[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Mir craft pack for Tantares

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(Yes, I DO know that Kvant-1 is attached backwards on these pictures. KSP and its root parts...)

REQUIRES PROCEDURAL FAIRINGS

Anyway, the exciting features:

- Low part count - just 141 parts for the entire station

- Designed to be launched unmanned

- Designed to support other mods without any problems - FAR, Mechjeb, RT, you name it (Although you might need to add some parts from these mods, like RT launch antenna)

- Comes in two variations - as a ship (with Proton-K launch vehicle) and as a subassembly (which can be easily installed on your own launcher)

- Kvant-1 comes with its TKS-derived Service Module, which must be jettisoned and de-orbited after docking

Notes:

- Most parts comes late in tech tree, so consider this as a late-game project. It is also fairly expensive (625K funds to launch all six modules).

- There are no action groups, except Kvant-1 (Press "2" to decouple service module. Refrain from decoupling it via staging - things may happen.)

- All modules has their own TKS-derived propulsion system (as in real life, duh!). Delta-V is pretty low, though - they can do a couple of small maneuvers, but nothing more.

- Does not include Mir Docking Module (build it yourself if needed)

- Lack of details is intentional - this is done in order to reduce part count. Feel free to add your own tanks, girders, EVA handrails, scientific experiments etc.

- Sofora and Rapana girders: they were built during EVA, so use KAS and several cubic struts. Or use DMagic's magnetometer boom.

- Kvant-2 "airlock" is, sadly, non-functional. Use the nearest hatch to go EVA. (Beale, can we have a proper Kvant-2 airlock someday? IIRC, there is no parts with such thing as hatch on top)

DOWNLOAD

I've got a bunch of really authentic crafts coming up, just haven't had time to complete them all. In and out of classes and such...

So far completed: Vostok, Venera, ATV, Cygnus, Soyuz, Progress, Salyuts 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 (I think), TKS (tank and cargo variants) Fuji, Zond, an awesome Soyuz 7K-LOK, and two custom surprises that really show off the versatility of the Spekter and VA pods...

I'll post all the vessels for you to check out, and critique, then I'll iron them out.

Biohazard, since I'm crunched for time, why don't we work together a bit here to smooth out kinks and authenticity stuff with our respective crafts and assemble a mega-pack with vessels, Mir and ISS modules, and eventually lifters for them all?

Edited by curtquarquesso

http://imgur.com/a/UF9er

(Yes, I DO know that Kvant-1 is attached backwards on these pictures. KSP and its root parts...)

- Designed to support other mods without any problems - FAR, Mechjeb, RT, you name it (Although you might need to add some parts from these mods, like RT launch antenna)

- Comes in two variations - as a ship (with Proton-K launch vehicle) and as a subassembly (which can be easily installed on your own launcher)

- Kvant-1 comes with its TKS-derived Service Module, which must be jettisoned and de-orbited after docking

Notes:

- Most parts comes late in tech tree, so consider this as a late-game project. It is also fairly expensive (625K funds to launch all six modules).

- There are no action groups, except Kvant-1 (Press "2" to decouple service module. Refrain from decoupling it via staging - things may happen.)

- All modules has their own TKS-derived propulsion system (as in real life, duh!). Delta-V is pretty low, though - they can do a couple of small maneuvers, but nothing more.

- Lack of details is intentional - this is done in order to reduce part count. Feel free to add your own tanks, girders, EVA handrails, scientific experiments etc.

- Sofora and Rapana girders: they were built during EVA, so use KAS and several cubic struts. Or use DMagic's magnetometer boom.

- Kvant-2 "airlock" is, sadly, non-functional. Use the nearest hatch to go EVA. (Beale, can we have a proper Kvant-2 airlock someday? IIRC, there is no parts with such thing as hatch on top)

DOWNLOAD

I don't want to be picky but your Kvant module is flipped: the tapered end should point to the DOS-7 (MIR core) but anything else: it's a great model to build in orbit.

Wich i will be doing again after i edit the KAS config file to enable to place the solar panels on EVA.

Quick note for those with craft flying in game.

THIS IS DANGEROUS and you could corrupt your game if you make a mistake - you have been warned.

I managed (so far) to keep my old craft going with the NEW Tantares (15.5) by doing the following:

1. Save my game under a new name for future loading
  2. Close KSP
  3. Move OLD Tantares folder to my desktop
  4. Unzip NEW Tantares folder into my Gamedata folder
  5. Start KSP
  6. Load my savegame
  7. Upon reaching the Space Center scene, I get several boxes telling me "Craft name was not loaded due to missing part some.part.name"
  8. Write down all the names
  9. Close KSP by right clicking the taskbar and clicking "Close Window" (This prevents your savegame from being overwritten).
  10. Open the OLD Tantares folder on my desktop and hunt down all the missing parts.
  11. Renamed all those part folders by adding "OLD-" to the beginning of the folder name.
  12. Open the "part.cfg" in each of those folders and change "Category = somename" to "Category = -1".
  13. Move all the "OLD-" folders into my own custom folder within Gamedata (gamedata\oldtantparts\).
  14. Start KSP (Thanks to using "Close Window" I won't need the backup I made in step 1)
  15. No more error boxes, and thanks to the -1's the old parts don't appear in the VAB/SPH!!

The only issue I've had is the rather unimportant one of a craft with the old TKS engine has a part that WAS attached to the end floating above the end.

YMMV :cool:

Sidebar:

Beale, it appears that the panel below is now missing from the pack. While I like the new panels very much, I also like this one and it's 6 panel sibling. Am I overlooking it? Will it ever come back? What's your position on other's using it?

Jf1wvcf.png

Edited by tg626

Beale, thank you for your ongoing efforts to make Tantares, it's one of my must-haves. The revamp looks great; the refinements are gorgeous. :D I did some debugging in to the RealChute parachute issue that has cropped up and found that the Tantares patch included with RealChute will need updated for everything to work as it currently is - that RealChute includes a base Tantares patch and Tantares includes an additional patch to match Tantares updates. Indeed, removing Tantares_RealChute_MM.cfg from RealChute/ModuleManager is a quick fix, but will mean that the Tantares 'chutes are stock. :( However, like myself, if anyone finds this disagreeable, here is an updated Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg that will also solve the issue:

@PART[Alnair_Parachute_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
textureLibrary = StockReplacement
currentCanopies = Main chute
}
@MODULE[RealChuteModule]
{
@PARACHUTE
{
@capName = Cap
}
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Parachute_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
}
@MODULE[RealChuteModule]
{
@PARACHUTE
{
@capName = Cap
}
}
}

@PART[Almach_Parachute_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
}
}

@PART[Polaris_Port_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
}
}

Download Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg (Dropbox) (Just the .cfg, if you know where to put it.)

Download Tantares_Extra_RealChute.zip (Dropbox) (Unzip to KSP, same as Tantares; allow overwriting of Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg.)

Some notes on this:

• The Per-Mod qualifier (:BEFORE, :FOR, :AFTER) needs to be :AFTER[RealChute] so that ModuleManager applies your patches to the ones included with RealChute.
  • The problem is that the "cap" name has changed in the revamped models.
  • This also fixes the scaling issue of the affected parts; all should be normal once this patch is applied.
  • The patch included with RealChute only supports Tantares_Parachute_A and Alnair_Parachute_A. Support for Alnair_Parachute_B, Almach_Parachute_A, Polaris_Port_A and any I missed will need to be added. (This also means the Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg that patches Almach_Parachute_A and Polaris_Port_A are effectively not used, currently.)

I haven't had a chance to get the updates in to my launch schedule :cool: to get some more interesting pictures with Tantares, but here are a couple; one that shows the RealChute options for the Tantares parachute working after the above patch is applied. Also, green! I like the green enough to make my own! (I used Firespitter's FStextureSwitch2, so I can mix it up too.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If I can help out with the parachute stuff, texture switch patches when the time comes, or in some other way, I'm happy to do so. :)

I built an SSTO with your launcher parts! :D

(Using FAR, so no idea if this would be doable in vanilla)

On the way up:

h81kcNd.jpg

Kerbin orbit:

kbVBU3s.jpg

Munar injection:

Kx8W6S7.jpg

Munar orbit:

rbiBe4X.jpg

Crew module separates from launcher in Munar orbit ... I think I'm gonna turn this guy into a lander/return vehicle combo, so I can get 3 Kerbals to the Mun's surface in 2 stages. :D

POXpxJT.jpg

A small comment / suggestion - the new Stock Mk3 Shuttle parts are using a "placeholder" IVA that might come in handy for the ones you've yet to complete / rework. That at least give the player the crew portrait down on the lower right, though they seem to be living in a darkened, window-less box.

Can this be used for any number of crew? Because if so, it's much better than the previous system of "just click on the hatch, they're in there I promise" or "wait, whose IVA is​ this?"

Edit: Almost forgot, congratulations on the release Beale!

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

I am incredibly hungover right now, Beale does not party well.

Some screens for the album, the last two I think are the best. :)

http://imgur.com/a/3yT0u

Great stuff! Many thanks & added to album :)

http://imgur.com/a/UF9er

Notes:

DOWNLOAD

Beautiful! I very much appreciate the work to make this!

I've linked it on the first page :)

Once again Beale's Tantares pack help my little green men to greatness.

Here, ALV parts are used in a rocket, and TKS parts combine with HullcamVDS' Orlan Telescope to create a "scientific" satellite for a Jeb's Junkyard contract.

http://imgur.com/a/nL9TO

Super cool! I enjoy the telescope design (with mono tanks) :)

Sidebar:

Beale, it appears that the panel below is now missing from the pack. While I like the new panels very much, I also like this one and it's 6 panel sibling. Am I overlooking it? Will it ever come back? What's your position on other's using it?

http://i.imgur.com/Jf1wvcf.png

I like your enthusiasm to keep existing craft flying :)

That solar panel: it is still in game. Technically it is missing, as a new solar panel "Tantares_Solar_B" has replaced it as the fixed Soyuz solar panel.

I hope you understand :)

My position: people are free, and whats more encouraged, to mix, recolor and remix these parts. The licence allows it fine, the only thing I would ask is to credit the original source if you were to release things separate.

Beale, thank you for your ongoing efforts to make Tantares, it's one of my must-haves. The revamp looks great; the refinements are gorgeous. :D I did some debugging in to the RealChute parachute issue that has cropped up and found that the Tantares patch included with RealChute will need updated for everything to work as it currently is - that RealChute includes a base Tantares patch and Tantares includes an additional patch to match Tantares updates. Indeed, removing Tantares_RealChute_MM.cfg from RealChute/ModuleManager is a quick fix, but will mean that the Tantares 'chutes are stock. :( However, like myself, if anyone finds this disagreeable, here is an updated Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg that will also solve the issue:

@PART[Alnair_Parachute_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
}
@MODULE[RealChuteModule]
{
@PARACHUTE
{
@capName = Cap
}
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Parachute_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
}
@MODULE[RealChuteModule]
{
@PARACHUTE
{
@capName = Cap
}
}
}

@PART[Almach_Parachute_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
}
}

@PART[Polaris_Port_A]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
@MODULE[ProceduralChute]
{
}
}

Download Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg (Dropbox) (Just the .cfg, if you know where to put it.)

Download Tantares_Extra_RealChute.zip (Dropbox) (Unzip to KSP, same as Tantares; allow overwriting of Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg.)

Some notes on this:

• The Per-Mod qualifier (:BEFORE, :FOR, :AFTER) needs to be :AFTER[RealChute] so that ModuleManager applies your patches to the ones included with RealChute.
  • The problem is that the "cap" name has changed in the revamped models.
  • This also fixes the scaling issue of the affected parts; all should be normal once this patch is applied.
  • The patch included with RealChute only supports Tantares_Parachute_A and Alnair_Parachute_A. Support for Alnair_Parachute_B, Almach_Parachute_A, Polaris_Port_A and any I missed will need to be added. (This also means the Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg that patches Almach_Parachute_A and Polaris_Port_A are effectively not used, currently.)

I haven't had a chance to get the updates in to my launch schedule :cool: to get some more interesting pictures with Tantares, but here are a couple; one that shows the RealChute options for the Tantares parachute working after the above patch is applied. Also, green! I like the green enough to make my own! (I used Firespitter's FStextureSwitch2, so I can mix it up too.)

http://imgur.com/a/fnWY5

If I can help out with the parachute stuff, texture switch patches when the time comes, or in some other way, I'm happy to do so. :)

You are a godsend with this!

So many thanks! Implemented into vanilla download immediate.

The Green is also really nice!

So Beale, will you be making the IVAs closer to the real craft this time around?

Yep, that is the plan.

At least more cluttered.

I built an SSTO with your launcher parts! :D

(Using FAR, so no idea if this would be doable in vanilla)

On the way up:

http://i.imgur.com/h81kcNd.jpg

Kerbin orbit:

http://i.imgur.com/kbVBU3s.jpg

Munar injection:

http://i.imgur.com/Kx8W6S7.jpg

Munar orbit:

http://i.imgur.com/rbiBe4X.jpg

Crew module separates from launcher in Munar orbit ... I think I'm gonna turn this guy into a lander/return vehicle combo, so I can get 3 Kerbals to the Mun's surface in 2 stages. :D

http://i.imgur.com/POXpxJT.jpg

Balance concerns aside (well, it is FAR anyway) that is one awesome TSTMO craft! I love it, and the use of the new capsule! :cool:

Can this be used for any number of crew? Because if so, it's much better than the previous system of "just click on the hatch, they're in there I promise" or "wait, whose IVA is​ this?"

Edit: Almost forgot, congratulations on the release Beale!

Should not matter so much, since none of my crew parts hold more than three.

Thanks on the release! :)

Edited by Beale

Placeholder Iva can take up 15 kerbals O_O

Even more perfect! :)

Beale, with the new textures the mod could be called Tanta-high-res. Ba dum tchh! :sticktongue:

But they're technically lower-res! (anti-ba-dum-tchh).

Many thanks though :)

Do you ever just sit down, have a bite to eat and make a V2 rocket?

I do, not always, but sometimes.

Yes, this is the produce of a very strange whim.

5ccbab06fa.jpg

f58bbc08ea.jpg

All 1.25m part form factor.

I don't know if it will run on LF/OX, or I might add some "EthanolFuel/OX"

Edited by Beale

http://puu.sh/fvOF3/5ccbab06fa.jpg

http://puu.sh/fvPWN/f58bbc08ea.jpg

Looks awesome!

I think it may run still a LF/OX, but be low efficiency (150s sea level, 250s vacuum) and low fuel percentage (all the rocket is 3.5 tons, make fuel only 2 tons).

Looks awesome!

I think it may run still a LF/OX, but be low efficiency (150s sea level, 250s vacuum) and low fuel percentage (all the rocket is 3.5 tons, make fuel only 2 tons).

Mm, yeah I think I agree with this is better.

Basically, I am aiming for ~3,000m/s Delta V, enough to reach space, but not enough for orbit (And maybe some small science experiment.).

The nozzle also needs to gimble and look all pretty.

7d05dcefa0.jpg

Basically, I am aiming for ~3,000m/s Delta V, enough to reach space, but not enough for orbit (And maybe some small science experiment.).

http://puu.sh/fvSOp/7d05dcefa0.jpg

I think it would be too much, since it was not an intercontinental rocket, but a mostly tactical one, something around 1000 m/s. I suppose have it 0.1 tons for the nose avionics, 0.2 for engine and 0.3 for engine, loaded with 4.5 tons of fuel it will be around 750 m/s dV in vacuum with ISP of 280. :)

And yeah, this rocket is the product of cooperation on a pretty big mod, called "Road to Kosmos". If someone is interested in contributing it - feel free to PM me and/or write in the corresponding thread. :)

Edited by Niemand303

http://puu.sh/fvSOp/7d05dcefa0.jpg

OMG I want to use that A-4/V-2 Soooo bad! Combined with the Seargeant rockets in the FASA pack and I could fly a Hermes Program!

Even more perfect! :)

But they're technically lower-res! (anti-ba-dum-tchh).

Many thanks though :)

http://puu.sh/fvOF3/5ccbab06fa.jpg

http://puu.sh/fvPWN/f58bbc08ea.jpg

:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

Salyut Stations .craft files (v1.0) Dropbox Download!

• Salyut 1
  • Salyut 3 & 5 (Military Almaz Configurations)
  • Salyut 4
  • Salyut 6 & 7

Tantares Vessels .craft files (v1.0) Dropbox Download!

• ATV
  • Cygnus
  • Drakon (special custom .craft)
  • Fobos Grunt
  • Fuji
  • Khleb (taking advantage of the new Spektr module!) (also requires RLA...)
  • Progress
  • Soyuz
  • Soyuz 7K-LOK
  • TKS Cargo
  • TKS Crew
  • Venera Probe
  • Vostok
  • Zond

Vessels not included:

• LK (waiting for this one to get revamped)
  • Voskhod
  • TMK-MAVR (don't have the appropriate parts to do it justice yet)
  • Mir Station Modules (waiting for permission to rework biohazard15's .crafts a bit)
  • Salyut 2 (Salyut 2 could not into space...)
  • ISS Russian Segment (just haven't gotten the time yet)
  • R7
  • Proton (lifters will be submitted as subassemblies when I get time)
  • N-1 http://i.imgur.com/XkVToWM.gif

Things that could be wrong!

• FGB orbital engine placement
  • Part counts
  • Antenna placement
  • ÃŽâ€V amounts
  • Flyability (haven't had too much time to flight test them all)
  • TAC Life Support levels (might be a good way to make sure the .config values are approximated correctly.)

Please, PLEASE critique, and suggest changes so these can be as authentic as possible. Beale especially! (especially the small, nit-picky stuff)

When these are completed and peer-reviewed, should I change the names to the Tantares naming convention? (Ex. Vega, Hamal, Pollux, etc?)

Would it have killed the Soviets to have taken a d@%# picture now and again??

Edited by curtquarquesso

:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

I take it you like it? :sticktongue:

Salyut Stations .craft files (v1.0) Dropbox Download!

• Salyut 1
  • Salyut 3 & 5 (Military Almaz Configurations)
  • Salyut 4
  • Salyut 6 & 7

Tantares Vessels .craft files (v1.0) Dropbox Download!

• ATV
  • Cygnus
  • Drakon (special, special!)
  • Fobos Grunt
  • Fuji
  • Khleb (taking advantage of the new Spektr module!)
  • Progress
  • Soyuz
  • Soyuz 7K-LOK
  • TKS Cargo
  • TKS Crew
  • Venera Probe
  • Vostok
  • Zond

Vessels not included:

• LK (waiting for this one to get revamped)
  • Voskhod
  • TMK-MAVR (don't have the appropriate parts to do it justice yet)
  • Mir Station Modules (waiting for permission to rework biohazard15's .crafts a bit)
  • Salyut 2 (Salyut 2 could not into space...)
  • ISS Russian Segment (just haven't gotten the time yet)
  • R7
  • Proton (lifters will be submitted as subassemblies when I get time)
  • N-1 http://i.imgur.com/XkVToWM.gif

Things that could be wrong!

• FGB orbital engine placement
  • Part counts
  • Antenna placement
  • ÃŽâ€V amounts
  • Flyability (haven't had too much time to flight test them all)
  • TAC Life Support levels (might be a good way to make sure the .config values are approximated correctly.)

Please, PLEASE critique, and suggest changes so these can be as authentic as possible. Beale especially! (especially the small, nit-picky stuff)

When these are completed and peer-reviewed, should I change the names to the Tantares naming convention? (Ex. Vega, Hamal, Pollux, etc?)

Would it have killed the Soviets to have taken a d@%# picture now and again??

Fantastic!

You've made so much! :)

I'll put these all on the front.

Naming conventions: Tantares names are made up and completely nonsense, I'd advise to just stick to naming how you feel, after the real spacecrafts. Of course you can choose how you wish, real names may just be easier for people.

It's not a V2!!!!

It's an R-1!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is the R-I not more like this? (quick recolour)

efabd3ff3f.jpg