[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

29 minutes ago, iplayksp said:

I'm trying to build Zarya and Zvezda for my ISS. What parts would I want to use for them?

You'd want to use the FGB parts for Zarya and the DOS parts for Zvezda. At the moment you can't perfectly recreate Zvezda (colour schemes-wise), but you can create a very accurate Zarya as of the recent FGB revamp. Just fiddle around with various configurations of parts until you create something you like.

3 minutes ago, Beale said:

Added some basic Zvezda and Zarya craft files, it turns out I have them lying around.

Maybe better ones to come in future.

vcOp1Y8.png

ooh

10 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

The colouring being wrong to make a Zvesda. I think @Beale is hinting at new textures for those parts.

That's Exciting.

The Zenit is severely overpowered even compared to Soyuz, a completely stock Zenit with a Progress cargo ship payload has ~8,000m/s v. I have to reduce the fuel in the first stage by 40%, the thrust of the first stage engine by 50% and the fuel in the second stage by 70% to get a decent-feeling rocket.

Edited by golkaidakhaana
Miscounted

5 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

The Zenit is severely overpowered even compared to Soyuz, a completely stock Zenit with a Progress cargo ship payload has ~8,000m/s v. I have to reduce the fuel in the first stage by 40%, the thrust of the first stage engine by 50% and the fuel in the second stage by 70% to get a decent-feeling rocket.

Btw, RL Zenit is capable to lift twice as much payload to LEO (~14t vs ~7t of Soyuz)

12 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Yep, as mentioned the Zenit is a quite a lot more capable. 8,000m/s sounds a lot, but I think the Soyuz is quite light-weight.

I'll investigate, but it could be totally correct currently.

Does the 8,000m/s include the Soyuz itself?

3 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

All the rockets are overpowered. I understand Beale's reasoning, but maybe there's a way to make a MM patch that automatically reduces fuel and thrust to more realistic amounts.

S.m.u.r.f.f. is probably an easier workaround for this case - as a bonus it would bring all the stock parts down to realistic amounts also so you have a balanced playing field.

Edited by Beale

41 minutes ago, Beale said:

Yep, as mentioned the Zenit is a quite a lot more capable. 8,000m/s sounds a lot, but I think the Soyuz is quite light-weight.

I'll investigate, but it could be totally correct currently.

Does the 8,000m/s include the Soyuz itself?

Nope, with a Soyuz it goes up to ~9,000m/s and with a Progress it's higher still, ~10,000m/s. I failed to mention I have SMURFF installed with default settings because the Proton feels comparably underpowered mostly in the area of specific impulse. I did a direct comparison with Proton, Zenit has 8,500m/s v with a TKS payload whereas Proton has just over 8,400m/s, including the couple hundred m/s v in the TKS.

42 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Nope, with a Soyuz it goes up to ~9,000m/s and with a Progress it's higher still, ~10,000m/s. I failed to mention I have SMURFF installed with default settings because the Proton feels comparably underpowered mostly in the area of specific impulse. I did a direct comparison with Proton, Zenit has 8,500m/s v with a TKS payload whereas Proton has just over 8,400m/s, including the couple hundred m/s v in the TKS.

Okay that's very wrong, :D are you using thr latest github ver. Or official release? There are major balance fixes in the pipeline IIRC

43 minutes ago, Callistoan said:

Are there any updates on Kliper or anything?

I think Beale wants to avoid space planes.  The biggest issue would be having a space plane on the front of your soyuz.  It will flip the rocket!  The solution would be to have a folding wing Kliper that can then fit in a custom fairing assembly.  That of course would require that plugin that turns off the aerodynamic forces for wings, and Beale doesn't want to require other mods.

54 minutes ago, Callistoan said:

Are there any updates on Kliper or anything? While I love Polyus, I have been really hoping to have a counterpart to my mini American spaceplane. 

Yuck, Kliper, it's a ugly fat cone with wings! MAKS was the best/most interesting Russian spaceplane concept in my opinion.

But as stated above and a few times throughout the thread, Beale isn't going to be making spaceplanes any time soon, if ever.

3 hours ago, Callistoan said:

Are there any updates on Kliper or anything? While I love Polyus, I have been really hoping to have a counterpart to my mini American spaceplane. 

I'd like to do it in future, it's just a scenario like:

• Easy to use
  • Useful
  • Good aerodynamics

Pick two :D

2 hours ago, Deltac said:

I think Beale wants to avoid space planes.  The biggest issue would be having a space plane on the front of your soyuz.  It will flip the rocket!  The solution would be to have a folding wing Kliper that can then fit in a custom fairing assembly.  That of course would require that plugin that turns off the aerodynamic forces for wings, and Beale doesn't want to require other mods.

Surprisingly not true, there is no real obstacle to it, just kind of low priority.

2 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I've just realised that yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the first Meteor satellite launch and also the 7th anniversary of its' deorbit.

A date to remember :)

ZDmj2Cu.png

5 hours ago, Beale said:

kind of low priority.

I am sorry to keep asking questions, I just love Tantares. It is a really good mod that I have used for a long time and appreciate the effort you put into it. What are some high priority goals or things we can expect in future updates apart from launchers?

8 hours ago, Callistoan said:

I am sorry to keep asking questions, I just love Tantares. It is a really good mod that I have used for a long time and appreciate the effort you put into it. What are some high priority goals or things we can expect in future updates apart from launchers?

Sure thing - in the pipeline (Non launch vehicles):

• LK lander rework (Two stage/single stage options).
  • Tidy up of MIR core module parts (More options for ISS).
  • Thermal Blanket Soyuz.
  • Some Mir-1.5 / Mir-2 parts.

More general ideas:

• Larger lander (LEK?)
  • Mars excursion vehicle
  • Mars 96 - basically a variation on Fobos.

And a few things from @TK-313 now I remember :wink: 

• VA LES
  • Fixed / standardised fairings for all DOS / FGB modules. (I didn't forget! :D
Edited by Beale

On 3/28/2019 at 4:26 AM, Beale said:

Sure thing - in the pipeline (Non launch vehicles):

• LK lander rework (Two stage/single stage options).
  • Tidy up of MIR core module parts (More options for ISS).
  • Thermal Blanket Soyuz.
  • Some Mir-1.5 / Mir-2 parts.

More general ideas:

• Larger lander (LEK?)
  • Mars excursion vehicle
  • Mars 96 - basically a variation on Fobos.

And a few things from @TK-313 now I remember :wink: 

• VA LES
  • Fixed / standardised fairings for all DOS / FGB modules. (I didn't forget! :D

Is that 1.875m/etc R7 bulge tank and 2nd stage still in the works?

Edited by tjsnh

24 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

Is that 1.875m/etc R7 bulge tank and 2nd stage still in the works?

Yes, key part of the above post

in the pipeline (Non launch vehicles)

Ah I'm just being an ass :D Yes, R7 rework is immediately on the way along with the Kosmos!