[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 3/9/2019 at 6:45 PM, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

can you @ me when you get around to it? pls

...No? 
it's going to take a good while and is low priority.

18 hours ago, Deltac said:

Remember when Cargo Dragon visited MIR?

dEA4NgW.png

I have a strangely similar memory, but different. Maybe @damonvv can explain this strange time travel effect.

Q9sM3Nc.jpg

18 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

They did it before Apollo 8 !

soyuz_a_7k_moon_flight_by_discoslelge-dd

1552180589-220200-20190309221610-1.png

This is the Soyuz 7k-9k-11k early concept for circumlunar mission planned for 1965-66

Awesome craft! And what can I say about the poster? Amazing and I think among your most detailed so far :wub:

18 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Ur beautiful

*For reference*
screenshot3.png?width=1123&height=702

screenshot34.png?width=1123&height=702

Polyus + TKS = so_good.png

I love these Polyus builds!

I struggle to fly it on Energia myself, but some results:

syHF5OQ.png

3 hours ago, Deltac said:

Shuttle docking was so smooth

O3lnRuI.png

I summon New Page in attack mode!

I never imagined this combo, I like it... :P

More stuff on Github

+ New cores / docking ports + more kOS support.

iCgCVnE.png
H7yrVON.jpg
eyxYOaZ.png
qXlLBOi.png
89ps7iu.jpg

Edited by Beale

mm9BZz3.png

Things I learned rerererererere-building MIR:

1. Those side tanks don't contain monoprop anymore.  Need to add spheres!
  2. There are spheres for monoprop and spheres for LFO.  Guess which spheres I put on a module and thought I could dock?
  3. Jeb wants to pilot everything
  4. MechJeb docking got even better.  The shuttle docks like a dream.
  5. Cormorant shuttle can re-enter backwards safely.
  6. Proton Second Stage engine is too heavy.  I reduced to 2.25 tons and don't have any flipping problems with the set up I'm using.
  7. I can still stay up to midnight playing KSP.
  8. Kerbals don't like the Soviet National Anthem played nonstop 24/7.

Okay, so I thought the craft files were messed up... Turns out I installed TantaresLV incorrectly. Now I can load the crafts no issue, other than a few missing parts.

KopernicusSolarPanel? ModuleDockingPortNamed? Not sure what those are for.

I'm having an issue with KIS though. Kvant-1 and other modules don't seem to have their own Inventory? They want me to stick a kerbal in the module to have inventory? What am I doing wrong now? 

Some time travel here too, launching Salyut... but on Buran

Idj4OqQh.png

I'm using Pulsar's LH2 patch which is working really well at 2.5x scale.

kSQKcqvh.png

JYvPr9bh.png

nEC8Dy6h.png

Korelov's @Beale's cross

2oY1C4wh.png

Universal storage 2 bays (with porkjet texture) seem to work nicely with Tantares stations though it might throw off the proportion a bit

yJ22kEfh.png

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Very cool build! I'm getting ready to launch one of these, albeit with a different payload. Two things real quick: how to keep the booster away from the wing on separation? And I didn't know that the boosters separated in two pairs. That sounds like a ***** to keep the thrust balanced at/after separation.

ill have to look for this lh2 patch, I didn't know someone made one. 

45 minutes ago, komodo said:

Very cool build! I'm getting ready to launch one of these, albeit with a different payload. Two things real quick: how to keep the booster away from the wing on separation? And I didn't know that the boosters separated in two pairs. That sounds like a ***** to keep the thrust balanced at/after separation.

ill have to look for this lh2 patch, I didn't know someone made one. 

It IS a little tricky to fly but its not too bad. I recommend grabbing the craft file from Cormorant Aeronology. The Petrel craft file includes the Tantares Energia. The boosters have been set up with separation SRBs properly so that it separates cleanly (I've done it with the orbiter on the bottom and craft nearly horizontal).

The engines have a good gimbal range though so so long as you're alert and keep control of the throttle if needed you should be OK.

Dropping the boosters I find isnt the most critical point, the COM doesnt change too much as both pairs have emptied. I find the close to MECO where the centre tank is nearly empty harder to manage.

If you've not found it already heres the link to the patch by Pulsar. 

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

It IS a little tricky to fly but its not too bad. I recommend grabbing the craft file from Cormorant Aeronology. The Petrel craft file includes the Tantares Energia. The boosters have been set up with separation SRBs properly so that it separates cleanly (I've done it with the orbiter on the bottom and craft nearly horizontal).

The engines have a good gimbal range though so so long as you're alert and keep control of the throttle if needed you should be OK.

Dropping the boosters I find isnt the most critical point, the COM doesnt change too much as both pairs have emptied. I find the close to MECO where the centre tank is nearly empty harder to manage.

If you've not found it already heres the link to the patch by Pulsar. 

Thanks much! I may have to juice the patch up a bit for 3.2x, but that's no big deal.

what I normally do for these asymmetrical stacks is use ... god, I just blanked on the name... PreciseRCS?, to set the angle of the boosters to zero out any torque as much as possible. It works pretty well if you fill the core to half, set the angle on the motors for that configuration and then do the same for a fullly fueled stack via the booster motors. I haven't tried it on this stack yet (KCT + 3 am syndrome), but I have had (some) success with some Saturn-Buran abominations in the past.

bad news is the new/shiny mechjeb launch guidance hates offset payloads, so either a manual launch or the older guidance method is in order. (I have no problem with autopilots: they're both more accurate and harder than doing it manually :P )

18 hours ago, finkmac said:

Okay, so I thought the craft files were messed up... Turns out I installed TantaresLV incorrectly. Now I can load the crafts no issue, other than a few missing parts.

KopernicusSolarPanel? ModuleDockingPortNamed? Not sure what those are for.

I'm having an issue with KIS though. Kvant-1 and other modules don't seem to have their own Inventory? They want me to stick a kerbal in the module to have inventory? What am I doing wrong now? 

Hmmmmph, it seems that mods I play with are passively added to the craft files... what a pain.
Still, the crafts should load absolutely no problem - let me know of any problems.

I will fix the issue with KIS - Kvant-1 is currently missing from the patch which explains your issue.

20 hours ago, Deltac said:

mm9BZz3.png

Things I learned rerererererere-building MIR:

1. Those side tanks don't contain monoprop anymore.  Need to add spheres!
  2. There are spheres for monoprop and spheres for LFO.  Guess which spheres I put on a module and thought I could dock?
  3. Jeb wants to pilot everything
  4. MechJeb docking got even better.  The shuttle docks like a dream.
  5. Cormorant shuttle can re-enter backwards safely.
  6. Proton Second Stage engine is too heavy.  I reduced to 2.25 tons and don't have any flipping problems with the set up I'm using.
  7. I can still stay up to midnight playing KSP.
  8. Kerbals don't like the Soviet National Anthem played nonstop 24/7.

Nice build! (Might I steal this for the MIR image on the front?).

I will take a look at the Proton balance many thanks, you are having some problems flipping?

21 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Beale Are you still planning on different colour variants of the FGB parts?

Yes, as soon as I decide which colour (Either green or cream).

12 hours ago, Salmon said:

Hi Beale, I have a problem - I can't seem to find the Polyus parts when I play - is it just my subconscious FOMO or am I missing something?

Currently still unreleased, but if you want the work-in-progress version, you can grab it on GitHub :) (Download the whole repository as ZIP).

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Universal storage 2 bays (with porkjet texture) seem to work nicely with Tantares stations though it might throw off the proportion a bit

yJ22kEfh.png

These are just amazing! The crafts alone are spectacular, but the post-processing is just a whole new level.

The last photo in particular almost looks like an IRL toy/model :D .

The real question is, do you mind if I use some of these gorgeous pictures?

Polyus Core

This took 197 hours to render, I hope you are happy. I had to buy an extra 8K of memory to handle the colours.

Gcbi9XO.png

Spoiler

aemFloG.png
Z5RIaZo.png

Edited by Beale

34 minutes ago, Beale said:

Might I steal this for the MIR image on the front?

Oh yeah sure! :D

34 minutes ago, Beale said:

I will take a look at the Proton balance many thanks, you are having some problems flipping?

I was, but I do reduce the fuel loads in all the tanks, fuel and oxidizer is expensive!  I think the main problem is just the 2nd stage engine is too heavy for the amount of LFO I'm taking out of the upper stages, so I used an MM patch and reduced it from 4 tons to 2.25 tons, and my flipping went away.  I think I may have also adjusted the weight distribution to further fix the problem.

40 minutes ago, Beale said:

8K of memory

Man, you must be rich!

@Barzon Kerman The National Space Center in Leicester, a fantastic place (if a bit small compared to museums elsewhere)

i7fuU-_s9aR8ygTNAcO8Bo528c3Wk8DJk5A3zUtinTZiHtX26-WVN8umzvhXvtaRFDK7wXfGM5ND-llyikxCpBi1wW6RvFqq0AUoZCUXU_fxdJA7cFXhVU1f5FEaiI9Xmx0CLbXXX-sWnwUxglAvHQM8ccRyguU4C1k4PFPwZ80CTvAnegD-vxFD_8Uj_iABdWQij08QRIX-MwYDrOGxiFfmy-T8lUTz4s-K6ZyJaXgZuBt64t52Gm9fyS14p0khj38uo9AJWHL0yk83oe_OF8fwzB5YWiRgkWa2xXeyYUcm3KFPkc8O5hI3F6DGCrXATt2RDVtpQcdNMMPp3E_nNdFS9G6UUGy3evWvpcjabld-mN2sLZvLv9PFns5Ib-pykujVBML037RW2wGTjLB9I51t5hJXSZxR95PxgL6m99ksMHTFOb6_5YEAoYVDTQ_Qa9TQRY9Tg4CvH_Wzg-0kCH6uSCfoJlfTyjCtdABEgy2jeUZ_Ad0cC9sN3ZUt9tDi_n4pONjoz-qAvJyklkSdMADJgzgw1vP6VWVD1bEiAmOFwwa6MuN7txwcSQwt4aXplCSsxjELOVCijzvN2nV-gryaMrRI5CEI7rmdwaAuoxhiJmqGPle_VyTXbdFT6YVAiYunNQVB5QgfXtcWyrzSrb0rVesozP8=w1636-h920-no

vhPApYmcbOVmFXytbdhNH9n0i31ULJDFRyDs9DqWSK7lm3oAwQe9WVAOPOL7qy6LhMRYr_hCyNlYVbR03AUk2SuYJwAGSiDqrnujXY8N_Ng6Y6kjy1qAmu5Eepc4NzH5T-vfEcJ_Rg42Kgr4G4MUAZ0euOnYgf0TUaKjnP4WYPexzaPjaatBDhuy7tuhfCZmAYiTAJPp9rSbVMRvW2T5KxVhOOyQXxFu3F0UQIJk1ZBPiBM4TSSF6p57SBDldU5Dl1ERFpVTY3S-wO9jp8ikHei5_I3PXNuJcYqtJohn28lPqMdRaMXTyLEppo_h3CHEpWQEGGXI7uKub2l9C_KY3oRW1E-hl6dUs-I5HXP2NvNAN2gaSVNCL7iOK5JPCBVcF8et-8BRGcnwOLHLBcbl6f_2OXSXW_iCZY0Q1RtedfnF0iYWk-HNUvV0FXI8yqF0OSkupDNG2gBF_D_cyuvgXASTZCnMqO3SRmeRFKFwVUnImLtYidw8m3l05mYIirDlupyTqHzx0DoBA2ka1Y5zS1cfAdbt_qpJ-y2mM85WFr9Prdl6YrpzMEyEwy1b7JP6G70GEwX5M7_j0evMpy3foff454JbkiLXaCiCdpEk2Yg10EQdPGVOcZ3D_hw_JmXEq3cp00DIHb0P6UQdfoSylChnByZiyaM=w1636-h920-no

Upon returning home from the museum that night, I crafted this (7K-OK) in game thanks to Beale and @Drakenex's fantastic Tantares in Colours... should probably put 'em all up for public download sometime...

6 hours ago, Beale said:

These are just amazing! The crafts alone are spectacular, but the post-processing is just a whole new level.

The last photo in particular almost looks like an IRL toy/model :D .

The real question is, do you mind if I use some of these gorgeous pictures?

Thanks, please feel free! The KS3P config is Orbital Phoenix's but I think you're already aware of his config :) Still cant get mine to look as good as his screenshots though :P

21 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Some old Soyuz pics from a museum I visited a few years ago:

IMG_20171025_143244.jpgFaMXbXE.jpg

Oh man that is cool, I would love to visit!

18 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Somehow I had nothing better to do than replicate the redocking arm for the Mir modules. Somehow it works. Sometimes.

KmvNtn0.jpg

79gA2KS.jpg

TovjW52.jpg

Reference:

It actually works?! 

I really never thought I would see this, but that is super cool!

Yu7o5wJ.png
CWKViE2.jpg
a0qTcVQ.png

So is this part just a plain old metal cap?

No! You can also use it as a surface mount.

IisRfzV.png

2 hours ago, Beale said:

It actually works?! 

I really never thought I would see this, but that is super cool!

Thanks! Yes, it actually does... Somehow, sometimes. DockRotate is a great thing. DockRotate applied to PicoPorts is beyond awesome.

Actually, to successfully use this... contraption, you have to make sure you aren't trying to dock with more than one port at once. The probe really, really helps with that. Also, because of whatever dark magic the testbed TKS got stuck on the side node... Got to figure out why.

You all shared amazing stuff recently, so maybe I'll join the fun :wink:

lt0QiUL.png Space station Himmelsketårnet launch! The service module, those compute glitches don't stop us.
nDTsJin.png And the crew vehicle straight after!
X1wkTyt.jpg It's the Steingris! (
¿RockHog?)
DSGjImm.png There's the station, that's a familiar design...
IQg4wir.png Clumsy approach.
CNEP18T.png And together at last!
UJpIRAC.jpg What else? Trusses.
mnUxuNP.png Saying goodbye.
9OsQWTQ.png Dumping the KIS extras into the atmosphere.
MRTnIAJ.png Module 2 launch!
F7Kz3Cs.png He's fashionable.
KzoasCP.png And finally docked.

Edited by Beale