[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Github

Solar panels Almaz. There is not yet a tilted version so far,  so you might struggle to put these in a 2.5m fairing.
The crew module also has fuel now - but still has changes required.

Very good, very good, but you forgot to convert the Vega engines back to Monoprop ;P Now we can conquer into space!

B4CPQlc.png

Voskhod hype >:O

Edited by Deltac

20 hours ago, Beale said:

Solar panels Almaz.

51ukrjK.png

Great news, Beale, but I`m a little confused - first iteration of these were resembling the IRL panels closely, and compared to them the released ones look like... a little bit boring, maybe.

ctQboRf.png 

@Beale Since the most recent commit, the small RCS engine plumes are huge, lag like crazy and I can't see which directions they're firing (I haven't checked the large RCS engines or the LK lander's... thing), and the Blok-D engine's RCS plumes have been broken since the dawn of time. I'm unsure if these issues have been mentioned before. The Almaz panels also don't track the sun, though I'm only assuming they're supposed to, given only the Soyuz and Fobos panels don't.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

14 hours ago, Legcutter said:

Great news, Beale, but I`m a little confused - first iteration of these were resembling the IRL panels closely, and compared to them the released ones look like... a little bit boring, maybe.

ctQboRf.png 

I was wondering if anybody would notice :wink: 

Yes, I am thinking of Left and Right variants, if there is enough space.

5 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Beale Since the most recent commit, the small RCS engine plumes are huge, lag like crazy and I can't see which directions they're firing (I haven't checked the large RCS engines or the LK lander's... thing), and the Blok-D engine's RCS plumes have been broken since the dawn of time. I'm unsure if these issues have been mentioned before. The Almaz panels also don't track the sun, though I'm only assuming they're supposed to, given only the Soyuz and Fobos panels don't.

FX will be resolved for main release, for the panels, yes correct they do not intend to rotate.

2 minutes ago, Beale said:

I think this may have been mentioned before, but perhaps you could do something similar to BDB's Skylab panels with the old Soyuz (and perhaps Almaz) panels, with a single variant that can be switched, to avoid driving people's OCD crazy trying to align them.

21 minutes ago, Beale said:

I was wondering if anybody would notice :wink: 

I didn't dare to ask. :/ If that possible, i'm also interested. like @Legcutter i think the actual version is great but a little boring maybe.

If you want to keep only one part, maybe make the "angle cut" on the left and the right... not really like the real panel, but more pleasant to look.

But yeah i suppose make a Left and Right panels is the only solution, if you want to keep the real look. Make what you love @Beale Great work

1 hour ago, Beale said:

One more thing, should the panels be "rippled" (I.E. not flat) or not when unfolded?  See @Deltac's cool post above for the difference.

not flat for me. I love the look "vintage" of the solar panel with this "wave"

Just a little wave could be fine like that maybe:

fig1-1.jpg

I think the ripple might add a bit of depth to the panels.  Flat just seems 2D for panels of this size, but there are big panels that are flattened out after unfolding.  I say we try the ripple since it looks like people are voting for that!

All these panels are unfolded via dozens of joints and springs, thus it's the rippled variant I`d prefer, too.
But yet, it's gonna be another gigaton of your fine work, @Beale, so no pressure :blush:

Spoiler

4fce128e66204e6583991810a5845bd3.jpg

CxsG-HXXAAAwkFK.jpg

Edited by Legcutter
Because

6 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Though I prefer the rippled effect, they weren't rippled IRL, so no.

Interesting, is there a source? I had thought they were rippled.

Some kind of ripple pattern is possible, below is not great, but I can follow the angles shown in the image from @Well.

But, it does look a little strange, as it may first go flat to cleanly unfold.

V7mCY6G.png

Edited by Beale

23 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Beale I don't have any sources, but most pictures of Almaz I've seen show it's panels unrippled, I suppose you could just make rippled and unrippled variants to satisfy both crowds, if it's not too much effort of course.

12 hours ago, TK-313 said:

From the way the panel unfolds, I'd say unrippled. Otherwise there may be screams of "How is it physically possible?"

After a little more digging, I have found a way to ripple and  unfold, like so:

giphy.gif
tpxcYvM.jpg

Unfortunately (even with wrapped variants) the panels are too thick to fit in a fairing, I will probably need to modify them a lot to put them more comfortably (Wrapped variant would probably actually not be required anyway then).
Left and Right variants in progress.

5omgOi3.jpg

Reduce space between panels (modest saving)
clOTk3P.png
Lb23vfS.png

Reduce thickness of panels (big saving!)

bbAELUH.png
g89TgBq.png

Edited by Beale

9 hours ago, Beale said:

Unfortunately (even with wrapped variants) the panels are too thick to fit in a fairing, I will probably need to modify them a lot to put them more comfortably (Wrapped variant would probably actually not be required anyway then).
5omgOi3.jpg

IИ S0VIET ЯUSSIA ШE MAKE S0LAЯ BЯICKS И0T PAИELS

Also, it's kinda funny that making them panels requre so much of a real engineering skill of finding ways for fitting the unfittable. Beale should probably work for NASA afrer this one :D
giphy.gif

Edited by Legcutter