[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

60%, I mean the OMs should be 60% mass and cost of the comparable command module. So Tantares OM would be 60% of Tantares CM.

Never even though about reaction wheels :sealed:

Yes, the drain is the same on all of them, I think. Which is a bit ridiculous.

Since I worked out that it was roughly impossible to balance them smoothly whatever you do to the OM's at this point works for me ;)

Looking at everything else I don't see anything about the pods probes and crew cans to get particularly nitpicky about aside from again make the reaction wheels sane

(ok a few like "why no science lab part on salyut? :(", or "argh built in decoupler I will stage on accident on the alnair! :mad:", and "gee the ATV sure is heavy before you fill it with the weight of its cargo", and then really silly thoughts like "I really wish the alnair did what the hgr radish and spud did and had multiple bottom nodes with size adapting fairings configured to them", or "if the almach is heavier doesn't that mean we can make its decoupler lighter? or stuff it full of batteries and monoprop?", this ones just plain crazy "what if one of the parabolic antennas on the libra was actually and incognito sun tracking solarthermal solar panel?", but nothing worth making a scene over ;))

So yeah I'm done making proposals before the next release.

Edited by passinglurker

Hello Beale, I love the mod, it's one of my go to's for KSP and just have to show something cool i just made with this....

I present to thee

lsiXCx3.png

MINI MIR! while not really like mir but but still pretty cool, i am preparing to insert into munar orbit using its propulsion block

Mein Dear Beale, I find the Tantares IVAs a bit bland and boring. In a future update could you update the IVAs with more Detail and Props?

Yes, many of the IVAs need redoing. The Soyuz OM has always bugged me because there are no hatches leading to the descent module or to the docking mechanism. Most of the IVAs, especially the station parts, appear too empty, and just don't give the appearance of a cluttered space station. If Beale could add some Velcro patches, some bags attached to the walls, maybe some sticky notes placed here and there, and they would be great!

My own Mir moved a step further today as the Quantum 2 module docked and relocated to it's proper position on the hub. MechJeb guidance was jettisoned by design with the ALV 3rd stage. Rendezvous and Docking were handled manually.

The Core (Salute 7) has an AR-202 aboard and I don't want multiples on the station, so this will be the technique for the remaining modules as well.

0k5Clso.png

that's nice, huntsman, but be careful with all those riech things. some people are very sensitive about .... references. nice ship!

That's the question of human ignorance about history. I personally like the "steampunk" aesthetics of the Second Empire (1870-1918). And I guess Huntsman was referring to it. As I remember, on the forums there was already a "witch hunt" of someone because he was also keen on 19 century German style. Sad that people don't know history.

Since I worked out that it was roughly impossible to balance them smoothly whatever you do to the OM's at this point works for me ;)

Looking at everything else I don't see anything about the pods probes and crew cans to get particularly nitpicky about aside from again make the reaction wheels sane

(ok a few like "why no science lab part on salyut? :(", or "argh built in decoupler I will stage on accident on the alnair! :mad:", and "gee the ATV sure is heavy before you fill it with the weight of its cargo", and then really silly thoughts like "I really wish the alnair did what the hgr radish and spud did and had multiple bottom nodes with size adapting fairings configured to them", or "if the almach is heavier doesn't that mean we can make its decoupler lighter? or stuff it full of batteries and monoprop?", this ones just plain crazy "what if one of the parabolic antennas on the libra was actually and incognito sun tracking solarthermal solar panel?", but nothing worth making a scene over ;))

So yeah I'm done making proposals before the next release.

Ah, a lot of issues there are, it is true.

Well, we will continue in the quest for balance, I'm sure.

Hello Beale, I love the mod, it's one of my go to's for KSP and just have to show something cool i just made with this....

I present to thee

http://i.imgur.com/lsiXCx3.png

MINI MIR! while not really like mir but but still pretty cool, i am preparing to insert into munar orbit using its propulsion block

Hey, I do like that! Mini-things are cool.

The fact that you plan to move it is even cooler!

Lemme see the end result!

Yes, many of the IVAs need redoing. The Soyuz OM has always bugged me because there are no hatches leading to the descent module or to the docking mechanism. Most of the IVAs, especially the station parts, appear too empty, and just don't give the appearance of a cluttered space station. If Beale could add some Velcro patches, some bags attached to the walls, maybe some sticky notes placed here and there, and they would be great!

I can agree, the Soyuz OM in particular was due a remake since I re-did the Soyuz DM.

Salyut IVAs are all due a makeover also, since the windows on the new exterior models are quite a bit bigger.

I think I can ask, is potentially an IVA like the Salyut control section is currently, more what you have in mind? :)

My own Mir moved a step further today as the Quantum 2 module docked and relocated to it's proper position on the hub. MechJeb guidance was jettisoned by design with the ALV 3rd stage. Rendezvous and Docking were handled manually.

The Core (Salute 7) has an AR-202 aboard and I don't want multiples on the station, so this will be the technique for the remaining modules as well.

http://i.imgur.com/0k5Clso.png

Aw man!

I do enjoy seeing this develop :)

I am not quite sure what the AR-202 is, though?

Well, this, I guess?

Hey Beale, heavy Angara has been successfully launched today, it's time for PPTS. :D

I'm just joking, although I must admit your speed is amazing. :)

Good news!

I know I am the least reliable person for planning (Supposed to be working on planetary probes right now), but maybe PPTS soon :)

Behold The Vurixoizanim Orbital Transport Vehicle! The First Ship Ever to be launched by the Kerbal Reich in our Quest for Complete Domination of the Kerbol System! http://i.imgur.com/7By31Mb.jpg?1

Pretty nice!

Somewhat hard to see for the lighting, but I like the RCS modules on "spokes" (?), looks pretty.

TLV Engines

One small tweak I hope people will enjoy, the TLV Engine can now have a multi-mode engine setup, meaning the ability to switch between Booster mode (current stats) and core mode (lower thrust, little higher ISP).

that TLV rebalance sounds good

The TLV multi-mode sounds like a great idea. This will eliminate one of the engines from the catalog, correct? Are you keeping the Orange scheme or the gray scheme?

(Psst. Keep the orange...)

The orange is safe.

The multi-module stuff is just to allow people some flexibility in different designs, without adding any more parts.

Pssst... The texture tutorial is almost done :wink:

The rebalance idea seems interesting, it is fun how it came up for two stockalike mods together: NecroBones in his SpaceY made the Falcon 9 1st stage engine with the landing regime as it is planned by Elon. :)

Is that so? I had not come across it! (promise)

I think it is a preferable option, rather than having yet another part.

Also, part three of the tutorial series is up.

Sadly, I would not expect the "final" parts of the series until after the holiday.

But, this should be a reasonable introduction to some texturing methodology I use, and with the resources already available in the modeling and texturing sub-forum, getting Unity started and getting the part into game should not be so difficult for you resourceful folk!

uGiTSlQ.png

Woot!!

300 pages!!

'Tis a momentous day! *sniff* I'm so proud of you Beale!!

Very happy :)

It's time to double this guy! Seriously, what should we expect next? N-1? Angara? PPTS?

Also, launch video:

Nice video!

What is next? Hard to say.

Not likely anything big until new year.

I had mentioned N-1 is a possibility now the Energia is going "elsewhere".

After FUJI and ATV get released, I need to give IVAs to some existing parts.

Then... N-1? PPTS?

Angara - Not so sure...

I also have a half-modeled Venera and Mars-3 lander lying around... :(

What would people like for PPTS?

Myself, I think I would like 1.875m to 0.625m, to make it compatible with existing Tantares port, but obviously this kind of makes the potential for a high-capacity module null.

Edited by Beale

For PPTS, It has a bell shaped module and judging from the image, you might get away with 2.5 --> 1.25 with docking probe.

Don't forget the huge orbital module (6 people in a 15 metre long module?? :0.0:)

That's comfy living by space standards!!

PPTS is so mainstream... real men fly with Zarya ^^

Ah, the Soyuz Gunship!

If I wasn't such a hippie I'd like to make that :wink:

For PPTS, It has a bell shaped module and judging from the image, you might get away with 2.5 --> 1.25 with docking probe.

Don't forget the huge orbital module (6 people in a 15 metre long module?? :0.0:)

That's comfy living by space standards!!

Hmmm, the bell shape I think is very very subtle on the PPTS, at a glance it is conical.

PPTS-03.jpg

From that image, ya, 2.5m is better size.

The heatshield structure is also a bit different.

ppts_propulsion_sep_1.jpg

Also, there is the OM

iss_approach_2.jpg

Also, I think really interesting is the potential for "Dragon-2-Style" propulsive landing.

Edited by Beale

Definitely 2.5 ---> 1.25 from end to end of the re-entry module.

Any progress on ATV??

Or, for that matter, the Planetary probes??

#3000 Get! (I'm such a child)

ATV and FUJI, potentially release tonight :)

Just need to develop some names and funny descriptions + final balancing stuff.

(Fuji is made by "Tanto-Rofu Corp." )

Planetary probes, Venera is kinda nice, needs a texture though!

Edited by Beale