[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

That's great!

...And *you* obviously did all the hard work here. :)

One thing I'd request on that, if it's not too much trouble, is to make a more aerodynamic version of the fairings (blocking the hatch, and instead of having a hole for the pod window, just a window on the aeroshell. As you doubtless know I'm a giant realism nut, and I'd love to make as real a D2 as possible. :) (For funny "not actually made" values of real, obvs :) )

Beale, did You considered making Your Soyuz-inspired craft as 2.5m (widest part of service module) capsules ? I guess it would had much more roomy IVA's than real deal and lander could possibly fit crew of 2.

EDIT_1: Picture with Soyuz dimensions.

soyuz.descr.fig.2.jpg

2.5m version would't be much smaller (practically same) from Soyuz, but I'm curious if it would be possible to put crew of 3 side by side, Kerbals take quite a lot of space in full gear, despite being short... also docking ports would be wider than in Soyuz if stock docking port is used.

Edited by karolus10

That's great!

...And *you* obviously did all the hard work here. :)

One thing I'd request on that, if it's not too much trouble, is to make a more aerodynamic version of the fairings (blocking the hatch, and instead of having a hole for the pod window, just a window on the aeroshell. As you doubtless know I'm a giant realism nut, and I'd love to make as real a D2 as possible. :) (For funny "not actually made" values of real, obvs :) )

Thanks. I am considering making "doors" for the front hole and the window holes. When closed it would be a feature-less cylinder and they could be opened for EVA / observation.

only one word to describe this... Innovative!!! Awesome man; Looks good! The aero shell is pretty neat.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Beale, did You considered making Your Soyuz-inspired craft as 2.5m (widest part of service module) capsules ? I guess it would had much more roomy IVA's than real deal and lander could possibly fit crew of 2.

Hi!

Yes I did consider it, but here is my thinking on it: Given that the biggest diameter sized parts we have are 3.5m, I think having the Tantares 2.5m would make it look really big %-wise of the rocket? If I'm making any sense here.

Who knows, a 2.5m "Mega Tantares" seating 4 might be nice.

(This all being said, I had a look and it does look like the real Soyuz launcher is only slightly wider than the spacecraft, interesting...)

2.5m version would't be much smaller (practically same) from Soyuz, but I'm curious if it would be possible to put crew of 3 side by side, Kerbals take quite a lot of space in full gear, despite being short... also docking ports would be wider than in Soyuz if stock docking port is used.

The sizes could work. In a 2.5m Tantares, three Kerbal could definitely fit (three would fit in the 1.25m pod if I throw away all the instruments). I'd even say four kerbals would be a good number.

Edited by Beale

snip

"Fishbone"

From the TV series "Planetes".

snip

Don't know if i'm late with suggestions, but this would be so wonderful if you did that one. That concept seems ideal to fill the niche of ultra-light supply tugs, largely because of that retractable unpressurized cargo bay.

Don't know if i'm late with suggestions, but this would be so wonderful if you did that one. That concept seems ideal to fill the niche of ultra-light supply tugs, largely because of that retractable unpressurized cargo bay.

I'm a big fan of Planetes and the Fishbone is something I've wanted to do for a while, so maybe still. I'd likely make the cargo bay a KAS holder for putting parts in (You could fill it with small fuel tanks).

The D2 has an engine now at the very least. Though I'll release it as its own pack, it will include some Tantares parts, which can be merged if you download both craft.

e648563618.jpg61369fea77.jpg

I'm a big fan of Planetes and the Fishbone is something I've wanted to do for a while, so maybe still. I'd likely make the cargo bay a KAS holder for putting parts in (You could fill it with small fuel tanks).

That's wonderful, thanks for still considering the possibility (and high-five from another Planetes fan).

Other than the LK clone not being exact (Lacking orbital stage thing and having the structural things on the fuel tank), i really like this mod! I built an LK-Soyuz LOK and now all i need is to install an N-1 mod and send those to the Mun! Great job :D

Other than the LK clone not being exact (Lacking orbital stage thing and having the structural things on the fuel tank), i really like this mod! I built an LK-Soyuz LOK and now all i need is to install an N-1 mod and send those to the Mun! Great job :D

Thanks!

Yeah, the LK needed a few concessions to keep the parts multi-purpose.

I could have split the structure, fuel; but then it would be impossible to use these parts elsewhere really, so it became a single stage craft. Bobcat's LK is really good if you want the right staging.

Right, the D2 exterior is done :) .

I'd like to get people's opinions on it before I start with the IVA.

I've left the OM pretty bare, Its main use is as a battery and Kerbal storage.

RCS movement is okay. The craft sways a bit when translating.

ee955dc1ea.jpg426546d6d9.jpg

a97643b5d2.jpgaed5ffafd2.jpg

The thrust transforms are angled a bit, which I think looks pretty cool, if not as efficient.

One Major Problem!

The fairings go diagonally when being jettisoned, here is my code:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleJettison
jettisonName = Spica_Crew_1_Fairing_Left
bottomNodeName = top
isFairing = False
jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
jettisonForce = 10
jettisonDirection = 1 -1 1

}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleJettison
jettisonName = Spica_Crew_1_Fairing_Right
bottomNodeName = top
isFairing = False
jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
jettisonForce = 10
jettisonDirection = -1 1 -1

}

I've tried lots of combinations in jettisonDirection, but they wont go right any way.

http://imgur.com/a/nd3nn

thanks so much for the awesomeness that is tantares.

03241d102b.jpg

Makes me incredibly happy to see this mod getting use :) .

Shenzou parts might be a possibility, at a bare lazy minimum an alternate cylinder OM could replicate the look well.

Salyut also was suggested earlier in the thread, so maybe! (Boy, do I have a lot of requests now!)

BTW where does the name 'tantares' come from?

Picked a random star, was going to call the Mod "Antares", but:

• There's already a mod with that name
  • If the mod began with A, it would load before stock parts; I prefer mods that load after stock parts.

Not the most interesting origin, but there you go! :D

So, i was all happy to start the "MK - Soyuz MOK" thing to the Mun, i noticed that i didn't know how to assemble the whole thing, i searched for images but nothing, so i'll ask... What is bellow the fairing of the N-1? Is it just the LK docked with the MOK? If yes, wich one is up-side down? Or is it like Apollo in wich they're both facing upwards and then they decouple the lander and re-dock it while in orbit?

Also, the D2 looks awesome with that window! I can't wait to play with it!... And actually, what is it based on? :P

So, i was all happy to start the "MK - Soyuz MOK" thing to the Mun, i noticed that i didn't know how to assemble the whole thing, i searched for images but nothing, so i'll ask... What is bellow the fairing of the N-1? Is it just the LK docked with the MOK? If yes, wich one is up-side down? Or is it like Apollo in wich they're both facing upwards and then they decouple the lander and re-dock it while in orbit?

Also, the D2 looks awesome with that window! I can't wait to play with it!... And actually, what is it based on? :P

As for your assembly question, I have no idea sorry!

The D2 (or "CV" as it is in game) is based on the General Electric Apollo D2 spacecraft :) .

geapmoon.jpg

It's "thing" is that it keeps the aerodynamic fairing in orbit. There is some suspicion that the Soyuz design was stolen from this spacecraft.

Edited by Beale

Check this article, Soyuz 7K-LOK. At the bottom of the page is a diagram that shows how the spacecraft was stacked for launch. Basically Apollo style. The difference is that the soviets needed to EVA to board the LOK as there was no passage from the OM to the LOK. The other difference was that the Block-D booster for Lunar injection was retained and was to be utilized for the Lunar orbital capture and also to de-orbit the LOK.

@slimecrusher: what set did you decide to use for the N1? If you want something stock-like may I suggest SXT. I recently did an N1 style mission using it and it was a lot if fun, I was using my own command pods however. Although Beal's should work wonderfully as his LK pod loser to the actual thing than my own and his soyuz is built for two people, which fits the mission profile.

@beale: nice work on the D-2, you were able to get it made so quickly! :) Do you prefer older spacecraft to more modern ones? I admittedly like more retro rockets myself. :wink:

Edited by Orionkermin