[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

If so - I suppose, it should have thermal protection all over the surface, that was the main reason they have chosen the sphere, as I've read recently, they thought about having headlight shape Soyuz-style, but went for simplicity and minimal surface for minimal coverage.

Maybe. I think I liked the heatshield design a little more a while ago, but, eh I am less fond now.

Thank You!! :D

Wait... :huh:

How does that Salyut float?!

ALT-F12 + Hack Gravity :)

I test all my things (Docking ports, RCS, Solar panels) like this mostly.

0a9f86f2ca.jpg

RCS works like a dream!

Well, the pictures do not load for me, which is a shame, but, it always great to hear RO progress! Thank you for your continued work on this!

Salyut can use minor touchups in texture, to make it less plain (I'm thinking more texture), but generally, I am happy with the current model :)

New solar panel models though, will affect Salyut and MIR ships alike, but shouldn't break craft.

What probably doesn't need re-doing:

• Fuji
  • Vostok (Aside from new capsule texture to match new Soyuz)
  • ATV
  • Cygnus
  • The Castor parts (Does anyone even know these exist? :wink: )
  • Venera

Well, I am not too happy with the FUJI, but, it it so recent, I won't touch it.

To be honest, the Fuji is cursed, everytime I have made it, I've gone straight into a revamp soon after.

Edit: I am wrong, a few Salyut (Vega) parts will be needing new models, notably the docking ports (And probably the Kvant, I'd imagine).

P.S. Many thanks for the poll feedback so far!

A pattern is fast emerging!

Ah, I understand your concerns on it.

I am not so fond to add too much "greeble" to a parts texture unless it makes sense.

Ehm, perhaps with RCS thrusters, it will look less plain.

What Do you think about using 2 battery and two Monoprop "Bags" from HAMAL, and put it on the bottom of the SM so it will be less flat?

Maybe good news, I decided to make along the "usual" RO configs a RealFuel config, for those who don't like having stuff with abstract LF/OX and prefer something more "natural" (I just loved it even without RO, adds a good touch of realism without that requirement for RO to even take off for at least 15 minutes). :)

Hey Beale,

I love your mod and the Revamp so far, but I am a little concerned about the Solar Panels...

Will there still be the fixed solar panels like this one?

http://i.imgur.com/t4tP1vM.png

I actually enjoy rotating my crafts manually :confused:

Mille grazie!

Sackpfeife

Yes, he has already announced that the two variants of Soyuz panels will be kept.

Could someone please tell me what on earth "greeble" is!?!?

Also - Nice memory savings - but will they all fit on?

Greeble is adding high detail to a surface, for example pipes and stuff.

It comes from old sci-fi TV / Film, where they would add detail to their tiny prop spaceships to make them look huge.

Classic example, Red Dwarf, was supposedly a ~20km big spaceship, so they added the greeble to their ~1m model to give it the appearance of being much bigger.

rdmodel.jpg

For fitting things on:

Aside from the LOK engine, which could be tricky, they all have done, with the parachute complete :)

7c3e6fa015.jpg

1fb69e2b37.jpg

Yo, check out muh mixtape man.

Maybe good news, I decided to make along the "usual" RO configs a RealFuel config, for those who don't like having stuff with abstract LF/OX and prefer something more "natural" (I just loved it even without RO, adds a good touch of realism without that requirement for RO to even take off for at least 15 minutes). :)

Amazing!

I would for sure, like real fuels, in fact I may stick with it (Although I do not enjoy boil-off so much).

What Do you think about using 2 battery and two Monoprop "Bags" from HAMAL, and put it on the bottom of the SM so it will be less flat?

Like?

ed3b6ba82d.jpg

Or:

326fe89834.jpg

Either will work fine in new editor.

Edited by Beale

I very much like your wording of "splat". :)

I've had a minor fascination with the idea of an ION lander since watching this:

Ha! That's a great video. Truly he is Master of the Ion.

And yes, my space agency employs creative wording to keep morale up! For example, we would have said all those N1 tests were "destructively successful".

Maybe. I think I liked the heatshield design a little more a while ago, but, eh I am less fond now.

ALT-F12 + Hack Gravity :)

I test all my things (Docking ports, RCS, Solar panels) like this mostly.

http://puu.sh/eKt7T/0a9f86f2ca.jpg

RCS works like a dream!

one word: awesome :cool:

very happy to see a more realtistic RCS on the New ol' Soyuz

Since you are doing a new capsule for Vostok... Maybe a probe core with photo?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Zenit_space_vehicle.jpg

Yep, the Vostok came from the Zenit spy satellite, which isn't a bad idea for a probe core. Though if we're doing Vostok variants, i want a Voskhod, and i've asked ages ago for one.

Re: The soyuz update,

Just curious if you're going to be doing any changes/updates to the Soyuz 7K-LOK style service module?

(I think the current one is great, and I use it frequently - just a curiosity question).

Ha! That's a great video. Truly he is Master of the Ion.

And yes, my space agency employs creative wording to keep morale up! For example, we would have said all those N1 tests were "destructively successful".

Well, I am using "destructively successful" from now on :)

one word: awesome :cool:

very happy to see a more realtistic RCS on the New ol' Soyuz

Thanks! :)

Yep, the Vostok came from the Zenit spy satellite, which isn't a bad idea for a probe core. Though if we're doing Vostok variants, i want a Voskhod, and i've asked ages ago for one.

It's the difference in complexity really, a Zenit system probe core would probably be something quite simple to adapt from Vostok texture and model, the Voskhod, not so much, would require some more deep changes.

Re: The soyuz update,

Just curious if you're going to be doing any changes/updates to the Soyuz 7K-LOK style service module?

(I think the current one is great, and I use it frequently - just a curiosity question).

Yes, the current LOK is horrible (IMO).

It need totally re-doing. :)

Look at this texture, huge and still manages to be blurry, bleh.

f1be725e4a.jpg

Because the Shenzou uses a 1024x1024 texture too, maybe I will remake that, the LOK and Mianbao will share the same texture, that way the whole "SOYUZ" folder will only have three textures.

Or... There is a ton of leftover space in the Progress texture map, which I could save for Poisk, or I could stick the LOK there and have it be a HAMAL part.

Edited by Beale

Hey Beale, for the next (seemingly massive) update, what's the chance we could get flag decals on all (most) of the parts? I'd like the option to put a flag on station parts, launchers, and command parts. What does that entail on your end?

How else will I tell the world that all of space is now belong to glorious àþÑÂÑÂøÑÂ-Ãœðтушúð? :(

Also, how are you planning on organizing the parts by manufacturers? The current organization is a bit confusing.

P.S. Polaris is great, don't be so hard on yourself. >.<

Hey Beale, for the next (seemingly massive) update, what's the chance we could get flag decals on all (most) of the parts? I'd like the option to put a flag on station parts, launchers, and command parts. What does that entail on your end?

How else will I tell the world that all of space is now belong to glorious àþÑÂÑÂøÑÂ-Ãœðтушúð? :(

Also, how are you planning on organizing the parts by manufacturers? The current organization is a bit confusing.

P.S. Polaris is great, don't be so hard on yourself. >.<

Hiya!

Probably a few more parts than currently, I've added the flag decal to the ATV, also the Proton and soon the Soyuz I should imagine.

Where else? Probably the Salyut.

They're actually fairly time consuming (though admittedly not difficult) to make for such a simple little thing.

Manufacturers: interestin'

There is choice:

Current: TST, Alnair DB and Tanto Rofu.

Could do: unique manufacturer for every craft, but would have to accept the company logos would not be anything special.

If you mean folder structure: it is like that to allow people easily delete craft they don't want.

Edited by Beale

I repurposed Tantares parts again to create the Tanta-MIG MKIII. :cool: Highly acrobatic, exceptionally stable, but sub-orbital. I could probably make it an SSTO by adding more fuel, but then it would be too heavy to be acrobatic. I might do it anyway to turn this into my MIR-refueling shuttle.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

got the inspiration to rebuild my Soyuz to version 3.0 ... final shape archived, but i need to reduce amount of parts now. But it has realistic RCS now :D

edit: the LOX tank is only half full, total dV is around 400 m/s. total weight of the spacecraft is ~4,5 tons

rQNoePF.jpg

Edited by Darth Lazarus

Greeble is adding high detail to a surface, for example pipes and stuff.

It comes from old sci-fi TV / Film, where they would add detail to their tiny prop spaceships to make them look huge.

Classic example, Red Dwarf, was supposedly a ~20km big spaceship, so they added the greeble to their ~1m model to give it the appearance of being much bigger.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~polymorp/rdpic/rdmodel.jpg

For fitting things on:

Aside from the LOK engine, which could be tricky, they all have done, with the parachute complete :)

http://puu.sh/eKKOB/7c3e6fa015.jpg

http://puu.sh/eKLeV/1fb69e2b37.jpg

Yo, check out muh mixtape man.

Amazing!

I would for sure, like real fuels, in fact I may stick with it (Although I do not enjoy boil-off so much).

Like?

http://puu.sh/eKLOv/ed3b6ba82d.jpg

Or:

http://puu.sh/eKLZ7/326fe89834.jpg

Either will work fine in new editor.

Like on the bottom, that would be awesome!

Hiya!

Probably a few more parts than currently, I've added the flag decal to the ATV, also the Proton and soon the Soyuz I should imagine.

Where else? Probably the Salyut.

They're actually fairly time consuming (though admittedly not difficult) to make for such a simple little thing.

Manufacturers: interestin'

There is choice:

Current: TST, Alnair DB and Tanto Rofu.

Could do: unique manufacturer for every craft, but would have to accept the company logos would not be anything special.

If you mean folder structure: it is like that to allow people easily delete craft they don't want.

WRT manufacturers: if you mimick the current state of Russian space corporations, it'll be:

- RSC Energia: Vostok, Soyuz, Progress, future PPTS

- TsSKB-Progress: R-7 family, Energia, N-1

- NPO Mashinostroyeniya: TKS, Salyut\Mir parts

- Khrunichev: Proton

Note that Khrunichev was a part of NPO-M in Soviet times; it's really hard to distinguish these two. Alnair DB represents them very well, though - just like TST represents Energia with merged Progress.

Virtually all interplanetary probes - Luna, Venera, Mars, Fobos-Grunt etc were (and are) developed by NPO Lavochkin.

ATV and Cygnus should probably get their own manufacturers.

I know that it's tempting to give each craft its own manufacturer, but in my opinion it would be better to brand everything under the Tantares Space Technology corporation. That way the parts can be easily sorted. Having multiple manufacturers can make it difficult to find parts.

Edit: I sent a TantaMIG SSTO spaceplane to orbit with a special payload: a Tantares Soyuz filled with kerbals! I needed to fulfill an orbital station contract, and using a Proton would be too easy.

The Soyuz payload is hidden inside the body of the TantaMIG. I barely made it to orbit because I was not very efficient.

The plane currently has 4 TAC life support canisters on the wings. If I remove the canisters and add two Alnair monopropellant tanks + two Tantares Castor engines this plane can fly to the Mun and probably Minmus and back. :cool:

Landing is very difficult without airbrakes. Does anyone have any recommendations for brakes other than from the B9 pack? I had to use parachutes to slow down at the end.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by CrisK

I know that it's tempting to give each craft its own manufacturer, but in my opinion it would be better to brand everything under the Tantares Space Technology corporation. That way the parts can be easily sorted. Having multiple manufacturers can make it difficult to find parts.

On the contrary - having everything under TST would result in a huge parts list that is hard to navigate. Current separation is rather fine (there are some exceptions, though):

- Vostok, Soyuz, LK, Progress and its launchers - TST (early exploration-focused manufacturer, has everything you need to explore the Kerbin system)

- TKS, Salyut, Mir and its launcher - Alnair (station-focused manufacturer, has everything you need to build a station)

- Fuji - Tanto-Rofu (advanced spaceships-focused manufacturer, has some newest designs. Shenzhou OM and ATV also should go there, IMO)

For Cygnus and probes there should be fourth, probes-focused manufacturer.

Edited by biohazard15

I concur with biohazard15's list. That seems like a good way to do it.

Any way you could make parts you have currently manufactured by STEADLER manufactured by one of your three agencies? That's where most of the confusion lies for me. I'd rather go to your custom agencies than sift through other manufacturers for your parts...

Also, the actual folder system in GameData is great. Don't touch a thing. Heh.

What's the word on Castor? O.o Any chance it could find a home over in RLA?