[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I haven't seen this diagram here, so here it is. Special note to the lower right corner.

MbArrh2.jpg

And that's why the TKS needs a window in the wide section - it's actually the front one, and the ship's actual command pod! The crampled VA is actually just the takeoff and reentry pod.

15 hours ago, Deltac said:

De-orbiting Mir!

She's a tough old gal!

What a beauty! 

Reminds me to reduce the max temp on those parts too :) 

6 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Can we get a grey version of that Mir Docking Module for use as Pirs/Poisk?

1 hour ago, DJ Reonic said:

I use it as Rassvet, and the "old" Progress orbital modules as Pirs/Poisk, at least for now.

Yeah, the Pir and Poisk are very different modules to Rassvet / MDM, I will be making them separately alongside Progress parts.

1 hour ago, TK-313 said:

I haven't seen this diagram here, so here it is. Special note to the lower right corner.

MbArrh2.jpg

And that's why the TKS needs a window in the wide section - it's actually the front one, and the ship's actual command pod! The crampled VA is actually just the takeoff and reentry pod.

Yep, already a window on the part. :) 
Do you mean an IVA?

1 hour ago, onlinegamesz said:

Is that big kind of antenna on top of the orbital module already in the mod?

What is actually the function of it, for docking?

It's in the older version, not in the new one yet I don't think.
It's function IRL was for docking, in KSP it's just regular comms.

4 hours ago, onlinegamesz said:

Is that big kind of antenna on top of the orbital module already in the mod?

387px-RP1357_p22_Salyut_1-type_Soyuz.svg

What is actually the function of it, for docking?

2 hours ago, tjsnh said:

It's in the older version, not in the new one yet I don't think.
It's function IRL was for docking, in KSP it's just regular comms.

That's all correct, it's coming though... Eventually :) 

If you had to choose the scheme for a Monoprop Frigate?

Aqoco6m.png
pU58D4H.png
3HH6bzq.png
ciXBN5Z.png And the standard LFO.

JyuQCC1.png

Remember that station module I called Raskat? The one that carried the funny multisystem node? Well, time has come for it to remember that old Mir concept of everything FGB-based being a spaceship. Long story short, there's a Gemini in a 9° inclined orbit around Kerbin. That Gemini is carrying Valentina Kerman and a crapload of data from the Mun. A few novelties would be appreciated on the ground, but most of that data is repeats for processing in a science module. Val was actually supposed to pick the data up from a returning Munar mission and deliver it to Zarya station. Well...

4Or5tL5.png

Spoiler

bBQLHbf.png

Well, she was, until her little ship ran out of fuel AND monoprop halfway to the station's orbital plane. That's what poor planning does to your missions.

So what do we do? Announce mission abort and fire the retro rockets? Bah, that's not the Kerbal way. But on the other hand, have Val stuck in orbit for days, until the resupply barrel is ready to launch? Kan you kall yourself a kosmonaut after that, komrade?

DBJDgFd.png

And that's where Raskat comes into play. And the multisystem node. And, of course, our bold Jonble, who is actually an engineer, not a pilot, but what if Val needs a helping wrench?

BsAfKGh.png

The ship is fuelled up with all monoprop the station has (good thing a resupply vessel arrived not long ago) and leaves off for the journey.

cC1ACHF.png

Matching planes, preparing to intercept...

NAzGu8W.png

Ah, there you are!

hohMpWL.png

Meanwhile, Val's problems just won't end! Now the X-pointer is refusing to work. Well, we can dock with FDAI alone, righty-right?

qmKrpFE.png

*five attempts later* Told you so! Everything seems fine... Except there's no place in Raskat to store scientific info. Hey, it's a space tug, not a flying lab!

4PfnvZh.png

But it's a tug, on the other hand, so what if we just fire up those engines and... Oh noes, the Gemini is actually wider than the Raskat engine setup, even if we drop the tank. And that means there's no point in firing the engines - the Kraken will hold us firmly in place and eat all the thrust we produce. Well, this leaves us with one option. Which is...

8soSNBe.png

...refuel the Gemini and fly to the station separately, yes. And refuel again, because a Gemini with its tanks full has just a bit less dV than needed for a 9° correction. Yes, Val, we know you are starting to hate this mission. Yes, we did think you'd be at home before lunch.

DZB2pIc.png

And we can kind of imagine how you feel about long waits, but Raskat has barely enough fuel to get back to the station. Mission abort, Jonble. Or mission putoff at least.

The good: there was almost enough fuel left to get to the station and slow down for docking. The bad: there was ALMOST enough fuel...

DqTgHsO.png

The good: a Soyuz with a fresh shift has arrived, and there's an engineer onboard! The bad: all of the station's tools are drifting away slowly in Jonble's ship.

DL48rzl.png

Nevertheless, through many a heroic feat (of flying between the ship and the station without even a single spare fuel bottle) by our other engineer, Kimtris, a small tank of monoprop is brought to the ship (Remember to clean your suit before going in, Kimtris! The stuff is freaking toxic!) 

lLGs88z.png

And so, Raskat finally begins the final approach.

VwH4myE.png

Textbook docking. Hey, guys on the Soyuz, have any monoprop? What, you call that a full supply?! Hang in there, Val...

Edited by TK-313

@Beale thanks for the tip! I've checked out both, and they're nice, but, well, this super functional IVA (and somewhat challenging, yes) for the FASA version has definitely spoiled me. Actually, I'm even starting to think about how hard it can be to learn some Unity and put some ASET thingies in your pods :)

14 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

@Beale What about separating to Soyuz heatshield like on the VA? it makes everything more modular and it's just kinda weird that one capsule has an integrated heatshield and the other don't

That san interesting one, but I'd weigh in and say that the real Soyuz re-entry capsule doesn't  jettision is heat shield like others, it only really sheds it immediately prior to landing when the soft landing rockets fire.

56 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

@Beale What about separating to Soyuz heatshield like on the VA? it makes everything more modular and it's just kinda weird that one capsule has an integrated heatshield and the other don't

Can't think of many advantages to be honest.  The heat-shield is so flat that a separate part would be difficult to use thin.

Speaking of heat-shield:

We have an 'ANY' folder in Tantares that currently only contains probe core discs, I have plans here for a few more generic parts:

• Heatshields, 1.25m, 1.875m (Identical to VA but different colour) and 2.5m.
  • Docking ports (Your regular APAS-89 style in 0.625, 0.9375, 1.25). (Maybe, I need to first cooperate with @cxg2827 here).
  • Adapters, a lot of them.
Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

That san interesting one, but I'd weigh in and say that the real Soyuz re-entry capsule doesn't  jettision is heat shield like others, it only really sheds it immediately prior to landing when the soft landing rockets fire.

Actually I watched the livestream of the Soyuz MS-02 landing a few weeks ago and it jettisoned its heatshield quite high, I'd say something like 5-10 minutes prior to landing

Edited by NeoFatalis

Hey Beale, love your parts, building my own Mir right now :)

Got me interested in how they made the star shape if only one port on the node on the core module could be used for docking and came across this beauty

640px-Mir_arm1.jpg

From Wikipedia: "Each of the Kvant-2, Kristall, Spektr and Priroda modules was equipped with one of these arms, which, after the module had docked to the core module's forward port, grappled one of two fixtures positioned on the core module's hub module."

613px-RP1357_p165_Repositioning_Kvant_mo

"The module's main docking probe was then retracted, and the arm raised the module so that it could be pivoted 90 degrees for docking to one of the four radial docking ports."

Thought it was some pretty cool trivia :P

8 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

I like #2. My wife likes #2 and #4.

5 hours ago, Legcutter said:

This one.

My dog likes №3, but he's colorblind.

1 hour ago, onlinegamesz said:

This one

Thanks for the feedback,

I've settled on this design, which should look great with an addition of a Monoprop orbital module.

XVyi1rV.png