[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Beale asked me to post my suggestions here, so I'll make an exception from my usual policy of keeping away from the forum. 

1. N1 upper stages need an overhaul, mostly engine related. Gimbal actuators, heat shields and, most importantly, correcting the expansion ratio (the nozzle model and textures could be more like this as well):
NK-15V.jpg

2. Block D engine overhaul. It could have been a very useful OMS/small upper stage engine, but the huge buttplate and a rather poorly designed RCS system (it can't roll and looks nothing like the real thing) make it useless in that role. I'd suggest making the plate a part of Block D, making a new RD-58 and adding Block-D style RCS as a separate part with an integrated decoupler (Block D could decouple its ullage and RCS motors):
Block-D_2big.jpg

3. Soyuz. 1.5m for both spacecraft and the rocket (well, the upper stage, at least). It would actually provide the best inter-mod compatibility, allow for 1.25m docking ports and a 3-Kerbal capsule. Alternatively (for the rocket, at least), instead of the currently flying base variant, make one of the proposed ones:
Rus_big.jpg
3.2m core would translate well to the 1.875m size, 3.5m and 3.7m parts could be scaled to 2.5m, resulting in a large array of parts. And good compatibility.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

3. Soyuz. 1.5m for both spacecraft and the rocket (well, the upper stage, at least). It would actually provide the best inter-mod compatibility, allow for 1.25m docking ports and a 3-Kerbal capsule. Alternatively (for the rocket, at least), instead of the currently flying base variant, make one of the proposed ones:
Rus_big.jpg
3.2m core would translate well to the 1.875m size, 3.5m and 3.7m parts could be scaled to 2.5m, resulting in a large array of parts. And good compatibility.

The Soyuz spacecraft and lifter being 1.5 m doesn't fit with the N-1 though, and considering he just finished revamping the N-1, it doesn't seem like a good move right now to change that. 

6 hours ago, Beale said:

Andegraf is usually okay, but there are some oddities.
The upper stage should be more 1.5m, but the difference is so small it looks fine with 1.25m diameter. 
The soyuz has wrap-around solar panels now, so can fit in much thinner fairing bases. :) 

lMDIGtM.png
glo2u9q.png
Z8FldY2.png

I cant even tell you how excited I am for this. Very much looking forward to the release of the new soyuz stack.

I seem to have forgotten a suggestion. A white texture variant for N1 would be really nice.

Regarding scaling concerns with the N1, I have to tell you that a 1.5m Soyuz would be better scaled with N1 than 1.25m. IRL, Block D is 3.7m, which I already calculaed to come out as 2.5m in KSP scale (using Cobalt's method of scaling, 0.64%, then to the nearest KSP size). Block D was 2.5m last time I checked, so as long as the rest of the N1 is to scale with that (more or less the case), the 1.5m Soyuz would actually be a better fit for N1 (and Proton) as well.

4 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

I seem to have forgotten a suggestion. A white texture variant for N1 would be really nice.

Regarding scaling concerns with the N1, I have to tell you that a 1.5m Soyuz would be better scaled with N1 than 1.25m. IRL, Block D is 3.7m, which I already calculaed to come out as 2.5m in KSP scale (using Cobalt's method of scaling, 0.64%, then to the nearest KSP size). Block D was 2.5m last time I checked, so as long as the rest of the N1 is to scale with that (more or less the case), the 1.5m Soyuz would actually be a better fit for N1 (and Proton) as well.

it means that Block G would also need to be 2.5 meters, and block V top part would be 3.125 , actually in my opinion the whole N1 stack should be a bit wider and taller although it would mean that some parts would use weird sizes

Edited by NeoFatalis

19 minutes ago, KubissusPL said:

It's a shame there aren't IVA views. There seems to be one in the lander and in one capsule, but i think that in previous versions there was more.

Nah. It's a pain to MAKE IVA views. As someone who is going to spend the ENTIRE day making an IVA for @CobaltWolf's Apollo CSM, I can understand why they so seldom get done. (Such a pain.)

Please remember that modders do the mods during their free time(well, I guess. I can't know if some of them make them at work/school :wink: ) and are not paid to do them.

Don't take the content of a mod or the feature you want as granted: the modders are kind enough to make the mod in the first place and it can require a lot of work.

1 minute ago, KubissusPL said:

It might be a pain to make them but IVA views are a necessity to keep the immersion.

If you feel way, I can point you to the links/threads necessary for you to make IVA's for the pods you want. We can always use more IVA modders.

5 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

4 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

it means that Block G would also need to be 2.5 meters, and block V top part would be 3.125 , actually in my opinion the whole N1 stack should be a bit wider and taller although it would mean that some parts would use weird sizes

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I for one would love to see all my silly off sizes be more legitimate.

1 hour ago, Joeybafoey said:

Again: considering the N-1 was just revamped, it doesn;t make a great deal of sense to go back in less than a week or two after release and redo the scales. If that needs to be done, it should be done in the future.

I mean, guys, it's only 25cm difference.
I think 1.25m is just fine, you lose super accuracy, but it's super simple to use and have fun with :) 

As the rabbit hole deepens from "make a wider upper stage" to "rescale everything", hoo boy!

10 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

As for suggestions, I'd like to suggest more flag decals. 

In the works! :) 
At least one large on the N1 Block V.

13 hours ago, KubissusPL said:

It might be a pain to make them but IVA views are a necessity to keep the immersion.

13 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

If you feel way, I can point you to the links/threads necessary for you to make IVA's for the pods you want. We can always use more IVA modders.

You want em, you make em. Most modders would rather spend time playing games, they're just driven to make the things they want to play with. That drive only goes so far, and usually doesn't extend to IVAs. Or Launch clamps. Or landing gear...

On 29/12/2016 at 5:05 PM, spacecookie said:

JderH7d.png

Why don't you do both, a 1.5m second stage for bigger rockets enthusiasts ?

You may have the 1.5m models to config and distribute personally, but I don't want to maintain them :) 

W.I.P Stage 0 engines.

HDwNiLt.png
oQwpYff.png
BUGG0iS.png
zb4anti.png

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

You may have the 1.5m models to config and distribute personally, but I don't want to maintain them :)

I'd love to get in on this if possible, it would be a great addition to my career mod.