[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Hey this seems relevant - my copy of Russia in Space by Anatoly Zak came today! The art is fabulous, and it really is an impressively comprehensive history of the events and decisions that went into the Russian space program.

Also I had an idea, for the Progress-alike you should make the orbital module and refueling module just one part. No offense, but the Hamal "probe core" looks really ugly, because its based on less-than-accurate depictions of Progress without it's thermal blankets.

The early Progress had a weird shape, i guess that Beale's model is somewhat of a hint to the old design:

progress.jpg

2000px-Progress_drawing.svg.png

It is possible! :)

I can reduce the specular map on the Green texture, and it won't be shiny any more!

But!

It was never really meant to be a thermal-blanket design. More a bare-metal like this museum-piece "Naked Soyuz".

http://puu.sh/h1cgj/1ac0dd6d08.jpg

Oh, I see.

Well, that explains it! Still if it's not difficult - or if you explain me how to do it - this will be appreciated.

Are you planning to do the Vega launcher as well?

That tutorial is quite good... went through it yesterday... got bit carried away as I have modelled 2/3's of Vega by now... could use some advice in the near future though

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/taniel0401/Vega_showoff_zpsrvefrrqv.png
Very nice! However I just asked the current modeller of the Bacon Labs team to do the Vega. I gave it a 1.875m bottom and 1.25 m top.

Yes! I just thought, the Progress orbital module seemed like a copy of the Tantares OM, and the probe core doesn't carry any fuel, like the refueling module does, but combined you could have a nice little resupply vehicle part that carries 1 or 2 tonnes of all the basics - food, water, supplies, fuel. Like how Progress is in real life!

Consider it... considered! :)

It would be a nice chance to try texture thermal-fabric.

This is exactly it, yep! :)

Oh, I see.

Well, that explains it! Still if it's not difficult - or if you explain me how to do it - this will be appreciated.

Sure thing!

Open the texture in Photoshop, change to edit the Alpha layer.

The Alpha layer controls "shiny-ness" so, if you make the Alpha layer black, or very dark grey, you will reduce the amount of shine.

162fc7eb03.jpg

Very nice! However I just asked the current modeller of the Bacon Labs team to do the Vega. I gave it a 1.875m bottom and 1.25 m top.

Thanks.. no problem, I'll leave it to the proffesionals ;) , You might want to send the guy this page , it has the best data on the Vega I found :)

Thanks.. no problem, I'll leave it to the proffesionals ;) , You might want to send the guy this page , it has the best data on the Vega I found :)

If you enjoy it, please continue!

I have my doubts that the other Vega will materialize, so you shouldn't feel pressure to stop!

Thanks for the source too!

Tantares and TantaresLV Update

Nothing major:

- Removed RO configs.

- Implemented MK3424's KIS configs.

Edited by Beale

Yes! I just thought, the Progress orbital module seemed like a copy of the Tantares OM, and the probe core doesn't carry any fuel, like the refueling module does, but combined you could have a nice little resupply vehicle part that carries 1 or 2 tonnes of all the basics - food, water, supplies, fuel. Like how Progress is in real life!

The "crew" part of the Progress is where they transport liquids (fuel, water, waste,... ), the Orbital module is the part where the actual payload is in it.

That's why the Hamal Orbital cargo volume is bigger than the Tantares one: the Tantares one is also used as a living quarters, whilst the Hamal is only for cargo.

Hey now! I use that Hamal pod as a probe core for other things besides Progress models. I'd like it to stay as is. JMHO.

Speaking of: how is the resize bug fix accomplished? I've got a few sats with midget Hamal cores because it's the root part.

Hey now! I use that Hamal pod as a probe core for other things besides Progress models. I'd like it to stay as is. JMHO.

Speaking of: how is the resize bug fix accomplished? I've got a few sats with midget Hamal cores because it's the root part.

No worries!

I wouldn't replace it, instead it would be a new part.

Something like this?

1b7b0a7cbf.jpg

To fix sizing bug:

I've only done it to a few parts so far, but basically:

Inside model node, scale = 1.25

MODEL
{
model = Tantares/Parts/LK/LK_Crew_A
scale = 1.25, 1.25, 1.25
}

Set rescale factor to 1

rescaleFactor = 1

And manually multiply the nodes by 1.25 (This is the annoying bit where you need to pull out a calculator!) :D

node_stack_bottom = 0.0,  -0.84375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.96125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Edited by Beale

No worries!

I wouldn't replace it, instead it would be a new part.

Something like this?

http://puu.sh/h1rHY/1b7b0a7cbf.jpg

To fix sizing bug:

I've only done it to a few parts so far, but basically:

Inside model node, scale = 1.25

MODEL
{
model = Tantares/Parts/LK/LK_Crew_A
scale = 1.25, 1.25, 1.25
}

Set rescale factor to 1

rescaleFactor = 1

And manually multiply the nodes by 1.25 (This is the annoying bit where you need to pull out a calculator!) :D

node_stack_bottom = 0.0,  -0.84375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.96125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Could you rephrase that in a more easy to understand way, because I'm kinda confused as well and want to fix the same thing. I thought it was something with TweakScale though.

Could you rephrase that in a more easy to understand way, because I'm kinda confused as well and want to fix the same thing. I thought it was something with TweakScale though.

It's a little difficult to rephrase, ehm...

Which bit do you find tricky? I'll try and go into more detail.

I've been gone a few days, did the PPTS get a service module yet?

I'm afraid not.

There's going to be very very little development until I finish my IRL work (Towards the end of May).

As a bonus, after that I'll have vacation time, I'll be sure to get a lot of stuff done then! :)

I might find a few quiet evenings to squeeze out a part or two (Think like the Rassvet), but not much more.

Perhaps I can make a smart mm patch for this... I'll have a look tomorrow.

If you could pull a similar trick to what you did with the IVAs, that would be just amazing! :)

Edited by Beale

Good idea, it might reduce confusion between the Progress's Orbital Module and the Soyuz's Orbital Module.

Ehhhh, I like the thicker "neck", but I think the bottom half should basically have the same shape as the base Soyuz DM; more curved and such.

I've been gone a few days, did the PPTS get a service module yet?

What you can do is use TweakScale to get a 1.875m version of the Soyuz service module. You have to add a 1.875m scale to stack, then ensure that the MM config for Tantares (included with TweakScale) has a section for the service module. It'll save you from having to add another part.

Code for SM in Tantares Tweakscale config

@PART[Tantares_Engine_A] // TST Orbital Manouvering System
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.25
}
}

Code to add 1.875m scale to stack scaletype in TweakScale (edit the defaultscales.cfg file)

SCALETYPE
{
name = stack
freeScale = false
scaleFactors = 0.625, 1.25, [U][B]1.875[/B][/U], 2.5, 3.75, 5.0, 6.25, 7.5
scaleNames = 62.5cm, 1.25m, [U][B]1.875m[/B][/U], 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m, 6.25m, 7.5m
defaultScale = 1.25

ATTACHNODES
{
base = 1
top = Stack:1
top01 = Stack:1
top02 = Stack:1
top03 = Stack:1
bottom = Stack:1
bottom01 = Stack:1
bottom02 = Stack:1
bottom03 = Stack:1
bottom04 = Stack:1
}
}

In other news...

I used the .psd files Beale linked in his sig to make a retexture of two Salyut core parts to look more like Polaris.6DwGSRW.png

And I spent way too much time playing around with Kronal Vessel Viewer to showcase my Angara build (uses ABLaunchers parts as well).

8twInmD.jpg

Edited by planeguy868

Ehhhh, I like the thicker "neck", but I think the bottom half should basically have the same shape as the base Soyuz DM; more curved and such.

I was talking about to reduce the parts and confusion with the progress and Soyuz parts.

Well, Beale's model looks very close to the real one:

Progress_M-52.jpg

Anyway, great designs you have posted!

Edited by MK3424

What have I done...

I bet no one ever thought of weaponizing Tantares like this.:D

Have you ever seen space cowboys ? Well I've done this bad boy with tantares parts, sadly I ain't pictures anymore, it's time for me to do another one I guess.. :D . ( But the thing won't fire of course, I'm against real weapons in KSP, space is vast, but there's no place for weapons there :)

hc4900_SpaceCowboys_satelliteLg.jpg

planeguy868 your angara launchers family is amazing, which fairings did you use ? :)

I wonder if Beale already planed to do some :P

Edited by spacecookie

Have you ever seen space cowboys ? Well I've done this bad boy with tantares parts, sadly I ain't pictures anymore, it's time for me to do another one I guess.. :D . ( But the thing won't fire of course, I'm against real weapons in KSP, space is vast, but there's no place for weapons there :)

http://www.projectorreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/hc4900_SpaceCowboys_satelliteLg.jpg

planeguy868 your angara launchers family is amazing, which fairings did you use ? :)

I wonder if Beale already planed to do some :P

The fairings I used are custom textures for Procedural Fairings, ripped from the texture files Beale has for download in his sig! I added a FStextureswitch module to the fairings so that I can change between the stock color, a "clean" flat white, and the two Tantares-style textures.

I used the .psd files Beale linked in his sig to make a retexture of two Salyut core parts to look more like Polaris.http://i.imgur.com/6DwGSRW.png

And I spent way too much time playing around with Kronal Vessel Viewer to showcase my Angara build (uses ABLaunchers parts as well).

http://i.imgur.com/8twInmD.jpg

When you get some time, can you post all of this stuff when you feel that it's really polished and share-worthy? Especially the Tantares-skinned fairings? I really like the Polaris-skinned crew tanks! The Angara .crafts could really keep the Angara fans off Beale's back for a while. :P

I also agree on the Progress. I think linkage between the OM and the CM should be a little more contiguous, and gentle.

Looks great all around though @Beale. Please take some time off and get your IRL work done. Don't let people push you around. Get done what you need to do. :)

The fairings I used are custom textures for Procedural Fairings, ripped from the texture files Beale has for download in his sig! I added a FStextureswitch module to the fairings so that I can change between the stock color, a "clean" flat white, and the two Tantares-style textures.

Well, they are really nice :) I am not really talented for this kind of manipulations, but I will give it a try !