[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Playing career mode, had a contract to build a station and then another to expand it. ended up spending triple the rewards but it was worth it :p

Features recolours by "Tantares now in colours" linked in OP.

2uZZKQYh.png

RN3JzwLh.png

O1RQCwch.png

S9roms6h.png

CMGuURWh.png

YUApuFqh.png

Nice one Beale! Just downloaded new Soyuz :D

48 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Playing career mode, had a contract to build a station and then another to expand it. ended up spending triple the rewards but it was worth it :p

2uZZKQYh.png

RN3JzwLh.png

O1RQCwch.png

S9roms6h.png

CMGuURWh.png

YUApuFqh.png

What's the size mod you used for Kerbin?

12 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

What's the size mod you used for Kerbin?

This is Galielos planet pack. I rescaled Gael (and the rest of the system) using Sigma Dimensions and Galielos Rescale! configs. I used the 2.5x scale config but I modified it to scale the body sizes to 2.6x (while keeping distanced at 2.5x).

21 hours ago, PatelPratham said:

@Beale I was only asking because in the RO game file it has some tantares configs but whenever I load the game they all say non RO

That`s because the RO-configs are old. Ask the RO-guys in the RO-thread for newer ones.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:09 AM, Beale said:

Very strange it is counting the full height of the parachute deployed.

Do you have a mod list  / game data screenshot?

6hoPmQ6.png
0tyFfOK.png
r3qf9Qp.jpg
Kpd0wCr.png

I think no need for that, because I only used your mods. I have found the engineer's reporting shows the length from the top of the parachutes to the ground instead of to the bottom of the parachutes, by dragging it in the VAB.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:24 PM, Zorg said:

Every single post of yours just knocks me off my feet. Please keep them coming! :wub:

On 4/29/2019 at 12:51 AM, PatelPratham said:

@Beale I was only asking because in the RO game file it has some tantares configs but whenever I load the game they all say non RO

Ah okay!

Yes I think for some reason Tantares has RO configs bundled in RO. Why that is... I'm not sure :D

But yes, definitely there is no RO compatibility (I'd need a RO-buddy to help me with that).

On 4/30/2019 at 5:03 AM, Hsinyu said:

I think no need for that, because I only used your mods. I have found the engineer's reporting shows the length from the top of the parachutes to the ground instead of to the bottom of the parachutes, by dragging it in the VAB.

Thanks - okay I think the next thing to try would be to delete the partdatabase.cfg from the KSP root directory. :)

Excuse the lack of progress recently - I have had to almost completely re-texture the Soyuz (More like a huge copy & paste excercise) to have a more efficient UV unwrap.
Some Eagle-eyed might spot changes already - but a few neat observations:

• You can make a bootleg Tsyklon with these parts.
  • 1.5m parts are now spun onto a separate sheet. If you have absolutely no interest in them, delete away!
  • So much room for engines, NK-33 could be a real possibility (no promises though).

Finally, a big thanks to everyone who voted! I think that poll is... conclusive.

CTHcneW.pngYCSAXzj.png5eeKLV7.png

Edited by Beale

Love the bootleg Tysklon 3 Beale :D

In the meantime I got round to flying the N1 for the first time in a long while and for the first time in a scaled system.

QbqpdC4h.png

F2oZrpfh.png

5LSBTqZh.png

Even on a 2.5x scale system (actually I'm playing 2.6 resize with 2.5x scale) the first 3 stages have a considerable excess of delta V. I under-fueled them to get the right profile but I dont think its a huge issue

Referring back to the conversation we had about N1 balance the only real problem is the anemic Blok G departure stage. Using stage 3 together with blok G can work but I wanted to follow the profile reasonably close so I used a larger procedural tank and MM patched the engine to 350s ISP like the real thing.

HzBG4Kfh.png

RYM0wryh.png

On Iota I used the blok D for insertion and then landed entirely on the landers own power. 

cyrjOhBh.png

3dXboFth.png

bvvThW7h.png

I later did a rescue mission at Ceti (using a small probe on the lander) which is only slightly smaller than the Mun and the mission worked out fine even at 2.6x scale by using the Blok D for deorbit and most of the way to the surface as some sources suggest. Not to mention a plane change during insertion and another plane adjustment for the landing, it wasnt a very clean mission but the blok D performed.

So really even on a scaled system its Blok G only that seems to need a buff, although as mentioned if you're willing to start the departure using stage 3, the entire craft does have more than enough Dv for 2.5ish scaled system

Full album
https://imgur.com/gallery/sal9amM

Edited by Zorg

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Even on a 2.5x scale system (actually I'm playing 2.6 resize with 2.5x scale) the first 3 stages have a considerable excess of delta V. I under-fueled them to get the right profile but I dont think its a huge issue

Referring back to the conversation we had about N1 balance the only real problem is the anemic Blok G departure stage. Using stage 3 together with blok G can work but I wanted to follow the profile reasonably close so I used a larger procedural tank and MM patched the engine to 350s ISP like the real thing. 

Hmm, I need to fly a mission of my own. Last time I flew an N-1 Mun mission in a 3.2x scaled Kerbin system the profile just came together without any modifications. Did the balance really change that much?

4 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

Hmm, I need to fly a mission of my own. Last time I flew an N-1 Mun mission in a 3.2x scaled Kerbin system the profile just came together without any modifications. Did the balance really change that much?

Oh I dont know when/if the N1 balance changed since you played. As it stands right now, Blok G has 880m/s of delta V with the LES jettisoned and everything above it fully fueled (and thats with my buff to 350s ISP). Enough for a Munar injection at 1x scale. However fully fueled, stages 1-3 has a cumulative delta V of around 6,800m/s. I had underfueled the first 3 stages but if you didnt care about following the IRL profile stage 3 can perform the entire translunar burn at 2.5x scale.

Anyway nitpicks aside its very nice to fly in a larger system (as with most rockets) and the mission profile is quite fun.

59 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Yikes, I was away for a while, wasn’t I?

Nice to have you back anyway!

Sadly yes, a lot of old parts were nipped, or moved into other mods (Gemini ex.) Or folks just came along and made better implementations so I removed them :)

A few more for the gallery :D

Energia M

YuElHVdh.jpg

EkLYHfdh.png

uMiXMR8h.png

Slightly modified from Tantares standard, the fairing is 4.5m and theres a conical procedural tank acting as an adapter.

Energia Polyus night launch

lqiYmPrh.png

XkddKYyh.png

And finally something that I thought might tickle your fancy @Beale, using the N1 grid fins on Procedural fairing to make Soyuz LES.

rZ3K3g0h.jpg

YU09v3Zh.png

PHbV11ih.png

not 100% accurate as the space craft engine is dragged along too. But I wasnt able to surface attach the grid fins in 4x symmetry when I tried to make a single side cylindrical fairing. (this one uses 4 sides). Also need to use an interstage base rather than a regular fairing base.

Instead of dropping the capsule from the bottom, I have to jettison the fairing sides and tower after clearing the booster, then jettison the engine and orbital module. But it looks the part which is the important thing!

Edited by Zorg

@Beale Hi there! It's the annoying KIS-Bug guy again. Short update: My issue (rockets getting stuck) seems to be caused by a very strange compatibility problem between KAS, KIS and Tantares. In other words: removing KAS seems to solve the problem for now.

I am now going to take this matter to the KAS-thread and will update you via PM if a solution might involve updating any Tantares-config-files.

@Zorg Those pics look great!

Edited by Jeb Jawkins

On 5/8/2019 at 1:48 PM, Zorg said:

A few more for the gallery :D

Energia M

Slightly modified from Tantares standard, the fairing is 4.5m and theres a conical procedural tank acting as an adapter.

Energia Polyus night launch

And finally something that I thought might tickle your fancy @Beale, using the N1 grid fins on Procedural fairing to make Soyuz LES.

not 100% accurate as the space craft engine is dragged along too. But I wasnt able to surface attach the grid fins in 4x symmetry when I tried to make a single side cylindrical fairing. (this one uses 4 sides). Also need to use an interstage base rather than a regular fairing base.

Instead of dropping the capsule from the bottom, I have to jettison the fairing sides and tower after clearing the booster, then jettison the engine and orbital module. But it looks the part which is the important thing!

The Polyus and Energia M are just perfect... Really it looks like a whole different mod :D I love it as ever.

The Soyuz LES is very cool though! I didn't think that was practical or feasible so i am pretty impressed... I wonder if that can be integrated into what we have now cleanly.

8 hours ago, Jeb Jawkins said:

@Beale Hi there! It's the annoying KIS-Bug guy again. Short update: My issue (rockets getting stuck) seems to be caused by a very strange compatibility problem between KAS, KIS and Tantares. In other words: removing KAS seems to solve the problem for now.

I am now going to take this matter to the KAS-thread and will update you via PM if a solution might involve updating any Tantares-config-files.

Many thanks! I will investigate more, I am due to clean up the KIS config for next release.

I am not dead (Very early WIP):

8wcSPFZ.png
6OqbrRs.png Just to demonstrate how out-of-proportion the old part was...
XNDBvMU.png

12 hours ago, Beale said:

The Soyuz LES is very cool though! I didn't think that was practical or feasible so i am pretty impressed... I wonder if that can be integrated into what we have now cleanly.

Hey Beale, unfortunately I don't think its possible to provide a clean out of the box solution without you creating a custom part for it. However if the user is willing to put a little effort in with PF its not so hard.

I have actually improved upon the original design:

This time I used two fairing bases.

1. A procedural interstage fairing base on top of the 2nd stage. The fairing length is set so that it provides the bottom half of the fairing

2. Another procedural interstage fairing (set to 4 attach nodes) upside down placed underneath the launch escape tower. Length is adjusted so that it meets the bottom half. Grid fins are placed on the bottom of these.

adkbmA4h.png

Abort scenario

Abort action group: decouples the capsule from the engine, activate LES tower. This takes the capsule along with just the top half of the fairing just like the real thing.

48LEpgOh.png

Second action group: decouple parachute from orbital module so that the capsule drops out from below. Activate parachute.

3t4WKtjh.png

while testing I realised the LES needs more fuel for a safe pad abort, its ok for in flight. The separation isn't so clean here since it was already falling back down when I decoupled the capsule.

Nominal fairing jettison:
Action group: Jettison bottom fairing sides, jettison top fairing sides, decouple the docking port, activate launch escape tower.

In a way this was all rather pointless as I always mash the revert button when things go wrong lol. But it was satisfying building the system. What I showed earlier is less convoluted and gives you the look without messing about too much though.

ps. Totally hyped for the new engines! Looking good.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:51 AM, Zorg said:

Hey Beale, unfortunately I don't think its possible to provide a clean out of the box solution without you creating a custom part for it. However if the user is willing to put a little effort in with PF its not so hard.

adkbmA4h.png

It's a nice guide however the case. I have linked it on the front - I have to try this too :D

BWEXu1e.png
eTqgkuv.png
sg3ZwN7.png

Edited by Beale

I personally think that more sizes will mean more effort, but will allow more creativity. Also, more sizes are always handy for peeps who don't have Tweakscale btw.
(This is to elaborate on my vote choice)

Edited by Starboost88
Clarified