[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

that new decoupler/heatsheild looks amazing! good job!

how's that TKS going? any pics?

TKS is unfortunately not much progress.

Here is the low down:

Tantares will be re-done. The new art style will be closer to stock than old one.

7377d594a8.jpg

This will mean much better IVA (no more empty shell with panels).

b984b983f2.jpg

Because the new Tantares is a new style (windows, details, etc.)

I would like to establish this style well, then create TKS (Think I'll call it the Alnair actually) in same new style.

All I have of TKS at the moment is shaping and scaling models.

It is a difficult beast, even with the new-found freedom of 1.875m parts.

e0cbe7c944.jpg

Scale is good! (New Tantares will be more or less exact same size as old one.)

26c1426b4f.jpg

I hope people understand. It is needed that things are all good before more content comes.

Edited by Beale

wait ... Tantares will be bigger now? 1.875m ?

No no!

Pardon my English it was worded wrong.

New Tantares will be the same size as the old Tantares, and this size is a good scale alongside TKS.

Sorry for confusion!

No no!

Pardon my English it was worded wrong.

New Tantares will be the same size as the old Tantares, and this size is a good scale alongside TKS.

Sorry for confusion!

thank Kod ... because i use the Tantares together with my Stock Soyuz TMA on my stock Soyuz 2-3 launcher .. and it's 1.25m on the last stage (by over 400 Parts for the Rocket without payload xD)

One thing, I did not know stock prop buttons had functions, can you give an example?

Stock prop buttons don't. There is InternalButtonLight InternalModule, which, to my knowledge, has never actually worked. :) They do have colliders, though, which allows one to repurpose them.

By the way, you can distribute the RPM version of the interior in the same download and people with RPM will see RPM while people without will see regular interiors: https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Making-an-IVA-that-works-both-with-and-without-RasterPropMonitor

As long as you don't make your own prop models, the memory penalty for doing that is a few kilobytes at most.

These are really interesting parts. I love the way you've done the Salyut look-alike.

Thanks! The IVA for Salyut is a little iffy, I think though.

Stock prop buttons don't. There is InternalButtonLight InternalModule, which, to my knowledge, has never actually worked. :) They do have colliders, though, which allows one to repurpose them.

By the way, you can distribute the RPM version of the interior in the same download and people with RPM will see RPM while people without will see regular interiors: https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Making-an-IVA-that-works-both-with-and-without-RasterPropMonitor

As long as you don't make your own prop models, the memory penalty for doing that is a few kilobytes at most.

Hey thanks a million for this! I will have a read.

It was daunting the thought of managing two separate IVA setups.

I love RPM, thanks for making it!

Edited by Beale

Bae Caught Me Decouplin'

I add Polaris Heatshield, huge improvement! I'm uploading new release now!

It decouples anything below, but remains attached to pod!

That's awesome! You're a modding fool! We're going to miss you when you go on hiatus soon. :)

Very nice! So these are scaled to 1.875m?

I will add a link, if you are happy with it (I see you have some trouble with the nodes, I would follow the recommendation of changing the configs).

Let me know :) .

Hey Beale! I edited the .cfg to fix the node issue with the Polaris structure piece. And yes, they are upscaled to 1.875 I think it's ready now, so if you want, go ahead and link it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jfiz2pwxq9u96x/Tantares%20Rescale.rar

Weird - I had a little trouble with the nodes "migrating", but not enough to pose a real problem.

But, relatively easy fix, no modeling required - the nodes are in the cfg.

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2575, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2575, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

The second number describes the vertical distance, so find that in the part and raise it a bit, then test it in game. Probably a much easier way to do it but this is low-skill ha ha.

Thanks again Kitworks! I just edited it, and reuploaded the files. Works great now!

well .. which is teh real one? :D

Not sure if its because of KSP, or because it's the only ship flying at the moment, or just long exposure... But I'm getting awfully fond of that lumpy little potato called Soyuz.

I've just spent about an hour playing with the new IVAs, very nice! One thing though, you may want to move the RPM displays closer to eye level... it makes my neck hurt just thinking about poor Jeb having to stare at this small screen between his feet :P

I've just spent about an hour playing with the new IVAs, very nice! One thing though, you may want to move the RPM displays closer to eye level... it makes my neck hurt just thinking about poor Jeb having to stare at this small screen between his feet :P

Yeah definitely! The current RPM was included "by accident" in the release, but I had decided, people can play with it if they want.

The Polaris definitely needs the RPMS moving onto the wall or somewhere closer.

Tantares IVA will have more along the lines of real Soyuz. That is, re-designed for two person.

01104767b3.jpg

Updated Deadly Reentry Patch (for Polaris Heatshield)

@PART[Tantares_Crew_1]

{

@maxTemp = 2300

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

direction = 0, -1, 0 // underside of fuselage

reflective = 0.25 // 25% of heat is ignored at correct angle

}

}

@PART[spica_Crew_1]

{

@maxTemp = 2300

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

}

}

@PART[Polaris_Heatshield_1]

{

@maxTemp = 1800

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

direction = 0, -1, 0

reflective = 0.05

ablative = AblativeShielding

loss

{

key = 650 0 0 0

key = 1000 320 0 0

key = 3000 400 0 0

}

dissipation

{

key = 300 0 0 0

key = 500 90 0 0

}

}

RESOURCE

{

name = AblativeShielding

amount = 1000

maxAmount = 1000

}

}

Heatshield value are the standard one used for a 2,5m heatshield enough for a interplanetary reentry.

hrm i noticed something strange: the service module of the taaatres got a bit lighter. the center of mass is at the decoupler bow. Or the mass of the orbital module was increased ... so i have to put the attitude RCS truster on the decoupler ring OR have to put additinal weight into the service module (4 mini yellow RCS tanks at the bottem)

Updated Deadly Reentry Patch (for Polaris Heatshield)

@PART[Tantares_Crew_1]

{

@maxTemp = 2300

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

}

}

@PART[spica_Crew_1]

{

@maxTemp = 2300

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

}

}

@PART[Polaris_Heatshield_1]

{

@maxTemp = 1800

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

direction = 0, -1, 0

reflective = 0.05

ablative = AblativeShielding

loss

{

key = 650 0 0 0

key = 1000 320 0 0

key = 3000 400 0 0

}

dissipation

{

key = 300 0 0 0

key = 500 90 0 0

}

}

RESOURCE

{

name = AblativeShielding

amount = 1000

maxAmount = 1000

}

}

Heatshield value are the standard one used for a 2,5m heatshield enough for a interplanetary reentry.

AH!

Totally slipped my mind.

I'll upload it A.S.A.P.

Thanks for the config! :D

EDIT: updated.

hrm i noticed something strange: the service module of the taaatres got a bit lighter. the center of mass is at the decoupler bow. Or the mass of the orbital module was increased ... so i have to put the attitude RCS truster on the decoupler ring OR have to put additinal weight into the service module (4 mini yellow RCS tanks at the bottem)

This is strange, I have not changed anything in the service module in a long time.

Could you read me the mass in the VAB, if possible? :)

Edited by Beale

Orbital module: 0,3

Command Module: 0,97

Service module: 2,15

I have the same values. Your issue sounds odd.

Here is my layout:

Though RCS is away from COM, the craft translates okay, with the Tantares' SAS turned on.

I think this has been forever an issue, but not appeared before today because of my reliance on SAS.

2ecd75910c.jpge78552f3f5.jpg

Recently added cargo module (Advanced Computing Orbital Module... computing what btw.?) could be extended with KAS support:

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleContainer

maxSize = 80

}

!NB: link to 1.875 rescale is invalid

Edited by Horus
additional info

Recently added cargo module (Advanced Computing Orbital Module... computing what btw.?) could be extended with KAS support:

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleContainer

maxSize = 80

}

!NB: link to 1.875 rescale is invalid

KAS support might be interesting...

For the download, it is hosted by DGatsby, not myself, so maybe this person have moved the link. I'll have to wait and see if it will return, sorry to say.