[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

3 hours ago, lindemherz said:

The NK-33 had the turbopump to the side; so they looked stockier. Beale's either has a vertically integrated powerhead/thrust structure or he hasn't modeled the pumps yet. Here's a pic of the NK-33

0KCUiAw.jpg

Also, in the N-1, the engines were a lot closer to the stage, and had a circular thrust load structure they connected to, making everything look stockier

QLuXhFN.jpgzWsHIgW.jpg

(Renders by Nick Stevens, who did the technical drawings for the N-1 For the Moon and Mars book)

Nice renders!

I had to simplify the turbo-pump for the sake of polycount I think, it would have been a little too high for comfort with all the detail (And I'm not that good of a 3D modeler!).

I might do a standalone NK-33  with turbo-pump greeble that you can place like the stock vector engine.

3 hours ago, fallout2077 said:

Your modelling and texturing expertise and the beauty that results from it never cease to amaze me! You inspire me whenever I hit a roadblock in my own modelling work.

Very nice to hear :) 

3 hours ago, Joeybafoey said:

But on the subject of N-1, are the inter-stage fairings separated into 2 or 3 bits? In the real rockets it was 3.

Only two, to simplify UV mapping :) 

TantaresLV WIP

A little of the Blok-B (incomplete) for you to play with. The N-III (Blok-V and Blok-G) is a great small launch vehicle!

gBpRIFs.png
0U7xSbp.png

I am planning to also make an 'aero' version of the engines, with the fairings attached permanenetly. 

ZXeF6gZ.png

@CobaltWolf @benjee10, you have won me over, I will make the struts thicker :wink: 

Edited by Beale

11 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

Maybe the "aero" version should be in a different color scheme ?(ahem,white N1:cool:)

I would love to, but it might be tricky on the texture space :)

4 hours ago, tjsnh said:

Beta of the N1 parts seems to work pretty good.
Absolutely love the exhaust visuals with these parts and the exposed nozzles.

Thanks!

It needs custom FX for sure.

FWdG9eJ.png
lAwLW4x.png
iI5Hl1c.jpg
qEmhbS1.png
ZH86rP2.png
QEQEv5N.png

2 hours ago, Beale said:

I would love to, but it might be tricky on the texture space :)

Thanks!

It needs custom FX for sure.

FWdG9eJ.png
lAwLW4x.png
iI5Hl1c.jpg
qEmhbS1.png
ZH86rP2.png
QEQEv5N.png

Can Blok G be just a teensy weensy bit wider please :blush:? Maybe 2.38 meters?

Also, and I don't really know how this works, as the ablator on the pods wares away, they turn black, which isn't exactly realistic. Maybe, if there's a way to replace this, it could instead slowly transition from your texture, to another one that looks something like what a real Soyuz would look like having just landed.Image result for soyuz landed

Hey there @Beale first off, love the mod.

I've come quite late to tantares (my poor old potato had enough with just adding in scansat, remote tech and tac!) but now I have a shiny new machine :)

I was just wondering if you had photos from developing tantares showing which parts were originally designed to build which ship. I've been scanning the 500+ pages getting a rough idea!

(as that this feels like an email I'll finish it properly) 

regards

Kertech

On 15/11/2016 at 2:01 AM, Joeybafoey said:

Also, and I don't really know how this works, as the ablator on the pods wares away, they turn black, which isn't exactly realistic. Maybe, if there's a way to replace this, it could instead slowly transition from your texture, to another one that looks something like what a real Soyuz would look like having just landed.Image result for soyuz landed

It would be requiring a plugin :( 

On 15/11/2016 at 9:34 AM, Kertech said:

Hey there @Beale first off, love the mod.

I've come quite late to tantares (my poor old potato had enough with just adding in scansat, remote tech and tac!) but now I have a shiny new machine :)

I was just wondering if you had photos from developing tantares showing which parts were originally designed to build which ship. I've been scanning the 500+ pages getting a rough idea!

(as that this feels like an email I'll finish it properly) 

regards

Kertech

Good evening.

You can find the manual included with the download, or CaptKordite's craft files or the imgur album.
Unfortunately they are no more resources than these.

Kind regards,

L.

7 hours ago, Beale said:

Unfortunately they are no more resources than these.

If you like, I can add onto that manual to include more guides to the crafts. I can't promise that I can devote huge portions of time to it during the week though, as I have loads of homework on weekdays.

(But I do have a 3-day weekend this week and am off for Thursday, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday of next week, so I could probbaly get a lot done then)

Edited by Joeybafoey

14 hours ago, Joeybafoey said:

If you like, I can add onto that manual to include more guides to the crafts. I can't promise that I can devote huge portions of time to it during the week though, as I have loads of homework on weekdays.

(But I do have a 3-day weekend this week and am off for Thursday, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday of next week, so I could probbaly get a lot done then)

If you know LaTeX and can help out that would be great! :)

(To be honest I was going to rewrite it in html)

Edited by Beale

33 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

No, LaTeX is typesetting software for laying out technical documentation.

Oooooooooh. Yeah, I don't know how to do that presently. I was thinking putting pics into a Word or Google Docs, adding the instructions, and formatting it to look nice. I can probably learn to use that though.

Edited by Joeybafoey

Ok so I had a crack at making the textures myself. I salvaged a bunch of stuff from other textures.

tt2SoX3.png

Thoughts?

At this point I'll probably just use this for personal use, but if you want, @Beale, I can give it to you to use in the mod.

Oh also, I've been having issues flying the Vostok command pod in game. There seems to be an issue with the capsule's drag. I've had to go in and mess around with the config file just so that it doesn't smash into the ground at mach 5 whenever I try to re-enter with it.

Edited by Third_OfFive

Hello Beale

I have noticed the config files need some work since 1.2.  The parachute configs, engine configs, categories....

I went back a few pages and didn't see anything mentioned about it.  (Probably mentioned the page before I stopped looking LOL.)

I have already modified a parachute config and tested it and would be happy to help update the files if you want and if no one is already doing them.  If you are cool with that, I currently have version 37.1 and could start working on parachute configs today. (Or whichever.)

On 19/11/2016 at 4:50 PM, Leszek said:

Hello Beale

I have noticed the config files need some work since 1.2.  The parachute configs, engine configs, categories....

I went back a few pages and didn't see anything mentioned about it.  (Probably mentioned the page before I stopped looking LOL.)

I have already modified a parachute config and tested it and would be happy to help update the files if you want and if no one is already doing them.  If you are cool with that, I currently have version 37.1 and could start working on parachute configs today. (Or whichever.)

The current release was quickly put together (many thanks to mechtech). I'm currently working on a complete overhaul of (more or less) everything/ :) 

On 19/11/2016 at 6:20 PM, Third_OfFive said:

Imported it into unity. Having issues with PartTools, but I'll figure it out.

gTPZfjO.png

Looking good? I think it fits the Tantares theme pretty well. Just need to add props.

NNSYgkJ.jpg

Yeeeah... PartTools isn't playing nice..

Looks good!

I think the problems you are experiencing are likely layer related, I would have a look through the various threads on IVAs.

Large 3.75m decoupler.

CbfzXMu.png
b3oUHMW.png
bkeY0c6.png

Everything lives on one 256x256
7svSxY2.png

Colour scheme changes?

oi2y1FY.png

Edited by Beale

On 11/21/2016 at 1:44 PM, Beale said:

Everything lives on one 256x256
7svSxY2.png

Colour scheme changes?

oi2y1FY.png

Jesus, Beale, that's gorgeous. Totally dig the new scheme. And I'm always amazed at how much mileage you can get out a single texture sheet. 

Engineering nitpicking time!

On the third stage, the long boxes on the fuselage of the stage should be aligned with the engine mounts. In real life they were covers for fuel lines that went over the liquid oxygen tank, so it would be easier for them to go straight into the engines instead to have to do two 90 deg turns inside the thrust structure.

On the second stage, the last fixture for the engine thrust structures/turbopump assembly/etc. is that dark grey thick strut right before the orange stripes, and roughly halfway between the powerheads/engine bells and the thrust attachment point to the stage. Considering the power of the engines we're dealing with, in real life that could allow the engine mount a lot of room to vibrate before these vibrations reach an structural element that damps them (one of the reasons why in real life powerheads are fastened to something sturdier as soon as possible in the vertical axis, even going through the hassle of putting the turbopumps to the side of the powerhead). Vibrating powerheads + vibrating fuel lines = pogo. Although there is a strut ring right after the orange stripe, these struts would transfer those vibrations to and from the other engines, not really solving that. I would probably just pull down the dark grey fixture from before the orange stripe to were the strut ring is, if not even a bit further down, perhaps changing them into a triangular structure like the third stage struts or having the triangular structure and the original fixture if you can spare the polys. Btw, structurally speaking, if we are dealing with the same engines, the third stage should have similarly robust fixtures, although the length of their assemblies is short enough to give it a pass.

Nitpicking apart, this thing looks beautiful and I'm more than aching to get Jeb stranded in Duna with it.

Edited by lindemherz

19 hours ago, lindemherz said:

Jesus, Beale, that's gorgeous. Totally dig the new scheme. And I'm always amazed at how much mileage you can get out a single texture sheet. 

Engineering nitpicking time!

On the third stage, the long boxes on the fuselage of the stage should be aligned with the engine mounts. In real life they were covers for fuel lines that went over the liquid oxygen tank, so it would be easier for them to go straight into the engines instead to have to do two 90 deg turns inside the thrust structure.

On the second stage, the last fixture for the engine thrust structures/turbopump assembly/etc. is that dark grey thick strut right before the orange stripes, and roughly halfway between the powerheads/engine bells and the thrust attachment point to the stage. Considering the power of the engines we're dealing with, in real life that could allow the engine mount a lot of room to vibrate before these vibrations reach an structural element that damps them (one of the reasons why in real life powerheads are fastened to something sturdier as soon as possible in the vertical axis, even going through the hassle of putting the turbopumps to the side of the powerhead). Vibrating powerheads + vibrating fuel lines = pogo. Although there is a strut ring right after the orange stripe, these struts would transfer those vibrations to and from the other engines, not really solving that. I would probably just pull down the dark grey fixture from before the orange stripe to were the strut ring is, if not even a bit further down, perhaps changing them into a triangular structure like the third stage struts or having the triangular structure and the original fixture if you can spare the polys. Btw, structurally speaking, if we are dealing with the same engines, the third stage should have similarly robust fixtures, although the length of their assemblies is short enough to give it a pass.

Nitpicking apart, this thing looks beautiful and I'm more than aching to get Jeb stranded in Duna with it.

Great feedback, thanks!

Very well spotted on the third stage, they were intended to align, but UV unwrapping got in the way. I suppose I could rotate the engine structure 45°...

I really appreciate the perspective on the structural side, I see what you mean yes :) 
It might be a good idea to add a second level of support onto the bottom of the structure. Maybe remove the side-ways ring?

More farings!

I have some time at last to play KSP, and the stock fairings are bumpy! 
These are flat and inline all the way from 1.25 to 3.75.

bzYYhN7.png