Beale

[1.7.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [18.0][14/07/2019]

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

And so it begins....

5TbRkmJ.png

Woot, Another new page!

Edited by Deltac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been around for a while, as I stopped playing like 2 years ago switching to X-Plane 11. I tried to go back to the game a few months back but the magic just wasn't there. I just want to thank the amazing @Beale for all these years of fun, it's awesome you are maintaining this mod that I consider one of the pillars of this community.

Grazie per tutto e buon lavoro!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i recently learned about the Sodruzhestvo (Alliance) rocket which was an attempt at fostering some collaboration between former soviet republics in the 90s (In particular Khazakh and Ukraine). If I understood the information correctly it was to be an alternative to Angara.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sodruzhestvo.html

It basically consisted of a Zenit central stack and different configurations of liquid boosters that were structurally like Zenit boosters but fitted with RD180 instead of RD171.

hbb6QR2h.png

Of course there is no RD180 in Tantares since it hadnt been used in a Russian rocket so we had to "re-import" it back to Russia courtesy of BDB :P. The Centre core is powered by a Tantares RD171

FXAgzpph.png

HygpKE1h.png

Another Beale cross

RUCRs8gh.png

We have a Zenit 3rd stage and the optional Blok D for high energy orbits and interplanetary transfers.

mm2REKzh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zorg those pix are gorgeous!!! What visual mods are you running? and...which plumes are those?

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Zorg those pix are gorgeous!!! What visual mods are you running? and...which plumes are those?

:) 

Thanks! This is Galileos planet pack (so clouds, terrain etc are all the high res GPP ones) with EVE and Scatterer of course.

KS3P with Orbital Phoenix's config.

Planet shine with a very high vacuum ambient light level and thats it.

The plumes are all from RealPlume, applied by included configs in Tantares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Thanks! This is Galileos planet pack (so clouds, terrain etc are all the high res GPP ones) with EVE and Scatterer of course.

KS3P with Orbital Phoenix's config.

Planet shine with a very high vacuum ambient light level and thats it.

The plumes are all from RealPlume, applied by included configs in Tantares.

Thanks! Is that the Dev version of Scatterer or last November's release (0.0336)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyko said:

Thanks! Is that the Dev version of Scatterer or last November's release (0.0336)

0.0336, no major issues in my rescaled game so far. I didnt know there was a new dev build available. Will check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Zorg said:

So i recently learned about the Sodruzhestvo (Alliance) rocket which was an attempt at fostering some collaboration between former soviet republics in the 90s (In particular Khazakh and Ukraine). If I understood the information correctly it was to be an alternative to Angara.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sodruzhestvo.html

It basically consisted of a Zenit central stack and different configurations of liquid boosters that were structurally like Zenit boosters but fitted with RD180 instead of RD171.

Another Beale cross

RUCRs8gh.png

We have a Zenit 3rd stage and the optional Blok D for high energy orbits and interplanetary transfers.

Really beautiful! The BDB engines are great.

It is surprising what can be built with these Zenit parts but I guess that is a plus :D Gives me some ideas to expand it for sure.

 

Final Question

Reaching the very last bits of the Polyus, the final part of the craft is the protective shell that covers the p̵̧̨̫͓̓a̶̪̔̍͐͛y̸͓̜͇͚͘l̸͖͈̩͍̽̈́̈́o̶̼̠̬̐͛̒a̸̢̅̿̚ḑ̵̨̦̌͆̌. You can see it in these pictures:

iMrvwkC.png

There are three ways to do this:

With fairings

The most simple and straightforward, but doesn't look the best and you cannot attach anything to that.

oMtHpAf.png

With decoupler / shroud thing

A little more complicated, and you still could not attach anything to the sides as the shroud is collider-less (But you can attach to the end cap, and it has a node).
Is this too single-purpose?

This of course allows me to create a nice texture for this part (vs. fairing).

OUAvv8S.png
f6h4QkZ.png
uMqIyui.png
dy8EGn1.png
riK2Yiw.png
pXNu4Lh.png

With standalone 'shroud' part

I'm not really in favour of this, because it has seemingly limited use, essentially the same as the above image but the shroud is a part on its own.
The one benefit is this could maybe allow for the shroud to have colliders and allow surface attach. 

I don't really like this idea because at a certain extent the part has no function - We can't do fairing like aerodynamic covering (I think?!) so that removes most good purpose of this being a standalone part.
If there is a way to do aerodynamic this would shoot way up.

 

 

SO!

What do you prefer, why do you prefer it, and what would you do with such a part? Really interesting to hear.

 

And finally, GitHub, to play with these:

BpueZZS.png

And onto the future...
I have a gut feeling the next thing to improve will be the Soyuz rocket, any objections?

Edited by Beale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Beale said:

What do you prefer, why do you prefer it, and what would you do with such a part? Really interesting to hear.

If I'm honest, I prefer the shroud above all else because using a fairing would look ugly and a dedicated part does feel too limited of use to be justified.

6 hours ago, Beale said:

And onto the future...
I have a gut feeling the next thing to improve will be the Soyuz rocket, any objections?

I object!

I find that the Soyuz rocket performs very well in 2.5x rescale and still looks great X years on and I'd honestly prefer to see entirely new parts like a voskhod retromotor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think the decoupler shroud is the most elegant solution. It gives options for the player and can be made to look nice. Definite no to the fairing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Beale said:

What do you prefer, why do you prefer it, and what would you do with such a part? Really interesting to hear.

I`d prefer standalone hollow physical part (some kind of one piece jettisonable cargo bay cover). The reasons is: 1) we can put something (i.e. payload), inside; 2) glue something outside on surface; 3) use it somewhere else (as cover/skycrane for lander for examle);

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Beale said:

I have a gut feeling the next thing to improve will be the Soyuz rocket, any objections?

None at all!

P.S. This one is a big fan of the E-scaled version, even if it doesn't fit into the size grid precisely.

Edited by TK-313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TK-313 said:

This one is a big fan of the E-scaled version, even if it doesn't fit into the size grid precisely.

Is it about scaling Soyuz parts up to 1.5m?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, unclepirog said:

Is it about scaling Soyuz parts up to 1.5m?

The 3rd stage, to be exact, to bring it to the same proportions as the real Soyuz. The current iteration of the mod even has the right meshes (with an "-E" in their names), so nothing stops you from trying this version of the rocket. Last time I checked, @Beale was choosing between leaving the rocket as is (which causes the fairing look oversized) and upscaling the upper stage to 1.875 m (which, in my humble opinion, makes the stage look super oversized). The 1.5 m version, as it was said then, doesn't really fit the 1.25-1.875-2.5 m size line (1.875 being the exact "half" size), so it would retain its status of an optional version for fans of nicest looking rockets. Which I am :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

The 3rd stage, to be exact, to bring it to the same proportions as the real Soyuz. The current iteration of the mod even has the right meshes (with an "-E" in their names), so nothing stops you from trying this version of the rocket. Last time I checked, @Beale was choosing between leaving the rocket as is (which causes the fairing look oversized) and upscaling the upper stage to 1.875 m (which, in my humble opinion, makes the stage look super oversized). The 1.5 m version, as it was said then, doesn't really fit the 1.25-1.875-2.5 m size line (1.875 being the exact "half" size), so it would retain its status of an optional version for fans of nicest looking rockets. Which I am :wink:

Wish I knew about "-E" meshes earlier! In my campaign I've rescaled some Soyuz (and all of Vostok) parts with MM configs, replaced some others with procedural tanks and wondered, if Voskhod in 1.25m is even possible... three or two (with huge helmets) in such a small capsule. It would be awesome if 1.5m would be adopted by @Beale as one of common sizes in Tantares (as @CobaltWolf did earlier in BDB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, unclepirog said:

It would be awesome if 1.5m would be adopted by @Beale as one of common sizes in Tantares (as @CobaltWolf did earlier in BDB).

It definitely would :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zvezda launch and docking!

QPrILBW.pngP4aMcY3.png

Also thought this soyuz launch was cool

 nSpA2Uj.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, unclepirog said:

Wish I knew about "-E" meshes earlier! In my campaign I've rescaled some Soyuz (and all of Vostok) parts with MM configs, replaced some others with procedural tanks and wondered, if Voskhod in 1.25m is even possible... three or two (with huge helmets) in such a small capsule. It would be awesome if 1.5m would be adopted by @Beale as one of common sizes in Tantares (as @CobaltWolf did earlier in BDB).

4 hours ago, TK-313 said:

It definitely would :)

I will keep that 1.5 / size1p2 as an option for certain :) 

In fact, the new Soyuz will have  1.25, 1.5 and 1.875 then (with 1.875 being the default and 1.25 kept by popular demand).
I think the true best size would be 1.625, but that is not supported anywhere.

ze2HQwJ.png (The comparisons). At risk of invoking the "feels more kerbal" excuse, I am a big fan of the chunky one for practical reasons, but options are nice.

 

54 minutes ago, Deltac said:

Zvezda launch and docking!

P4aMcY3.png

 

This is just so cool, I demand more :D 

 

 

More experiments!

Still looking for feedback on Polyus shells, I have created the standalone shroud part, which you can get on Github now!
This actually is a lot more versatile than I had imagine, when I think about it, and the advantages are pretty obvious.

The new part can be found under structural, the bottom larger node is a decoupler.

9K1lXxT.jpg
8n6SyxZ.png

Edited by Beale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beale said:

In fact, the new Soyuz will have  1.25, 1.5 and 1.875 then (with 1.875 being the default and 1.25 kept by popular demand).

Will they be separate parts, or alternate models as current "-E"-variants? Maybe parts mesh variants (stock variants, or B9, or whatever)?

12 minutes ago, Beale said:

I have created the standalone shroud part, which you can get on Github now!

Thumbs up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm sorry

jKHLDVp.jpg

aren’t you sposed to be working on titan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

aren’t you sposed to be working on titan

Z1 Truss :)

 

TKS crew vehicle

FYwGNwv.png

And TKS Corgo for heavy resupply

lt6MrVU.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

aren’t you sposed to be working on titan

61IwNTw0fCL._SY355_.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm sorry

jKHLDVp.jpg

I'm breaking relative radio silence to voice my enthusiastic approval of this image. Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Beale said:

I will keep that 1.5 / size1p2 as an option for certain :) 

In fact, the new Soyuz will have  1.25, 1.5 and 1.875 then (with 1.875 being the default and 1.25 kept by popular demand).
I think the true best size would be 1.625, but that is not supported anywhere.

ze2HQwJ.png (The comparisons). At risk of invoking the "feels more kerbal" excuse, I am a big fan of the chunky one for practical reasons, but options are nice.


You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.