[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

21 hours ago, Deltac said:

Made a Mir station last night :D

Reveal hidden contents

7JQc2C2.png

xRVtCK1.png

FpyqLdy.png

All the little lights are from the KSO shuttle/station/other vehicles mod.  Helps me see the station when too far away and on the night side of Kerbin xP

Beautiful!

Really nice recreation. :) 

On 24/04/2017 at 9:16 PM, DJ Reonic said:

@BealeAre you planning to make the Upgraded Igla/Kurs double-cone antenna we see on Soyuz-T and later?

I see the pictures now, thanks @hendrack @Legcutter.

Yeah, I can probably bundle this with the existing little antenna (The MIR / FGB extending disc antenna).

Playing with fire...

FNnEISN.png
pIYz2ed.png

Just now, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

What's the best RCS configuration for the Soyuz? I know IRL it's only on the SM, and has two sections: one for translation and one for rotation. The problem is I can't get it to translate well to ksp.

I usually place one belt of four 4-way RCS thrusters around the ship's center of mass. For the Soyuz it's the frontmost end of the SM, right where it connects to the decoupler. Actually, with me they tend to end up on the decoupler itself :) Configuration tested by no less than a dozen dockings, works perfectly.

45 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

What's the best RCS configuration for the Soyuz? I know IRL it's only on the SM, and has two sections: one for translation and one for rotation. The problem is I can't get it to translate well to ksp.

20 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

I usually place one belt of four 4-way RCS thrusters around the ship's center of mass. For the Soyuz it's the frontmost end of the SM, right where it connects to the decoupler. Actually, with me they tend to end up on the decoupler itself :) Configuration tested by no less than a dozen dockings, works perfectly.

Exactly as TK-313 says myself.

Lately I have been having thoughts about the RCS though, both FX and types available, some more would be useful.

Bigger FGB RCS too.

Edited by Beale

17 hours ago, Beale said:

Beautiful!

Really nice recreation. :) 

I see the pictures now, thanks @hendrack @Legcutter.

Yeah, I can probably bundle this with the existing little antenna (The MIR / FGB extending disc antenna).

Playing with fire...

*snippity-do-da*

With that antenna and the rest of the Igla system, as well as the window thingy referenced earlier, we'll be able to make just about every major version of the Soyuz, and then the Progress, once it's released. I like the VA striping, maybe craft-specific textures would be neat as an optional download, or as part of an FSTextureSwitch option. For example, a green TKS, a green, or charcoal grey/black Soyuz, green, green/white, green/white/orange Salyut, etc.) I think those of us who like to make real-world-based crafts would love that. I'd play with the PSDs myself if I had Photoshop, but it's too expensive to justify buying it right now.

On the subject of RCS, I've been trying to make as realistic an RCS setup as possible for the Soyuz, and it can be a little difficult sometimes. Maybe some RCS blocks that mimic the real setup of the Soyuz would be cool to see. I know it means more parts, but that allows for people to make accurate spacecraft, and still have the ability to make crafts of our own design.

Edited by DJ Reonic

I've found a way to do it that's really convoluted, but works like the real thing as far as I can tell. I put one ring on the SM on the cardinal directions, and offset it up onto the decoupler (if placed on the decoupler, all four will detach violently when the stage is separated). Then you disable yaw/roll/pitch on these, and only enable port/dorsal/fore on the ones that need to be (like you would with control surfaces). Below those on the bottom, I put another ring of four, but diagonal to the others (mainly because they'd be shooting gas onto the solar panels, which wouldn't make much sense) and disabled their translation.

In other news, I didn't know the soyuz got a third seat added, that's pretty cool!

Edit: another thought: With the new LES, could there be a hard fairing option that allows it to separate and have grid fins like it did IRL?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

7 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I've found a way to do it that's really convoluted, but works like the real thing as far as I can tell. I put one ring on the SM on the cardinal directions, and offset it up onto the decoupler (if placed on the decoupler, all four will detach violently when the stage is separated). Then you disable yaw/roll/pitch on these, and only enable port/dorsal/fore on the ones that need to be (like you would with control surfaces). Below those on the bottom, I put another ring of four, but diagonal to the others (mainly because they'd be shooting gas onto the solar panels, which wouldn't make much sense) and disabled their translation.

In other news, I didn't know the soyuz got a third seat added, that's pretty cool!

Got a screenshot of your setup?

Always a pleasure to see the progress on this mod, Beale - especially glad to have the Proton rocket back! :)

But is there a config somewhere to put the parts in their own category/for filter extensions? I seem to remember there was one for Old Tantares that had a separate category for each craft.
And are there CLS configs yet?

Cheers

P.S. Your new avatar has got this song stuck in my head

27 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

Always a pleasure to see the progress on this mod, Beale - especially glad to have the Proton rocket back! :)

But is there a config somewhere to put the parts in their own category/for filter extensions? I seem to remember there was one for Old Tantares that had a separate category for each craft.
And are there CLS configs yet?

Cheers

P.S. Your new avatar has got this song stuck in my head

Switched over to the stock search system now, just type in 'Soyuz' or 'MIR', or etc in the VAB :) 

CLS configs, none available, I did not know CLS was still available to be honest.

Sorry for the song curse! :D 

Edited by Beale

On ‎22‎-‎4‎-‎2017 at 7:20 PM, Beale said:

P29WlwU.png 
WInNUwh.png

I have not that much knowledge of the soviet space program but I find it very interesting.

What spacecraft is indicated here? It almost looks like a soviet kind of apollo spacecraft.

5 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Edit: another thought: With the new LES, could there be a hard fairing option that allows it to separate and have grid fins like it did IRL?

I'm not sure how I would be able to do that, but if you have any ideas, I'm all listening :) 

10 minutes ago, onlinegamesz said:

I have not that much knowledge of the soviet space program but I find it very interesting.

What spacecraft is indicated here? It almost looks like a soviet kind of apollo spacecraft.

No real spacecraft, the VA was just put in top of the N1 rocket's final stage to make a knock-off Apollo :) 

The VA was a little worse-for-wear after re-entry.

d4skLd8.png

YFcKZw8.png

The old Progress it seems was very short, minimum Progress past and present has been similar length to the Soyuz, or up to half a metre taller (Original 1970s / 1980s Progress).

Soyuz-TM: 7.48 m
Progress-M: 7.23 m
Progress: 7.94 m

You can see the new Progress can be appropriate for either height by the inclusion or omission of a new tbc trunk section. (What can this section store? I have some ideas...).

Hslqn0x.png

The moral of the story, being accurate is frustrating, but actually usually ends up giving cool results.

hEujyWl.png

By the way, GitHub is updated with some new Soyuz RCS effects, and the little nod to @Daelkyr in the VA engine (Still need to fix the fuel on that though).

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

The moral of the story, being accurate is frustrating, but actually usually ends up giving cool results.

Indeed it is.

RFGgad7.png?1

Just now, curtquarquesso said:

Surprising to see the QOS docking window still in use.
I've since lost the original model for it, so to update it for new Tantares, I'd need to start from scratch.

I don't make a Soyuz vehicle without it! :cool:

45 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Surprising to see the QOS docking window still in use.
I've since lost the original model for it, so to update it for new Tantares, I'd need to start from scratch.

44 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

I don't make a Soyuz vehicle without it! :cool:

I use it too. I mentioned to Beale a while back about making one to include with the new Tantares pack.

1 hour ago, DJ Reonic said:

I use it too. I mentioned to Beale a while back about making one to include with the new Tantares pack.

He certainly has my blessing. It basically just functions as a docking light. My Unity setup for it consisted of a light beam to illuminate your target, and one soft point light that casts some light on the parts surroundings the window for a pretty glow. Very easy to configure.

Old screen:

f46d7cb856.png

Meanwhile, here's some TKS goodness on stock sized Kerbin. Oh my, launching that was such a good explanation to myself what exactly "wrong weight quantum" means. Stages 2 and 3 (even with block D added) don't have enough dV to put the hulking beast the TKS is to orbit, while using stage 1 looks like a total waste on a planet so small. So...

Spoiler

JI3t6B7.png

Let's rob Korolev for some boosters! Just don't show him this monstrousity, I guess a keroLOX/hydrazine rocket is an odd thing even on Kerbin.

WOmfNfx.png

But oh well, odd or not, it flies like a dream.

4eD8mff.png

Booster sep...

yCZ6PbR.png

Pushing through the atmosphere...

2tI4LWf.png

Coasting to apoapsis, ready to circularise with block D. There will be just half the tank left by the end of the maneuver - definitely not something you'd cry over as it burns in the atmosphere.

n9doGBe.png

Aaand we're there! The donut tank on top of the retro engines thing is a temporary measure, of course.

PDPgB7l.png

Also, here's my (yet another) idea of the TKS' RCS arrangement. Horribly inaccurate once again, but oh well.

n43zLV5.png

All tests done, burning for reentry...

Edited by TK-313