is weird to see the first release version, I've deleted all trace of it from my computer.

Maybe you have one of the last copies in existence!

I've kept it too. I rather like the green/grey color.

Okay, the release is very soon. :)

I need to tweak balancing (the old was a bit off, large solar panels before even the basic ones).

With new fuel amounts and nerfed ISPs, both the Tantares and Libra are more realistic options for a Munar mission.

What are peoples opinions on what the D2 should be capable of? I've placed its parts various in the tech tree, but generally it is a late-game vehicle.

D2 IVAs are finished. Also changed the fairings a bit, much fewer lighting issues with a single monolithic piece that just "slides" off.

77b9eaed1b.jpg3009bff04e.jpg

4d4624d5f3.jpg4b55f50a4c.jpg659e471ed8.jpg64c9749223.jpg

Edited by Beale

Awesome to see it can be scaled up :) . Do the IVAs and stuff still work right?

It's not rescaled atm, but I'll try it via the rescale parameter in the part.cfg.

Was bussy with docking two of it on my (K)ISS.

p27g1c9.jpg

Okay, the release is very soon. :)

I need to tweak balancing (the old was a bit off, large solar panels before even the basic ones).

With new fuel amounts and nerfed ISPs, both the Tantares and Libra are more realistic options for a Munar mission.

What are peoples opinions on what the D2 should be capable of? I've placed its parts various in the tech tree, but generally it is a late-game vehicle.

Personally, i'd be fine with it just being an alternative to Tantares.

Personally, i'd be fine with it just being an alternative to Tantares.

Yeah, it is in the same ball-park :) . Engineer puts it at 1,250m/s.

On a somewhat related note...

c4985f33b9.jpg

I'm happy to say that the Apollo D2 "Spica CV" is released + Major balancing!

Thankyou for all the support people, I've loved seeing all the pictures of the mod in use and getting people's feedback!

It's not rescaled atm, but I'll try it via the rescale parameter in the part.cfg.

Was bussy with docking two of it on my (K)ISS.

-snip

That must be the biggest station I've ever seen! :confused:

What FPS do you get near it? Love to see Tantares used like the real Soyuz.

Edited by Beale

I haven't captioned it yet, but here are the photos from the Lunary Libra Korbaly 1.

http://imgur.com/a/HPCRT

Awesome! You've done what I just couldn't manage, a Mun landing / rendezvous without major trouble with the LK's fuel (or at least it looks like it... :wink:)

I think with new balancing there is a bit more margin for error with the extra ÃŽâ€v.

Nice job on the N1 also! I suppose the configuration is more like Apollo with lander and orbiter stacked on top of each other.

BTW: I love those Kerbal textures, are they yours? The "snoopy" hats are cool.

actually I didn't have enough fuel to do the re-orbit in the libra... so I had to do a bit of cheating.

those kerbal textures are mine, made a very long while back by someone that I can't remember. they made it for me after a request.

Aww crap you were faster than me :P

Well anyways, here is my version of the LK landing and return! Note i created my own LK, but the Soyuz LOK is yours :D

And i've just noticed that i don't have the re-entry pics, but anyways :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

N-1 courtesy of NovaPunch :D

Edited by SlimeCrusher
It was Soyuz LOK, not Soyuz LK

Hey, I'm loving this mod, but I had a quick question about the Spica engines, the 'CV-4C engine block' part. Are the engines supposed to be dual mode LFO and MonoProp? Seems kind of weird when you can forward thrust using RCS only and having the big engines also use RCS is kind of overkill. Or maybe there's some historical precedent that I'm not getting. Anyway, nice work so far! Stockalike parts are awesome and I'd love to see this pack keep growing.

EDIT: I also just noticed that the Tantares Soyuz replica also had an RCS thruster in its engine system, the 'TST Orbital Manouvering System'. I'm guessing it's intentional though, so was there a reason you did it this way? I kinda like that the Tantares version is just a small thruster for the MonoProp thrust, but on the CV-4C it still seems weird to have RCS shooting out the same four big engines that are used for LFO thrust.

Edited by novafire08

Hey, I'm loving this mod, but I had a quick question about the Spica engines, the 'CV-4C engine block' part. Are the engines supposed to be dual mode LFO and MonoProp? Seems kind of weird when you can forward thrust using RCS only and having the big engines also use RCS is kind of overkill. Or maybe there's some historical precedent that I'm not getting. Anyway, nice work so far! Stockalike parts are awesome and I'd love to see this pack keep growing.

EDIT: I also just noticed that the Tantares Soyuz replica also had an RCS thruster in its engine system, the 'TST Orbital Manouvering System'. I'm guessing it's intentional though, so was there a reason you did it this way? I kinda like that the Tantares version is just a small thruster for the MonoProp thrust, but on the CV-4C it still seems weird to have RCS shooting out the same four big engines that are used for LFO thrust.

Hi!

Yeah it is a bit of a weird fix. The reason is that both service modules contain three resources. It seems unless you have an extra module in the .CFG there's a huge VAB bug where the engine just inflates and takes up the whole screen.

For the extra module, I used RCS thruster. I know what you mean with both fuels using the same nozzles, a bit OP? It can make rendezvous tricky when you can accelerate forward so quickly, but aft not so quickly.

Maybe I'll find a more elegant solution in the future!

Aww crap you were faster than me :P

Well anyways, here is my version of the LK landing and return! Note i created my own LK, but the Soyuz LOK is yours :D

And i've just noticed that i don't have the re-entry pics, but anyways :P

http://imgur.com/a/YLXT7

N-1 courtesy of NovaPunch :D

Nice :cool:

Thank you for great stock alike mod. If you still want suggestions you could continue with some soviet space programme themed parts, for example station modules (inspired by Mir or Salyut) or Tantares resupply craft (like Progress). Also I would very much appreciate if you could add support for some popular mods such as Deadly Reentry and TAC Life Support.

That must be the biggest station I've ever seen! :confused:

What FPS do you get near it? Love to see Tantares used like the real Soyuz.

Thanks. Yeah, it's a litle bit laggy, but I try to hold the part count down as possible.

But the view pays of, when you see it orbit around :)

Btw I did the rescale...

left: 2m rescal, middle: stock 2.5m capsule, right: your original size

BPPlzXu.png

I know that you've just finished doing the D2, but it's never too early to request, eh?

could you make some saylut parts?

oh wait actually

to take the strain off of you, I could do the modelling

that way you would only have to do the textures.

does that work for you?

Thank you for great stock alike mod. If you still want suggestions you could continue with some soviet space programme themed parts, for example station modules (inspired by Mir or Salyut) or Tantares resupply craft (like Progress). Also I would very much appreciate if you could add support for some popular mods such as Deadly Reentry and TAC Life Support.

I am not at all familiar with TAC life support (I like the idea of "hardcore" mods, but after hours to create a totally broken remoteTech network I gave up)

, so in that case maybe / maybe not. What changes do I need to make to support it?

Deadly re-entry I would like to do and shouldn't be too hard. I haven't really used it, but doesn't it come with heat-shield / separators in the DR pack?

I think my craft is a bit "odd" in the hardcore scene? It is too small, maybe that is where the kind word by acc comes in...

Progress like craft - definitely!

Salyut - next up!

Thanks. Yeah, it's a litle bit laggy, but I try to hold the part count down as possible.

But the view pays of, when you see it orbit around :)

Btw I did the rescale...

left: 2m rescal, middle: stock 2.5m capsule, right: your original size

-snips-

Hmmm, it does look okay being that big... Maybe I will play around myself. Thank-you for this!

I know that you've just finished doing the D2, but it's never too early to request, eh?

could you make some saylut parts?

oh wait actually

to take the strain off of you, I could do the modelling

that way you would only have to do the textures.

does that work for you?

I hate to jump the gun, but I started on Salyut 1 straight after D2, the models are almost done, I do some textures and then tease.

Very kind offer though. What modelling software do you use?

I plan functionality to be a bit like stock science lab, you know?

Despite being a CS degree I have never made a plugin yet :blush: . I had the idea of making something like a "long-term" crew report that you could do every week for science.

Edited by Beale

I use google sketchup with a .DAE exporter. (please don't kill me). people say that sketchup is the hardest and the worst modelling software out there, but I am very experienced with it. It's just the texturing and the programming that I find hard.

I use google sketchup with a .DAE exporter. (please don't kill me). people say that sketchup is the hardest and the worst modelling software out there, but I am very experienced with it. It's just the texturing and the programming that I find hard.

How could I kill the one making all these nice image albums? :sticktongue:

I think Sketchup is good for architecture and things, but for KSP, maybe not (though I think B9 is made with it?). You know I look at the models in your signature and they are very nice!

I used it when I first tried modelling, but no luck, texturing in it is almost impossible.

Have you tried Wings 3D?

It has a very similar look and feel to Sketchup and is easy to use, but with a nice UV map editor that makes texture creation very fast (automatically export "lines" for all the panels (I don't know how to word this) ).

It only took me about two days to learn its features. And my only previous experience was making strange cube shapes in Sketchup.

Also it lets you have complete control over polygon number, whereas Sketchup forces all cylinders to have too many sides.

Just my 2 cents :) .

Maybe some more experienced modders will cringe at my UV maps?

420d3f88bf.jpg

Edited by Beale