[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 2017-5-31 at 1:35 AM, Third_OfFive said:

Would @Beale be okay with me releasing the deprecated vostok parts as an addon for tantares?

Absolutely, I am happy for anything to be done with them, let me know if you need the source assets.

On 2017-5-31 at 6:31 AM, Abrecan said:

5N88k7e.png

62Beq7a.png

t6kf4WA.png

Y6Hrkpt.png

Beautiful! Duna landers are my kind of ultimate destination in cool! :) 

On 2017-5-31 at 6:37 AM, Legcutter said:

It's not the crashes wich made us first in the space at more than one single occasion.

:huh:

Blame 50 years of bad stereotypes, it takes a long time to undo. :) 
I think offered any Spacecraft, if the Soyuz was there I know what I would feel the safest on!

On 2017-5-31 at 5:02 PM, IronCretin said:

@Abrecan @SBKerman

uyGswo2.png

yMdPpty.png

Not finished yet, but I've got the Blok-E, capsule, and capsule decoupler done.

Finally! I was waiting for you to show it publically, nice work :) 

17 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Hey guys, guess what I made :)

Based it off of these:

5059473135_a55c2a7d81.jpg

612259_orig.jpg

3 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Finished UV mapping it

XzZG03h.png

92QTquZ.png

A bit messy but it's a start

Amazing!

I think your unwrap is pretty good, but you should mirror these sections to save space:

ifJrVBx.png

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ok, seriously, has *anyone* else ever noticed how in space cutaway drawings, the people are always at like 2/3 scale? That *can't* just me me right?

I think maybe those scales are a little dubious, but then you see pictures like this I'm not so sure, only 4.1m across, but it looks spacious.

j8x7ise.jpg

Edited by Beale

32 minutes ago, Beale said:

I think maybe those scales are a little dubious, but then you see pictures like this I'm not so sure, only 4.1m across, but it looks spacious.

looks can be deceiving - when you're adding all of the equipment and scientific gear, life support, etc inside :wink: I would feel claustrophobic on the ISS I think

7 hours ago, Abrecan said:

looks can be deceiving - when you're adding all of the equipment and scientific gear, life support, etc inside :wink: I would feel claustrophobic on the ISS I think

You shure will. Below here is a pic of first ISS module Zarya (Dawn). It's basically a big warehouse, fuel tank and engine mount, and it's not as spasious inside, as you'd wish - even if things weren't stockpiled on the floor like that.

1456684577198613588.jpg

Good news, not all modules are that small. For ex., russian ISS segment core module Zvezda (Star), wich dimensions are more or less similar with Salyuts and Mir base block:
STS-135_and_Expedition_28_crews_in_the_Z

Edited by Legcutter

9 hours ago, Legcutter said:

You shure will. Below here is a pic of first ISS module Zarya (Dawn). It's basically a big warehouse, fuel tank and engine mount, and it's not as spasious inside, as you'd wish - even if things weren't stockpiled on the floor like that.

Good news, not all modules are that small. For ex., russian ISS segment core module Zvezda (Star), wich dimensions are more or less similar with Salyuts and Mir base block:
STS-135_and_Expedition_28_crews_in_the_Z

Great photos!

7 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Layers aren't being nice with me, again..

sJZphNR.png

Can I check your Unity setup?

Another look at the other Progress fuel module

https://skfb.ly/6rPQx

6KLNzT0.png

Edited by Beale

Just now, Beale said:

That might be your problem!

If I remember right, the root GameObject needs to be rotated 90X, the mesh of the interior needs to be rotated 90X, 180Y.

Really? I don't think I had to do that for the vostok...

So I should add in an empty, rotate it 90X, and set it as the root object for the IVA model?

I'll try it, one sec.

10 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

Really? I don't think I had to do that for the vostok...

So I should add in an empty, rotate it 90X, and set it as the root object for the IVA model?

I'll try it, one sec.

Yes, do that.

Tantares and TantaresLV Release.

- "Progress-M" Core.
- Generic decouplers.
- Soyuz LES.
- Soyuz Light.

02MaL9S.png

x0egQCR.png9aW9OfY.png
XiLeKzz.png1pVcgOL.png

I will be working on some more RCS parts soon... Because, there are currently problems using the RCS effectively on a Soyuz. Does anybody else have issues in local translation / rotation?

Edited by Beale

19 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

Finished the UV Map

ZInerpz.png

@Beale what would you say is a good image resolution for IVA textures? Is 1024x1024 good enough or should I go higher?

This is a really tricky question :D 

I think you would really want to shoot somewhere in the middle, 1024x1024 will provide a very high level of detail, 512x512 might be a little too small (But, I think you could maybe get away scotch-free with splitting and mirroring even more things).

Sadly there is no middle ground, so I would say for your current unwrap, 1024x1024 would be the best way for you to go.
When I come to do station IVAs, I am currently playing around with generic kind of tiles textures, It might be a more sanity-saving approach.

Just a small bug - when I downloaded the updated version of Tantares (Not the one above, but the one that first added the Soyuz LES), and my 'Skylab' station disappeared, because of a missing / renamed part. Of course, I had backups, but do you have any idea what the removed / renamed part is?

20 minutes ago, Beale said:

When I come to do station IVAs, I am currently playing around with generic kind of tiles textures, It might be a more sanity-saving approach.

Could you send me those textures when they are done? :)

I'll make IVAs for all the station parts if you do.

EDIT:

also a quick suggestion for textures

You know how the interiors of salyut and the russian section of the ISS have like these big walls of cabinets? Those would make good IVA textures.

Edited by Third_OfFive

24 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Just a small bug - when I downloaded the updated version of Tantares (Not the one above, but the one that first added the Soyuz LES), and my 'Skylab' station disappeared, because of a missing / renamed part. Of course, I had backups, but do you have any idea what the removed / renamed part is?

I would need to know what part it told you was removed, without so I can sadly do nothing. Nothing should have changed recently.

23 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

From memory, I think it was called "Engine.A"

Ah ok, no parts ending with _A for a long time now, I would recommend grabbing the "Old Tantares" pack on the first page, it will probably be in there.

Will the Raduga capsule be made? It can be put in the inventory of the progress and a kerbal can take it out, put scientific stuff in it and it can return to kerbin. Would be awesome. But im not sure how it can be separated from the progress module during reentry.

And great RCS!

Edited by onlinegamesz

20 hours ago, Fly Angry said:

Yup.

Yup yup yup.

19 hours ago, onlinegamesz said:

Will the Raduga capsule be made? It can be put in the inventory of the progress and a kerbal can take it out, put scientific stuff in it and it can return to kerbin. Would be awesome. But im not sure how it can be separated from the progress module during reentry.

And great RCS!

19 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Are those proper Soyuz RCS? Yes yes yes!

Yep, it is a little more accurate, but not replacing the original parts (This is nearly twice as wide and a different layout).

ZGqWY6X.png These are designed for translation and roll control only.
YYSyp05.png The skirt will need to be modified to include YAW and PITCH thrusters.

XBz5OjK.png So much more to fit with small greeble parts, I wonder what is next?

@onlinegamesz Very interesting idea! You have given me a few ideas.

Edited by Beale

I need help!

Looking to find out how the Soyuz IRL has its attitude and translation thrusters, is the skirt used exclusively for pitch and yaw and the mid-section used for translation only?

GitHub

From now on you will have two options for setting up the Soyuz RCS.

Option 1

• What you have been doing forever, four RCS thrusters around the centre.

Option 2

• Linear RCS thrusters around the skirt, set to pitch and yaw only. (I will integrate this in the skit model eventually).
  • Two of the new thrusters set around the solar panel sides, set to translation and roll only.
  • Set the service module to fore/aft translation only.

"That's way more complicated, why would I do that?" Well, better fine translation control, but maybe just more accurate too.

I have a craft file with the new layout.

More types / variants coming soon.

fHChpez.png
S3RUwVT.png

Edited by Beale

1 minute ago, Beale said:

I need help!

Looking to find out how the Soyuz IRL has its attitude and translation thrusters, is the skirt used exclusively for pitch and yaw and the mid-section used for translation only?

GitHub

You now have two options for setting up the Soyuz RCS.

Option 1

• What you have been doing forever, four RCS thrusters around the centre.

Option 2

• Linear RCS thrusters around the skirt, set to pitch and yaw only. (I will integrate this in the skit model eventually).
  • Two of the new thrusters set around the solar panel sides, set to translation only.
  • Set the service module to fore/aft translation only.

"That's way more complicated, why would I do that?" Well, better fine translation control, but maybe just more accurate too.

I have a craft file with the new layout.

More types / variants coming soon.

fHChpez.png
S3RUwVT.png

Option 1. Simple, the way it should be.