[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

In the configs, how do you disable the blackening after losing ablator (specifically for the Gemini pod parts)? I use them on stations but tweak out the ablator. They look horrid that way...

Add these values to ModuleAblator :)

MODULE
{
charMin = 1.0
charMax = 1.0
}

Thanks a lot for all your guys' work on this MOD. I am very much enjoying it but i have a question. Am I doing something wrong? The rockets seem to be WAY overpowered. I am getting a soyuz type rocket into orbit in almost a single stage, which is to say i am separating the boosters right before reaching APO. In this design i have also removed the usual SOYUZ 3rd stage. With a PROTON type rocket, I AM getting to orbit with about 5% fuel remaining in the 1st stage!!!

Thanks a lot for all your guys' work on this MOD. I am very much enjoying it but i have a question. Am I doing something wrong? The rockets seem to be WAY overpowered. I am getting a soyuz type rocket into orbit in almost a single stage, which is to say i am separating the boosters right before reaching APO. In this design i have also removed the usual SOYUZ 3rd stage. With a PROTON type rocket, I AM getting to orbit with about 5% fuel remaining in the 1st stage!!!

Fundamentally, Kerbin is not Earth, so this cannot be totally avoided.

The rockets are scaled (fuel and weight) to stock parts (or at least they are intended to be), so they cannot match real-world performance without being artificially nerfed.

You could just copy zzz and put it out there as a seperate down load similar to your texture repo. If someone has a nutty idea they want to try they'd rather a discrete download so no one will never know if things don't work out ;)

Not a bad idea!

In 1987, following over half a decade of manned TKS flights, the decision was taken to put a Cosmonaut on the surface of the red planet before the end of 1999.

The result, development began on the ÃœðрÑÂ-VA 'þцõûþт', based on the TKS hardware heritage.

(Yes, I am creating parts based on some kind of bad fan-fiction / alternate history)

Heavy, Heavy WIP

d1e5288e0a.jpg

fc95fb768b.jpg

Edited by Beale

You are right,

all TantaresLV Engines was overpowered but the Proton is build to lift 20 tons. I have made a new calculation for all Tantares Engines and will bring this as patch in the next week. This Patch is only for stock KSP with stock physics.

With this patch the following Rockets made:

ALV ~ Proton lift 21 tons in a safe orbit with max 170km

TLV ~ Sojus/Soyuz lift 6 tons in a safe orbit with max 150km

In 1987, following over half a decade of manned TKS flights, the decision was taken to put a Cosmonaut on the surface of the red planet before the end of 1999.

The result, development began on the ÃœðрÑÂ-VA 'þцõûþт', based on the TKS hardware heritage.

(Yes, I am creating parts based on some kind of bad fan-fiction / alternate history)

Heavy, Heavy WIP

http://puu.sh/l4Tl6/d1e5288e0a.jpg

http://puu.sh/l4THq/fc95fb768b.jpg

I really like where this is going!

You are right,

all TantaresLV Engines was overpowered but the Proton is build to lift 20 tons. I have made a new calculation for all Tantares Engines and will bring this as patch in the next week. This Patch is only for stock KSP with stock physics.

Glad to hear! I was beginning to think i was crazy.

The rockets are scaled (fuel and weight) to stock parts (or at least they are intended to be), so they cannot match real-world performance without being artificially nerfed.

Not a bad idea!

Heavy, Heavy WIP

http://puu.sh/l4Tl6/d1e5288e0a.jpg

http://puu.sh/l4THq/fc95fb768b.jpg

Looks like an Apollo, but still...

I want to do a Soviet Duna mission, please make that thing happen Beale!

A thought what if a lifter was made "stubby"? probably material for a separate pack but would a soyuz rocket half the height of the "to-scale" one get more reasonable performance in the stock scale solar system?

You are right,

Aren't 170 km and 150 km insufficient? I mean, that's a pretty low altitude: on 160 km you can use higher timewarp, and after 200 km overall performance improves because of planet rendering

Easy swap everything above the first stage out for a nuclear based second stage ;) there were concepts studied if I recall correctly

I vote for a UR-700

ur700a_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants more materials on the UR-700, PM me. No reason to clutter up Beale's thread (unless he makes one :cool:)

I really like where this is going!
Looks like an Apollo, but still...

I want to do a Soviet Duna mission, please make that thing happen Beale!

Bad fanfiction, but great plan.

Still, It will be a US mission in my mind. :D

Many thanks!

@davidy, I have missed IVA questions, those old IVAs are now outdated, so no longer used.

Since you made Gemini you should make Apollo CSM, but not the LEM if you don't want to... you were talking about a new lander after all.

Aaah, I do not really have any interest in that stuff. Not a great interest enough to produce a whole new craft anyway, sorry!

I think the stock MK1-2 pod, after it is inevitably revamped, will be a fine Apollo substitute.

A thought what if a lifter was made "stubby"? probably material for a separate pack but would a soyuz rocket half the height of the "to-scale" one get more reasonable performance in the stock scale solar system?

Could be potentially very cute! I would not have the time to test and configure this unfortunately though.

Now all we need to figure out is how to launch a 5m diameter capsule on top of a 3.75m N-I, eh Beale? ;)

The whole thing will be 3.75m thankfully :)

Still, this will require a modification of the N-I, a vertical third stage that ends in 3.75m...

And a texture revamp of the entire N-I also...

ea55b8f0-1809-0132-0859-0eae5eefacd9.gif

Edited by Beale

Many thanks!

@davidy, I have missed IVA questions, those old IVAs are now outdated, so no longer used.

Aaah, I do not really have any interest in that stuff. Not a great interest enough to produce a whole new craft anyway, sorry!

I think the stock MK1-2 pod, after it is inevitably revamped, will be a fine Apollo substitute.

Could be potentially very cute! I would not have the time to test and configure this unfortunately though.

The whole thing will be 3.75m thankfully :)

Still, this will require a modification of the N-I, a vertical third stage that ends in 3.75m...

And a texture revamp of the entire N-I also...

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/141/ea55b8f0-1809-0132-0859-0eae5eefacd9.gif

I don't think that fattening the third stage is needed, just stick the third stage inside a fairing!

What sort of sizes do the launch vehicle engines come in?

I've been using the main Tantares pack (which is truly beautiful work, btw) for orbiters/stations/etc for a while now, but making my launch vehicles from stock, procedural parts, and SXT mainly, but after having scaled up my R-7 design (with the help of these schematics) none of my engines are the right size any more. 1.875m-2m engines seem to be what I mainly need at the minute. Is the LV pack the solution?

I don't think that fattening the third stage is needed, just stick the third stage inside a fairing!

How this would work? I don't quite understand.

What sort of sizes do the launch vehicle engines come in?

I've been using the main Tantares pack (which is truly beautiful work, btw) for orbiters/stations/etc for a while now, but making my launch vehicles from stock, procedural parts, and SXT mainly, but after having scaled up my R-7 design (with the help of these schematics) none of my engines are the right size any more. 1.875m-2m engines seem to be what I mainly need at the minute. Is the LV pack the solution?

The Launchers pack is not needed 100% :)

But, for launch vehicles I use these sizes for their general diameter (they are not 100% to correct IRL scale, far from it).

SOYUZ FG - 1.25m

PROTON - 2.5m

ARIANE V - 3.75m (This one is very far off).

N-I - Identical, more or less, to SXT sizing (Because Lack made the models :D ).

More pictures - quite big.

I will try to be more considerate from now on when posting large image dumps.

2cc693ad78.jpg

It's a bulky heatshield, but it is built to withstand (at least that is the excuse). It acts as the decoupler also.

9d4791172e.jpg

Heatshield Fairing.

0b299dd012.jpg

Actually I made a mistake with the heatshield slope, it is 2 degrees off. Will be fixed.

Edited by Beale

How this would work? I don't quite understand.

But, for launch vehicles I use these sizes for their general diameter (they are not 100% to correct IRL scale, far from it).

SOYUZ FG - 1.25m

PROTON - 2.5m

N-I - Identical to SXT sizing (Because Lack made the models :D ).

More pictures - quite big.

I will try to be more considerate from now on when posting large image dumps.

http://puu.sh/l5y4X/2cc693ad78.jpg

http://puu.sh/l5y5z/9d4791172e.jpg

Heatshield Fairing.

http://puu.sh/l5y9s/0b299dd012.jpg

Actually I made a mistake with the heatshield slope, it is 2 degrees off. Will be fixed.

I'm talking about the N1 third stage, just stick it inside the payload fairing.

Also Ariane scales closer to 3.125, as 3.75 is huge relative to the ATV.

And you just retextured Lack's models? :(

SOYUZ FG - 1.25m

PROTON - 2.5m

N-I - Identical, more or less, to SXT sizing (Because Lack made the models :D ).

Hmmmm, I may give the HGR 1.875m engines a try in that case, see if they fit the bill.