[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

As an small off-topic, it makes me wonder why some people are so fascinated with CKAN. I never used it, and I never will - simply because I prefer tight totalitarian control over my GameData folder, which means I know every mod installed and I track its updates manually. It's simply more reliable than leave it all to some third-party piece of occasionally buggy code.

Its useful for complex stuff which it breaks (RO for example...best way of sorting the dependancies is with CKAN but letting CKAN download everything at once gives you a temp ban from kerbalstuff so you try again a minute later and download more stuff and so on).

It only installs the game data folder so if you have a favourite parts pack with alternate textures (as a completely random example), your never going to see the textures unless you hunt for it. So in fairness it doesn't run riot through your directory structure like some other Non-KSP mod systems do.

Persoanlly I find it useful for listing mods that I may be interested in (most of them have the forum links to look at the posting for)

Theres a lot of mods I refuse to use it for (Tantares...I don't think CKAN can keep up with Beale when he's on a roll).

I know Ferram has let rip a few times about the problems trying to support CKAN installs, particularly when other people post his mods on it.

I also know that a lot of the CKAN installs can be buggy (some packages in CKAN haven't kept up with the download packages and you only figure it out if you start looking at checksums) and install badly. So I usually use it for stuff I want to take a quick look at or can't be bothered tracking. Also because the versioning rigour has been a little flexible, I usually check the forum posting for each package to make sure it says 1.0.2

That being said...I continually get weird stuff happening on odd CKAN packages. AMP for example always dropped me to 10 frames a sec when I was using a rocket, and Crew Manifest had a bad habit of seriously mucking up where Kerbals were supposed to be - both of those won't that apparent in the normal packages, just my CKAN installs of them were weird

So TL;DR version..CKAN has its uses but it isn't the be all or end all, I've used packaging systems in Linux and BSD so I've seen how good it can be but I think CKAN needs a bit more maturity time

In the nicest possible way, they are ALL up-to-date with 1.0.2.

I use CKAN to install my mods, just like I did with yours.

Wth that many add-ons, I'm not sure "up to date" has anything to do with it at that point. I can't imagine being able to track how those mods interact with each other. As stated, Tantares is a parts mod. It won't cause that type of issue. Go to the support thread for modded installs. I'm fairly impressed that your computer can run that build at all frankly.

I don't know if this is a known issue but the ablator of all the capsules does not 'ablate' during reentry. Is there a fix for this?

Any part with some fuel inside (monoprop in case of capsules) becomes extra-resistant to reentry heat. Try to remove it from the capsule - and they'll start to "ablate".

Congrats on the little one!

Just noticed one small thing - Farshot engine doesn't have a fuel cell functionality anymore. Is this intended?

Many thanks!

Yeah it was intended, but maybe I will restore it :)

In the nicest possible way, they are ALL up-to-date with 1.0.2.

I use CKAN to install my mods, just like I did with yours.

Hmm, okay.

But, still, I will insist this is just a problem with the amount of mods - I'm not sure how I can help you- without installing every single one of those mods one by one.

I don't know if this is a known issue but the ablator of all the capsules does not 'ablate' during reentry. Is there a fix for this?

As mentioned it is the current aerodynamics, you may want to beef up the heat damage in the config files :)

New docking mechanism.

Not sloped to differentiate it with the 0.625m port.

c3e425b916.jpg

d0f2819499.jpg

Many thanks!

Yeah it was intended, but maybe I will restore it :)

Hmm, okay.

But, still, I will insist this is just a problem with the amount of mods - I'm not sure how I can help you- without installing every single one of those mods one by one.

As mentioned it is the current aerodynamics, you may want to beef up the heat damage in the config files :)

New docking mechanism.

Not sloped to differentiate it with the 0.625m port.

http://puu.sh/hUkpl/c3e425b916.jpg

http://puu.sh/hUkqP/d0f2819499.jpg

Small bit of design feedback. Looks fantastic. :D70AbFXm.jpg I think it implies too large a shape. If you increased the area of the mating face a bit, it would remain the same size, but not look like a gaping large mouth bass. (Sorry, I couldn't find any more descriptive imagery to get across how it makes me feel.) I like the idea that the bevel helps tell it apart from the 0.625m port, but I wouldn't compromise how you think it should look in game for that. The latter is far more important. After all, all the Mir solar panels look the same in the editor catalog, and it's not too difficult a task to pick the right one for the job.

Oh! And, I managed to get this far. Haven't worked out exactly how to do the joints in Blender, but I'm learning. hcyK5Ihl.png

Edited by curtquarquesso

Small bit of design feedback. Looks fantastic. :Dhttp://i.imgur.com/70AbFXm.jpg I think it implies too large a shape. If you increased the area of the mating face a bit, it would remain the same size, but not look like a gaping large mouth bass. (Sorry, I couldn't find any more descriptive imagery to get across how it makes me feel.) I like the idea that the bevel helps tell it apart from the 0.625m port, but I wouldn't compromise how you think it should look in game for that. The latter is far more important. After all, all the Mir solar panels look the same in the editor catalog, and it's not too difficult a task to pick the right one for the job.

Oh! And, I managed to get this far. Haven't worked out exactly how to do the joints in Blender, but I'm learning. http://i.imgur.com/hcyK5Ihl.png

The bevel is interesting, could work. People's preferences?

6f06784336.jpg

As for the width, I don't know - this is based from orthographic drawings so should all be the right size.

Your antenna thing is looking nice!

Model the separate parts as separate models, with the hinge point at 0,0,0 - this make it easier to animate in Unity.

Also the "traditional" OM with 0.625m top.

351acc3a1f.jpg

And "traditional" port.

42b9dcc901.jpg

Edited by Beale

The bevel is interesting, could work. People's preferences?

http://puu.sh/hUnmP/6f06784336.jpg

As for the width, I don't know - this is based from orthographic drawings so should all be the right size.

Your antenna thing is looking nice!

Model the separate parts as separate models, with the hinge point at 0,0,0 - this make it easier to animate in Unity.

If you look at the thing head on, it just looks a bit wider than your current iteration.

iss-19_soyuz-tma-15.jpg

Were there variations in the design over the years perhaps? Which gen adapter are you referencing?

What I might do with the hinges is just use one hinge at the base, and pre-pose the rest of it to curve to the OM so the end of the antenna sits near the docking probe. Plus, there's a chance that's how it was IRL. I can't see any cables or motors that articulate the rest of the arm, so I'm assuming it just had a bit of an an

The picture is also of a different model Soyuz, isn't it? See, it doesn't even have the IGLA antenna.

The soyuz on the picture is a soyuz TMA, who doesn't use the IGLA docking system, he is also using an APAS docking port :P

The picture is also of a different model Soyuz, isn't it? See, it doesn't even have the IGLA antenna.

It is, but the basic probe and drogue system has remained largely the same over the years. Only difference would be Soyuz OK. That one had a really bulky looking docking port. The Soyuz-T, and the Soyuz-TMA have nearly the exact same docking system. Appearance-wise, they're indistinguishable.

The soyuz on the picture is a soyuz TMA, who doesn't use the IGLA docking system, he is also using an APAS docking port :P

As far as I know, the only times an APAS was installed on a Soyuz OM was for ASTP, and a Mir mission in preparation for the Buran.

Here is a neat thread I found about the APAS port: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22235

Also, @Beale, here's an image of either Pirs' or Poisk's hybrid docking port. It's more similar to what you have currently. Are you modeling a hybrid docking port instead of the normal probe and drogue only on the Soyuz?

iss003e5620.jpg

I'm currently experiencing a bug where the ATV body, tank, and forward adapter do not show up for me in the tech tree and can't be used. I can load them with a craft file, but I can't launch them because they are "Unavailable".

I'm currently experiencing a bug where the ATV body, tank, and forward adapter do not show up for me in the tech tree and can't be used. I can load them with a craft file, but I can't launch them because they are "Unavailable".

I'll ask the stupid questions before I test this myself. Were the ATV parts part of a contract to test them at some point? I'm going to assume you've unlocked them, and paid for the initial part development and manufacturing.

Because the Control block, the tank, and the adapter are the ones you have issues with, and not the engine I'm assuming, which is unlocked at a different tech node, then I can assume it's an issue with the tech tree, and likely not Tantares, though I've really yet to do a good career run with Tantares. Waiting for 64K Kerbin to get updated... What tech tree modifiers are you running?

The modern soyuz replaced the IGLA system with KURS since the 1980's. The smaller antenna of tantares' earlier releases represents the new docking system

I'm not running any tech tree mods, they aren't even in the tech tree. I haven't seen a contract that gives me the part. I downloaded the craft files for tantares, I'm able to load up the ariane + ATV file and the parts do show up, but I'm unable to launch it.

Beale, please, is it possible if you find the time to make a Tantares like texture pack for Procedural Parts? It sure hurts my eyes when I use procedural parts tanks and their textures do not match those of your awesome mod.

Not sure if this is useful but

Linked are configs for a rework of the three proton engines in TantaresLV.

Basically make a folder in your game data directory (It don't have to be inside the TantaresLV folder) and drop these into it..then you will find three duplicate engines appearing with names starting "Altered ALV" (so they'll be next to the normal ones.

Specific changes are..

Thrust on Block B and C engines have been nerfed to match TWR of the actual rocket

Fuel on Block A reduced ~25% which makes its Surface TWR match the correct value for a 20 ton payload

Cost of Block A seriousy reduced to cost:Thrust and Cost:Fuel ratio match a mainsail with equivalent tank

Total Delta V is way better but still a touch high to allow for high inclination orbits

Let me know if this is helpful or if I shouldn't be doing this kind of thing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/911z2y5f4liv1zp/Tantares_ALV_Rework.zip?dl=0

Hey anyone got time for an almost certainly dumb question? I recently acquired access to a KSP-capable computer, but after installing RO, and Tantares and Tantares LV via CKAN, almost every single part (except Proton and R7) are "non-RO"! Anyone know why and how to fix? .~.

Edited by Kibble

If you look at the thing head on, it just looks a bit wider than your current iteration.

http://www.spacefacts.de/graph/drawing/drawings2/iss-19_soyuz-tma-15.jpg

Were there variations in the design over the years perhaps? Which gen adapter are you referencing?

What I might do with the hinges is just use one hinge at the base, and pre-pose the rest of it to curve to the OM so the end of the antenna sits near the docking probe. Plus, there's a chance that's how it was IRL. I can't see any cables or motors that articulate the rest of the arm, so I'm assuming it just had a bit of an an

Mmmm, okay, the connection points are a little thicker than I noticed. May be worth to review the model :)

Ack! I meant to fix this.

I don't think the ATV parts currently have relevant tech nodes.

Beale, please, is it possible if you find the time to make a Tantares like texture pack for Procedural Parts? It sure hurts my eyes when I use procedural parts tanks and their textures do not match those of your awesome mod.

I will see if it is possible in June!

Not sure if this is useful but

Linked are configs for a rework of the three proton engines in TantaresLV.

Basically make a folder in your game data directory (It don't have to be inside the TantaresLV folder) and drop these into it..then you will find three duplicate engines appearing with names starting "Altered ALV" (so they'll be next to the normal ones.

Specific changes are..

Thrust on Block B and C engines have been nerfed to match TWR of the actual rocket

Fuel on Block A reduced ~25% which makes its Surface TWR match the correct value for a 20 ton payload

Cost of Block A seriousy reduced to cost:Thrust and Cost:Fuel ratio match a mainsail with equivalent tank

Total Delta V is way better but still a touch high to allow for high inclination orbits

Let me know if this is helpful or if I shouldn't be doing this kind of thing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/911z2y5f4liv1zp/Tantares_ALV_Rework.zip?dl=0

Sounds nice! I'll try it soon.

Hey anyone got time for an almost certainly dumb question? I recently acquired access to a KSP-capable computer, but after installing RO, and Tantares and Tantares LV via CKAN, almost every single part (except Proton and R7) are "non-RO"! Anyone know why and how to fix? .~.

The configs should be included in the latest release of RO ~ I will check soon.

Stuff.

e3653c2cfc.jpg

20247ef541.jpg

f1be2ead9b.jpg

So yeah, naturally the old Soyuz crafts are unaffected (MOSTLY!).

dc157c1466.jpg

Still one texture sheet, I apologise in advance planeguy - the wonderful TMA textures will be broken.

5972b54f7c.jpg

Edited by Beale

Mmmm, okay, the connection points are a little thicker than I noticed. May be worth to review the model :)

Ack! I meant to fix this.

I don't think the ATV parts currently have relevant tech nodes.

I will see if it is possible in June!

Sounds nice! I'll try it soon.

The configs should be included in the latest release of RO ~ I will check soon.

Stuff.

http://puu.sh/hVjgW/e3653c2cfc.jpg

http://puu.sh/hVjii/20247ef541.jpg

http://puu.sh/hVjuF/f1be2ead9b.jpg

So yeah, naturally the old Soyuz crafts are unaffected (MOSTLY!).

http://puu.sh/hVjJU/dc157c1466.jpg

Still one texture sheet, I apologise in advance planeguy - the wonderful TMA textures will be broken.

http://puu.sh/hVjUi/5972b54f7c.jpg

Noooooooooo! Oh well, shouldnt be too hard to do it as long as I get the PSD. If you want, send the texture my way once you've settled on mapping for parts, and I can try and get TMA released at the same time or soon after the Tantares update! Once this update goes out, I can also try my hand at Shenzou and Tiangong textures.