[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

@Beale Have you considered adding the ability to jettison the heat shield? Also, have you thought of making versions of the folding IGLA antennas (not the big one) that fold the opposite way? I like to put IGLA antennas on both the front and back of my Soyuzes, but having them on the back of the SM requires the fairing to be abnormally wide. Amazing job on what you've done so far! Looking forward to the alternate textures, especially.

On 11/11/2017 at 7:42 PM, Beale said:

What a pain!

The end result is finally something I am happy with, low-poly and should be a useful part.

ZAaUiP4.png
mkLXmf5.png

Just a thought - make it work like the grappler claw instead of a docking port. It would provide a little more niche use for the part, still allow it to be used for the LOK to grapple the LK without needing to make a new part for the LK to dock to it with, AND would provide some serious utility value given its small size vs the stock claw part.

4 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

@Beale Have you considered adding the ability to jettison the heat shield? Also, have you thought of making versions of the folding IGLA antennas (not the big one) that fold the opposite way? I like to put IGLA antennas on both the front and back of my Soyuzes, but having them on the back of the SM requires the fairing to be abnormally wide. Amazing job on what you've done so far! Looking forward to the alternate textures, especially.

Yep, I will fix the heatshield before releasing.

IGLA antenna - Yes! Actually, hopefully mesh-switch will allow this to be one part with a toggle however, currently they would need to be two parts.

5 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Honestly is this version of the orbital module even useful anymore?

I'm starting to think it should just be removed and you should just make an adapter for the other one instead.

Just saying.

@Beale

nKadqSg.png

Good point, the 0.625m orbital modules are a little strange in 2017, but, people still seem to use them (I think?).

36 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

Just a thought - make it work like the grappler claw instead of a docking port. It would provide a little more niche use for the part, still allow it to be used for the LOK to grapple the LK without needing to make a new part for the LK to dock to it with, AND would provide some serious utility value given its small size vs the stock claw part.

That would be very interesting, but I'm not even sure at all where to start for the claw :/
I don't think a tutorial has ever been put together, and the config is a little unclear:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGrappleNode
        nodeTransformName = ArticulatedCap
        deployAnimationController = 1
        nodeType = size1
        captureRange = 0.06
        captureMinFwdDot = 0.733
        captureMaxRvel = 1
    }

Still some work to do here.

1z8tjoe.png Flag should be placed on the rear of the capsule.
yXMYhA6.png

Edited by Beale

@BealeOne other thing I've noticed. When I'm using the more modern Service Module, the engine will only use Monoprop, and the LFO tanks are untouched. I had to use Hyperedit to keep refilling my MP tanks so my crew could return home. Am I just doing something wrong, or is that a thing right now. I know it's still in development, so I'm just asking.

4 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

@BealeOne other thing I've noticed. When I'm using the more modern Service Module, the engine will only use Monoprop, and the LFO tanks are untouched. I had to use Hyperedit to keep refilling my MP tanks so my crew could return home. Am I just doing something wrong, or is that a thing right now. I know it's still in development, so I'm just asking.

Damn! Nice find.
Yep, I was experimenting using MonoProp on the main service module, before deciding to use that for the "retro" engine. This will be fixed.

Once again, no warrant :wink: 
This might already be fixed, btw - is this the most recent Github release?

Edited by Beale

8 minutes ago, Beale said:

Damn! Nice find.
Yep, I was experimenting using MonoProp on the main service module, before deciding to use that for the "retro" engine. This will be fixed.

Once again, no warrant :wink: 
This might already be fixed, btw - is this the most recent Github release?

Seems to be. Downloaded it yesterday at 17:33 US Eastern Time.

6 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

That's easy: replace on  _Soyuz_Heatshield_1.cfg under ModuleDecouple with this:

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleDecouple
    ejectionForce = 100
    isOmniDecoupler = false
    explosiveNodeID = top
    menuName = Jettison Heatshield
    stagingEnabled = False
    stagingEnableText = HS Decouple Not Staged
    stagingDisableText = HS Decouple Staged
}

5 hours ago, Beale said:

That would be very interesting, but I'm not even sure at all where to start for the claw :/
I don't think a tutorial has ever been put together, and the config is a little unclear:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGrappleNode
        nodeType = size1
        captureRange = 0.06
        captureMinFwdDot = 0.733
        captureMaxRvel = 1
    }

Still some work to do here.

1z8tjoe.png Flag should be placed on the rear of the capsule.
yXMYhA6.png

Very nice, but I did like the old cloth-ish texture you had around the windows.

15 hours ago, Beale said:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGrappleNode
        nodeType = size1
        captureRange = 0.06
        captureMinFwdDot = 0.733
        captureMaxRvel = 1
    }

In one of the preview pics you showed it with the 4 little "arms" at the top - if there was an animation (perhaps, deploying those little arms) that might be a valid target for the nodeTransformName config. I'd volunteer to play around with it myself, but I've got zero experience with animations in wings3d/unity (I've only made 3 or 4 VERY basic parts "from scratch").

If a beta of the part with a animation for the arms were to mysteriously appear, I'd volunteer to fiddle around with the config files to try and make it work ;-) ;-)

On 13/11/2017 at 9:37 PM, DJ Reonic said:

Seems to be. Downloaded it yesterday at 17:33 US Eastern Time.

Should be available now.

20 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Very nice, but I did like the old cloth-ish texture you had around the windows.

We may yet see :wink: 

10 hours ago, tjsnh said:

In one of the preview pics you showed it with the 4 little "arms" at the top - if there was an animation (perhaps, deploying those little arms) that might be a valid target for the nodeTransformName config. I'd volunteer to play around with it myself, but I've got zero experience with animations in wings3d/unity (I've only made 3 or 4 VERY basic parts "from scratch").

If a beta of the part with a animation for the arms were to mysteriously appear, I'd volunteer to fiddle around with the config files to try and make it work ;-) ;-)

When I have a little more breathing room we can take a look at that :) 

It's lacking props, I know!

lJPiwR5.png

Oh by the way, they are on GitHub right now!

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

lJPiwR5.png

Oh by the way, they are on GitHub right now!

YES! I love the new upright seating in the orbital modules. The old sideways version was lame.

Also could you  perhaps send me the IVA textures? I'd like to make another IVA for one of your salyut parts and they could be useful.

22 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

so would I be right in assuming an update's been released for this pack?

Nope, still a few days away at minimum.

21 hours ago, kopapaka said:

???

Untitled2.jpg?ver=0

:D

Yes! Nice inspiration material!

21 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Also could you  perhaps send me the IVA textures? I'd like to make another IVA for one of your salyut parts and they could be useful.

Everything is uploaded to Github nightly.

0X2PCal.jpg
SLRe1VQ.png

Hey Beale! You might want to check out http://space-architect.com/en/; the closest thing to an official website I could find for Galina Balashova, the actual interior designer for manned soviet spacecraft (after Vostok, Korolyov not only wanted them life-supporting, but livable). @kopapaka's picture is one of her designs.

Edited by lindemherz

2 hours ago, Deltac said:

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!  :P

I think I am out the loop here :confused:

5 hours ago, Legcutter said:

The Soyuz progress (:rolleyes:) is great)

But maybe consider adding some couches? Orbital module was made for habitation needs (like eating&sleeping), not storage.

71f8jq2ob7l.jpg?nocache=443251

Nice more cool concept art!

Right now I have very little patience for more IVA work, they drain all my energy ;.;, but after the initial release of this new Soyuz I think will revisit the Orb module like this:

FP6dMNk.png

1 hour ago, Kerbal01 said:

Plans for a Zenit? Kosmos 3 is nearly useless payload wise and Soyuz does more than i need for most flights.

Balancing thought: could you make the Kosmos 3 2nd stage sound different, its annoying.

Zenit would be significantly more powerful than the Soyuz, I recommend you just knock two boosters from the Soyuz for lighter missions.

Re: Engine sounds, no-body else has complained, personally no problems.

5 minutes ago, Beale said:

I think I am out the loop here 

In the quote, you said Github is updated nightly, yet the last update was 2 days ago.  Was poking fun at you, nothing serious, no problems, nothing to see here!  xP

2 minutes ago, Deltac said:

In the quote, you said Github is updated nightly, yet the last update was 2 days ago.  Was poking fun at you, nothing serious, no problems, nothing to see here!  xP

Aha!

Well, at least we are passed the dark days of July-August :) 

j9NC1QK.png

56 minutes ago, Beale said:

Nice more cool concept art!

Right now I have very little patience for more IVA work, they drain all my energy ;.;, but after the initial release of this new Soyuz I think will revisit the Orb module like this:

FP6dMNk.png

These drawings are original concepts of Soyuz interior back from 60s, easily googlable.
The one you're trying to re-make at your screenshot is one of the latest concept variants, the one I posted was approved by Sergei Korolyov and implemented IRL.

Got some more interesting stuff here. (warning: russian letters :D)

Edited by Legcutter