[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

10 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Practical, if parts intensive and needing a slightly modified config for your 0.9375 meter inline parachute to allow fuel crossflow... doing so allows for a healthy 800+ m/s dV.

Sorry, maybe I'm being a little dumb, what do you mean exactly?

More little WIPs.

DAccPUL.png
KVD8bLC.png
y9PSVq8.png

3 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

He is saying that he made the 0.9375m inline parachute have fuel crossfeed.

Oh okay - @MaverickSawyer Not sure that should add any extra Delta V, ideally VA engine should only be activated after separating from the rest of the FGB, then the only remaining fuel will be in the VA engine itself. Unless you mean some other setup?

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Oh okay - @MaverickSawyer Not sure that should add any extra Delta V, ideally VA engine should only be activated after separating from the rest of the FGB, then the only remaining fuel will be in the VA engine itself. Unless you mean some other setup?

Yeah, in the Red Fuji I posted, most of the fuel is on the orbital module, not the Service Module. That's why I had to add the crossflow. Tbh, I've never used the VA engine.

19 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Yeah, in the Red Fuji I posted, most of the fuel is on the orbital module, not the Service Module. That's why I had to add the crossflow. Tbh, I've never used the VA engine.

Aaaah okay, I follow you now, that makes sense.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:44 PM, Pappystein said:

So I assume that that means a lot of CFG editing.   That's cool. Before I try to automate this has anyone done a MM patch to do this?

If anyone still interested in...

Spoiler

@PART[TLV_1_Decoupler_1]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_1_Decoupler_1_E
	}
}

@PART[TLV_1_LFO_2]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_1_LFO_2_E
	}
}

@PART[TLV_2_Engine_1]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_2_Engine_1_E
	}
}

@PART[TLV_2_Fairing_1]
{
	@fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.36, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, deploy
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_2_Fairing_1_E
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleProceduralFairing]
	{
		@nArcs = 4
		@baseRadius = 0.75
		@capRadius = 0.22
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleCargoBay]:NEEDS[!FerramAerospaceResearch]
	{
		@lookupRadius = 0.9
	}
}

@PART[TLV_2_LFO_1]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_2_LFO_1_E
	}
}

Edited by unclepirog

8 hours ago, unclepirog said:

If anyone still interested in...

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[TLV_1_Decoupler_1]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_1_Decoupler_1_E
	}
}

@PART[TLV_1_LFO_2]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_1_LFO_2_E
	}
}

@PART[TLV_2_Engine_1]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_2_Engine_1_E
	}
}

@PART[TLV_2_Fairing_1]
{
	@fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.36, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, deploy
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_2_Fairing_1_E
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleProceduralFairing]
	{
		@nArcs = 4
		@baseRadius = 0.75
		@capRadius = 0.22
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleCargoBay]:NEEDS[!FerramAerospaceResearch]
	{
		@lookupRadius = 0.9
	}
}

@PART[TLV_2_LFO_1]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TantaresLV/Parts/SOYUZ/Soyuz_2_LFO_1_E
	}
}

@Beale, I believe this belongs in the standard package. Honestly, that's totally cool and makes the lives of those fond of E-scale so much easier.

On a different note, anyone who follows the Github version is welcome to try the TAC-LS patch by me, located in /Tantares/Patches/TAC. As you will see, there's two of them, for the 6-hour stock Kerbal day (active by default) and for the 24-hour one. The numbers are based on real-life missions, common sense and the assumption that Mir was built over the span of years, not days. Naturally, they aren't rock solid, so if you have anything to add or say about this, throw it my or Beale's way.

13 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I thought Kosmos-3 rockets used that single-nozzled engine with gimbal motors, not a Soyuz upper stage-looking engine, though?

IIRC, this is the first stage engine, the one currently looking like "one cone, four nozzles"

Edited by TK-313

3 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

what booster is required to put a polyus into orbit? I have now spent two hours fighting with a modified proton k, and finally a proton k with SRB strap ons, and still cannot manage to manhandle this bloody thing up.

Mounting it on an Energia core with 4 Zenit boosters should work, whether the Polyus is strapped to the side (historical) or placed on top (non-historical).

5 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

parts list please? frustration level with getting this put up is...high.

You can launch it easier with this setup.
Launching on Energia is quite difficult, so if you just want to throw it up this is better.

GAGr22C.png

Of course if you load up Polyus heavily, this might not be enough, but for a mostly empty fuselage it is fine.

12 hours ago, TK-313 said:

@Beale, I believe this belongs in the standard package. Honestly, that's totally cool and makes the lives of those fond of E-scale so much easier.

On a different note, anyone who follows the Github version is welcome to try the TAC-LS patch by me, located in /Tantares/Patches/TAC. As you will see, there's two of them, for the 6-hour stock Kerbal day (active by default) and for the 24-hour one. The numbers are based on real-life missions, common sense and the assumption that Mir was built over the span of years, not days. Naturally, they aren't rock solid, so if you have anything to add or say about this, throw it my or Beale's way.

Thanks @unclepirog Yes I will include that with the next release, with your blessing!

Many thanks for the TAC-LS patch, people should know a lot of effort went into that from you :D

Edited by Beale

2 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

and the parts list to BUILD it?

Let's chill out a bit :)

I will upload a bunch of craft files when I can. but the individual parts even I can't remember (And I made them!)

Launcher above is mostly Zenit fuel tanks and engines, should be able to steal that pretty straightforwardly.

Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

sorry...just two hours fighting a stack that by rights should be able to manage the job...for crying out loud they built mir with a proton k..and well..yeah I'll just play around with polyus for a bit.

Fortunately for real life they don't have to deal with Physx ;)
Let me know if you have further problems, if you have a craft file I can troubleshoot that.

Slowing down a little, I have moved to a new main PC for dev so it takes a while to get started again.

u24jOHY.png

@RaiderMan from my experience, hanging the Polyus on the bottom side of Energia (where the boosters are closer together) makes the balance of the package similar to conventional rockets, at least until the boosters are jetissoned. Also you have to make sure you're not launching sideways, because off-center boosters with an off-center payload do not go well with a roll maneuver, at least from what I saw. With a combination of these two tricks the thing went up like a charm.

9 hours ago, TK-313 said:

@RaiderMan from my experience, hanging the Polyus on the bottom side of Energia (where the boosters are closer together) makes the balance of the package similar to conventional rockets, at least until the boosters are jetissoned. Also you have to make sure you're not launching sideways, because off-center boosters with an off-center payload do not go well with a roll maneuver, at least from what I saw. With a combination of these two tricks the thing went up like a charm.

I sent it up like @Beale recommended, akimbo style in that pic he posted. took me a few tries before I figured out the maximum altitude I could get and still have enough fuel to circularize.

28 minutes ago, iplayksp said:

I'm trying to build Zarya and Zvezda for my ISS. What parts would I want to use for them?

Currently working on craft files, but Zvezda is pretty easy, at it's core just this:bX6cXLh.png

You can narrow down the parts for Zvezda and Zarya by searching "MIR" and "FGB" in the VAB search bar (I should probably add Zarya/Zvezda/ISS tags).

Zvezda is a little more complex to build, so I may wait for craft files unless somebody has a good screenshot for that. :wink:

Just now, Beale said:

Currently working on craft files, but Zvezda is pretty easy, at it's core just this:bX6cXLh.png

You can narrow down the parts for Zvezda and Zarya by searching "MIR" and "FGB" in the VAB search bar (I should probably add Zarya/Zvezda/ISS tags).

Zvezda is a little more complex to build, so I may wait for craft files unless somebody has a good screenshot for that. :wink:

Thanks!