[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I haven't been around for a while, as I stopped playing like 2 years ago switching to X-Plane 11. I tried to go back to the game a few months back but the magic just wasn't there. I just want to thank the amazing @Beale for all these years of fun, it's awesome you are maintaining this mod that I consider one of the pillars of this community.

Grazie per tutto e buon lavoro!

So i recently learned about the Sodruzhestvo (Alliance) rocket which was an attempt at fostering some collaboration between former soviet republics in the 90s (In particular Khazakh and Ukraine). If I understood the information correctly it was to be an alternative to Angara.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sodruzhestvo.html

It basically consisted of a Zenit central stack and different configurations of liquid boosters that were structurally like Zenit boosters but fitted with RD180 instead of RD171.

hbb6QR2h.png

Of course there is no RD180 in Tantares since it hadnt been used in a Russian rocket so we had to "re-import" it back to Russia courtesy of BDB :P. The Centre core is powered by a Tantares RD171

FXAgzpph.png

HygpKE1h.png

Another Beale cross

RUCRs8gh.png

We have a Zenit 3rd stage and the optional Blok D for high energy orbits and interplanetary transfers.

mm2REKzh.png

3 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Zorg those pix are gorgeous!!! What visual mods are you running? and...which plumes are those?

:) 

Thanks! This is Galileos planet pack (so clouds, terrain etc are all the high res GPP ones) with EVE and Scatterer of course.

KS3P with Orbital Phoenix's config.

Planet shine with a very high vacuum ambient light level and thats it.

The plumes are all from RealPlume, applied by included configs in Tantares.

14 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Thanks! This is Galileos planet pack (so clouds, terrain etc are all the high res GPP ones) with EVE and Scatterer of course.

KS3P with Orbital Phoenix's config.

Planet shine with a very high vacuum ambient light level and thats it.

The plumes are all from RealPlume, applied by included configs in Tantares.

Thanks! Is that the Dev version of Scatterer or last November's release (0.0336)

Just now, Tyko said:

Thanks! Is that the Dev version of Scatterer or last November's release (0.0336)

0.0336, no major issues in my rescaled game so far. I didnt know there was a new dev build available. Will check it out.

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

So i recently learned about the Sodruzhestvo (Alliance) rocket which was an attempt at fostering some collaboration between former soviet republics in the 90s (In particular Khazakh and Ukraine). If I understood the information correctly it was to be an alternative to Angara.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sodruzhestvo.html

It basically consisted of a Zenit central stack and different configurations of liquid boosters that were structurally like Zenit boosters but fitted with RD180 instead of RD171.

Another Beale cross

RUCRs8gh.png

We have a Zenit 3rd stage and the optional Blok D for high energy orbits and interplanetary transfers.

Really beautiful! The BDB engines are great.

It is surprising what can be built with these Zenit parts but I guess that is a plus :D Gives me some ideas to expand it for sure.

Final Question

Reaching the very last bits of the Polyus, the final part of the craft is the protective shell that covers the p̵̧̨̫͓̓a̶̪̔̍͐͛y̸͓̜͇͚͘l̸͖͈̩͍̽̈́̈́o̶̼̠̬̐͛̒a̸̢̅̿̚ḑ̵̨̦̌͆̌. You can see it in these pictures:

iMrvwkC.png

There are three ways to do this:

With fairings

The most simple and straightforward, but doesn't look the best and you cannot attach anything to that.

oMtHpAf.png

With decoupler / shroud thing

A little more complicated, and you still could not attach anything to the sides as the shroud is collider-less (But you can attach to the end cap, and it has a node).
Is this too single-purpose?

This of course allows me to create a nice texture for this part (vs. fairing).

OUAvv8S.png
f6h4QkZ.png
uMqIyui.png
dy8EGn1.png
riK2Yiw.png
pXNu4Lh.png

With standalone 'shroud' part

I'm not really in favour of this, because it has seemingly limited use, essentially the same as the above image but the shroud is a part on its own.
The one benefit is this could maybe allow for the shroud to have colliders and allow surface attach. 

I don't really like this idea because at a certain extent the part has no function - We can't do fairing like aerodynamic covering (I think?!) so that removes most good purpose of this being a standalone part.
If there is a way to do aerodynamic this would shoot way up.

SO!

What do you prefer, why do you prefer it, and what would you do with such a part? Really interesting to hear.

And finally, GitHub, to play with these:

BpueZZS.png

And onto the future...
I have a gut feeling the next thing to improve will be the Soyuz rocket, any objections?

Edited by Beale

6 hours ago, Beale said:

What do you prefer, why do you prefer it, and what would you do with such a part? Really interesting to hear.

If I'm honest, I prefer the shroud above all else because using a fairing would look ugly and a dedicated part does feel too limited of use to be justified.

6 hours ago, Beale said:

And onto the future...
I have a gut feeling the next thing to improve will be the Soyuz rocket, any objections?

I object!

I find that the Soyuz rocket performs very well in 2.5x rescale and still looks great X years on and I'd honestly prefer to see entirely new parts like a voskhod retromotor.

9 hours ago, Beale said:

I`d prefer standalone hollow physical part (some kind of one piece jettisonable cargo bay cover). The reasons is: 1) we can put something (i.e. payload), inside; 2) glue something outside on surface; 3) use it somewhere else (as cover/skycrane for lander for examle);

13 hours ago, Beale said:

None at all!

P.S. This one is a big fan of the E-scaled version, even if it doesn't fit into the size grid precisely.

Edited by TK-313

1 minute ago, unclepirog said:

Is it about scaling Soyuz parts up to 1.5m?

The 3rd stage, to be exact, to bring it to the same proportions as the real Soyuz. The current iteration of the mod even has the right meshes (with an "-E" in their names), so nothing stops you from trying this version of the rocket. Last time I checked, @Beale was choosing between leaving the rocket as is (which causes the fairing look oversized) and upscaling the upper stage to 1.875 m (which, in my humble opinion, makes the stage look super oversized). The 1.5 m version, as it was said then, doesn't really fit the 1.25-1.875-2.5 m size line (1.875 being the exact "half" size), so it would retain its status of an optional version for fans of nicest looking rockets. Which I am :wink:

3 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

The 3rd stage, to be exact, to bring it to the same proportions as the real Soyuz. The current iteration of the mod even has the right meshes (with an "-E" in their names), so nothing stops you from trying this version of the rocket. Last time I checked, @Beale was choosing between leaving the rocket as is (which causes the fairing look oversized) and upscaling the upper stage to 1.875 m (which, in my humble opinion, makes the stage look super oversized). The 1.5 m version, as it was said then, doesn't really fit the 1.25-1.875-2.5 m size line (1.875 being the exact "half" size), so it would retain its status of an optional version for fans of nicest looking rockets. Which I am :wink:

Wish I knew about "-E" meshes earlier! In my campaign I've rescaled some Soyuz (and all of Vostok) parts with MM configs, replaced some others with procedural tanks and wondered, if Voskhod in 1.25m is even possible... three or two (with huge helmets) in such a small capsule. It would be awesome if 1.5m would be adopted by @Beale as one of common sizes in Tantares (as @CobaltWolf did earlier in BDB).

4 hours ago, unclepirog said:

Wish I knew about "-E" meshes earlier! In my campaign I've rescaled some Soyuz (and all of Vostok) parts with MM configs, replaced some others with procedural tanks and wondered, if Voskhod in 1.25m is even possible... three or two (with huge helmets) in such a small capsule. It would be awesome if 1.5m would be adopted by @Beale as one of common sizes in Tantares (as @CobaltWolf did earlier in BDB).

4 hours ago, TK-313 said:

It definitely would :)

I will keep that 1.5 / size1p2 as an option for certain :) 

In fact, the new Soyuz will have  1.25, 1.5 and 1.875 then (with 1.875 being the default and 1.25 kept by popular demand).
I think the true best size would be 1.625, but that is not supported anywhere.

ze2HQwJ.png (The comparisons). At risk of invoking the "feels more kerbal" excuse, I am a big fan of the chunky one for practical reasons, but options are nice.

54 minutes ago, Deltac said:

Zvezda launch and docking!

P4aMcY3.png

This is just so cool, I demand more :D 

More experiments!

Still looking for feedback on Polyus shells, I have created the standalone shroud part, which you can get on Github now!
This actually is a lot more versatile than I had imagine, when I think about it, and the advantages are pretty obvious.

The new part can be found under structural, the bottom larger node is a decoupler.

9K1lXxT.jpg
8n6SyxZ.png

Edited by Beale

7 minutes ago, Beale said:

In fact, the new Soyuz will have  1.25, 1.5 and 1.875 then (with 1.875 being the default and 1.25 kept by popular demand).

Will they be separate parts, or alternate models as current "-E"-variants? Maybe parts mesh variants (stock variants, or B9, or whatever)?

12 minutes ago, Beale said:

I have created the standalone shroud part, which you can get on Github now!

Thumbs up!

22 hours ago, Beale said:

I will keep that 1.5 / size1p2 as an option for certain :) 

I think the true best size would be 1.625, but that is not supported anywhere.

ze2HQwJ.png (The comparisons). At risk of invoking the "feels more kerbal" excuse, I am a big fan of the chunky one for practical reasons, but options are nice.

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this.