[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

19 hours ago, braedan51 said:

Can anyone confirm if Tantares is compatible w/ KSP 1.6.x?
CKAN is saying it's not compatible but I figured someone in this thread could verify.

Yep, as @sslaptnhablhat says 1.6 and you're all good, right now it should work all the way back to 1.3.1, next update might bring that minimum to 1.4+ though.

Progress

I will release Kosmos first, but now we start on the business.
Mesh switch options for second stage.

• 1.25m
  • 1.625m (Very accurate, but would you prefer 1.5 for @CobaltWolf Bluedog mix-and-match)
  • 1.875 (The new default, and it's a little chonky, but has a good feeling in-game, and gives the Soyuz a good "mid-game" feeling in power).

QN1HZiK.png
x7bXwYX.png From the left, 1.875 - 1.625 - 1.5 - 1.25
zCv7rKm.png Dangerous crayons, same order from the back.
RFY0MWZ.png

6 hours ago, Beale said:
  • 1.25m
  • 1.625m (Very accurate, but would you prefer 1.5 for @CobaltWolf Bluedog mix-and-match)
  • 1.875 (The new default, and it's a little chonky, but has a good feeling in-game, and gives the Soyuz a good "mid-game" feeling in power).

@Beale I'll second previous post author. 1.5m is more preferable than 1.625m due to compatibility with other mods. And 1.85m variant would make fine Soyuz-3 proposed launcher core.

Also, talking about Soyuz rework, is there any plans for Soyuz-2.1v (larger diameter first stage core with NK-33-1 engine, http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz1_lv.html)? It would be very nice "what if" addition, especially with "Volga" upper stage.

Edited by unclepirog

Tossing in my totally unbiased opinion that there is some precedent in other mods for 1.5m (universal storage, for instance) while 1.625m is completely new.

The mesh switch will only affect the model, and not the fuel loads, correct? I don't mind that - that's how the Atlas adapter (1.25m for Mercury and 0.9375m for Agena) works in BDB.

I would vote for 1.5m.  I like to mix and match BDB parts.  Also, i am using the 1.5 option right now.  I think it accomplishes the middle-ground feeling you mentioned nicely.  It also looks nice with the soyuz at the top...or rather Koyuz since this is kerbal. 

@Beale

I agree with several other people in stating that 1.625m would be a unique choice.   However it occurs to me that this choice could impact more than the R-7 family.  What upper stages would have to be altered (if any) for form factor X on the Soyuz/R-7?  And what OTHER IRL rockets are they used on?  

If no effect on your other parts (at-least ones you are not already planning on re-doing) then I too think 1.5m is the ideal choice (0.69767 scale factor IIRC to get 1.5m end caps on the core first stage tanks)       1.25m feels small and cramped (I am afraid to launch Soyuz capsules on it!) and the 1.875m is more R-36(any) sized...  

7Vdpy0U.png

:huh: hmmm

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

@Beale

What upper stages would have to be altered (if any) for form factor X on the Soyuz/R-7?  And what OTHER IRL rockets are they used on? 

This is a pretty good overview, you will be able to construct most of these with minimal issue.

lKoOTqS.png

1 hour ago, Legcutter said:

Happy Cosmonautics day, comrades!
F60VFod1ot8.jpg

A day to remember День Космона́втики!

And now we recreate the thing that made it! :D

oJJt2xU.png
KQUxc5Z.png
A lot of parts, green is standard, while orange is engines. Black is the 1.5m variant available by switching.
Rkw41iZ.png
foWh3CC.png

2 hours ago, Legcutter said:

F60VFod1ot8.jpg

So, Cosmonauts wear N-7 armor now?   Does that mean they get to fight the Reapers?   Do I have to worry about Cerberus attacking Earth now?  :) 

43 minutes ago, Beale said:

This is a pretty good overview, you will be able to construct most of these with minimal issue. 

Sorry I probably was not clear.  I was asking are there any upper stages that are ALSO used on other real life rockets beyond the R-7 family that would have to be altered and if so would that affect your decision?

9 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Sorry I probably was not clear.  I was asking are there any upper stages that are ALSO used on other real life rockets beyond the R-7 family that would have to be altered and if so would that affect your decision?

Sorry, maybe I'm a little late-night brained out. I don't fully understand.

If you mean will any existing upper stages be affected by that, no :)

Important to stress, no decision to be made, all options (1.875m, 1.5m, 1.25m) will be made and fully available.

Just now, Beale said:

Important to stress, no decision to be made, all options (1.875m, 1.5m, 1.25m) will be made and fully available.

OhhhHHHhhho!   I misunderstood where that was going then.  My bad.   I took the original post as "I [Beale] am making a new R-7 / Soyuz... It will be a new scale and I want to know what the community thinks is best."

Thanks for clearing that up.  

8 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@yuri_3a3rin, if you want an RD-180, there is one in @CobaltWolf's amazing mod, Bluedog Design Bureau, which also contains amazing renditions of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft!

ik this I just think it would be cool to have the all of the Soviet/Russian rocket engines in this mod cause it is the mod of the glorious Interkosmos

49 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

It would be, but as far as I know, the RD-180 is only used on the Atlas 5, and if @Beale were to make one, it would waste time and effort, which could be used for other things, since there is already an extremely high-quality rendition of it in BDB

FWIW the proposed Rus launcher had RD-180s.  But while I agree there are too few members of the RD-170 family in game (both real and hypothetical ones)  

On 4/11/2019 at 5:29 PM, Beale said:

Yep, as @sslaptnhablhat says 1.6 and you're all good, right now it should work all the way back to 1.3.1, next update might bring that minimum to 1.4+ though.

Progress

I will release Kosmos first, but now we start on the business.
Mesh switch options for second stage.

• 1.25m

From the left, 1.875 - 1.625 - 1.5 - 1.25
 Dangerous crayons, same order from the back.

1.625 if I had to choose