[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I've been relatively absent from the thread for a fews days, but it all looks really good. 

A note on the engine for the Blue Streak engines.

b8a102ff75.jpg  

I don't understand what the top of it means. When you started using that modeling pattern in the Salyut parts, I thought that that look meant that the part had a crew traversable tunnel. I don't really know what it indicates now. Anyone have any ideas for how the top of an engine part should look? Examples from other add-ons?

Big G:

If you're still using the rough models that I sent you, it should all be fairly correct, and be chopped up into nice diameter parts.

131487292d.png

As you can see @CobaltWolf, it actually keeps going to 3.75m, and then even larger still. I didn't model the last section, as I didn't think Beale would even get around to making Big G. For launching of Big G, you'll have to use the largest variant of Titan, or look around for a good Saturn IB add-on. 

My goodness, was the Big G concept ugly... 

@Beale, keep me posted on this, and let me know if you need help or advice. What would be really nice, and really unique, is big airliner passenger windows, like seen in this mockup. Big%20G%20D4C-60717%20Apr%2067.jpg

It'd be great for early-game tourism contracts. There are usually very few excuse to put big windows on spacecraft. Big G would make for the perfect excuse. :)

If you're still keen on working on fleshing out Gemini, a dedicated science module like this, would be really out of the ordinary, and unique: 

tumblr_n6abu4pwkw1roo6z2o1_500.jpg

It's the same overall size and shape as the current service module you made, it just has these giant opening experiment bay doors. It'd be a great take on the Tantares take on the stock materials bay. Either you could make it empty, for stuffing stuff into, or you could just make it stuffed with pre-dabbed greeble, like the materials bay is. Your call. 

Tantares WindowShine Support

97a2ba71d9.png51b76ee22d.png

It's coming...

Much of it is pretty easily done because Beale is pretty neat and tidy when it comes to his spec mapping. Prospero, as you can see, works really well, and looks really pretty. A lot of the solar panels work really well, and are super easy to configure. A difficult example can be seen in the 1x4 Soyuz panels in the right picture. Because they solar cells are two texture sections instead of one, you see some yucky looking divisions. Luckily, simple things like windows work out pretty easily. 

Anyone have any specific requests for things to make shiny other than the obvious things? I'll see what I can do without manipulating alpha maps. 

A good example of it working really well, is the Luna 9 Probe.

ad2b29b67e.png

Be sure to check out the Taerobee thread. Taerobee is now supported for WindowShine. 

10 hours ago, OTmikhail said:

Just wondering if you have already fixed this on the parts it applied to? Can I get instructions on how to do this until next release? I don't want to be a pain, but just wanted to inquire...

10 hours ago, Beale said:

I wish I knew, but have yet to check :) 

You can check yourself, just find ModuleJettison inside part configs.

Good/Bad/I don't know News! Thanks to the power of gnu/linux, this kinda thing is really stupid easy to do...

All parts in Tantares containing isFairing:

Spoiler

Tantares/Parts/LUNA/_Crater_Control.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/VOSTOK/_Almach_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/VOSTOK/_Alto_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/ATV/_Capella_Engine_A.cfg:	isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/LK/_Libra_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/LK/_Libra_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_LunarModule/_Castor_LM_Engine.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Shields/_MSL_Shield_B.cfg:		isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Shields/_MSL_Shield_A.cfg:		isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Engines/_Castor_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/SALYUT/_MIR_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/SOYUZ/_Soyuz_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/SOYUZ/_Soyuz_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/CYGNUS/_Phoenix_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/CYGNUS/_Phoenix_Ex_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/PLV/_PLV_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/PLV/_PLV_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/LLV/_LLV_Engine_D.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/TLV/_Soyuz_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/TLV/_Soyuz_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/ALV/_Proton_Engine_C.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/ALV/_Proton_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/CLV/_CLV_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/NLV/_Knight_Engine_A.cfg:       	isFairing = True
TantaresLV/NLV/_Regent_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/NLV/_Wax_SRB_A.cfg:       isFairing = True

I don't know if we were hoping to find any 'false' ones?... :huh:

Anyway, time to go blow up a new NLV beta!

16 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

I've been relatively absent from the thread for a fews days, but it all looks really good. 

A note on the engine for the Blue Streak engines.

b8a102ff75.jpg  

I don't understand what the top of it means. When you started using that modeling pattern in the Salyut parts, I thought that that look meant that the part had a crew traversable tunnel. I don't really know what it indicates now. Anyone have any ideas for how the top of an engine part should look? Examples from other add-ons?

Big G:

@Beale, keep me posted on this, and let me know if you need help or advice. What would be really nice, and really unique, is big airliner passenger windows, like seen in this mockup. 

It'd be great for early-game tourism contracts. There are usually very few excuse to put big windows on spacecraft. Big G would make for the perfect excuse. :)

If you're still keen on working on fleshing out Gemini, a dedicated science module like this, would be really out of the ordinary, and unique: 

It's the same overall size and shape as the current service module you made, it just has these giant opening experiment bay doors. It'd be a great take on the Tantares take on the stock materials bay. Either you could make it empty, for stuffing stuff into, or you could just make it stuffed with pre-dabbed greeble, like the materials bay is. Your call. 

Tantares WindowShine Support

51b76ee22d.png

It's coming...

Much of it is pretty easily done because Beale is pretty neat and tidy when it comes to his spec mapping. Prospero, as you can see, works really well, and looks really pretty. A lot of the solar panels work really well, and are super easy to configure. A difficult example can be seen in the 1x4 Soyuz panels in the right picture. Because they solar cells are two texture sections instead of one, you see some yucky looking divisions. Luckily, simple things like windows work out pretty easily. 

Anyone have any specific requests for things to make shiny other than the obvious things? I'll see what I can do without manipulating alpha maps. 

A good example of it working really well, is the Luna 9 Probe.

ad2b29b67e.png

Be sure to check out the Taerobee thread. Taerobee is now supported for WindowShine. 

Hello again!

Black Prince Thing

I've began to model ports like this because it saves a lot of texture space. Rather than one big flat N-gon for the connection point, there is a small section of repeating elements. I could split  it up in other ways, but this one seems to work alright.

Big-G

Yep I have your models! :) 
One tricky point -> Should the bottom of the Big-G have a dedicated heatshield part? I think at 2.5m diameter it is just too large for having a built in heat-shield (I.E. the heatshield depth is too long to not be noticeable in clipping).

Of course a separate part means you cannot build the giant Conical 3.75m Big-G... But only can build the other kind.

Shine

It looks so beautiful! Nice job!
I love the Luna probe with the reflections, it gives the little part a good appeal!

14 hours ago, komodo said:

Good/Bad/I don't know News! Thanks to the power of gnu/linux, this kinda thing is really stupid easy to do...

All parts in Tantares containing isFairing:

Reveal hidden contents

Tantares/Parts/LUNA/_Crater_Control.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/VOSTOK/_Almach_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/VOSTOK/_Alto_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/ATV/_Capella_Engine_A.cfg:	isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/LK/_Libra_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/LK/_Libra_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_LunarModule/_Castor_LM_Engine.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Shields/_MSL_Shield_B.cfg:		isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Shields/_MSL_Shield_A.cfg:		isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Engines/_Castor_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/SALYUT/_MIR_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/SOYUZ/_Soyuz_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/SOYUZ/_Soyuz_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/CYGNUS/_Phoenix_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
Tantares/Parts/CYGNUS/_Phoenix_Ex_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/PLV/_PLV_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/PLV/_PLV_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/LLV/_LLV_Engine_D.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/TLV/_Soyuz_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/TLV/_Soyuz_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/ALV/_Proton_Engine_C.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/ALV/_Proton_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/CLV/_CLV_Engine_A.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/NLV/_Regent_Engine_B.cfg:       isFairing = True
TantaresLV/NLV/_Wax_SRB_A.cfg:       isFairing = True

I don't know if we were hoping to find any 'false' ones?... :huh:

Thanks for saving me a job! :)

Looks like none others are set incorrectly, good news I suppose!

Black Prince - Toying Around

Conclusions:

- Need nosecones, I think @tjsnh has asked for this a few times
- I think it is okay balanced, but the Black prince motor is probably a little too efficient... (It put the payload out to past Saturn, but it was a very tiny payload <100kg).

@OTmikhail Very pretty video! You do not see the FX because I forget to include them with the Beta :( 

3b010e7509.jpgdbfaad7b19.jpg19ac16afd3.jpg

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Black Prince Thing
I've began to model ports like this because it saves a lot of texture space. Rather than one big flat N-gon for the connection point, there is a small section of repeating elements. I could split  it up in other ways, but this one seems to work alright.

Big-G
Yep I have your models! :) 
One tricky point -> Should the bottom of the Big-G have a dedicated heatshield part? I think at 2.5m diameter it is just too large for having a built in heat-shield (I.E. the heatshield depth is too long to not be noticeable in clipping).

Of course a separate part means you cannot build the giant Conical 3.75m Big-G... But only can build the other kind.

Shine
It looks so beautiful! Nice job!
I love the Luna probe with the reflections, it gives the little part a good appeal!

Black Prince - Toying Around
Conclusions:
- Need nosecones, I think @tjsnh has asked for this a few times
- I think it is okay balanced, but the Black prince motor is probably a little too efficient... (It put the payload out to past Saturn, but it was a very tiny payload <100kg).

Black Prince:
I think making repeating sections of texture is a good practice, and should be done, I'm just not crazy about the actual design. It just looks... bleh? Plus, if you're concerned about polys, the modeled rim in the center adds around 48 vertices right off the bat, so it's not doing anything for aesthetics, or performance. 

Also, make sure you mind the black and yellow striped decoupler. I don't think it needs a big redesign. I quite like it the way it is frankly. If it could not break crafts, that'd be great. Are you planning on touching Prospero at all, seeing as it shared texture space with the rocket parts? 

Big-G
Hmm. I'll have to think about that. I see your point. I have an idea. If you give my a few days, I can mock up a way for that to work like I did for the rest of it. Switch gears and finish up some other things like Fuji, or Proton. Heh. I'll get back to you on Gemini.

WindowShine!
Yeah! I really like it. Whenever you make new parts, just be conscious of how WindowShine looks at a spec map, and try to take that into account, then I can do the rest. I think as long as you leave things like windows and solar panels at 100% specular, WindowShine will figure it out from there. Ven's solution to the window illumination not working with WindowShine was to add a duplicate object for windows. One for shine, and one for illumination. I don't think an extra draw call for a detail that minor is terribly efficient, but it might be nice for the core parts, like the Tantares capsule, and the TKS capsule. One extra draw call on the TKS capsule wouldn't sink anyone's boat I don't think. 

1 minute ago, Beale said:

1.875m Nosecone.
e0d2e093a7.jpgece9720655.jpg
1.875m Centaur.

Yes there is one in BDB, but for those that do not use it, I will be making my own (and a simple need for more parts and engines in this size).
f3257ca518.jpg

1.875m Nosecone
Neato! Nice shape. What's gonna be in it? Parachutes, LFO, or empty space? Could you give it some room for LFO, but let it default to empty?

1.875m Centaur
That I did not expect from you. Heh. Which year/version of Centaur are you looking to replicate, and what's your source for the drawing? I can find you an accurate source if you tell me which iteration of the Centaur you're going for. 

8 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I can't wait to see your interpretation of RL10... It'll probably be better than mine. :P

We shall see! :cool:

1 minute ago, curtquarquesso said:

Black Prince:
I think making repeating sections of texture is a good practice, and should be done, I'm just not crazy about the actual design. It just looks... bleh? Plus, if you're concerned about polys, the modeled rim in the center adds around 48 vertices right off the bat, so it's not doing anything for aesthetics, or performance. 

Also, make sure you mind the black and yellow striped decoupler. I don't think it needs a big redesign. I quite like it the way it is frankly. If it could not break crafts, that'd be great. Are you planning on touching Prospero at all, seeing as it shared texture space with the rocket parts? 

Big-G
Hmm. I'll have to think about that. I see your point. I have an idea. If you give my a few days, I can mock up a way for that to work like I did for the rest of it. Switch gears and finish up some other things like Fuji, or Proton. Heh. I'll get back to you on Gemini.

WindowShine!
Yeah! I really like it. Whenever you make new parts, just be conscious of how WindowShine looks at a spec map, and try to take that into account, then I can do the rest. I think as long as you leave things like windows and solar panels at 100% specular, WindowShine will figure it out from there. Ven's solution to the window illumination not working with WindowShine was to add a duplicate object for windows. One for shine, and one for illumination. I don't think an extra draw call for a detail that minor is terribly efficient, but it might be nice for the core parts, like the Tantares capsule, and the TKS capsule. One extra draw call on the TKS capsule wouldn't sink anyone's boat I don't think. 

1.875m Nosecone
Neato! Nice shape. What's gonna be in it? Parachutes, LFO, or empty space? Could you give it some room for LFO, but let it default to empty?

1.875m Centaur
That I did not expect from you. Heh. Which year/version of Centaur are you looking to replicate, and what's your source for the drawing? I can find you an accurate source if you tell me which iteration of the Centaur you're going for. 

Black Prince

Fair critique, I'm still trying to figure out a consistent way for all the connection points to match up.

a8cd89e4ab.jpgf4169bb275.jpg

I think the yellow and black decoupler, I had forgotten it, but I will make sure it is included again.

Big-G

Sounds good!

Nosecone

Yup! Empty, but LFO capacity is planned.

Centaur

I'm basing it off a few images for this one.

There's also this, but the Centaur-CA doesn't exist as far as I know.

12 hours ago, Joeybafoey said:

Which downloads do/have what?

Tantares - Spacecraft and misc. parts.

TantaresLV - Rockets! 

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Grrr, Beale is doing Centaur? Now I have to make mine even better. :P

In bocca al lupo :wink: 

16 hours ago, Beale said:

1.875m Centaur.
Yes there is one in BDB, but for those that do not use it, I will be making my own (and a simple need for more parts and engines in this size).

f3257ca518.jpg

Yes, please! I have the one from BDB, but I can honestly see the advantage of having an extra as little differences in stats can make a big difference in missions.

20 hours ago, Beale said:

@OTmikhail Very pretty video! You do not see the FX because I forget to include them with the Beta :( 

Thank you. LOL Well I will be happy to keep flying this in your full release. It's weird to fly it without flames right now, but I'm eager to try out Black Prince 3 (BP Heavy?) with Centaur. I'm on the fence about you making your own Centaur, I would request that it have the same amount of power as BDB's so that neither is more OP than the other, and the choice of which one to use (for players using both mods) comes down to which texture they prefer for whatever rocket being built.

sorry if this has been brought before, but I've downloaded several versions and in all of them Fuji's orbital habitat texture is corrupted, file name is Polaris_Crew_A_psd.dds and is only 2KB (now that I look several other Fuji textures seem to be corrupted too) It's just me?

Thanks!!

52 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

sorry if this has been brought before, but I've downloaded several versions and in all of them Fuji's orbital habitat texture is corrupted, file name is Polaris_Crew_A_psd.dds and is only 2KB (now that I look several other Fuji textures seem to be corrupted too) It's just me?

Thanks!!

It's a placeholder texture :) 

7 hours ago, Drakenex said:

oh! OK, I'll restore the old module then! thanks!

Looks like the Fuji is on hold for a while, so I will include the placeholder in the next release for the time being! :)

Proton Tanks.

Nothing special.

9671f8d883.jpg