[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Giving, I think, a last flight of old Soyuz design in RO, while updating configs for Vostok Engine. Unfortunately, the MJ2 failed to put it into orbit, but thankfully Jeb landed 100km from Chinese border, so the ship shouldn't have been destroyed:

zfLRefr_csA.jpg

jZvf8MWeY18.jpg

AGC1A181Yk0.jpg

1FyPaju0A2I.jpg

ufYumi9eIG8.jpg

NVrhUXcAy58.jpg

s_zg7rHEhJo.jpg

About the SM's ∆-v nerfing, I believe it should at least have enough to get to and back from a 250km station, plus some extra ∆-v laying around for some extra maneuvers. I remember reading about this Progress mission to the ISS that, after undocking, instead of deorbiting right away, it went to a higher orbit to deploy a micro satellite, after which it deorbited. Besides deploying payloads from its docking port after undocking, once in a while, Progresses also flew in free flight for multiple days after undocking to participate in scientific experiments.

TL;DR: I believe 800 to 1,000 m/s of ∆-v (900 m/s if I had to pick an exact number) would sound reasonable.

Edited by AppleDavidJeans

I waited for Soyuz revamp quite a lot, oh boy. And I adore it.

Have a couple of things to suggest. It's maybe a little too late, because I have a little more problems with my connection.

Well. I wanted to ask, Beale, if it is possible to consider some way to make "long-nosed" docking ports like on 7K-OK series (maybe a .625m battery?), and a pretty androgynous docking port which was used for ASTP (but not sure what functionality would it include).

And new OM and SM are just gorgeous. Looking forward to return and test'em out.

Edited by nothingSpecial
> fings

Yes, 7K-OK docking port and APAS docking port would be nice, but I don't know if they are necessary. We already have the Igla/Kurs port, and Kontakt seems to be in the near future as well. Stock docking ports can already attach to themselves like APAS, and 7K-OK docking ports would have no difference other than appearance, as the game cares not for whether or not the docking ports are intended to allow crew transfer.

Have a couple of things to suggest. It's maybe a little too late, because I have a little more problems with my connection.

Well. I wanted to ask, Beale, if it is possible to consider some way to make "long-nosed" docking ports like on 7K-OK series (maybe a .625m battery?), and a pretty androgynous docking port which was used for ASTP (but not sure what functionality would it include).

You can make your own "long nose" Soyuz by using the new part movement in the VAB with 0.90 , just put a monoprop tank (or whatever) on the top of the orbital module then gizmo it down a few steps. Works great.

One of my favorite mods, great pieces to play with! I have two requests, though:

1) Could you (or someone) make a guide on how to assemble various historical pieces and their purpose?

2) Could you please include the date of the latest update in the title of the thread? It would make it a lot easier to keep track of what mods I need to update.

Thanks for all the work!

I tried to do an Apollo-style Mun mission with the ATV and an ion lander. The ion lander didn't work, but the ATV performed with style.

http://imgur.com/a/U1fYy

Nice!

The lander? Did it died?

I might try a Minmus ION tonight :)

Oooh... definitely digging that new Soyuz solar array.

Glad :)

As before there are fixed and rotating, fixed will have standardized yellow underside.

bdcb79c779.jpg

As requested - N1-L3-Alike II

http://imgur.com/a/k6fu4

Cool!

Nice news tv mockup also :)

The nested landing looks really impressive, if a little dangerous.

Fairwell, old friend.

Can you enable repercussions for landing in another country in RSS? That would be a kinda cool (if small and pointless) feature.

About the SM's ∆-v nerfing, I believe it should at least have enough to get to and back from a 250km station, plus some extra ∆-v laying around for some extra maneuvers. I remember reading about this Progress mission to the ISS that, after undocking, instead of deorbiting right away, it went to a higher orbit to deploy a micro satellite, after which it deorbited. Besides deploying payloads from its docking port after undocking, once in a while, Progresses also flew in free flight for multiple days after undocking to participate in scientific experiments.

TL;DR: I believe 800 to 1,000 m/s of ∆-v (900 m/s if I had to pick an exact number) would sound reasonable.

Perhaps a 1,000m/s is good.

It currently sits at 1,200m/s comfortably, which is enough to go to Minmus and land (I think), no good.

Yes, 7K-OK docking port and APAS docking port would be nice, but I don't know if they are necessary. We already have the Igla/Kurs port, and Kontakt seems to be in the near future as well. Stock docking ports can already attach to themselves like APAS, and 7K-OK docking ports would have no difference other than appearance, as the game cares not for whether or not the docking ports are intended to allow crew transfer.

Many thanks :)

As pTrevTrevs have put it, I am sometimes a little wary of part "bloat", though some things might be cool to have, sometimes generics are better.

Regarding the "long nose", the new female port is slightly longer than the male counterpart, so maybe, eh.

One of my favorite mods, great pieces to play with! I have two requests, though:

1) Could you (or someone) make a guide on how to assemble various historical pieces and their purpose?

2) Could you please include the date of the latest update in the title of the thread? It would make it a lot easier to keep track of what mods I need to update.

Thanks for all the work!

Good to hear! :)

1. Aside from the craft files (Which you can grab on the front page), I personally am not so sure, maybe I can add some examples to the IMGUR gallery.

2. Sure, good idea.

Beale, Is The Salyut and MIR Parts Going to Also Get a Much Needed Revamp?

"Much needed" might be abit strong for the Salyut IMO, as it was redone fairly recently and I think looks pretty good (aside from a few texture foibles).

For the TKS (FGB), yeah it is.

Unfortunately no, there are no politics in RSS (I think thankfully), but I want to say I've made an update on config for Vostok and fixed that one awful bug I forgot onR-7, causing it to lose LOx because of boiling. So, it's now a bit more effective and here are the pics of a test flight:

7GCe7eX8jT8.jpg

LzqPfA6B6ME.jpg

tZOMPnSocik.jpg

r2jCc7nrJ8o.jpg

Lgy0-nAuOp4.jpg

Unfortunately no, there are no politics in RSS (I think thankfully), but I want to say I've made an update on config for Vostok and fixed that one awful bug I forgot onR-7, causing it to lose LOx because of boiling. So, it's now a bit more effective and here are the pics of a test flight:

http://cs623921.vk.me/v623921511/14782/7GCe7eX8jT8.jpg

http://cs623921.vk.me/v623921511/1478c/LzqPfA6B6ME.jpg

http://cs623921.vk.me/v623921511/14796/tZOMPnSocik.jpg

http://cs623921.vk.me/v623921511/147a0/r2jCc7nrJ8o.jpg

http://cs623921.vk.me/v623921511/147aa/Lgy0-nAuOp4.jpg

Well, the pictures do not load for me, which is a shame, but, it always great to hear RO progress! Thank you for your continued work on this!

Niemand303, Beautiful pictures!

Beale, Does this mean that you're redesigning the Salyut as well? Why the sudden desire to redesign everything? I'm not complaining, it means more content for us. :cool:

Salyut can use minor touchups in texture, to make it less plain (I'm thinking more texture), but generally, I am happy with the current model :)

New solar panel models though, will affect Salyut and MIR ships alike, but shouldn't break craft.

What probably doesn't need re-doing:

• Fuji
  • Vostok (Aside from new capsule texture to match new Soyuz)
  • ATV
  • Cygnus
  • The Castor parts (Does anyone even know these exist? :wink: )
  • Venera

Well, I am not too happy with the FUJI, but, it it so recent, I won't touch it.

To be honest, the Fuji is cursed, everytime I have made it, I've gone straight into a revamp soon after.

Edit: I am wrong, a few Salyut (Vega) parts will be needing new models, notably the docking ports (And probably the Kvant, I'd imagine).

P.S. Many thanks for the poll feedback so far!

A pattern is fast emerging!

Something in SM was making me feel weird and I had no idea what it was, but then when I saw the soyuz pic, I found that it is because SM is just too blank and bottom RCS thrusters are standing

Out too much. OM and DM really awesome, but I don't know how good is SM. I liked the old one more

Ah, I understand your concerns on it.

I am not so fond to add too much "greeble" to a parts texture unless it makes sense.

Ehm, perhaps with RCS thrusters, it will look less plain.

Edited by Beale

Nice!

The lander? Did it died?

I might try a Minmus ION tonight :)

I think I did something to bug Mechjeb's delta-V and TWR information, because the craft had nowhere near as much power as it said it did. So Bob got to explore the Munar surface, just very closely and at 200 m/s.

they exist due to accidental uploading of WIP files.

Haha!

I had forgotten their origin.

Yes, I know now why they are so out of place... :)

I think I did something to bug Mechjeb's delta-V and TWR information, because the craft had nowhere near as much power as it said it did. So Bob got to explore the Munar surface, just very closely and at 200 m/s.

I very much like your wording of "splat". :)

I've had a minor fascination with the idea of an ION lander since watching this:

Since you are doing a new capsule for Vostok... Maybe a probe core with photo?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Zenit_space_vehicle.jpg

It is possible!

Depending on how I set up the UV and all that jazz, could be a very straightforward process to have both unique parts.

Yeah, the current salyut looks good outside, but inside that's too dull and empty. IMHO that would wonderful to make there some bags, buttons, posters, newspapers to make everything more comfy.

Also, this revamp looks awesome!:D

Many thanks! :)

IVAs: the Salyut, I like them, but yes you are right, they look like a box waiting for cargo, empty.

In fact, most IVAs currently, this is the case.

I've been trying to get a hold of a few IVA props, and make a few of my own (Though a little unsuccessfully).

To anyone who is maybe interested in modelling these kind of things, maybe drop me a PM eh? (I know it is rare for me to ask for co-operation on development, but I have hit a brick wall in detailed modelling like this) It's really not my area, and progress of getting better is slow. I'm talking specifically about chairs, etc. Important props that I have been using the Squad models (Which have insane poly counts and huge textures).

Oh, and one more thing, maybe a slightly bigger housing space in Salyut? It hosts now maximum of 4 kerbals, I'd prefer having like in the good old days, 3 in big module, 2 in the middle and one in small. I watched recently an old Soviet film about Salyut stations, it turned out later Salyuts had 6 working places to sit, just like yours before refurbishment. :)

Oh, and one more thing, maybe a slightly bigger housing space in Salyut? It hosts now maximum of 4 kerbals, I'd prefer having like in the good old days, 3 in big module, 2 in the middle and one in small. I watched recently an old Soviet film about Salyut stations, it turned out later Salyuts had 6 working places to sit, just like yours before refurbishment. :)

Perhaps is better.

In fact, the fact that only 2 kerbals can fit inside the current big Salyut part seems a bit silly.

Eh, I think more is better, but it should probably be a slightly heavier module to balance it out.

Soyuz RCS

b0928f23b8.jpg

Nice Soyuz Solar array!!

Will we get a new series of Super Beale Texture Dev Adventures?? My fingers are crossed.

Texture drama:

Bit late on the Soyuz, as the textures are more or less finished.

This texture here: Hopefully we will fit on the LOK engine and the parachute.

0037ba8ea5.jpg

This one here, hopefully we will fit the Antenna.

8f2f7a0f31.jpg

But I am happy to reduce the Soyuz to only two 1024x1024 textures, a huge saving in memory and HDD space, the soyuz has gone from 30MB to ~10MB :)

Hey Beale,

I love your mod and the Revamp so far, but I am a little concerned about the Solar Panels...

Will there still be the fixed solar panels like this one?

t4tP1vM.png

I actually enjoy rotating my crafts manually :confused:

Mille grazie!

Sackpfeife

Hey Beale,

I love your mod and the Revamp so far, but I am a little concerned about the Solar Panels...

Will there still be the fixed solar panels like this one?

http://i.imgur.com/t4tP1vM.png

I actually enjoy rotating my crafts manually :confused:

Mille grazie!

Sackpfeife

Ciao!

Don't worry, you are not forgotten:

Fixed panels are always available (I actually prefer them).

3d4fa993af.jpg

While it might add dependencies, there is the ALCOR Prop pack. IIRC there aren't many hoops to jump through to use it, and it has many high quality props for IVA's....

Sounds good, I will check it out, many thanks :)

[*]Vostok (Aside from new capsule texture to match new Soyuz)

If so - I suppose, it should have thermal protection all over the surface, that was the main reason they have chosen the sphere, as I've read recently, they thought about having headlight shape Soyuz-style, but went for simplicity and minimal surface for minimal coverage.