[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Great Fuji!

Some things:

1) It seems to me that you forgot the hatch :)

2) How about to make fuel tanks texture more bright (like Near Future hydrogen tanks)? Currently it is too bleak to pass as golden foil, IMO.

3) Solar panels - do you plan to do a new part for Fuji, or re-use one of your other panels? I'm asking because old Fuji has one major design flaw - its solar panels were attached to the air :) I suggest making some holders, like that for RCS, that would be attached between fuel tanks.

yay! new fuji engine

I always liked it. It made a surprisingly good lander engine, both in aesthetics and performance.

Thankyou! Hopefully it will be as useful.

Why not just expand the texture field? Give you more room to fit in stuff?

EDIT: Also, I've been wondering if you're gonna be making any forays into spaceplanes? That'd be a good field for you to explore after you've pretty much done every capsule spacecraft.

The texture field: I think to expand it will just cause beyond too many problems.

I think: unfortunately the option is I will have to have two textures:

Tex1: Everything seen so far + Parachute (and Solar Panels?)

Tex2: Expansion module, with plenty leftover space for future Fuji related stuff (Robotic arm?)

Now that's a real beauty. I don't really like how most of your parts are so grey, so the Fuji being not-grey is awesome news for me!

Glad you are liking it :)

Beale, you seem to be on a quest to cut down your texture footprint as much as possible! I'm sure Kerbal players everywhere appreciate this!

Thanks! It's quite addictive.

Great Fuji!

Some things:

1) It seems to me that you forgot the hatch :)

2) How about to make fuel tanks texture more bright (like Near Future hydrogen tanks)? Currently it is too bleak to pass as golden foil, IMO.

3) Solar panels - do you plan to do a new part for Fuji, or re-use one of your other panels? I'm asking because old Fuji has one major design flaw - its solar panels were attached to the air :) I suggest making some holders, like that for RCS, that would be attached between fuel tanks.

Thanks for the feedback!

1. The darker bit! But, yeah, it is not very visible, at all. I think I will add a lever, or such.

2. I will experiment. I currently am trying to keep it similar to the gold foil seen in stock and RLA stockalike.

3. Yes, this was a big problem in the old one... I am making custom solar panels with this Fuji. I hope the new panels + slightly more "dense" placement of tank spheres will not make this a problem anymore. But, if it is still a problem, then you have a good idea :) .

Beale, can you make the "fairing" adapter for bottom side of Fuji to mount it on "standard" cylindrical service module. By the way, the "real-life" Fuji maximal diameter looks like same on TKS or future PPTS (PTK NP).

The heat-shield is separate part - so, you can mount on standard cylinder no problem! :)

78a103e33d.jpg

bea1c93474.jpg

Edited by Beale

Would Fuji have actually done transposition and docking with the Expansion Module? You'd need a different adaptor from the Minimum System anyway, I don't think there were any plans to launch it with the Propulsion Module, but not the EM. Although having the capsule on top does simplify abort modes. I actually can't find almost any info on the internet about Fuji! Sad, cause like you said its a beautiful machine </3

Oh and I've been following/lurking around this super awesome thread for awhile, it is THE prettiest Stock-alike parts addon! I just wish it was supported by RO :3

Edited by Kibble
proper punctuation

fujicountry1.jpg

I. Want. That. Yellow. Ball.

Like, NOW! :D

More pics here

Actually, that pic might be a great inspiration for a dedicated Fuji mini-pack:

- Fuji capsule and heatshield

- Fuji engine, RCS and solar panels

- "Heavy" engine (4-nozzle on MAN Project), small fuel tank (on US ball) large fuel tank (current Fuji fuel tank)

- Soyuz-style engine\fuel tank (essentially a 2.5m version of same part from Tantares), RCS and solar panels

- Three orbital modules (the one from MAN Project is Fuji module with some additional hardware, which purpose is unknown - station building, maybe? It might be represented as KAS containers and\or additional fuel tanks)

- Parachute, decoupler and docking port (optional)

Edited by biohazard15

http://www.shokabo.co.jp/author/8758/fujicountry1.jpg

Like, NOW!

I second this. Forget about Energia and TMK-1 and all those other things, Beale... just make a little yellow ball with a bubble on top! It's so cute! :D

EDIT: It has to be yellow, mind. Not grey :wink:

Edited by Tapejara

Apparently, whatever details of the irl Fuji spacecraft were there went up in smoke when NASDA merged to form JAXA. There's still a copy of the NASDA's page on Fuji in the Internet Archive however, so I was able to find out how it was launched. It was launched on a H-IIA, but designed to be able to be launched on other launchers as well. There were two proposed configurations: A) The crew and propulsion modules would have been stacked atop the Expansion module to take out and dock with once they were in orbit. The LES only needed to take away the crew module during a launch abort from the rocket in this configuration. B) A normal Soyuz-like configuration where the Fuji is in orbital configuration, and the LES had to take both the crew and expansion modules during a launch abort. I'm leaning more towards B for my launcher design.

Okay, let's write out a kind of roadmap for that hypothetical "Fuji Pack".

1) Capsule:

- Current Fuji capsule, duh. You might want to expand it to, say, four crew members. That will make it the favorite for Mission Controller's Civilian Contracts (you have to "send civvies in space". Civvies are represented by empty seats, there can be up to three of them. You see where it goes)

- Heatshield

OR

- Just merge capsule and heatshield, that would be the best solution.

- (OPTIONAL) Firespitter for easy texture swap (gray\yellow\green)

OR

- (OPTIONAL) Three different capsules, each with its own textures

OR

- (OPTIONAL) Same as above, but make colored variants as a separate install.

2) Engines:

- Light engine: Current Fuji engine. Fairly inefficient, you won't make a Mun fly-by with it. But it's cheap and comes early in tech tree.

- Heavy engine: 4-nozzle advanced engine from MAN Project. More efficient, but has less thrust. Recommended for Mun fly-bys (use big tank!)

OR

- Light engine: Can do a mun fly-by

- Heavy engine: Can enter Mun orbit, perform some maneuvers (docking to a space station, for example) and still be able to return

3) Fuel tanks:

- Big tank (aka current tank): Can send Fuji to the Mun or Minmus fly-by if used with heavy engine.

- Small tank (US Ball): Can be used only for Kerbin orbit, but it is cheaper than large tank.

OR

- Big tank: Essential if you want to do something around the Mun. Use heavy engine for that

- Small tank: Can do a Mun fly-by with heavy engine, can achieve KSO with light engine.

4) Orbital modules:

All of them can hold 4 Kerbals. They can be used to construct a space station (there are space station assembled from what appears to be Fuji orbital modules at one of the pictures)

- Fuji OM: Basic OM that is used for Fuji and MAN Project. Color: Tantares Grey

- US Ball: It's yellow, it's round, it can't be used as space station module. Intended for orbital excursions. Has a large viewing blister on top. No top decoupler node. Cool IVA. Color: Yellow! :D

- Soyuz-type OM: Green egg-shaped OM, otherwise identical to basic Fuji OM. Color: Green

- MAN Project OM: has bult-in KAS containers and enlarged LF\OX\monoprop\etc storage. Can be (and should be) used as cargo ship. Might have no or reduced space for crew.

5) Other hardware

- Fuji Solar panels

- Fuji RCS mount

- (OPTIONAL) Fuji RCS blocks

- (OPTIONAL) Decoupler

- (OPTIONAL) Parachute

- (OPTIONAL) Docking port

6) Soyuz-specific hardware

- Soyuz-type engine\fuel tank: Essentially an enlarged TST engine. Can send the ship to KSO, or maybe even Mun fly-by.

- Soyuz-type decoupler\shroud: Used to attach Fuji capsule+heatshield to the aforementioned engine. Look at DRE's Mk1-2 heatshield and decoupler for inspiration. Or just re-use TST stack separator.

- Soyuz-type solar panels: You may employ a new design, or just re-use some of your old panels

- (OPTIONAL) Soyuz-type RCS: 4-way RCS, looks like small RCS from RLA, but its size is comparable to stock RCS

Edited by biohazard15

I would like to see block D.

Anyway you are a great modder because you can complete the whole ever expanding wishlist.

Your work is amazing!

Imagine yourself a modular N series! From the "tiny" N-III using N-I Blocks V and G + Vostok or Voskhod upper stage, all the way to the hydrogen fueled N-IM-V-II-V-III monster rocket!

Wow! A lot of replies overnight!

Hey, Beale, have you ever considered adding XanderTek compatibility to the Soyuz so that it works like the landing jets of the real thing?

I will take a look at this! Thanks, looks pretty cool as an optional addon.

So glad you're re-visiting one of my favorite mods!! it's so simple yet so beautiful, just like everything Japanese!

I've made an album of my single launch "Fuji Exploration System":

http://imgur.com/a/A4JuE

Count me in if you want someone to test the new version :D

Thanks!!

Really nice H-IIA design! I will try to copy it :)

You can get a Fuji beta below my friend!

Oh and I've been following/lurking around this super awesome thread for awhile, it is THE prettiest Stock-alike parts addon! I just wish it was supported by RO :3

Very nice to hear! Thankyou!

You know, the latest version has partial RO compatibility thanks to Niemand303, currently covers the Soyuz, Soyuz Launcher and Proton! :)

http://www.shokabo.co.jp/author/8758/fujicountry1.jpg

Like, NOW! :D

More pics here

Actually, that pic might be a great inspiration for a dedicated Fuji mini-pack:

- Fuji capsule and heatshield

- Fuji engine, RCS and solar panels

- "Heavy" engine (4-nozzle on MAN Project), small fuel tank (on US ball) large fuel tank (current Fuji fuel tank)

- Soyuz-style engine\fuel tank (essentially a 2.5m version of same part from Tantares), RCS and solar panels

- Three orbital modules (the one from MAN Project is Fuji module with some additional hardware, which purpose is unknown - station building, maybe? It might be represented as KAS containers and\or additional fuel tanks)

- Parachute, decoupler and docking port (optional)

I second this. Forget about Energia and TMK-1 and all those other things, Beale... just make a little yellow ball with a bubble on top! It's so cute! :D

EDIT: It has to be yellow, mind. Not grey :wink:

I am more partial to the Malaysian OM :wink:

But yeah, all those variants are very cool. I do not have the time for a full mini-pack I think not :(

But you've put together some great ideas there.

I would like to see block D.

Anyway you are a great modder because you can complete the whole ever expanding wishlist.

Your work is amazing!

In time :)

Thankyou!

Fixed my loading problem. Had to revert to Tantares LV 3.0. I don't know what's up with 3.2, but I'm gonna stay on 3.0 for now. Hopefully the next release of Tantares LV will fix my problem.

It's very odd. I'm sorry we could not resolve your issue.

Hmmm. It is odd also on Kerbal Stuff, downloads of the latest version drop, while there's huge spike in people downloading the older version.

Anyone able to shed light on this? Have I included some kind of mega-bug...?

Apparently, whatever details of the irl Fuji spacecraft were there went up in smoke when NASDA merged to form JAXA. There's still a copy of the NASDA's page on Fuji in the Internet Archive however, so I was able to find out how it was launched. It was launched on a H-IIA, but designed to be able to be launched on other launchers as well. There were two proposed configurations: A) The crew and propulsion modules would have been stacked atop the Expansion module to take out and dock with once they were in orbit. The LES only needed to take away the crew module during a launch abort from the rocket in this configuration. B) A normal Soyuz-like configuration where the Fuji is in orbital configuration, and the LES had to take both the crew and expansion modules during a launch abort. I'm leaning more towards B for my launcher design.

Option B is what I'll say too!

Erm, I am thinking docking port + parachute combo to make option A a possibility too :)

Okay, let's write out a kind of roadmap for that hypothetical "Fuji Pack".

1) Capsule:

- Current Fuji capsule, duh. You might want to expand it to, say, four crew members. That will make it the favorite for Mission Controller's Civilian Contracts (you have to "send civvies in space". Civvies are represented by empty seats, there can be up to three of them. You see where it goes)

- Heatshield

OR

- Just merge capsule and heatshield, that would be the best solution.

- (OPTIONAL) Firespitter for easy texture swap (gray\yellow\green)

OR

- (OPTIONAL) Three different capsules, each with its own textures

OR

- (OPTIONAL) Same as above, but make colored variants as a separate install.

2) Engines:

- Light engine: Current Fuji engine. Fairly inefficient, you won't make a Mun fly-by with it. But it's cheap and comes early in tech tree.

- Heavy engine: 4-nozzle advanced engine from MAN Project. More efficient, but has less thrust. Recommended for Mun fly-bys (use big tank!)

OR

- Light engine: Can do a mun fly-by

- Heavy engine: Can enter Mun orbit, perform some maneuvers (docking to a space station, for example) and still be able to return

3) Fuel tanks:

- Big tank (aka current tank): Can send Fuji to the Mun or Minmus fly-by if used with heavy engine.

- Small tank (US Ball): Can be used only for Kerbin orbit, but it is cheaper than large tank.

OR

- Big tank: Essential if you want to do something around the Mun. Use heavy engine for that

- Small tank: Can do a Mun fly-by with heavy engine, can achieve KSO with light engine.

4) Orbital modules:

All of them can hold 4 Kerbals. They can be used to construct a space station (there are space station assembled from what appears to be Fuji orbital modules at one of the pictures)

- Fuji OM: Basic OM that is used for Fuji and MAN Project. Color: Tantares Grey

- US Ball: It's yellow, it's round, it can't be used as space station module. Intended for orbital excursions. Has a large viewing blister on top. No top decoupler node. Cool IVA. Color: Yellow! :D

- Soyuz-type OM: Green egg-shaped OM, otherwise identical to basic Fuji OM. Color: Green

- MAN Project OM: has bult-in KAS containers and enlarged LF\OX\monoprop\etc storage. Can be (and should be) used as cargo ship. Might have no or reduced space for crew.

5) Other hardware

- Fuji Solar panels

- Fuji RCS mount

- (OPTIONAL) Fuji RCS blocks

- (OPTIONAL) Decoupler

- (OPTIONAL) Parachute

- (OPTIONAL) Docking port

6) Soyuz-specific hardware

- Soyuz-type engine\fuel tank: Essentially an enlarged TST engine. Can send the ship to KSO, or maybe even Mun fly-by.

- Soyuz-type decoupler\shroud: Used to attach Fuji capsule+heatshield to the aforementioned engine. Look at DRE's Mk1-2 heatshield and decoupler for inspiration. Or just re-use TST stack separator.

- Soyuz-type solar panels: You may employ a new design, or just re-use some of your old panels

- (OPTIONAL) Soyuz-type RCS: 4-way RCS, looks like small RCS from RLA, but its size is comparable to stock RCS

Agreed, I love all the weird Fuji variants. Though maybe not with "SPACE VIEW CORP" plastered seemingly randomly all around it... Yellow is good though.

And I always like soviet green parts....

Well... That is comprehensive!

The alternate textures can be covered when I finally get around to doing them again (We'll see what changes 0.90 brings to textures, maybe I can go back to .TGAs)

I really like your ideas for the Engines and Tanks!

The OMs, specifically the US ball, which I find adorable, and the Malaysian one are pretty cool.

We'll see :)

FUJI Beta

Download

Stick in your parts folder.

This is quite a rough draft, I admit. Mainly to test textures. But the fuel and weights should be "reasonably" correct.

What is missing?

-OM

-Docking Port / Parachute Combo

-Solar Panels

ba82d8b5e8.jpg380516af6c.jpgfd84fa03b9.jpg9d32e64bab.jpgd2744b217a.jpg174f744ae2.jpg

Imagine yourself a modular N series! From the "tiny" N-III using N-I Blocks V and G + Vostok or Voskhod upper stage, all the way to the hydrogen fueled N-IM-V-II-V-III monster rocket!

Now that is a pretty cool idea, also :)

But yeah, all those variants are very cool. I do not have the time for a full mini-pack I think not

Aaaand that's a bummer :(

The OMs, specifically the US ball, which I find adorable, and the Malaysian one are pretty cool.

Or maybe not a bummer, but we just need to push harder :D

Cool idea as in - "expand the idea, give me pictures and data", or cool idea as in - "maybe sometime 2050?"

(Just so I don't go through all the trouble of a comprehensive write-up for nothing)

Eheh, I am sad to say more of the latter :(

n1late.jpg

There are some cool N1 concepts for sure. But... I am thinking Energia for my heavy lift vehicle.

Sorry if I had gotten your hopes up too much for this!

Erm, I am thinking docking port + parachute combo to make option A a possibility too :)

So we may have the original OM, the SPACEVIEWCORP, and the Malaysian? Maybe the SPACEVIEWCORP can be a many-crewed (4?) cupola while the Malaysian can be a smaller science module for 1 kerbal?

Eheh, I am sad to say more of the latter :(

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/n/n1late.jpg

There are some cool N1 concepts for sure. But... I am thinking Energia for my heavy lift vehicle.

Sorry if I had gotten your hopes up too much for this!

No worries. The Energia can make a good modular lifter too. However, you've been looking at the 1969 N-IM. I was talking about the 1965 N-IM, N-IFs. These are essentially N-Is with either stretched or cylindrical fuel tanks. (This isn't a "push" to make you do the N-Is, don't get me wrong)